English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

Sorry, what fecking crime was committed? The hypocrisy is remarkable. Virtually every nation has been found guilty of it - many involving foreign objects on-field. It’s a horrible thing to do - that much is undeniable. But get the feck over it unless you similarly hate any other cricketers found guilty of it - including your own lot. No ‘crime’ was committed, and the punishment was astonishingly harsh - look at the past. This set a new precedent. Continue hating Warner, just don’t act so bitter - it’s a hideous quality.
OK mate

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Hope you’re enjoying the match x
All good for Stokes to go around coward punching blokes and nearly killing them. We can get behind that. But woe betide the moron players that committed similar acts as Atherton, Panesar, and multiple other players across every single team.

jungledrums

All good for Stokes to go around coward punching blokes and nearly killing them. We can get behind that. But woe betide the moron players that committed similar acts as Atherton, Panesar, and multiple other players across every single team.
I’m with you. Well said.

RochaRoja

All good for Stokes to go around coward punching blokes and nearly killing them.
:lol:

What Stokes did was a thuggish act and he should criticized for it but it’s nothing that doesn’t go on with lads his age in every town centre in both the UK and AUS every Friday night. Warner himself got suspended for a massive two games for punching an England player a few years ago.

David Warner is booed because he’s a total prick. He acts like a cnut on the field and he acts like a cnut off it and has for his whole career. Just an all round shit bloke.

Classical Mechanic

:lol:

What Stokes did was a thuggish act and he should criticized for it but it’s nothing that doesn’t go on with lads his age in every town centre in both the UK and AUS every Friday night. Warner himself got suspended for a massive two games for punching an England player a few years ago.

David Warner is booed because he’s a total prick. He acts like a cnut on the field and he acts like a cnut off it and has for his whole career. Just an all round shit bloke.
Thought Stokes was defending two gay blokes that were being abused? He took on two blokes as well didn’t he, one a former soldier and bouncer. Didn’t seem like a cowardly assault from what I read anyway, unless you’re referring to a different case I don’t know about.

RochaRoja

Thought Stokes was defending two gay blokes that were being abused? He took on two blokes as well didn’t he, one a former soldier and bouncer. Didn’t seem like a cowardly assault from what I read anyway, unless you’re referring to a different case I don’t know about.
Whatever the truth about the whole incident (I’ve heard contrasting stories) it was clearly unprofessional and inappropriate for Stokes to do what he did. Of course it’s ludicrous to take the moral high ground on thuggery when defending David fecking Warner though.

RochaRoja

oh shit, how dare I express sympathy with a guy who lost his child due to miscarriage caused from stress etc when I should be calling him a cheat for a crime for which he has already been punished.

Yeah I'm the one with an agenda here.
My wife suffered a miscarriage earlier this year and I still as much sympathy for Warner as he did for Jonathan Trott.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Why is Root getting so much heat?

Bayliss seems to be the moron here who's changed the teams best batsman position to accommodate someone else.
And Bayliss should also face the music. I'm not going out of my way to hate on Root, as you mention he's as much of a victim of circumstance as anyone, but he was the captain and star batsman who presided over that rubbish yesterday, it shouldn't fall to the batting coach to talk to the media.

Classical Mechanic

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Moving the county championship to extremities of the season to facilitate the one day stuff and ultimately creating a generation of players who focus on shorter formats is a different issue to the event of the World Cup and any of its subsequent side effects. Obviously there's an interdependency there but I was just talking about the World Cup as a discrete event.

It's very concerning that even with Graham Thorpe as coach who fully understands the art of test match batting, there seems to be little progression in formulating plans for pitches and attacks, staying disciplined and then cashing in on the older ball and a tiring attack.

NinjaFletch

Moving the county championship to extremities of the season to facilitate the one day stuff and ultimately creating a generation of players who focus on shorter formats is a different issue to the event of the World Cup and any of its subsequent side effects. Obviously there's an interdependency there but I was just talking about the World Cup as a discrete event.

It's very concerning that even with Graham Thorpe as coach who fully understands the art of test match batting, there seems to be little progression in formulating plans for pitches and attacks, staying disciplined and then cashing in on the older ball and a tiring attack.

He seems to be afflicted by Bayliss's insane willingness to say downright stupid things to the press:

"We've got to keep working with these players because these are the best players we have," he told TMS.

"We can look at our domestic game and what we have out there and there aren't heaps coming through at the moment."

Yep, that's the way to do it. Tell those in the county game that it's not worth their time because the management think they're worse than 67 all out.

The path to Test Cricket in this country is to biff runs in One Day stuff, nothing else matters.

ArmchairCritic

He seems to be afflicted by Bayliss's insane willingness to say downright stupid things to the press:

"We've got to keep working with these players because these are the best players we have," he told TMS.

"We can look at our domestic game and what we have out there and there aren't heaps coming through at the moment."

Yep, that's the way to do it. Tell those in the county game that it's not worth their time because the management think they're worse than 67 all out.

The path to Test Cricket in this country is to biff runs in One Day stuff, nothing else matters.
There is a large part of me just wondering if this bunch are all a bit light in between the ears. So far the most effective English batsman this series has been the guy who went away to his mentor and worked on a few fundamentals. This suggests firstly that the coaches in the England camp basically do bugger all and secondly that none of the senior batsmen have a clue about the weaknesses in their game.

There was a CricViz piece about Joe Root's backlift last year and nothing has changed since.

ArmchairCritic

Kindof mad to think Mitchell Starc is yet to feature in this series.
Nasser Hussain made an interesting point on comms about Starc's average vs top order batsman being pretty high and Starc's average vs tailenders being absurdly low. Overall I don't think Starc fits in with Australia's plans to dry up England's boundaries and force them into mistakes.

Also pretty mad is the fact that this is the first time that Cummins, Pattinson and Hazelwood have played together in test matches.

JohnnyKills

Nasser Hussain made an interesting point on comms about Starc's average vs top order batsman being pretty high and Starc's average vs tailenders being absurdly low. Overall I don't think Starc fits in with Australia's plans to dry up England's boundaries and force them into mistakes.

Also pretty mad is the fact that this is the first time that Cummins, Pattinson and Hazelwood have played together in test matches.
Yeah the Aussies have got a brilliant battery of fast bowlers haven't they. They'll be a force for a good few years with that squad.

freeurmind

weak willed

Good points. One would think though with the swing that he gets, that he would be very effective in England.

JohnnyKills

Seems another talented loss for us, & a gain for the Aus.
Think he's been in Aus for a while though hasn't he? He certainly speaks with an Aussie accent.

Not like Pietersen where we basically took him fully formed.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sick of these part time Aussie leg spinners turning into excellent batsman.

zing

Zingle balls

Heard holding say starc averages 70 Vs top five and 5 Vs bottom five. I've always felt starc was a bit of a stat padder - unplayable to tail enders. But that seemed outrageous.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Heard holding say starc averages 70 Vs top five and 5 Vs bottom five. I've always felt starc was a bit of a stat padder - unplayable to tail enders. But that seemed outrageous.
5 vs bottom five? :eek:

ArmchairCritic

That's the statistic I was referring to, thought it was Nasser and not Holding, probably wrong.

NinjaFletch

There is a large part of me just wondering if this bunch are all a bit light in between the ears. So far the most effective English batsman this series has been the guy who went away to his mentor and worked on a few fundamentals. This suggests firstly that the coaches in the England camp basically do bugger all and secondly that none of the senior batsmen have a clue about the weaknesses in their game.

There was a CricViz piece about Joe Root's backlift last year and nothing has changed since.
Cook kept going back to a non-ECB coach when he got in ruts, too.

I just don't think this England side have had a coach for four years if you listen to what the players say Bayliss does. He's a sounding board, and a nice bloke to have a chat to, but not a coach. In fact, I'm sure he's on record saying he doesn't think it is his responsibility to work on the technical side of players games at this level.

I think Dobell has suggested that he could be replaced by a potted plant, but that might be a bit harsh on the plant.

In fairness to Thorpe, I doubt that's what he actually thinks. He was trying to be diplomatic about his charges and fecked up, I think, but it's another in a line of people saying downright daft things in the England set up.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Think he's been in Aus for a while though hasn't he? He certainly speaks with an Aussie accent.

Not like Pietersen where we basically took him fully formed.
Yeah, 100% good point. From wiki, seems they moved when he was 10. So all his development is certainly due to Aus.

Still the Saffa raw talent though ;)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
That Aussie physio has been at the crease longer than England's batsmen this series.