English cricket thread

Dan_F

Great finish, well done to NZ.

I wouldn't have enforced the follow-on more down to having 2 35+ seamers and another with fitness issues but can't really criticise Stokes. It's always been the case that playing in this style would at times leave England looking a little stupid, on this occasion that happened but on another day Anderson would have scored the winning runs and he'd have everyone calling him a genius again.
I’d probably criticise Stokes for swinging at the first bouncer he got, but you could have said that in any of the other match winning innings he’s played.

Great match though and well done to New Zealand for coming back.

ChrisNelson

The follow-on is such a coin toss issue in cricket.

Whilst it seems logical to enforce it because you've got a team on the backfoot, well behind in the match and you're clearly on top in the match, it's rarely as simple as that.

As @IRN-BRUno says our bowling attack is now aging and needs to be afforded a proper rest.

NZ's first innings ended before lunch on day three and to expect us to go again for the best part of another full day was perhaps a step too far.

But the record of the current captaincy & coaching regime is so impressive that we can hardly judge them for a one run defeat, the second in Test history.

Just got to sit back and appreciate we've witnessed one of the great Tests.

slyadams

so nerve wracking.

looked like a great bet when root got out! Honestly thought we were done at that moment.
When I posted this we had Root and Stokes in, we needed 70 and they needed 5 wickets. Given we had Anderson, Broad and Leach to come in I honestly felt this was a 50/50 game but the odds had England 1-20 and NZ 9-1. If I had any kind of gambling account I'd have put a chunk on NZ at that point.

TheGame

Whilst it seems logical to enforce it because you've got a team on the backfoot, well behind in the match and you're clearly on top in the match, it's rarely as simple as that.

As @IRN-BRUno says our bowling attack is now aging and needs to be afforded a proper rest.

NZ's first innings ended before lunch on day three and to expect us to go again for the best part of another full day was perhaps a step too far.

But the record of the current captaincy & coaching regime is so impressive that we can hardly judge them for a one run defeat, the second in Test history.

Exactly this, such an impressive record compared to where we were. Now onto the summer tests.

slyadams

Not sure this is the case at all, England would have backed their bowlers to get the wickets and knew the pitch got better as it went on. They would have chased the target down had it not been for the stupid run out.
I would agree it wasn't cocky, but I do think it was a bit complacent, definitely over aggressive. There was a lot of time left in the test and we could have come in with no scoreboard pressure at all. It would have been much harder for NZ to have come in and got 483 if they needed 482 to win, for example.

JohnnyKills

I would agree it wasn't cocky, but I do think it was a bit complacent, definitely over aggressive. There was a lot of time left in the test and we could have come in with no scoreboard pressure at all. It would have been much harder for NZ to have come in and got 483 if they needed 482 to win, for example.
Agree

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Stokes commitment to this style is incredible and I think it’s hypocritical to be angry now after enjoying all the wins. Problem with this style is though that if they start the Ashes badly then I can see the team coming under a lot of pressure from the media about the style

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I was quite critical of England's decision not to follow on but with hindsight I can't overdo it. You have to take the bad with the good with Bazball and they made the Test Match an event which I'll remember

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
We lost by 1 run, ffs. If Brooke hadn't been run out, we'd have made it easily.

The main thing is that New Zealand made a game of it, but then, like I said, the Brooke run out produced the tight result, otherwise it would have been no sweat.
I was thinking you guys made a game of it and created the chance for an exciting finish. I think England deserve some credit for playing in the best spirit of the game. It didnt work out but England allowed it to be an exciting game.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Stokes commitment to this style is incredible and I think it’s hypocritical to be angry now after enjoying all the wins. Problem with this style is though that if they start the Ashes badly then I can see the team coming under a lot of pressure from the media about the style
The whole point of the mindset shift behind the scenes is that they'll in theory be able to handle that.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The whole point of the mindset shift behind the scenes is that they'll in theory be able to handle that.
I agree but I am not so sure they will though. If stokes or Root got out that way on day 5 in the Ashes the media will crush them

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I mean the follow on was just a bad Cricketing call. I don't really attribute it to arrogance/Bazball/whatever. It was just a wrong choice, it happens in sports and NZ still had to play very well to win it.

Ridiculous it was only a two test series, what's the point.

Dan_F

I agree but I am not so sure they will though. If stokes or Root got out that way on day 5 in the Ashes the media will crush them
Depends if you think they play those shots on day 5 of an Ashes test. Easy to do it in a 2 test series when you’ve already won the first.

The Stokes one was really frustrating in that situation, considering how well he’d managed the innings up to that, I expected him to stick around and let Root keep scoring.

I’m just glad test cricket is getting some love again though. Pointless being too worried when it’s been that entertaining.

FlawlessThaw

Anyway time to move on, England are playing Bangladesh tomorrow starting at 6am

IRN-BRUno

Should be a good test, Bangladesh very strong at home in ODI/T20.

Sky only picked up this series at the last minute, also just seen that they haven't bothered with the IPL rights auction this year. DAZN have taken it over and they've given ITV 16 matches.

TheGame

Yep I agree they should not have enforced the follow on, just was making the point about being cocky.

croadyman

Yeah said it when they were bowled out for 209 that we should go in knock up around 250 and leave them a target of around 470. I also couldn't understand Foakes playing that big shot with only 7 to get and so much time left.

owlo

Fantastic game. Congrats to NZ.

I'd have enforced the follow on. But I think the makeup of the team with Bairstow out and Stokes injured is a bit wrong, we lacked a quick bowler. Quick turnaround was a struggle given fitness etc.

Still, such fine margins you can't blame the big calls. Do wonder whether Stokes should have benched himself, but we don't have much depth. Archer should be back soon, he did well in the IPL

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
why is anyone discussing the game and not the collingwood 2 hour wank?

FlawlessThaw

I think Malan may have written himself to open with Bairstow at the World Cup now.