English cricket thread

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
He feels zero pressure - should open the batting imo
Spin, fast bowling, slow pitches, fast pitches. Doesn’t seem to make a difference to him. Obviously his hand speed is crazy. His technique is as solid as a rock and he plays very late. When he hits it it stays hit, but he also can play with velvety soft hands as well when required. AND he has all the shots. Very very impressive and exciting times if you follow England.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I wasn’t expecting to wake up to that score after being 3 down so cheaply. Brook is something else.

owlo

Early rise [and the Barca match tired me] unfortunately so missed most of it, but sounds like we had an epic day!

Harry Brook is something else.

Don't forget Root. In this mood, you feel like he could stay in forever.
Think Root just needs to ignore baz ball and play his natural game. He's fluid enough anyway, and the others can take it away quick.

JohnnyKills

Spin, fast bowling, slow pitches, fast pitches. Doesn’t seem to make a difference to him. Obviously his hand speed is crazy. His technique is as solid as a rock and he plays very late. When he hits it it stays hit, but he also can play with velvety soft hands as well when required. AND he has all the shots. Very very impressive and exciting times if you follow England.
He's scored four test 100s in his first nine innings and he gave another two away.

He's batting like peak Steve Smith and he's doing it at the start of his career.

It's insane. Surely he can't carry on like this??

JohnnyKills

This guy Brook, I've a feeling he's going to be one of the all time greats. Thing is, he's 24, where's he been the last 3 years or so ? He surely didn't become a great batsman in the last 6 months.
Pretty much yeah. He's been on the radar but only really erupted last year.

owlo

He's scored four test 100s in his first nine innings and he gave another two away.

He's batting like peak Steve Smith and he's doing it at the start of his career.

It's insane. Surely he can't carry on like this??
He's on target to be the fastest to 1000 test runs now. If he carries on, Don Bradman has problems! Could easily play 100 tests and become the goat.

JohnnyKills

He's on target to be the fastest to 1000 test runs now. If he carries on, Don Bradman has problems! Could easily play 100 tests and become the goat.
He'll have a lean patch at some stage, for sure. The Aussies will have a plan.

Pak and NZ are both pretty ordinary right now, if we're honest.

JohnnyKills

Great to see Mitchell bowling too. He and De Grandhomme will get plenty of wickets in early-season English conditions for Lancs.

owlo

He'll have a lean patch at some stage, for sure. The Aussies will have a plan.

Pak and NZ are both pretty ordinary right now, if we're honest.
Absolutely. All depends on if this is a purple patch, or his career will be this interspersed with lean patches. He doesn't really have any super obvious weaknesses, though I'd like to see him against express pace. That pitch before lunch was anything but ordinary, and he did great.

JohnnyKills

Absolutely. All depends on if this is a purple patch, or his career will be this interspersed with lean patches. He doesn't really have any super obvious weaknesses, though I'd like to see him against express pace. That pitch before lunch was anything but ordinary, and he did great.
Yeah I've never seen a greener pitch than that. NZ bowling attack looks a shadow of its former self though.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
He looked mighty impressive against the quickies from Saffers last summer

Member 125398

184 off 169 in a test match :eek: The Ashes series is going to be bonkers, can't wait.

Skills

Snitch
So has everyone else been playing test cricket wrong all along? Sehwag and Gilchrist laid the blue print to it about 20 years ago anyway

owlo

Anyone know if the LCCC prime memberships include guaranteed access to ashes tickets? I'm reading and it says ' Prime is our best membership to fuel fans’ passion for cricket across all formats and competitions. Access up to 30 day’s of domestic fixtures at home (including The Hundred) as well as instant access for International matches including the 2023 LV=Insurance Men’s Ashes. '

ChrisNelson

South Africa Women look to be heading for a decent total in the T20 World Cup semi-final against England! (Winner to play Australia on Sunday).

Currently 116/1 with 5 overs remaining.

England need a 2/3 wicket over to check their progress.

LDUred

Something very KP like about Brook and the way he sets about dominating and bullying opposition bowlers.

But what we are probably witnessing is a new breed of test cricketer. An ODI style player who can adapt that game to test matches because despite having the strength and timing to score boundaries, also has the technique to defend.

Last edited:

Balljy

As good as the Brook innings was, it was great to see Root play his natural game. He's looked a bit forced in the last few innings, but his steady play (but still quick in test terms) will still be needed.

whitbyviking

Root definitely should be allowed to play his natural game, he can be the bedrock for all the rest to go off playing Bazball.

Harry Brookes, not quite sure what to make of him, he's absolutely unbelievable at the minute. Hope they don't mess around shifting him about the order.

JohnnyKills

Anderson is just incredible.

Wouldn't say I ever doubted him but always felt he was slightly over-rated as he (and our entire bowling attack) have looked a bit innocuous at times.

But he's just sensational at the moment. You could argue he's bowling better than ever.