English cricket thread

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I’m sure that’s the 3rd time he’s taken a wicket with his last ball?! Aussies doing their best to lose another game.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I’m sure that’s the 3rd time he’s taken a wicket with his last ball?! Aussies doing their best to lose another game.
Not this time.
Rashid has totally bamboozled them.
Genuine world class on white ball.

Dan_F

Nasser is bang on there. We’re a wicket or two less than we should be, and Australia should have 10 runs less. Think this Wood over is sealing it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nasser is bang on there. We’re a wicket or two less than we should be, and Australia should have 10 runs less. Think this Wood over is sealing it.
We needed wood and archer to be on boss form to win. Both have been below par so we don’t stand a chance despite Rashid’s heroics.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I’m with Warne, Archer should’ve bowled this over.

Edit: that 4 should win it

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Yeah. Moeen messed up the order of final overs.
But wouldn’t have mattered as England were always 20 runs short all night.

dbs235

Feel sorry for Ali as captain as his batting unit didn’t fire at all. was basically 2nd team batting unit given that Roy, Buttler, Morgan and Stokes all missing.

without even a competitive target, it’s impossible to build any scoreboard pressure to force Australia mistakes.
England never have a first choice ODI/T20 line up out. I get there's various reasons for it but its frustrating sometimes for the fans that we never get to see that full batting line up.

paulscholes18

Not the way he bowled tonight and at the death on Sunday (got taken to the cleaners by Pat Cummins who had a career SR of under 100) he shouldn’t have, for me he should be bowled out by the 17th over. I think Jordan & Curran are England’s best two death bowlers and should bowl England’s last 4 overs.

England done well to take it to the final over after the start Australia made 31/0 after 3 overs

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
England never have a first choice ODI/T20 line up out. I get there's various reasons for it but its frustrating sometimes for the fans that we never get to see that full batting line up.
we saw full ODI team all last summer!

For T20, we will see world cup next year. I'd go with

Buttler
Roy
Bairstow
Malan
Morgan
Stokes
Ali
Jordan
Rashid
Archer
Wood

dbs235

Buttler
Roy
Bairstow
Malan
Morgan
Stokes
Ali
Jordan
Rashid
Archer
Wood
Yeah obviously we see it at World Cups but that's it :lol: I'd pick that exact same team you have. That batting line up would be passing 200 in most games in series which is why I want to see it a few times before the world cup.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah obviously we see it at World Cups but that's it :lol: I'd pick that exact same team you have. That batting line up would be passing 200 in most games in series which is why I want to see it a few times before the world cup.
Oh, I get what you mean! yeah, injuries, rotation, personal issues means we dont see the full team outside major tournaments. Frustrating indeed.

slyadams

Buttler
Roy
Bairstow
Malan
Morgan
Stokes
Ali
Jordan
Rashid
Archer
Wood
If that team plays the world cup and is in any kind of form, they're close to unbeatable.

I would also bowl Archer up front at the moment.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If that team plays the world cup and is in any kind of form, they're close to unbeatable.

I would also bowl Archer up front at the moment.
Tournament will be in India, which will make India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka all very dangerous. Pakistan especially have a great side developing. Who knows what WINDIES team will turn up!
Tournament wont be won on paper, like the last ODI world cup was.

slyadams

Tournament will be in India, which will make India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka all very dangerous. Pakistan especially have a great side developing. Who knows what WINDIES team will turn up!
Tournament wont be won on paper, like the last ODI world cup was.
It won't be won on paper, which is why I stated if they're in form. If they all turn up out of nick, they won't win it. But all of these players have spent years in the IPL, there shouldn't be any shocks/surprises for them.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It won't be won on paper, which is why I stated if they're in form. If they all turn up out of nick, they won't win it. But all of these players have spent years in the IPL, there shouldn't be any shocks/surprises for them.
also a very good point

NinjaFletch

Think this series (and this match) has highlighted a fair few shortcomings despite the results.

I'm not at all sure the balance is right, and I'm not sure Stokes fixes it when he comes in. Wood/Archer seems a bit samey to me and there's only been the one match where they've impressed me with the new ball, by all means there'll be pitches where you can and should play both, but I still think Willey has a lot to offer the side (both with the bat and the new ball).

Jordan and Curran also seem to be pretty one dimensional in when they can bowl.

Not at all sure why Denly is around the side still (especially if he's not going to bowl).

Djemba-Djemba

Think this series (and this match) has highlighted a fair few shortcomings despite the results.

I'm not at all sure the balance is right, and I'm not sure Stokes fixes it when he comes in. Wood/Archer seems a bit samey to me and there's only been the one match where they've impressed me with the new ball, by all means there'll be pitches where you can and should play both, but I still think Willey has a lot to offer the side (both with the bat and the new ball).

Jordan and Curran also seem to be pretty one dimensional in when they can bowl.

Not at all sure why Denly is around the side still (especially if he's not going to bowl).
I just find it baffling. I know he made a decent cameo today but it was pretty lucky to be fair, he kept edging everything for four :lol:

I don't understand why they got rid of Plunkett because he was too old and they wanted to build for the future, but then they've drafted in Denly who's around the same age and basically not very good anyway.

Think Banton has been a bit disappointing this summer. He's clearly extremely talented and I'm sure it'll all come good eventually but so far other than one good knock against Pakistan he's struggled.

NinjaFletch

I just find it baffling. I know he made a decent cameo today but it was pretty lucky to be fair, he kept edging everything for four :lol:

I don't understand why they got rid of Plunkett because he was too old and they wanted to build for the future, but then they've drafted in Denly who's around the same age and basically not very good anyway.

Think Banton has been a bit disappointing this summer. He's clearly extremely talented and I'm sure it'll all come good eventually but so far other than one good knock against Pakistan he's struggled.
It's probably harsh to judge Mooen's captaincy based on one game, but I thought it sort of summed up Denly today.

He's clearly picked because he bowls some leggies, but they clearly don't rate them much either because after one (decent) over where he should have had a wicket he got yanked off for Mooen and then they went back to pace despite the fact that it had gone the distance and Rashid had turned it a fair amount. If you're not bowling him then then you're never really bowling him.

And then, yeah, he's a mid 30s top order batsman asked to play as a finisher because he's not good enough to get in the top order who might have taken his T20i average above 10 by edging 3 fours in a row.

The only thing I'm more baffled by was finding out Billings was 29 today. He's English crickets Lingard.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Needs a lot more high pressure exposure and play with more big time players. IPL etc will do him good. Did he get a gig this year?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
England to hold talks with Adil Rashid about Test return, Chris Silverwood says

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
LATEST ICC RANKINGS ACROSS ALL THREE FORMATS: Malan goes top of T20i batting

paulscholes18

Surprised that Woakes is England’s highest ODI ranked bowler, just assumed it would be Rashid but he’s not even in the top 10.

Roy and Morgen are back which is great for our chances tomorrow

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
England:
1 Jason Roy, 2 Jonny Bairstow, 3 Joe Root, 4 Eoin Morgan, 5 Sam Billings, 6 Jos Buttler (wk), 7 Moeen Ali, 8 Chris Woakes, 9 Jofra Archer, 10 Adil Rashid, 11 Mark Wood

Australia:
1 Aaron Finch, 2 David Warner, 3 Marcus Stoinis, 4 Marnus Labuschagne, 5 Mitchell Marsh, 6 Glenn Maxwell, 7 Alex Carey, 8 Pat Cummins, 9 Mitchell Starc, 10 Josh Hazlewood, 11 Adam Zampa

England win the toss and choose to bowl. "It looks a good wicket, potentially a little bit tacky," says Morgan. "Hopefully we'll restrict Australia to a gettable total. It is a little bit softer than the Pakistan games. The two Currans and Tom Banton miss out. It's great to have guys back. [Middle-over wickets] The addition of Mark Wood helps that, and Old Trafford normally takes a bit of turn so having Adil, Moeen and Joe is helpful. Australia are a fantastic side, and a difficult side to beat."

"I'd have looked to bat anyway," says Finch. "Steve Smith misses out, he got a knock on the head yesterday in practice so that's a precautionary measure. Stoinis is going to bat at No. 3. Over the last couple of years we've played really good cricket in patches and really indifferent cricket in patches - we're looking to be more consistent. We haven't played our best cricket consistently but we're confident we can play some really good one-day cricket."

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Australia batting line up looks weak to me. Smith is a far bigger miss than Stokes.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
There's a lot hanging on Labuschagne in the middle order, he's in that Smith role of fixing it up if it goes awry. I'm quite tired of hearing about Maxwell being some kind of danger man as he tends to blast 13 or 14 then get out every time I've seen him, but he and/or Carey could do some damage lower down, as could Cummins.

Good early breakthrough from Archer.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Australia openers struggled to adapt from T20i into ODI in such short time.

In fact they have the order wrong. Should have been ODI before T20.

doubt Australia will get a decent score

Last edited:

MUM

Great ball from Rashid to get Labuschagne, he was looking dangerous.

slyadams

LATEST ICC RANKINGS ACROSS ALL THREE FORMATS: Malan goes top of T20i batting

I was looking at these the other day. It seemed slightly odd to me that England are the best limited overs side in the world, and yet we only have 7 (two of which are Stokes) out of 60 ranked players. We're not even particularly well represented in places 11-20.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
There's a lot hanging on Labuschagne in the middle order, he's in that Smith role of fixing it up if it goes awry. I'm quite tired of hearing about Maxwell being some kind of danger man as he tends to blast 13 or 14 then get out every time I've seen him, but he and/or Carey could do some damage lower down, as could Cummins.

Good early breakthrough from Archer.
:nervous: Clinging to the bolded bit. To be fair Maxwell has played quite a mature innings today, a couple of looser shots aside. Good repair job alongside Marsh.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Brilliant recovery from Maxwell and Marsh, dug Australia out of real trouble.

294 is a competitive score in any circumstance and will require England to score the highest ODI innings ever at Old Trafford. Will be good to watch.

Listening to Broad on commentary has been so Informative and insightful.

Djemba-Djemba

Saw on Reddit, so it might not be true , but apparently Moeen is averaging 216 with the ball this calendar year.

I don't think he justifies his place in the side. He'll have a good innings every 15-20 matches or so and his bowling is completely non threatening .

paulscholes18

Normally you see needing 295 to win, looks very competitive, then you look at that England side and it looks 50 runs short. Need to bowl England out to win for me

Never seen a bowling scorecard with all 5 bowlers so close together all between conceding 54-59 runs

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Root's alignment outside off stump has gone to shit. Looks so static on the crease these days.