English cricket thread

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We're eight down and you think we've still got batting to come. The Aussies are two down and you think they haven't got much left.
That's the difference atm. Australia have a great bowling lineup but they've probably got to replace one of those bowlers with an all-rounder to become the best ODI team in the world.
England must be delighted because of their six key ODI players - Roy, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Rashid and Archer - only one of them has had a standout series so far.
what's your team for tomorrow? Bear in mind that Aus will get Smith back.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
We're eight down and you think we've still got batting to come. The Aussies are two down and you think they haven't got much left.

That's the difference atm. Australia have a great bowling lineup but they've probably got to replace one of those bowlers with an all-rounder to become the best ODI team in the world.

England must be delighted because of their six key ODI players - Roy, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Rashid and Archer - only one of them has had a standout series so far.
They're insanely flimsy. Warner's crap. It's just Finch.

They should actually pick both Smith and Labuschagne but they feel that's too wimpy so they're picking people who can't bat instead.

DOTA

Have Australia given up with Unman Khawaja in ODI?
Forgot about him. Nothing special and not young anymore but worth adding to the list of 'players a lot better than the ones they are picking'.

slyadams

They're insanely flimsy. Warner's crap. It's just Finch.

They should actually pick both Smith and Labuschagne but they feel that's too wimpy so they're picking people who can't bat instead.
They will pick both, pretty sure of that. Possibly Warner to drop, but with Finch, Maxwell and Stoinis they’ll think they have the power to accelerate. Also, Smith can actually score at not a bad clip (his ODI SR is the same as finch).

DOTA

They will pick both, pretty sure of that. Possibly Warner to drop, but with Finch, Maxwell and Stoinis they’ll think they have the power to accelerate. Also, Smith can actually score at not a bad clip (his ODI SR is the same as finch).
Yeah, Smith's a good ODI player. Is Stoinis?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah, Smith's a good ODI player. Is Stoinis?
I'd go:

Warner
Finch
Smith
Labuschagne
Stoinis
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Staarc
Zampa
Hazelwood

You hope that one from Finch, Smith or Labuschagne can bat for 30+ overs so the innings can be built around them. Stoinis and Maxwell can float depending on how well top order do.

slyadams

I'd go:

Warner
Finch
Smith
Labuschagne
Stoinis
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Staarc
Zampa
Hazelwood

You hope that one from Finch, Smith or Labuschagne can bat for 30+ overs so the innings can be built around them. Stoinis and Maxwell can float depending on how well top order do.
This relies on 10 over from Stoinis?

DOTA

I'd go:

Warner
Finch
Smith
Labuschagne
Stoinis
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Staarc
Zampa
Hazelwood

I just can't imagine the third wicket falling and thinking 'oh good, Stoinis will save us'.

Just go nuclear... unless they really are short of batters then drop him, pick a batsmen and get Maxwell, Lubuschagne and Smith to practice their bowling a bit more. They should be able to make the ten or four overs.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I just can't imagine the third wicket falling and thinking 'oh good, Stoinis will save us'.
Just go nuclear... unless they really are short of batters then drop him, pick a batsmen and get Maxwell, Lubuschagne and Smith to practice their bowling a bit more. They should be able to make the ten or four overs.
Who is that extra batsman?

DOTA

Tough one isn't it. Harsh but I'd probably pick Wood for S Curran. Think he's a more threatening bowler all-round.
If it's hot tomorrow then I guess you could pick Wood on merit. If it ain't and it's September then Sam all the way.

MUM

Come on lads you can do it. England to bat first. Woody in for Sam.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Teams for 3rd ODI

England 1 Jason Roy, 2 Jonny Bairstow, 3 Joe Root, 4 Eoin Morgan (capt), 5 Jos Buttler (wk), 6 Sam Billings, 7 Chris Woakes, 8 Tom Curran, 9 Adil Rashid, 10 Jofra Archer, 11 Mark Wood.

Australia 1 David Warner, 2 Aaron Finch (capt), 3 Marcus Stoinis, 4 Marnus Labuschagne, 5 Mitchell Marsh, 6 Alex Carey (wk), 7 Glenn Maxwell, 8 Pat Cummins, 9 Mitchell Starc, 10 Adam Zampa, 11 Josh Hazlewood

Nico87

How many of these English batsmen are actually done at this level?, Or are they just in a prolonged run of bad form with the odd decent innings. Root, Bairstow, Roy, Ali and in Test cricket Buttler until the last series was also under threat.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I said Root should be dropped from this side today and Malan in his place. I was right! And Root then has the audacity to claim he should replace Malan in T20 team!

Roots white ball game has collapsed. He should be removed from the whole white ball set up, and Malan and Banton allowed to compete for no 3 position.

MUM

Hope this is not the kiss of death, but Bairstow and Morgan are doing well now, considering the earlier balls up.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Appalling batting from England’s top order. Not sure how they get out of this self created crisis.

Dan_F

I don’t want to say too much after how the last few games have finished, but the pitch looks far too good for a low score. I can’t believe how easily they are giving away these wickets.

MUM

Great stuff from Bairstow for the ton and equally for the support from Billings with his 57 so far.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Great stuff from Bairstow for the ton and equally for the support from Billings with his 57 so far.
Aye, I think at least one of them will have to stay more or less until the end if we're to put a good score on but they've really stemmed the bleeding after that abysmal start.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Appalling batting from England’s top order. Not sure how they get out of this self created crisis.
Amazing performance from Bairstow to score a ton. He had really struggled with his timing in last matches and then also faced huge pressure with early loss of wickets. Shows he has deep reserves of resilience and self belief which should be applauded.