English cricket thread

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
And what about zips on pants? Or stepping on the ball with spikes? Or roughing it up on the pitch? All of which were done by English, SA and others in the past.
Sandpaper is probably still seen as worse given it has more relevance to a builder's yard than a cricket pitch.

Yeah I agree with that. I don't know if I am right but I didn't hold him as accountable as Warner anyway.
Smith did have a better PR team for sure.

Anyway on the broader point of booing, I'm not a fan of it but this is at Edgbaston which is England's most vociferous crowd. Smith will probably end up winning the crowd towards the end.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
It's not a grey area.

Saliva's considered fine. Eating sweets is considered fine. Intentionally applying sugary saliva to gain an advantage isn't.

Removing dirt is considered fine but deliberately scratching the ball or picking the seem is not.

But no part of taking sandpaper on to the pitch with you is ever gonna be fine and we all saw it happen.
I think Smith's ban was about right, given it was about more than just the ball tampering. Was a whole national outcry about the general behaviour of the Aussie team and the captain had to take the blame. Should've just canned Warner for good and made it clear they felt Bancroft was placed in an unfair situation, though.
Agree with all of that. Also the teams who throw the ball in on the bounce at every opportunity needs looking at.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao

Anyway on the broader point of booing, I'm not a fan of it but this is at Edgbaston which is England's most vociferous crowd. Smith will probably end up winning the crowd towards the end.
In Warner's defense he did not have any PR and did very little interviews, did his time in silence then went back to the IPL.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
What punishment would you have given them then?
The punishment consistent for ball tempering. I believe that CA harshly punished Warner and Smith for their roles in that contract dispute.

Regarding ball tempering, I seem to recall Anderson and Broad being accused of ball tempering in SA in 2010
With Nasser Hussain calling them: "Stuart Broad and James Anderson were wrong to behave in the manner they did and I've no doubt that if a player from another country did the same we'd have said they were cheating. Should they be banned for a year too?

FlawlessThaw

In Warner's defense he did not have any PR and did very little interviews, did his time in silence then went back to the IPL.
I genuinely felt more sorry for Warner as the abuse he and his family got was way worse than anything he deserved. That was crossing the line for me.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
No the Aussies just boo when batsman don't walk don't they. And the players sledge relentlessly throughout the game, shouting foul-mouthed abuse and talking about ending people's careers.

I probably wouldn't boo Steve Smith either but it's a bit rich for an Aussie to talk about standards of behaviour at a cricket ground.
:lol:

Do one. I don't represent anyone but myself and my opinion is that booing when someone reaches a milestone is pathetic.

How the players act or have acted in the past is entirely irrelevant to my point. For what it's worth I don't endorse that over the top sledging either, it's quite pathetic too.

But if we are going to play tit-for-tat, pray tell what's worse - talking about ruining careers or actually coward punching someone? An act that has caused brain damage and even killed people in the past.

KM

I genuinely felt more sorry for Warner as the abuse he and his family got was way worse than anything he deserved. That was crossing the line for me.
Same here, his wife said that she suffered miscarriage due to the stress of those events. That was genuinely heart breaking :(

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Agree with all of that. Also the teams who throw the ball in on the bounce at every opportunity needs looking at.
Yep. And the thing KM mentioned about Broad and Anderson stopping the ball with the spikes of their boots. None of it is good but it all largely fades after a little while because of the suspicion that actually every team does it. Which given pretty much every team has been caught doing it, seems believable.

Getting caught live on camera trying to hide sandpaper down your underwear has a certain uniqueness though.

Cloud7

Doesn’t look like there’s anything in the pitch at all this morning. Today could end up being quite the slog.

KM

Not sure England will or should persist with Roy as an opener(although he could prove me wrong in the future).
If you want to pick him, then pick him in the middle order.

FlawlessThaw

Not sure England will or should persist with Roy as an opener(although he could prove me wrong in the future).
If you want to pick him, then pick him in the middle order.
Suspect he will end up at 3 or 4 after the Ashes if not sooner.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
oof lucky escape that... though to be fair to the Umpire, I didn't think it looked out at first glance.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Good leave, Joe.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Pattinson has bowled very well but has had no luck.
Lyon looking dangerous
Cummins has been average bowling too much of an Aussie pitch line
Siddle has been Siddle.

Disciplined session but need to get some wickets.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If Starc and Hazlewood can't get into this toothless attack then Australia are in for a rough couple of months.

FlawlessThaw

Fact that Lyon looks pretty good means that if England are chasing a score of 200+ in the 4th innings then it might be too much

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
If Starc and Hazlewood can't get into this toothless attack then Australia are in for a rough couple of months.
Starc is not good in English tests and is a bit out of form.

Hazlewood will be interesting as he can very easily replace one of Siddle or Cummins.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Joe Root survives another bad call again.

Should keep him in for another hour or so for him to get about 8 runs.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
The crowd are enjoying the pantomime villain stuff.

It's getting a bit boring now though for me hope it goes away after this test.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Joe Root survives another bad call again.

Should keep him in for another hour or so for him to get about 8 runs.
This is what England need though, bat time, let the middle order loose against tired bowlers. Root needs to do as he's doing, channel his inner steely Yorkshireman, dream of being Geoff Boycott.

JohnnyKills

:lol:

Do one. I don't represent anyone but myself and my opinion is that booing when someone reaches a milestone is pathetic.

How the players act or have acted in the past is entirely irrelevant to my point. For what it's worth I don't endorse that over the top sledging either, it's quite pathetic too.

But if we are going to play tit-for-tat, pray tell what's worse - talking about ruining careers or actually coward punching someone? An act that has caused brain damage and even killed people in the past.
Are you serious? Of course it's relevant.

The Aussies have set the bar with the way their players and fans have behaved for several years. Broad was practically abused out of the country for doing something which was within the laws of the game. English players routinely talk about the abuse they get from the stands, and the new documentary about the England team shows it in graphic detail.

On the field the Aussies have consistently pushed the boundaries, whether it be c-bombing people constantly, dropping balls on people when they're run out or mocking people for having stress-related illnesses.

Sorry pal but the Aussies are just getting a taste of their own medicine after years of dishing it out. You might not like it but that's the way it is.

Also, some points about Stokes. 1) it happened miles away from the cricket field, 2) a couple of gay guys said in court that he was defending them and 3) he was punished for it. If the Aussies want to boo him when he next goes down under, they can go right ahead.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
This is what England need though, bat time, let the middle order loose against tired bowlers. Root needs to do as he's doing, channel his inner steely Yorkshireman, dream of being Geoff Boycott.
Oh i'm not complaining, he's doing a grand job... and to be fair he's actually stepped it up since i made that post.

Do think he'll be the one to go from this partnership though.

JohnnyKills

Sandpaper is probably still seen as worse given it has more relevance to a builder's yard than a cricket pitch.

Yep, I think he won't get much more stick, if any. Neither will Bancroft. Warner will get abused throughout the whole series.

NinjaFletch

Dobell was having a proper whinge about the crowd being too footbally yesterday. I think most people would say the booing of Smith's ton went too far, but surely this atmosphere is good for the game. If you're trying to convince kids this is a fun sport then people in fancy dress having a good time and a sing has to be a better advert than a bunch of old cnuts quaffing champagne.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The best batsman of this era, no doubt about it.
As much as I hate to say it, hes in a class of his own. I checked his stats yesterday and hes acquired over 3500 runs against India and England. Weirdly, hes an average test batsman against every other nation - IIRC averaging 40-45 against the lot.

JohnnyKills

Dobell was having a proper whinge about the crowd being too footbally yesterday. I think most people would say the booing of Smith's ton went too far, but surely this atmosphere is good for the game. If you're trying to convince kids this is a fun sport then people in fancy dress having a good time and a sing has to be a better advert than a bunch of old cnuts quaffing champagne.
Good point.