English cricket thread

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
As a novice to watching test cricket would teams not be better playing two ODI style innings and racking up scores of 500 to 600 everytime. This is not a question regarding the format rather the playing style.

Djemba-Djemba

Warner will be booed for the rest of the series because he's clearly a cnut.

I'd have advocated booing him even without him being a cheat.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Dobell was having a proper whinge about the crowd being too footbally yesterday. I think most people would say the booing of Smith's ton went too far, but surely this atmosphere is good for the game. If you're trying to convince kids this is a fun sport then people in fancy dress having a good time and a sing has to be a better advert than a bunch of old cnuts quaffing champagne.
I've always liked the respectful nature of cricket crowds. I'd hope its kept that way. Yesterday went too far, IMO and I don't particularly like Australia.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Dobell was having a proper whinge about the crowd being too footbally yesterday. I think most people would say the booing of Smith's ton went too far, but surely this atmosphere is good for the game. If you're trying to convince kids this is a fun sport then people in fancy dress having a good time and a sing has to be a better advert than a bunch of old cnuts quaffing champagne.
Agreed, it's great to have a bit of variety at Cricket grounds as well. There's a reason why the players love playing at Edgbaston and the fans do as well.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
As a novice to watching test cricket would teams not be better playing two ODI style innings and racking up scores of 500 to 600 everytime. This is not a question regarding the format rather the playing style.
Different type of ball that generally helps bowlers more than the white ones and different rules for where you can put fielders (you can just put them all on the boundary if someone tries to smash every ball in test matches) make it a lot harder to just blast your way to success in test match batting.

Why is 111 such a scary number.

13 and 87 are far more scary.
It looks like the wickets.

JohnnyKills

Yeah in theory, but it's not as simple as that. The ball moves in the air more in test cricket, for one thing. And the best bowlers can bowl for as long as they want.

Plus slogging your way to 350 is great in an ODI but you're playing a test there's a good chance the other team will turn round and get 500. In which case you'll probably lose.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
You can't 'rack up' 500 that easily in test. The ball actually swings and seams here. Pitches start deteriorating from day 2-3 onwards so spinners come into the game. Bounce gets more uneven too. Plus that fact that you can put all nine fielders on the rope to stop the flow of boundaries.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Australia attack looking toothless! Serves them right for dropping starc.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not sure England will or should persist with Roy as an opener(although he could prove me wrong in the future).
If you want to pick him, then pick him in the middle order.
Who should other opener be?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Stokes, Butler, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes to come ... could be carnage against a tiring toothless attack!

Last edited:

paulscholes18

Surprised that labuschagne isn’t playing, only player with 1000+ runs in county cricket this season the Aussie middle order is there weak area

zing

Zingle balls
Surprised that labuschagne isn’t playing, only player with 1000+ runs in county cricket this season the Aussie middle order is there weak area
He will be in next game. Haven't seen him much but thought his leg spin very good for a part timer.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is when Australia did well. Against a tiring attack. Should lead by the end of the day.
Could do with Burns getting to his well deserved 100, and then getting out.

Get Stokes and Butler in for final 20 overs of the day for a thrash (with old ball), as bowlers will be rested and fresh again tomorrow morning and with a new ball.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Get Stokes and Butler in for final 20 overs of the day for a thrash (with old ball), as bowlers will be rested and fresh again tomorrow morning and with a new ball.
I suppose Denly will do!

Nope. Burns should bat and bat and bat. Anchor the innings. Don’t need to get anyone in to have a go. Bat all day tomorrow if we have to.

But now this ball is hooping around. Could easily be 5/6 down at the close

Having gone from being pretty comfortable is pretty annoying how much more this ball from a previous year is doing a lot more. Expect to see a lot more nagging from the two sides to get a replacement ball

paulscholes18

England need to hope and pry they not all out before the new ball which will go back to doing nothing

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I’m gone arsehole. Never to return if idiots like you hang about
You come in here admitting you know nothing about cricket and start spouting bullshit. I am not the arsehole in this situation.

In your, nearly, 9 years on RedCafe you have yet to learn to criticise the post, not the poster? Considering, it was light hearted response to a ridiculous suggestion, your response what totally inappropriate.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
You come in here admitting you know nothing about cricket and start spouting bullshit. I am not the arsehole in this situation.

In your, nearly, 9 years on RedCafe you have yet to learn to criticise the post, not the poster? Considering, it was light hearted response to a ridiculous suggestion, your response what totally inappropriate.
Likewise I asked you a simple question after watching the first 2 sessions only to receive an awkward non answer. 9 years and 45000 posts later and you couldn't enlighten me with an educated response. Thanks for nothing

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
In ODI's there's white ball and in test matches there's red ball. The red ball does a lot more than white ball and hence it makes it tougher for the batsman to score. Also usually the pitches in ODIs are more flat as compared to test cricket, where they're more conducive to swing and spin which again makes it tough for batsman to score.