English cricket thread

phelans shorts

Oh stop it with Bracey. The lad looked all over the place at Test level, proper bin juice. Jamie Smith at Surrey looks promising, be worth bearing in mind at least for the next year or two, still only 21.
Whilst primarily a white ball player you’d think, Salt has played well so far in red ball this season. Can see him being given a shot if the keepers keep struggling as they are (can see the same issue as Jos where he struggles when we’re under the cosh and a rapid 40 aren’t much use mind)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Whilst primarily a white ball player you’d think, Salt has played well so far in red ball this season. Can see him being given a shot if the keepers keep struggling as they are (can see the same issue as Jos where he struggles when we’re under the cosh and a rapid 40 aren’t much use mind)
Salt doesn't look like a very good keeper though to me. Not sure he's better than Bairstow for example.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
This has got New Zealand 260-2 by the close of play written all over it.

AshRK

Can the Indian lads move on from the spinning wicket. Everyone else has.

And you smacked us in that series anyway. Weird.
Blame your pundits and press who started that nonsense. They were complaining about the chennai pitch as well, on the same pitch where ashwin went on to score a fantastic 100.

Btw that Ahmedabad pitch was pathetic , no defending that.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Blame your pundits and press who started that nonsense. They were complaining about the chennai pitch as well, on the same pitch where ashwin went on to score a fantastic 100.

Btw that Ahmedabad pitch was pathetic , no defending that.
It was a discussion for about a week in the UK then everyone moved on?

Mad it's even coming up in this thread :lol:

AshRK

Yeah let us not pretend English fans won't have done the same if Indian pundits blamed the pitch and it was a vice versa situation. Indians are just pointing out the hypocrisy which english press are masters of.

arnie_ni

No nothing about potts but he seems good, anyone know much about him?

phelans shorts

Even then it was only really discussed by people trying to drive clicks… something which any mention about Indian cricket does in DROVES. To the point it’s still brought up to this day.

If memory serves outside of that Ahmedabad game the general reaction was “well they’re going to tailor pitches that suit them like we do, who cares, you have to win in these conditions if you want to be the best”

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeah let us not pretend English fans won't have done the same if Indian pundits blamed the pitch and it was a vice versa situation. Indians are just pointing out the hypocrisy which english press are masters of.
Christ I'm bored of this - one of the pitches was shit. Everyone said so.

The other one was worth a debate, personally thought it was fine. As did most over here.

Indian fans seem to have a chip on their shoulder about it despite battering us fair and square over the series.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He started the season very well up at Durham, I’m like you in not knowing much about him but based off this game he definitely looks a gem, but a year ago so did Ollie Robinson and he’s now persona non grata so who knows
Has something else happened beyond those initial tweets being found?

ArmchairCritic

No nothing about potts but he seems good, anyone know much about him?
Gets a bit more out of the pitch than you would expect. Bit like Scott Boland in that regard, I reckon he needs to add a 2-3 mph to be a consistent top level test bowler. Important to consider that Jamie Porter had New Zealand in all sorts of bother last week too.

AshRK

Christ I'm bored of this - one of the pitches was shit. Everyone said so.

The other one was worth a debate, personally thought it was fine. As did most over here.

Indian fans seem to have a chip on their shoulder about it despite battering us fair and square over the series.
True about that.

By the way the 5th test which will be played later this month, I will have you lot as the favorites for that. Looking forward to it.

arnie_ni

How old were they again?

Probably not the thread for it, but are people not allowed to apologise and redeem themselves?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This pitch is doing a little but the batting shown by both sides leaves a lot to be desired.

ArmchairCritic

This pitch is doing a little but the batting shown by both sides leaves a lot to be desired.
Yep, New Zealand are undercooked as evidenced by getting turned over by the County Select XI and England are well, England.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Both decent players but the all rounders start at 5. Defo a top batsmen short for me since losing Taylor.
Yeah must admit, I think Mitchell is decent but I'm very surprised he's batting 5. Strikes me as a 6/7. I think De Grandhomme should be higher up the order though really, averages more or less 40, wouldn't be ridiculous for him to bat 5.

phelans shorts

Just him being injured most of the time really.
Yeah this is it, a couple of injuries adding in with random “not fit enough” talk when he was playing which seemed off to me (I’m guessing it was planted stories to get around them saying they thought he lacked odd field discipline or something, definitely more than meets the eye because he bowled plenty)
How old were they again?

Probably not the thread for it, but are people not allowed to apologise and redeem themselves?
Those tweets don’t really enter into the discussion with him at this point. He seemed contrite with his apology and the lack of anything between then and now suggests he has grown.

He’s certainly no Craig Overton who still claims he did nothing wrong, or well, Joe Clarke who’s currently getting the attempted image washing treatment

DOTA

I’d be more concerned about the weather, it’s supposed to be bad this weekend isn’t it?
Mainly cloudy tomorrow. Possibly start an hour late or something but not expected to rain after.

Trequarista10

Please do put forward when was Stokes' last 5 for, or last century with the bat?

Root didn't score any centuries in Australia, both are seemingly now past their prime.

Hopefully, somehow, they can have a decent second innings, as Lord knows their first ones against New Zealand, were beyond poor.

Name recognition shouldn't be a reason to get in the side.
Omg :lol:

ArmchairCritic

KP talking about walking at 80mph bowlers because they won’t hurt you like McGrath didn’t crack Pietersen’s ribs once when he tried to do to him.

ArmchairCritic

I'd definitely want him against de Grandhomme and Southee when they're trying to wack it.
I thought Stokes might have given him the one before lunch, interesting to see how he’s introduced into the game. I’d be tempted to get him in now and give him licence to attack.

DOTA

I thought Stokes might have given him the one before lunch, interesting to see how he’s introduced into the game. I’d be tempted to get him in now and give him licence to attack.
Same. We might get our wish. Just looking at the overs bowled and Jimmy bowled quite a few in the first innings and Broad's bowled a tonne in this one.

EDIT - Never mind.

ArmchairCritic

There was a bit of swing from Stokes in his last over (not sure if it was reverse), so sticking with pacers for a tad longer.

DOTA

There was a bit of swing from Stokes in his last over (not sure if it was reverse), so sticking with pacers for a tad longer.
I thought it was from the shape but then I thought I could see it going towards the rough side on one replay, so I'm not sure at all either :lol:

ArmchairCritic

One thing I have observed watching New Zealand and England at close quarters in recent times. New Zealand quicks spend a lot of time stretching and staying loose in between spells (Wagner loves a few press-ups). England quicks don’t bother.

ArmchairCritic

England need to bowl dry for a bit here. The game is drifting away from them.