English cricket thread

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Loving Lees' attitude here, blocking solidly and played some lovely aggressive shots so far. Hope he can keep cracking on.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Loving Lees' attitude here, blocking solidly and played some lovely aggressive shots so far. Hope he can keep cracking on.
It's a pretty dramatic change, innit? New regime comes in and all of a sudden he's Marcus Trescothick.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i heard silverwood made them practice forward defensive shots for an hour for every 4 they scored previously.

Dan_F

I'd drop Crawley for Compton for the last test. 3 left handers and 3 right handers would bring a nice balance to the top order as much as anything else. Might as well give Brook a run out over Bairstow while we're at it. We can make it clear he's not been dropped, just giving the new lads a go.

Surely Leach's 1 wicket and poor economy rate on that pitch has to damn him to being a backup option only now though. Complete waste of a spot in the side, good lad or not.
It’s probably more beneficial to bowl Root and play an extra batter at this point. I’m sure they won’t do that but you’re right, it’s a waste.

Dan_F

WinViz is probably one of the worst prediction tools I’ve ever seen in all sports.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I've cursed Lees here haven't I? Hasn't scored since I said what a good job he was doing :lol:

ChrisNelson

I think England's hopes went with Root. It would be some effort for Stokes to come in and repeat his World Cup heroics and the more dot balls/ maidens that are bowled the more work he will have to do.

220 runs in a session and a half feels like a step too far right now.

Robindinho

I think England's hopes went with Root. It would be some effort for Stokes to come in and repeat his World Cup heroics and the more dot balls/ maidens that are bowled the more work he will have to do.

220 runs in a session and a half feels like a step too far right now.
Yeah, think so too. Root was key.

Don't mind a period of consolidation though, rather than gift silly wickets trying to chase it down. We are 1-0 up after all.

Balljy

It's great to have a 5 day test with loads of ups and downs and the momentum changing constantly to be ended by what is effectively a one-day international on the last day (although one that can end in a draw). Test cricket really can't be beaten.

Dan_F

More changing of the ball. If the batters have hit the ball hard enough, and to the boundary enough, to cause it to lose shape, should they not reap the rewards of it?

I’ll disclaimer by saying this is not because England are batting, I can’t stand it when they constantly ask about it as well.

ChrisNelson

Well... 160 runs in a session is surely too much? But Stokes has been the hero against NZ before, in the 2019 WC Final and of course his knock against Australia at Headingley the same summer is the stuff of legend.

I don't fancy NZ to take 6 wickets in the final session of a Trent Bridge match that's already broken the record for runs scored in a Test there, but I also don't see 160 runs. However the way this match has gone, I also daren't call a draw just yet!

phelans shorts

Well... 160 runs in a session is surely too much? But Stokes has been the hero against NZ before, in the 2019 WC Final and of course his knock against Australia at Headingley the same summer is the stuff of legend.

I don't fancy NZ to take 6 wickets in the final session of a Trent Bridge match that's already broken the record for runs scored in a Test there, but I also don't see 160 runs. However the way this match has gone, I also daren't call a draw just yet!
You never know. Depending on wickets they could well extend the day another half hour and then the timings is more doable.

Draw definitely most likely at this stage, mind.

Dan_F

This is pretty much where I thought the game might be at the start of the day, but I said at the time that England would need wickets in hand to go for it in the last session and I don’t think they have enough. Put Buttler and Woakes into that line up and there would be a good chance.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Amazing approach by England so far. Stokes is something else.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
And just as I say that Bairstow smokes two sixes. Amazing!

ChrisNelson

As starts to your captaincy reign go, starting with a win at Lord's against the World Champions then chasing down 300 in 2.5 sessions would take some beating!

Especially if you were one of the stars of the show...

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
whatever happens from here on in i’m down for it. we just won 1 from 17 tests previously. i’d rather see us lose trying something stupid than lose by being abjectly pathetic.

slyadams

Rate down to 3 now, which means even if one of them gets out, the rate is now achievable with a bit less risk.

Swedish_Plumber

it’s amazing to see a proper batsman go at it in a test match. Normally yous re the odd flurry of 30/40 runs from a tailender with nothing to lose.

Bairstow is fantastic when he gets in the swing of things.

ChrisNelson

This is absolute class from the boys, shame Bairstow couldn't quite get the fastest England Test ton but he won't care

Dan_F

At what does Bairstow decide he needs to be the one in at the end and milk singles? I would have said about 30 runs ago.