English cricket thread

ChrisNelson

At what does Bairstow decide he needs to be the one in at the end and milk singles? I would have said about 30 runs ago.
:lol: This is one of the great knocks of recent years, and by someone who along with Crawley was under more pressure than anyone else to just score runs, to do it in this style is incredible

Robindinho

Forget what I said about consolidating :lol:

You'd have thought he'd be under pressure with Brooks waiting, yet this... Unbelievable innings!!!

ChrisNelson

Closest Test ground to where I live, gutted I didn't book the day off and go down! A proper I was there moment for those fans.

And a real nice irony that Bairstow has played this innings in front of the new England coach who also happens to hold the record for the quickest Test hundred.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
probably the most complete test side in history imo.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Ridiculous.

Only caught the final overs but highlights should be a fun watch.

Djemba-Djemba

Astonishing innings from Bairstow, he just went complete ODI and smashed it around.

I had a go at him and Pope last match and they both made me look a daftie.

We have won a series!

DOTA

Astonishing innings from Bairstow, he just went complete ODI and smashed it around.

I had a go at him and Pope last match and they both made me look a daftie.

We have won a series!
I don't think we're going to make any changes, so could you have a go at Crawley?

JohnnyKills

England could actually win this. Bat for the next day and three quarters, get past their score then bowl them out cheaply, Adelaide-style.

Not saying we will, but it's possible!
I assume this prediction guarantees my legendary status on this forum in perpetuity.

phelans shorts

I don't think we're going to make any changes, so could you have a go at Crawley?
Nah I’d be resting Anderson. Not exactly sure who I would bring in, but seeing Jimmy yesterday he looked shattered, no need to break him before the chance to level the series with India. Maybe give JOverton his shot there with everybody else’s injuries.

Djemba-Djemba

I'd be resting Jimmy too, and I wouldn't be playing Stokes if he's hurt.

Series is won, no need to take any risks with injuries.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Brilliant effort & a terrific Test match. Thought it would definitely be a draw after day 3 :lol:

DOTA

Nah I’d be resting Anderson. Not exactly sure who I would bring in, but seeing Jimmy yesterday he looked shattered, no need to break him before the chance to level the series with India. Maybe give JOverton his shot there with everybody else’s injuries.
Just looked at the schedule. Hadn't realised how quickly that India game comes after. Yeah, I don't think he could play both.

LDUred

I know that I laughed at the idea that this was 'on' at stumps on Day 2 with England 400 and plenty behind, but that is because it was, to be fair, a very tentative shout. A lot of things needed to go our way to pull off such a remarkable turnaround, and most of them did; but they definitely earned the win and thoroughly deserved it.

This definitely goes down as one of the most remarkable wins in test cricket history. To score those runs at that lick is just exhilarating. I did feel that New Zealand had done enough to escape a genuine chase and that if anything, they were the more likely victors early on the chase when England lost four wickets in short order.

Obviously, it helped to have players like Bairstow and Stokes at the crease because they can clear the ropes. Their ODI style ability made it possible. But there you go, that's when it pays off to have players like Stokes and Bairstow who can bully bowlers, especially on a ground where you have relatively short boundaries and get value for your shots.

LDUred

English excellence, that, guided by two Kiwis.
I live in Shropshire and Stokes is a ridiculously common name in these parts. Yep, born in New Zealand but a very English New Zealander ancestry-wise.

Also, a certain Yorkshireman did make a significant contribution with nearly half the runs as well.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Whilst the win is amazing I wouldn’t have actually cared if they’d lost today, I just love whatever this mentality of trying to win is.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
England have been largely rubbish at test cricket in the last 3 years but they’ve managed to chase 359, 299 and 277 twice within those 3 years.

phelans shorts

I like Joe Root so much. Even though his captaincy had to end you can very much see why he’ll still be integral part of leadership, and he’s such a brilliant ambassador for the game.

In a weird way it reminds me of the Shannon Gabriel incident in that he’s clearly not thought about it at all and just done the right thing anyway.