English cricket thread

Trequarista10

It's too much for him to do. Captain, keeper, opening batter... Plus, he's having to run to the bowler every few balls to set the field/plan.

Roy needs a couple of games out, not looked right all summer. Even just the way he drops his head, sulks and stands still, instead of crossing, when he skies it.
Agree with both points. Think Buttler should give up the gloves, or opening in T20s, or potentially both. On opening, obviously there's a chance he gets in and bats most of all of the innings and gets a ridiculous score, but its not going to be that often that happens, he's a great finisher, and there's plenty of options to open. Think we'd be better off with him at 4-6. On keeping, we have a few other options too with Bairstow, Salt or even a couple others outside the squad atm, so I don't think you're losing much by moving Buttler to mid off.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Agree with both points. Think Buttler should give up the gloves, or opening in T20s, or potentially both. On opening, obviously there's a chance he gets in and bats most of all of the innings and gets a ridiculous score, but its not going to be that often that happens, he's a great finisher, and there's plenty of options to open. Think we'd be better off with him at 4-6. On keeping, we have a few other options too with Bairstow, Salt or even a couple others outside the squad atm, so I don't think you're losing much by moving Buttler to mid off.
Might be wrong but I suspect the best keeper might end up being Banton. None of them are incredible but they're all good enough.

phelans shorts

Might be wrong but I suspect the best keeper might end up being Banton. None of them are incredible but they're all good enough.
Banton has struggled with the bat of late. He seems to be leaving Somerset at the end of the year so maybe a fresh start is what he needs. Salt will probably end up being the choice given how high up the pecking order he as a batter alone.

IRN-BRUno

Banton has struggled with the bat of late. He seems to be leaving Somerset at the end of the year so maybe a fresh start is what he needs. Salt will probably end up being the choice given how high up the pecking order he as a batter alone.
I thought he was off to Warwickshire but he was doing radio commentary last week and said he's going nowhere. I think he really suffered with bubbles which affected his form, couple of injuries at inconvenient times as well but some good signs in the last month or so.

Not sure about his keeping though, he has no interest in doing that in red-ball and I think eventually he'll drop it completely.

Djemba-Djemba

Roy needs some time out the side.

Wow , we really look a bad white ball side now, this has been a Fergie to Moyes style instant collapse.

Djemba-Djemba

Roy scored 76 runs off 98 balls in six T20 games against India and South Africa this summer.

He has to be dropped.

All in all a fairly disastrous start to life after Eoin Morgan, the bowling looks toothless and more worryingly the batting has been horrible.

The upcoming t20 world cup looks a write off already.

Trequarista10

Would have bet large ££ they would have amended the graphics. And not had interviews with random tiktok stars in order to appeal to kids or something. Like, have they paid this girl to come to the match and have a 30 second interview during the game!?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Something doesn't add up here. This a different RP Singh?
Yeah, it's this bloke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._P._Singh_(cricketer,_born_1965) - got a couple of ODIs for India in the 80s. They seem to not only share initials, but the same full name, Rudra Pratap Singh. They don't seem to be related and googling that seems to bring up a host of other people as well.

Maybe we've got some Indian/Sikh lads who can enlighten us as to why that seems to be a fairly common full name.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yeah, it's this bloke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._P._Singh_(cricketer,_born_1965) - got a couple of ODIs for India in the 80s. They seem to not only share initials, but the same full name, Rudra Pratap Singh. They don't seem to be related and googling that seems to bring up a host of other people as well.

Maybe we've got some Indian/Sikh lads who can enlighten us as to why that seems to be a fairly common full name.
But the image to the left in the article is of the RP Singh who played in recent years.

Johnny thinks it’s a shame he isn’t a bowler like his father. I can only imagine he has got the RP Singhs mixed up and is talking about the RP Singh who isn’t the father. Unless he’s old enough to remember a RP Singh who played two matches in 1986.

Confusion all around :lol:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
But the image to the left in the article is of the RP Singh who played in recent years.

Johnny thinks it’s a shame he isn’t a bowler like his father. I can only imagine he has got the RP Singhs mixed up and is talking about the RP Singh who isn’t the father. Unless he’s old enough to remember a RP Singh who played two matches in 1986.

Confusion all around :lol:
Yeah, they've obviously fecked up the picture (and other sites carrying the story seem to be doing the same, which doesn't help). Whoever has written the story seems to have their facts right about his age and when he played etc, but then the editor has come along, saw "RP Singh" and whacked in a picture of the one people know from a few years ago. :lol:

But yeah, like you I had no idea of the 80s one and just did a bit of digging when I thought RP looked a little too good for 57.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
At Lords watching London Spirit play Manchester and Morgan has pretty much schooled Buttler here. Not looking good for the latter

LDUred

For reasons unknown, Keiron Pollard wears a watch while batting.

He can't half strike a ball though.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Henry Brookes looks really good, wildcard bet for an England T20 spot given the amount of injuries England have

IRN-BRUno

Lions side going quite well against South Africa, Brook made 140 (170), Lawrence 97 (97) and Duckett also closing in on a century.

Mostly 2nd choice bowling line-up for SA except for Maharaj who's gone for 133 from his 18 overs!

Abraxas

You would think Brook is nailed on to get a go in tests in the near future. A definite Stokes/McCullum pick. Shame we can't seem to unearth an opener.

paulscholes18

Lions side going quite well against South Africa, Brook made 140 (170), Lawrence 97 (97) and Duckett also closing in on a century.

Mostly 2nd choice bowling line-up for SA except for Maharaj who's gone for 133 from his 18 overs!
looking at the scorecard, seem to be batting in a similar fashion to the main test team 575 in 107 overs and Billings and Duckett put on 150 in 27 overs