English cricket thread

Swedish_Plumber

Superb from SA. That bowling attack is very good.
They are, but you just have to be disciplined and you’ll get wickets against England.

No idea why they’ve persisted with Crawley. But the top order in general is piss poor most of the time, barring Root of course but he can’t do it every time.

Widow

Were you saying that in the Test Series earlier in the summer too?
Yes.

We play like it's a one-day event, It's not sustainable. Last night's field placement was just crazy, SA getting around 10 R/O toward the end of the day. Stokes has also struggled with the bat as he seems to think running down the wicket to a pace bowler when the team is in trouble is just not test cricket.

Trequarista10

Would criticise the usual suspects at the top of the order, but Root, Bairstow and Stokes all failed too (although Stokes' batting in tests hasn't been great for a while). I suppose any side needs to be less reliant on one or two blokes saving the rest of the team, as they will inevitably have games where don't do score big.

General comments - nothing new but worth repeating, both openers not good enough, Pope decent potential at test level, Stokes needs to rekindle some old form with the bat, Foakes bit of a weak link at 7, good to see Stokes bowling a bit more and a bit better, but the entire bowling attack looks a bit weak without any genuine pace, and Leach isn't a top quality spinner.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Poor Cricket from Markram, great session from England.

Really really surprised SA went with two spinners so felt obliged to bat first. They'd have us 50/4 for on this and keep the momentum.

Dan_F

Bit of a lucky decision there. Almost as bad as the decision to bat first this morning.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
So even if he didn't think it was LBW, but was giving out for the catch - the fact that it was umpire's call on the LBW means it's out regardless? Interesting.
It's a good point in that edge case scenario - but that's my reading of the rules yes.

IRN-BRUno

Harmer is okay with the bat but having him at 7 gives SA a very long tail especially with a couple of middle-order players out of form.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Really can't take to most of the current Sky commentary team overall. Kumar and Pollock are decent.

The only English one I really like is Butcher.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Harmer is okay with the bat but having him at 7 gives SA a very long tail especially with a couple of middle-order players out of form.
Harmer at 7 is mental. It would be a push to have him at 8.

Early in the Test but I think SA have had a shocker at the toss and team selection

paulscholes18

Do you have a link to this rule?
I don’t, but it happened in the last test match, a SA batsman was given out caught behind but it clipped his pad, and when it was checked for LBW the decision was Not Out so would have needed 3 reds.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I don’t, but it happened in the last test match, a SA batsman was given out caught behind but it clipped his pad, and when it was checked for LBW the decision was Not Out so would have needed 3 reds.
I see - interesting but have to feel that's probably correct.

adamwest

Need to get runs on the board this morning. If Bairstow goes early SA are right back in this.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Need to get runs on the board this morning. If Bairstow goes early SA are right back in this.
I get the feeling today will be easier to bat than yesterday, so I guess England will be eyeing a nice steady build up til the afternoon session with no wickets/possibly one more down, then let loose a little once 250 is on the board.

paulscholes18

2 early wickets of Bairstow and Crawley, one more and they are into the tail, hopefully we can get close to a 100 lead.

Dan_F

Some big spin already, you’d think England need to be looking at a three figure lead from here.

adamwest

100 lead is up. Hopefully these two can stay in for a while! Would love to see Stokes get a ton.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That felt like a bit of a desperate review from South Africa - not even sure they were sure of what they were appealing for.

Stokes and Foakes going well here though. Could be our turn to win by an innings.

Abraxas

England are doing well to put on a good score against a very good attack. Maybe we've got the best of the pitch, but it's important to make it count as second innings batting last should prove tricky on this pitch.

waza7111

Really poor decision by SA to drop Marco Jansen who is one of the main reasons for their recent improvement in this format.

Robindinho

Really poor decision by SA to drop Marco Jansen who is one of the main reasons for their recent improvement in this format.
Yep, looking like a bad choice... Gives the variety of the left arm option - providing foot holes too for the spinners and makes their batting deeper too.

You'd have thought Ngidi would have been the one to leave out, after playing 2 spinners.