English cricket thread

Abraxas

Shocking captaincy from Elgar to be honest. He's let this game drift away. Woeful.

adamwest

Would bloody love a wicket tonight. Still 3 days to play - not out of the realms of possibility they bat all day tomorrow - get back in front and then push on again on Sunday. We really should be winning from this position though. So great to see Stokes and Foakes get their tons today.

Abraxas

Robinson is such a good find for England. As Broad and Anderson wind down we've got him as the reliable man. Just bangs away and tests the batsman, reminds me of a Poundland McGrath. If we can get some pace around him in future we'll be fine.

paulscholes18

Broad with a wicket in his first over, must have been the longest he has had to wait to bowl 21st over

edit: no ball

Trequarista10

Good to see Stokes get a few wickets, and bowling a few more overs than in some recent series. Was starting to worry he was becoming a bit time bowler.

Widow

Any further comments? :D
Yes, England has become an inconsistent test side and although I'm a big fan of Stokes and his ton was pure Stokesy, he's making a bang-average captain.

This is what we are going to get. Some of his in-game decisions are crackers but when it pays off, it looks great! I think what prompted the last comment was crazy over-the-top attacking cricket from the batsmen. Dancing down the wicket to a guy throwing it at 100mph. As I said, when it works it looks great. I'm not too sure it'll work that often but I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yes, England has become an inconsistent test side and although I'm a big fan of Stokes and his ton was pure Stokesy, he's making a bang-average captain.

This is what we are going to get. Some of his in-game decisions are crackers but when it pays off, it looks great! I think what prompted the last comment was crazy over-the-top attacking cricket from the batsmen. Dancing down the wicket to a guy throwing it at 100mph. As I said, when it works it looks great. I'm not too sure it'll work that often but I'm just going to enjoy the ride.
I think Stokes is making a great captain so far. Going from Root's team who were scared of their own shadows, to thrashing NZ in style and putting in very creditable performances against the world's no.1 Test side, it's night and day. Losing a game or making bad decisions here and there doesn't change the fact that his overall impact has been huge.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

Of course it’s easy to say with the results England have had but Stokes is a natural captain, he has a fantastic feel for the game and inspires his team. He’s so much better than Root it feels daft that there was even a debate whether or not Stokes should have been made captain. The limitation going forward will be the players not the captain. If they can find some openers and proper quick bowlers for overseas, they can become a serious team under his guidance.

paulscholes18

Harry Singh has got a 50 opening for the U19, might as well give him a try in the next test match.

IRN-BRUno

T20 squad for the Pakistan series and World Cup announced tomorrow, Roy has apparently been left out for Will Jacks

TwoSheds

T20 squad for the Pakistan series and World Cup announced tomorrow, Roy has apparently been left out for Will Jacks
Right call for me. Jacks has looked dominant in many of the Hundred games this year, really looks like he's kicked up a level in terms of his confidence and consistency. I think Salt ought to be the keeper too, not sure how to crowbar them both in but I feel it needs to be tried.

Robindinho

Right call for me. Jacks has looked dominant in many of the Hundred games this year, really looks like he's kicked up a level in terms of his confidence and consistency. I think Salt ought to be the keeper too, not sure how to crowbar them both in but I feel it needs to be tried.
Only way would probably be to drop Malan... Someone else will need to keep anyway for me, as it's too much for Buttler to do (Bairstow, if not Salt)...

Buttler
Jacks
Salt/Malan
Bairstow
Stokes
Livingstone
Ali
Curran
Jordan
Rashid
Topley

phelans shorts

Presumably looking at a World Cup team of:
Buttler (C)
Salt (WK)
Malan
Bairstow
Stokes
Livingstone
Ali
Jordan
Woakes
Rashid
Wood

But I’ll be honest, I was struggling with the bowling. From that squad I’d personally swap Willey for Woakes and Curran for Stokes

TwoSheds

The bowling looks crap.
Yeah, I guess if Topley stays in such great form then you could say he and Rashid are top class, and Woakes can be but we'll have to see how he comes back. But the other ones are just "good" aren't they?

Ref the Jacks Vs Salt thing, I think they've probably made the right call, but Jacks Vs Livingstone seems like a debate worth having unless Livingstone can get some proper runs.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Presumably looking at a World Cup team of:
Buttler (C)
Salt (WK)
Malan
Bairstow
Stokes
Livingstone
Ali
Jordan
Woakes
Rashid
Wood

But I’ll be honest, I was struggling with the bowling. From that squad I’d personally swap Willey for Woakes and Curran for Stokes
Bairstow opening apparently. I reckon it will be:

Bairstow
Buttler
Malan
Stokes
Livingstone
Ali
Curran
Jordan
Rashid
Wood
Topley

I don't think you need both Stokes and Curran, so perhaps Brook might be worth a go. Given how bad England's bowling is (and assuming it will go to all parks), I think having the extra batsman would help. Death bowling will still be England's downfall

phelans shorts

Bairstow opening apparently. I reckon it will be:

Bairstow
Buttler
Malan
Stokes
Livingstone
Ali
Curran
Jordan
Rashid
Wood
Topley

I don't think you need both Stokes and Curran, so perhaps Brook might be worth a go. Given how bad England's bowling is (and assuming it will go to all parks), I think having the extra batsman would help. Death bowling will still be England's downfall
And 6 hours after Key said Bairstow was opening at the World Cup, he’s announced as being out of the tournament. Salt definitely to open now.

I must say, I’m fascinated by finding out what the mysterious lower limb freak golf injury is

Trequarista10

WC team will likely be:

Salt
Buttler
Malan
Brook
Stokes
Livingstone
Ali
Woakes/Willey
Jordan
Rashid
Topley

With S.Curran and Wood as alternatives, plus whichever batsmen is called up to replace Bairstow.

Will be interesting to see if they instantly recall Roy or go for Jacks/Duckett/Cox who have been called up for the Pakistan series. The Pakistan series is also a good opportunity for those two and others to earn a place beyond the WC, as Malan will likely be phased out after the WC.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Terrible bowling against the field that was set.