English cricket thread

IRN-BRUno

I’m legitimately amazed they’ve gone with him after the drugs tests and his involvement in the Rafiq affair. Someone like Jacks or Smeed made way more sense.
Yeah, that really surprised me too.

I wonder how much input the rest of the squad had. Cricinfo reported last week that " there is little appetite for Hales to be recalled among senior players in the group " and in Stokes' recent documentary when talking about the Bristol incident he described him as his "friend at the time". Obviously you can't just pick a side on who likes each other but at the same time you don't necessarily want a guy coming in who people don't get on with because of past incidents.

phelans shorts

Yeah, that really surprised me too.

I wonder how much input the rest of the squad had. Cricinfo reported last week that " there is little appetite for Hales to be recalled among senior players in the group " and in Stokes' recent documentary when talking about the Bristol incident he described him as his "friend at the time". Obviously you can't just pick a side on who likes each other but at the same time you don't necessarily want a guy coming in who people don't get on with because of past incidents.
It’s particularly baffling as he’s going to be a backup, seems totally unnecessary to upset the Apple cart like that, as good a player as he is.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think he’ll pakistan his way into contention. if you bring him back in, you play him.

Robindinho

It’s particularly baffling as he’s going to be a backup, seems totally unnecessary to upset the Apple cart like that, as good a player as he is.
Why is he a backup? Come in as the Bairstow replacement, who Key had said would open.

Going to be opening with Buttler no?

phelans shorts

Why is he a backup? Come in as the Bairstow replacement, who Key had said would open.

Going to be opening with Buttler no?
Why would he have usurped Phil Salt? Salt who’s playing allows Buttler to not keep, out scored Hales in the Blast and just generally has been part of this side for the last year and primarily opens?

Robindinho

Why would he have usurped Phil Salt? Salt who’s playing allows Buttler to not keep, out scored Hales in the Blast and just generally has been part of this side for the last year and primarily opens?
Agreed, but seems the management don't - going off the moving Bairstow up comments.

I think Salt will still play (and keep) but come in at no.4, where Bairstow was and Hales in for Roy...

Hales
Buttler
Malan
Salt
Stokes
Livingstone
Ali

4 bowlers

slyadams

He was out of the squad for non-sporting reasons, if those have been overcome and he's in the squad he should play as he's in the top 6-7 T20 English T20 batsmen.

phelans shorts

Agreed, but seems the management don't - going off the moving Bairstow up comments.

I think Salt will still play (and keep) but come in at no.4, where Bairstow was and Hales in for Roy...

Hales
Buttler
Malan
Salt
Stokes
Livingstone
Ali

4 bowlers
Bairstow moving up to open over Salt is one thing, Hales is another. Bairstow prefers opening and has a fair shout at being England’s best white ball batter, so while it’s not what I’d do I do see the sense.

The four right handers at the top is a worry there too, Stokes will almost certainly be moved into the top 4 (or Mo depending on match condition, but England need to get better at mixing up the order based on the match). I reckon Salt will open, everyone will move up and Sam Curran is in.

Having a Livingstone or a Mo come in too late is just pointless for everyone.

Trequarista10

I think it's clear they've gone for Hales due to his experience with no Bairstow and Roy. Salt and Brook haven't played in a world cup and have played a little franchise cricket, but Hales has played a ton in various franchises and has scored the most runs of any non Australian in the Big Bash.

waza7111

The forecast is not great for today and tomorrow.

All those weeks of sunny weather and they decide to play a test match in September

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
one of the benefits of bazball is that 3 days is enough.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'm there tomorrow. If we somehow get 98 overs in per day there can quite easily be a result.

But it's reliant on getting SA out for 200ish first up.

Trequarista10

Robinson seems to have really stepped up a level this summer. He was good last year, but now he looks like one of the first names on the team sheet. Reward for Stokes and McCullum choosing him to open over Broad.

paulscholes18

Crawley and Lees have completely switched their game around trying to find form, Lees trying to blast himself into form and Crawley being more watchful.

paulscholes18

One thing England are missing is a left arm seamer, shame Luke Wood's FC average isn't better, as he's quite tall and bowls at a good pace.