English cricket thread

SinNombre

The rule is quite simple. You don't leave the potting crease until the ball is released. She was obviously stealing ground often enough for the bowl to wait for it to happen again and stump her.
Of course, she was and knew what she was doing.

The whole brouhaha about Mankad-ing is amongst the most stupidest things about the sport.

We have people intentionally cheating including the English wicketkeeper who fumbled in plain sight and claimed a catch and that’s what should deserve attention.

The T20 format favoring chasing teams especially in the two tournaments in UAE would be another that should be talked about, not someone getting dismissed for trying to gain an unfair advantage.

Last edited:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
If the shoe was on the other foot, the arguments would be switched. It's like liking Bruno and disliking David Luiz. The only difference is that one of them plays for the club you support.

If you don't want to be 'Mankad-ed', don't try to steal a run before the delivery. You may get away with it most of the time, but you can't complain the one time you don't. Taking moral positions over this is silly.

kps88

You would usually warn them though and then if it continues take the wicket
What good would a warning have done if India ended up losing by a run she managed to steal? A warning only works if the third umpire checks and deducts the runs that were unfairly gained. Otherwise you're giving a free go to batsmen to break the rules and gain an advantage until warned.

TheReligion

Abusive
What good would a warning have done if India ended up losing by a run she managed to steal? A warning only works if the third umpire checks and deducts the runs that were unfairly gained. Otherwise you're giving a free go to batsmen to break the rules and gain an advantage until warned.
Yeah I think you miss the point somewhat. Are you Indian? This would explain a lot!

SinNombre

Wow - this girl Dean was cheating throughout the innings and it got considerably worse as she batted with the tail.

Left her crease early 73 times(!), much bigger headstart when batting with 10-11 and on balls 1-5 of an over. It is pretty obviously intentional.

TheReligion

Abusive
Are Indian fans still going on about this? The rest of the world has moved on
It seems like it. Everything online (and here) is Indian fans rambling on about it, trying to compare it to incomparable instances and seeking justification. No one else is interested. I call it a guilty conscience mixed with a tinge of embarrassment.

:lol: Wow. Tagline checks out.
I was simply saying most Indians/Indian fans don’t seem to get the point and your post kind of highlighted that. Not sure what’s abusive to you?

Trequarista10

So after 4 games vs Pakistan, what do people think the England team is going to look like at the WC then? I'm leaning towards:

Hales
Buttler
Malan
Brook
Stokes
Livingstone
Moeen
Jordan
Rashid
Wood
Topley

Subs: Salt, Curran, Woakes, Willey

Feels weird to leave out 3 all rounders, but Wood and Topley kind of have to be in there if fit, and not sure about dropping Jordan. Think Hales is a starter due to his T20 and franchise experience, especially in Australia.

Other than Buttler, Moeen, Rashid and possibly Stokes everyone is droppable though.

waza7111

So after 4 games vs Pakistan, what do people think the England team is going to look like at the WC then? I'm leaning towards:

Hales
Buttler
Malan
Brook
Stokes
Livingstone
Moeen
Jordan
Rashid
Wood
Topley

Feels weird to leave out 3 all rounders, but Wood and Topley kind of have to be in there if fit, and not sure about dropping Jordan. Think Hales is a starter due to his T20 and franchise experience, especially in Australia.

Other than Buttler, Moeen, Rashid and possibly Stokes everyone is droppable though.
The late order of Stokes/Livingstone/Moeen will be crucial for England to have a chance of winning it. They are very inconsistent with the bat especially in t20.

I would prefer Ben Duckett in place of one of them as I don't think we need so many all rounders but he's not in the squad

phelans shorts

Hales
Buttler
Malan
Brook
Stokes
Livingstone
Moeen
Jordan
Rashid
Wood
Topley

Salt (WK)
Buttler (C)
Malan
Stokes
Ali
Brooke
Livingstone
Curran
Rashid
Wood
Topley

It’s looking like to me. Reckon Curran gets the nod over Jordan primarily for being left handed, need to be a lot more fluid with that middle order than we were last time.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

I thought whole world moved on :lol:
In fairness the fact that Ben Stokes gets bought up any time England face any sort of perceived injustice shows a large proportion of the world HAVEN'T moved on from that one.

AshRK

In fairness the fact that Ben Stokes gets bought up any time England face any sort of perceived injustice shows a large proportion of the world HAVEN'T moved on from that one.
Comparing to Ben stokes incident is a joke. So I agree with him that the comparison is lame.

Trequarista10

The late order of Stokes/Livingstone/Moeen will be crucial for England to have a chance of winning it. They are very inconsistent with the bat especially in t20.

I would prefer Ben Duckett in place of one of them as I don't think we need so many all rounders but he's not in the squad
I really rate Duckett, think he could represent England in all formats, and I think he'll replace Malan after the WC. I did think it was weird the WC squad was finalised before the Pakistan series, I guess there was a deadline to announce the squad? Also what's weird is none of the travelling reserves are batsmen, so if another batsman gets injured there's only bowlers and all rounders to call upon. I guess the management see having variation of bowling options as more important than extra batting cover, so bowlers may be rotated on a horses for courses basis but the batsmen will likely play every game unless really out of form.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Finely balanced here with Duckett now gone. Still think England have the upper hand marginally though.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Good couple of overs from Pakistan there - only 5 runs coming from them.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
On that note, my WC line up.

Hales
Butler
Malan (I'd prefer Root but not going)
Stokes
Brook
Livingstone
Ali
Jordan
Rashid
Wood
Topley

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Great debut from Aamer Jamal. What a time to bowl your second over in international cricket. :lol:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Hales career will be over after this series. Doesn’t really look up for it. Wish they had given Will jacks more games

Fully Fledged

Harsh and this is the B team. Competed well considering.
I can understand 1 or maybe 2 batsmen going all guns blazing but once you are 2 wickets down you've got to reign it in a bit. I wasn't a big score they didn't need to knock the ball out of the ground.
20/20 matches this year lost 11 won 6 and they haven't beaten anybody in a series. I think I'm being completely fair. It's a world cup year.

Chief123

Hales career will be over after this series. Doesn’t really look up for it. Wish they had given Will jacks more games
Most importantly he’s dropped 3 out of 4 critical catches this series. Twice against Rizwan who went on to score big scores. If Hales takes those 2 catches I don’t see Pakistan winning either of those games.