English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

Cricket is the dumbest sport ever.
Yeah they really don't help themselves do they. You realise on days like today why it's such a niche sport.

The idea that you should come off for bad light when you've got floodlights is stupid.

JohnnyKills

Bullshit this, if this is dark what the feck are they going to do in September?
Completely.

Mind you one of the umpires who made the decision is Joel Wilson, the guy from the first test. If he thinks it's dark I'm betting it's actually bright sunshine.

NinjaFletch

As annoying as the decision to go off, what annoys me more is the decision at 4.06 to take tea at 4.10 rather than, you know, what time it actually is.

Did the same thing at lunch time, too; waited for 25 minutes to make a decision. Bit of rain around so might as well sit around doing literally nothing.

JohnnyKills

As annoying as the decision to go off, what annoys me more is the decision at 4.06 to take tea at 4.10 rather than, you know, what time it actually is.

Did the same thing at lunch time, too; waited for 25 minutes to make a decision. Bit of rain around so might as well sit around doing literally nothing.
Yeah. It's ridiculous. There's no urgency from the umpires at all. Each time there's a break they dither and dawdle and practically wait for the rain to come back.

Everyone who's at the game has had to take a day off work and pay a fortune for the ticket. Surely cricket needs to think of them? Instead of inventing ridiculous gimmicks like the Hundred for people who don't actually like the game, why not try to reward the people who are sticking with it?

Even worse is the fact that Wilson is one of the umpires. He should be thankful he's been given the game after that appalling showing at Edgbaston.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Warner and Labuschagne both seeing the ball quite clearly. England’s overtly attacking field also means if either batsman times a ball in front of the stumps, highly like he’ll hit the boundary. Am really impressed by Labuschagne. Has good temperament and a wide range of defensive and attacking technique.

England’s lengths have also been too full, and not aggressive enough. It’s as though they don’t know how to exploit ball movement. Which is surprising given what happened at Lords. Really want Archer to bowl at full capacity and aggression when he comes back for next spell.

England need to get Australia at least 6 down by end of play if they are to have maximised benefit from the conditions today, especially as its sunny forecast from tomorrow

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Marnus should be in the team even when Smith comes back in. Looks like a quality player.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
:keano:
Haha, I'm probably only saying it because Michael Holding did!

Ass you say, we could do with rotating the seamers a bit more, and reducing the reliance on Archer. We're going to burn him out if we don't do that.
Woakes and Stokes have been largely useless since they came on. Completely conceded the gains and pressure created by Broad and Archer. In doing so, have played Warner into form.

Just goes to show how we know nothing :lol:

JohnnyKills

:keano:
Woakes and Stokes have been largely useless since they came on. Completely conceded the gains and pressure created by Broad and Archer. In doing so, have played Warner into form.

Just goes to show how we know nothing :lol:
True. Seems they've really struggled to control the swing doesn't it.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Agree. Should replace Khawaja or Head. Aus also have an issue at opening partner to Warner.
I think Harris is a good player. Khawaja failure surprises me, he's a very good player.

Djemba-Djemba

No Smith, winning the toss and looks like we'll be ending the day with Australia on top.

Really really poor bowling since tea.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
True. Seems they've really struggled to control the swing doesn't it.
Exactly. Ball is swinging alot but woakes and Stokes couldn’t deploy to their advantage. Which is poor form and frustrating from England’s point of view.

jungledrums

Other countries may have done as bad, but they haven’t been caught! The things they have been challenged are often circumstantial (mints and dust).

Hiding Sandpaper down your pants is on another level :lol: and rightly deserved a different level of punishment.

The subsequent outrage from non- Australians was as much about the hypocrisy of ‘the line’, many years of sledging and other unsportsmanlike behaviour as it was about ball tampering.
And about Aus generally being the best? Mate I’m all for accepting the many wrongs of Aussie cricketing teams but you’re generalising a fan base/nation massively. Cool it a little please.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
And about Aus generally being the best? Mate I’m all for accepting the many wrongs of Aussie cricketing teams but you’re generalising a fan base/nation massively. Cool it a little please.
No i dont think it had much to do with Australia winning a lot. It was how they went about winning.

Certainly for me at least. Maybe other non Aussie fans can share their view?

I also wrote that post sandpaper Australia team are much more palatable.

JohnnyKills

No i dont think it had much to do with Australia winning a lot. It was how they went about winning.

Certainly for me at least. Maybe other non Aussie fans can share their view?

I also wrote that post sandpaper Australia team are much more palatable.
The great team of ´95-05 certainly wasn't as reviled as the sandpaper team was, and they were much better.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Surprised that wasn't given out straight away by the Umpire, but good review.

If we can get another two wickets before close of play that'll set us up nicely for tomorrow

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Archer first 5fer. (6-45). First of many I’m sure.

Archer is quite correct to identify red ball and test cricket as his ideal format. ODI and T20 hinders his intensity, range of abilities and capacity to work over batsman.

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Australia should really drop Paine for the next game.

Harris
Warner
Smith (c)
Labuschagne
Khawaja
Head
Wade (wk)
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon

Job done.