English cricket thread

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
So how does the final day work scoring wise ?
Do NZ get to keep going until all out and then England have the rest of the day to surpass the total?

phelans shorts

So how does the final day work scoring wise ?
Do NZ get to keep going until all out and then England have the rest of the day to surpass the total?
Yep, or New Zealand can declare on whatever score they want (not very likely, they’ll get to a score they’re comfortable with and start slogging if they want to put England in), if England are still batting and don’t make it then it’s a draw, if they make it they win and if they lose all 10 wickets then New Zealand win

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think england will go all t20 and be skittled for 120.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
i think england will go all t20 and be skittled for 120.
I wouldn't be surprised. It does feel like England are trying to be something not seen before in test cricket and there's a good reason it's not been seen.

Yep, or New Zealand can declare on whatever score they want (not very likely, they’ll get to a score they’re comfortable with and start slogging if they want to put England in), if England are still batting and don’t make it then it’s a draw, if they make it they win and if they lose all 10 wickets then New Zealand win
Forgot the tie.

McGrathsipan

Thats confused me even more.

If England are still batting by the end of the day then its a draw - even if they dont get to the run total?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Thats confused me even more.

If England are still batting by the end of the day then its a draw - even if they dont get to the run total?
What is confusing about that? If England don’t get the required runs and NZ don’t get the required wickets then there is no winner.

McGrathsipan

What is confusing about that? If England don’t get the required runs and NZ don’t get the required wickets then there is no winner.
NZ will have more runs and England fail to catch them. Surely its unfair on the team in the lead if they have done well enough to have a chasing team still chasing on day 5

DOTA

NZ will have more runs and England fail to catch them. Surely its unfair on the team in the lead if they have done well enough to have a chasing team still chasing on day 5
It'd be way too easy to bat first and make the game very boring if all you had to do was stop the other team winning in time.

Dan_F

I wouldn't be surprised. It does feel like England are trying to be something not seen before in test cricket and there's a good reason it's not been seen.
That’s probably a bit harsh. It was only really Stokes that played a bit too aggressive. The only reason England even have a shot right now is the run rate they managed. If they had to bat for another two hours to get to that score, the game would be a certain draw or NZ win.

I think England have a very good chance if they can keep the chase as close to 250 as possible, 300 would be difficult. It’s unlikely that a second new ball will come into play now, meaning that England need to try to keep wickets in the bank and could really go for it in the last session if that’s the situation.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think you’re underestimating the effect baz will have had on the team in the 17 days he’s decided he’s a test coach. lucky we haven’t batted first yet otherwise i reckon we’d have racked up 1,000 runs in a first innings and new zealand would have already flown home, leaving behind their test champions cup for the real test champions.

phelans shorts

As DOTA said, that would just incentivise teams to bat first and make it as boring as possible, you could just as easily flip it and say England took more wickets so it’s unfair on them that they lose just because time ran out.

DOTA

That’s probably a bit harsh. It was only really Stokes that played a bit too aggressive.
It's Stokes and then yesterday morning that's got me concerned, at other times it's been nicely balanced aggression, but Root reverse scooping the second ball he faced that day when we were still quite a bit behind was pretty extreme.

ChrisNelson

I would have liked to have seen at least one wicket by now for England to be really in this. Hopefully the new ball will provide the breakthrough/s as I think 300 is the absolute ceiling for us and even that is a massive ask on a day 5 pitch with some players in iffy form and a long tail.

Balljy

I would have liked to have seen at least one wicket by now for England to be really in this. Hopefully the new ball will provide the breakthrough/s as I think 300 is the absolute ceiling for us and even that is a massive ask on a day 5 pitch with some players in iffy form and a long tail.
I've only just caught up on the score, but looking at the timings this post must have been a proper reverse jinx.

ChrisNelson

Come on, get this last one out, we've got a chance of winning this. It's a fairly easy 50 over 1 day target, don't piss about now.
Only trouble is, we don't have a white ball team out there! Crawley and Bairstow in particular are under enough pressure as it is without scoreboard pressure.

We got a good score in the first innings but we are still fragile with the bat and if we're forced to score at a consistent rate I can see it going badly!

slyadams

These late runs are deadly, not just because of the scoreboard, but because NZ's tails will be up now.

This bowling seems madness though, pitching it in any way short so the player can just tee off. Especially with a new ball, it should be pitched up.

IRN-BRUno

Our tail is one of the most comically inept we've had for a while. Yes, they are in the side to bowl first and foremost, but with the bat in hand they have a job to do and if nothing else they should be putting some kind of price on their wicket like Hoggard did. No-one is anywhere near as bad as Chris Martin, but they just look so easy to dismiss.

From 8-11 you can get away with having a few rabbits at 10-11, but you've got to have someone there who knows which way round to hold the bat or someone who will try and support Ben Foakes or whoever is the senior batsman.

Maybe we should bring in Jamie Overton from Surrey for an experiment in the 3rd test. I've never understood why England have not given him a go, especially given that he looks a bit quicker than most in the CC.
Injuries, inconsistency the main issues. Seems to have stepped up a level this season though now he's working with Azhar Mahmood at Surrey. Concussed his brother and Josh Davey in the current championship match!

Remember watching him in a tour game against Australia in 2013, his pace had them all look uncomfortable. Was convinced he'd be in the England side within a few years.

Dan_F

Our best bowler, the new ball and bowling properly at a tailender and oh look 4 balls later it's all over.
What happened, I was in a meeting for work? I saw NZ smacking it around. Looking at the scorecard we didn’t take the new ball at 80 overs?

Dan_F

It's Stokes and then yesterday morning that's got me concerned, at other times it's been nicely balanced aggression, but Root reverse scooping the second ball he faced that day when we were still quite a bit behind was pretty extreme.
Ignore what I said, this is a bit stupid. There’s no need to attack so hard before lunch. We’ve seen throughout the innings how easy it is to hit the soft ball.

Djemba-Djemba

What happened, I was in a meeting for work? I saw NZ smacking it around. Looking at the scorecard we didn’t take the new ball at 80 overs?
Bounced out Henry and Jamieson, who is on one leg anyway, and then just sent down short ball after short ball at Boult who was smashing it all over the park. With the old ball.

Last wicket partnership added about 35 , we finally took the new ball gave it to Jimmy who got Boult in 4 balls.

Crawley is really struggling.

Robindinho

Only took it at 83 overs. Got too caught up in the short ball ploy... Every single ball banged in with all the field out.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Bounced out Henry and Jamieson, who is on one leg anyway, and then just sent down short ball after short ball at Boult who was smashing it all over the park. With the old ball.

Last wicket partnership added about 35 , we finally took the new ball gave it to Jimmy who got Boult in 4 balls.

Crawley is really struggling.
I'd drop Crawley for Compton for the last test. 3 left handers and 3 right handers would bring a nice balance to the top order as much as anything else. Might as well give Brook a run out over Bairstow while we're at it. We can make it clear he's not been dropped, just giving the new lads a go.

Surely Leach's 1 wicket and poor economy rate on that pitch has to damn him to being a backup option only now though. Complete waste of a spot in the side, good lad or not.