English cricket thread

Doracle

It was really pathetic from Carey and Cummins but I think it'll win them the game and end up largely forgotten by the end of Cummins career. It probably will follow Carey forever.
Yeah, Broad telling him that’s all he will ever be remembered for is brutal but true.

Zen

Oh, he's giving Broad 4 balls now.... getting too confident :lol:

AshRK

Bairstow was slightly moronic in my opinion, although also shit umpiring not making it crystal when it's over. It is pure gamesmanship from the Aussies though and that's always going to rile everyone up.

Wonder what the reactions would have been if it was the other way around though... Imagine different from all sides involved.
Aussies would be crying and england fans would be explaining the law and say nothing wrong.

Zen

I know Stokes’ knee isn’t great but has to be scope to get 2s with all the Aussies being on the fence.
"Not sure Broad's quick enough to get back" !! Broad age < Stokes knee :lol:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Another really good match. It's gonna be a real shame for the series if Australia end up winning another close one, just cause of the reality of the maths, but really good contest again.

Doracle

Aussies would be crying and england fans would be explaining the law and say nothing wrong.
Again, there is absolutely no chance that Stokes would have followed through on that appeal. It’s completely the opposite of his entire ideology.

Zen

Again, there is absolutely no chance that Stokes would have followed through on that appeal. It’s completely the opposite of his entire ideology.
Totally agree here. I know De Grandhomme is being relentlessly brought up, but the genuine characteristics of what is actually happening in both circumstances are totally different, it's like comparing Smith and Starcs two catches, there might be similarities, but they aren't the same.

Stokes values a top class competitiveness over winning at any cost, it's what makes him ultra unique to be fair. Any other England captain in history just does what Cummins does, since most top level sportsmen value winning at any cost over genuine sportsmanship, whether we like it or not, it's essentially the mentality that's got to that level.

Doracle

Totally agree here. I know De Grandhomme is being relentlessly brought up, but the genuine characteristics of what is actually happening in both circumstances are totally different, it's like comparing Smith and Starcs two catches, there might be similarities, but they aren't the same.

Stokes values a top class competitiveness over winning at any cost, it's what makes him ultra unique to be fair. Any other England captain in history just does what Cummins does, since most top level sportsmen value winning at any cost over genuine sportsmanship, whether we like it or not, it's essentially the mentality that's got to that level.
It’s most similar to the Bell “dismissal” against India about a decade ago where Dhoni reinstated him at lunch, which was the correct thing to do.

LDUred

Personally, I think Jonny was dozy and the blame is 100% on him. He can't have any complaints.

If I was Carey, I might have said something like, 'Do you know you're going out of your ground, mate?' But he doesn't obviously have any obligation to do that. That's something you'd expect more at club level, but he could have done it to ensure that Bairstow had no defence if he kept doing it.

I think the amount of stick Australia have copped for this is disproportionate. I was more annoyed by Mitch Starc claiming the catch yesterday, as I felt that he knew he had stuffed up there.

Doracle

Personally, I think Jonny was dozy and the blame is on him. He can't have any complaints.

If I was Carey, I might have said something like, 'Do you know you're going out of your ground, mate?' But he doesn't obviously have any obligation to do that. That's something you'd expect more at club level.

I think the amount of stick Australia have copped for this is disproportionate. I was more annoyed by Mitch Starc claiming the catch yesterday, as I felt that he knew he had stuffed up there.
It is miles worse than a mankad and teams get crap for days when they do that stuff. They deserve every bit of derision they are getting today and will continue to get.

LDUred

It is miles worse than a mankad and teams get crap for days when they do that stuff. They deserve every bit of derision they are getting today and will continue to get.
I've always grounded my bat at the end of each over. I agree it's incredibly harsh on Bairstow but technically it's within the laws of the game and as a professional, the onus is on you to ground your bat.

In any case, it seems like it's fired England up and given them a greater chance.

bleedred

Cummins and starc have to bowl out for Australia. Josh and Green have been shite.

AshRK

Can’t see England doing that and Stokes not reversing the appeal considering his captaincy. All on the back of Starc claiming a non catch today as well.
That's just a guess. Stokes would not have called the batter back for his naivety. Bairstow was naive and Carey was within the law to run him out. Not sure where the whole talk it is wrong coming into play here. Bairstow should have been smart, period. Just like every other batter should. I don't care if it is your favorite or not. If tomorrow Kohli gets out like this, I would be pissed but I won't be saying the fielder was cheating or incorrect to do.

Doracle

I've always grounded my bat at the end of each over. I agree it's incredibly harsh on Bairstow but technically it's within the laws of the game and as a professional, the onus is on you to ground your bat.

In any case, it seems like it's fired England up and given them a greater chance.
Not really. Bairstow and Stokes in with 90 left and England would be favourites. Australia also wouldn’t be able to stick everyone on the boundary as they’d just have the strike ticking over with singles.

Doracle

That's just a guess. Stokes would not have called the batter back for his naivety. Bairstow was naive and Carey was within the law to run him out. Not sure where the whole talk it is wrong coming into play here. Bairstow should have been smart, period. Just like every other batter should. I don't care if it is your favorite or not. If tomorrow Kohli gets out like this, I would be pissed but I won't be saying the fielder was cheating or incorrect to do.
Utter bollocks. See what Dhoni did in 2011 with Bell. That’s how a true captain would react and what Stokes would have most definitely done. It’s not even up for debate.

AshRK

Maybe, but I'm inclined to agree with AshRK below. Elite sport at the end of the day.
Let us not forget this was the same stokes who benefitted a WC trophy because the ball hit his bat and went for 4 runs. He could have said hey I give back your 4 runs but he did not and neither was he obligated to. Bad luck, move on.

People are acting as if bairstow was pushed outside the crease and Carey ran him out.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Stokes playing another sensational innings.

AshRK

Utter bollocks. See what Dhoni did in 2011 with Bell. That’s how a true captain would react and what Stokes would have most definitely done. It’s not even up for debate.
Dhoni did and we lost the series 4-0. Did english media gave India the trophy for that.

TheGame

Everyone is in agreement that Bairstow was stupid and nobody is saying it is cheating. People are saying it is against the spirit of the game.

prateik

Stokes is incredible.
Shame about the long tail.. Aus just need 1 wicket to completely change this