English fans in Amsterdam

Alabaster Codify7

Welshman here, far from anti-English - lived there for 12yrs, most of my mates are English. I'm far from a chest-beating patriotic Welshman who lvoes 'getting one over on England'.

But English football fans abroad are the absolute pits.

Even in France when they were targeted by the Russians. The defence/narrative was 'just football fans singing and having a good time'. It wasn't. The England fans they were showing were singing, alright. But they were singing baretop, arms spread out to the side, aggressive confrontational provocative chanting. That sort of body language and tone of voice is pure "come and have a go". They cannot be surprised when people take them up on it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Welshman here, far from anti-English - lived there for 12yrs, most of my mates are English. I'm far from a chest-beating patriotic Welshman who lvoes 'getting one over on England'.

But English football fans abroad are the absolute pits.

Even in France when they were targeted by the Russians. The defence/narrative was 'just football fans singing and having a good time'. It wasn't. The England fans they were showing were singing, alright. But they were singing baretop, arms spread out to the side, aggressive confrontational provocative chanting. That sort of body language and tone of voice is pure "come and have a go". They cannot be surprised when people take them up on it.
Problem is that some of our fans are still under the illusion that we rule the world, when in fact they will find we have fallen down the pecking order a bit. That foreigners are stupid, when in fact the ones being shown as stupid and ignorant are them. Living in the past, we won the war, we won the World Cup, we gave football to the world. It is infuriating watching them.

Revaulx

Problem is that some of our fans are still under the illusion that we rule the world, when in fact they will find we have fallen down the pecking order a bit. That foreigners are stupid, when in fact the ones being shown as stupid and ignorant are them. Living in the past, we won the war, we won the World Cup, we gave football to the world. It is infuriating watching them.
This, basically. It’s very sad really

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Would wage that 80-90% of England away fans are the Brexit Tommy Robinson type Carling drinking bellends coming to a Wetherspoons near you.

Speedicut75

I used to attempt to mitigate my fellow England fans' antics with all sorts of spurious BS about "banter" and "heavy handed policing", but it just gets to a point when a such obfuscation is completely ridiculous. For all the stuff that is written over here about other nations' backward, regressive & illiberal attitudes towards hooliganism take a look at the boorish, anti-social and downright thuggish behaviour of our own "supporters" abroad.
Hope they all have a jolly-up in the former Soviet Union and see where it gets the mardy little clowns

Spark

As someone who is born and bred English, but half-Dutch, these fans are the most despicable bunch of morons. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are the same West Ham fans I see around Liverpool Street station in London, booting random signs and being loutish on a Saturday afternoon, thinking their somehow cool or "hard".

Utter cnuts the lot of them and makes possibly the shittest impression of the English, ever. Years of going to the Netherlands to visit family, the English have always been considered friends (WW2 and the Dutch love a holiday to the UK), but stuff like this makes it so embarrassing to be English. Going in a couple weeks, blatantly will have to jokingly caveat that I'm not a football hooligan twat with every single conversation, as it'll be in the forefront of peoples' minds.

Bellends!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Would wage that 80-90% of England away fans are the Brexit Tommy Robinson type Carling drinking bellends coming to a Wetherspoons near you.
Yep Luton Town and Scunthorpe United fans dressed head to toe in Aquascutum and Stone Island.

DomesticTadpole

I used to attempt to mitigate my fellow England fans' antics with all sorts of spurious BS about "banter" and "heavy handed policing", but it just gets to a point when a such obfuscation is completely ridiculous. For all the stuff that is written over here about other nations' backward, regressive & illiberal attitudes towards hooliganism take a look at the boorish, anti-social and downright thuggish behaviour of our own "supporters" abroad.
Hope they all have a jolly-up in the former Soviet Union and see where it gets the mardy little clowns
I actually have a lot of respect for Gareth Southgate saying we should get our own house in order regarding racism when hauling other countries over the coals for it. Hooliganism is raising it's ugly head again. I actually do blame brexit for it, that these neanderthals think they now have the right to do what the hell they like. It was raised on the radio the other day that it could be that a lot of the banning orders are now expiring and these cretins are on the loose again.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
That's just embarrassing, cowards the lot of 'em, everybody knows you can't have a fair fight if you can't pull their t-shirt/jumper over their head so they can't see what direction the blows are coming from :lol:
:lol:

I bet they're wearing cricket boxes too, to avoid a swift elbow to the Travellers whilst they've got some lager lout in a headlock. Soft shites.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That's just embarrassing, cowards the lot of 'em, everybody knows you can't have a fair fight if you can't pull their t-shirt/jumper over their head so they can't see what direction the blows are coming from :lol:
Still the oppurtinity for an atomic wedgie though :D.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I actually have a lot of respect for Gareth Southgate saying we should get our own house in order regarding racism when hauling other countries over the coals for it. Hooliganism is raising it's ugly head again. I actually do blame brexit for it, that these neanderthals think they now have the right to do what the hell they like. It was raised on the radio the other day that it could be that a lot of the banning orders are now expiring and these cretins are on the loose again.
Again I think we can't swallow what the media are feeding us. England and the Uk in general have a problem with binge drinking, which can lead to wankerish behaviour. That doesn't mean there is a rise in football holiganism. Which is a very, very different thing.

DomesticTadpole

Again I think we can't swallow what the media are feeding us. England and the Uk in general have a problem with binge drinking, which can lead to wankerish behaviour. That doesn't mean there is a rise in football holiganism. Which is a very, very different thing.
I agree about the drinking, but that has been a problem for years, not just with football fans. The English just cannot behave when they have drunk too much, or more that they don't know when they have had too much drink. Maybe they need educating.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Nah - they were the ones who didn’t bother to vote
Nah, they definitely were the ones that made crap illiterate statuses about it. Something about 'takin the countrie back'. Then ignored everything since.

Bocca9978

The English abroad eh!? I can't think of a worse set of people for the locals to have to deal with than us. Least when the Irish get pissed they're merry and have a laugh.
‘Some’ English abroad. Tar, same brush etc.

togg

Well, this is teeing up nicely for the world cup. What with the disintegration of British relations with Russia because of the nerve agent attack, and the vids of the English fans in Holland I imagine the 'Ultras' are going to be toning their biceps and plotting their attacks!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I agree about the drinking, but that has been a problem for years, not just with football fans. The English just cannot behave when they have drunk too much, or more that they don't know when they have had too much drink. Maybe they need educating.
Ha I'm Northern Irish, I'm not gonna say I don't on occasion have a few too many, not so much now I'm married with kids but when I was younger sure. What I never done though was act like a twat in a harmful or threatening way. It will take more than education, in the UK more than anywhere else I have been in Europe the dangers of alcohol are shoved in our faces to no real improvement of the situation.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Well, this is teeing up nicely for the world cup. What with the disintegration of British relations with Russia because of the nerve agent attack, and the vids of the English fans in Holland I imagine the 'Ultras' are going to be toning their biceps and plotting their attacks!
Honestly think it will be a complete shitstorm and that's not even mentioning the problems of racism in Russia. Could be worse I guess, the Italians could be there with there section of anti semitic fans.

DomesticTadpole

Ha I'm Northern Irish, I'm not gonna say I don't on occasion have a few too many, not so much now I'm married with kids but when I was younger sure. What I never done though was act like a twat in a harmful or threatening way. It will take more than education, in the UK more than anywhere else I have been in Europe the dangers of alcohol are shoved in our faces to no real improvement of the situation.
They keep harping on about footballers being role models. Well I bet some of this lot have somehow managed to become parents, probably needed written directions, yet they cannot seem to grow up, that with age you really should be setting an example. We have all been worse for wear at some time, but as you say it is how you behave after that.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Look out, England fans in Wussia:

Classical Mechanic

Supposedly the generation coming up drink a lot less now, they are even dubbed as 'generation sensible'. I hope that going forward the drinking culture does change.

DomesticTadpole

Supposedly the generation coming up drink a lot less now, they are even dubbed as 'generation sensible'. I hope that going forward the drinking culture does change.
That could be the case, as some of these seemed older. Just wait until next time they ask the missus if it's Ok to go for a weekend away with the lads. :lol:

JohnnyKills

I think it’s fair to say that if English fans get attacked in Russia, it would be more likely due to their bad behavior, and not because they were targeted in particular. I don’t expect many here to agree with me. Most people like to deny the truth.

I feel sorry for the innocent English fans who simply travel to watch and enjoy the game. It hurts to know that they might end up getting caught up in unfortunate events due to no fault of theirs.
That's not the truth though is it?

JohnnyKills

I find it weird the way some England fans behave abroad. Domestically there is limited hooliganism compared to yesteryear however when you get groups of fans from all the different divisions together they seem to behave like utter animals when overseas.
Without generalising too much, a lot of these fans follow lower-division clubs in England. They've been left behind by the PL revolution and they yearn for the old days, before Sky TV et al.

England matches provide a way for these fans to come together, jump into the time warp and relive the 'good old days.'

JohnnyKills

England away games, especially to places like Amsterdam, are mainly attended by fans from lower league clubs who never get those big european away days with their club. They get over there and it's all brand new for them, they are part of massive mob of fans who inevitably drink too much and they feel untouchable and behave like animals.

On a side note I will add there is trouble every time an English team goes to Amsterdam. United, City and Chelsea have all had trouble over the past few years and from first hand experience I can tell you it isn't always the English fans who are to blame.
This

Hughie77

This was a friendly warm game for the world cup, can't see the Russians putting up with that kind of antics.. it' Giving the proper fans very bad names, in Russia every English fan will be treated the same with disrespect and that's not on.

Red00012

Kicking a football about in a square where someone can get hit in the head or until someone can either (a) break a window 10 floors up or (b) get it in a window doesn’t seem so bad now.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
You know I feel sorry for the dads that work hard to go to the world cup with their sons.
They will all be tarred with the same brush and its not fair.
I honestly think this world cup will see fans dying from violence and riots.

Shame on the animals.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Bunch of wankers who think They're Liam Gallagher so They don't need manners.
Childish behavior.

JohnnyKills

This.

They're the self-appointed guardians of a nation which no longer exists. The warrior caste of a right-wing fantasy island.

Have to say I've always been indifferent to England mainly because of the fans.

Bestietom

They won't act like that in Russia. The Russian Police will be well prepared and just waiting for a flare up.

Oyibo

Thing is this isn't different behaviour for these sort of fans, this is what they do at home on a night out. Simply identify them and ban them from future matches.
They most probably didnt go to the actual match

cyberman

The sad thing being we all know what happens when fans like these get confronted.
They stand off shouting nonsense to each other, pricks start throwing missiles from a distance away which pauses when they get charged and they start to run. Then the little planks walk slowly back with their missiles while giving it the mouth.
The proper fights happen with two firms meeting at a time and place. This nonsense ends up with the mouthy fans running away.