English & Irish Cricket Summer 2018

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
We lose another toss. Think we may have seen some slightly different games had we won at least one or two tosses.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Can we fecking win a toss?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I think we are using a loaded coin.

But would it just be better to just alternate in a 5 day series? So the home team “wins” the toss on the 1-3-5 tests and away on the 2-4. Keeps a bit of home advantage. Or just alternate than flip a coin for the 5th test or something.

KM

Indian team management is fecking awful.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

But would it just be better to just alternate in a 5 day series? So the home team “wins” the toss on the 1-3-5 tests and away on the 2-4. Keeps a bit of home advantage. Or just alternate than flip a coin for the 5th test or something.
Good chance there will be too much home advantage, like preparing the pitch to suit batting first for 1,3,5 and pitch that suits bowling first in tests 2 and 4.

JohnnyKills

The fact that England have won all five tosses is a bit of a joke. Feels like we've had a double advantage, given we've also got home conditions.

They should scrap the toss and give away sides the choice of batting or bowling. With so few sides winning away these days, it would be a good way to even up the score.

JohnnyKills

Nice idea but would be even worse than what we had now really Groundsmen would know exactly what the home side was doing in each game.

In county cricket they give away sides the option of bowling first, but I'd go further and give them the complete choice. It'd make it a much more even contest than the one we've got at the moment - home team controls the conditions, away team controls the order they're used in.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Good chance there will be too much home advantage, like preparing the pitch to suit batting first for 1,3,5 and pitch that suits bowling first in tests 2 and 4.
Nice idea but would be even worse than what we had now really Groundsmen would know exactly what the home side was doing in each game.

In county cricket they give away sides the option of bowling first, but I'd go further and give them the complete choice. It'd make it a much more even contest than the one we've got at the moment - home team controls the conditions, away team controls the order they're used in.
Yes you’re both of course right, totally forgot about the preparation issue. Back to the drawing board.

Djemba-Djemba

It should be difficult to win away, very difficult.

The problem is it's now looking almost impossible to win away, I agree something needs to be done to give the away side a little more.

JohnnyKills

It should be difficult to win away, very difficult.

The problem is it's now looking almost impossible to win away, I agree something needs to be done to give the away side a little more.
In the 90s they went through a period of tossing for the choice of ball. Perhaps they could give the away side the choice in future?

So if England went to Australia, they could at least choose to use the English ball and have some foothold that way.

Djemba-Djemba

In the 90s they went through a period of tossing for the choice of ball. Perhaps they could give the away side the choice in future?

So if England went to Australia, they could at least choose to use the English ball and have some foothold that way.
That's an interesting idea actually.

Could see that work.

JohnnyKills

Surely after what happened to Phil Hughes, any bang on the helmet should warrant a mandatory medical check?

KM

The English openers look very comfortable, considering that was the weaklink. This doesn't bode well for us.

JohnnyKills

On a side note, Olly Stone's just taken another 7 wickets for Warwickshire. Surely worth taking him on tour to Sri Lanka? The wickets will be flat and we'll need a bit of gas.

Djemba-Djemba

Going to keep him though aren't they? They've already got to fill one slot and there's no-one else.

Although he's not exactly been convincing this series.
Cook retiring has definitely saved him yeah.

You'd think he'd fare better on the slower spin friendly pitches in Sri Lanka, but if he's going to play shots like that round the corner straight to the fielder he's going to carry on failing.

KM

Cheers and yay! i work about 15 minutes walk from the Oval and my local is fecking rammed and I want to have lunch. Need them all to feck off back to the cricket.
Ffs I thought you were interested in cricket or something.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Ffs I thought you were interested in cricket or something.
:lol:No I want fish and chips and a glass of chablis.
I can take it or leave it tbh. With the right people and good weather it can be a nice day out of the office -get invites through work sometimes, so been to an Ashes match and various tests and 20/20 matches at both the Oval and Lords. The cricket more tends to be in the background though while we just get pissed.

Hephaestus

Massive lettoff for Cook there. Hopefully it will be like his debut and he'll get the century.

KM

Very nice gesture by us right now.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Ishant has improved tremendously since the last time he was here. The control hes displaying is quite rare and great to see.

KM

How the feck is Ali still batting?