English media thinly veiled racism

Talksport's Simon Jordan tends to have a very bad minded aura about him in general. I think it's only a matter of time before the mask slips.

Talksport's Simon Jordan tends to have a very bad minded aura about him in general. I think it's only a matter of time before the mask slips.

nah. multi-millionaire business owners are always the good guys.

I‘m in no way arguing against the broader point and the general criticism of the English tabloids. I know how vile, disgusting and racist they often are. But in this specific instance, I just don‘t see it. They just wanted to make the pun. Tabloid journalists love puns. It’s what they do. I find it difficult to criticise them based on this one.

No one said you said that. I said stopped short of. And what you're saying here is just short of it. Saka is one of the most high profile players in the squad, and I've explained the plane image. That image aside, he doesn't feature prominently AT ALL. Most players on by the end were subs, the statistical likelihood is that one would feature in some pictures and even despite this the overwhelming majority of pictures did NOT feature him or other subs. A small percentage of images used across platforms featured Saka, one of the most high profile players in the current squad. Its completely normal and expected,as is racism
So Lewis, Wright, Hamilton etc. just 'see skin colour everywhere', right? Nothing to do with the fact that their ountry has problems with racism? And I'm not doubling down on anything, because you (and others) make the mistake of thinking that just because some papers did not use his image, that somehow something has been 'proven' in your 'case against the terrible reverse racist black people in the UK that try to make everything about race.' I'm afraid that the problem is still there, though you choose not to see it.

What you gave was a poor explanation as to why Saka's image was used, but I'm glad you are at least acknowledging now that it was not just the paper plane one that appeared in the media. We're making some progress.

To explain the other image appearing on the websites, you've cobbled together some gaslighting explanation about 'high profiles' and 'statistical ĺikelihoòds'

You can equivocate as much as you like, the fact remains that Saka's image (both the plane one and the lying down one) was used more than that of any other single player in the media following that loss, and he played for a quarter of the game. He's also far from the highest profile player in the team, and some of those above him in that respect played the whole game. If you think that's OK, following on from the Euro 2020 furore, then that's you. I personally don't.

Strange
It's a mindset some people have, would this thread have as many posts if the picture was of a mixed race or Caucasian player ?
Of course not, it wouldn't get a mention.

Move on, 80 years ago, people of all races, creeds and colours were fighting and dying together for your freedom.
This is funny. You do realise that among those 'creeds and colours' were the colonial subjects of the British crown and the French empire? So they were already not free; in order to fight for their freedom, they'd would've had to fight against the British and the French. Which they did, prior to being colonised and also after the war, in a political way, to free themselves from empire. So I find it funny that you assume that the colonised among these 'creeds and colours' were all fighting for my freedom. They were fighting for someone's freedom, but it may not have been their own. Or mine.

However, I believe that is not the topic of this thread.

This is funny. You do realise that among those 'creeds and colours' were the colonial subjects of the British crown and the French empire? So they were already not free; in order to fight for their freedom, they'd would've had to fight against the British and the French. Which they did, prior to being colonised and also after the war, in a political way, to free themselves from empire. So I find it funny that you assume that the colonised among these 'creeds and colours' were all fighting for my freedom. They were fighting for someone's freedom, but it may not have been their own. Or mine.

However, I believe that is not the topic of this thread.
Yeah
The point I was making went straight over your head didn't it?

So Lewis, Wright, Hamilton etc. just 'see skin colour everywhere', right? Nothing to do with the fact that their ountry has problems with racism? And I'm not doubling down on anything, because you (and others) make the mistake of thinking that just because some papers did not use his image, that somehow something has been 'proven' in your 'case against the terrible reverse racist black people in the UK that try to make everything about race.' I'm afraid that the problem is still there, though you choose not to see it.

What you gave was a poor explanation as to why Saka's image was used, but I'm glad you are at least acknowledging now that it was not just the paper plane one that appeared in the media. We're making some progress.

To explain the other image appearing on the websites, you've cobbled together some gaslighting explanation about 'high profiles' and 'statistical ĺikelihoòds'

You can equivocate as much as you like, the fact remains that Saka's image (both the plane one and the lying down one) was used more than that of any other single player in the media following that loss, and he played for a quarter of the game. He's also far from the highest profile player in the team, and some of those above him in that respect played the whole game. If you think that's OK, following on from the Euro 2020 furore, then that's you. I personally don't.

aaand we're back to hysterics. 'Lewis Hamilton, Ian Wright, reverse racist black people' - you're arguing against an argumet you're making up I'm afraid. From here just refer back to any of my previous posts if you have anything you want to know , though I cant imagine any of those, or any other wasted typing will change anything. You're incapable of sticking to the issue being discussed and clearly hyper-heightened to a broader race discussion that means you see racism at every turn. I see in a post above you're talking about the French empire. Its a perfectly reasonable and well intentioned way to live, though I, and plenty of others, will not descend to a level of sensitivity that means a players picture being used is so triggering.

The explanation of why they used to plane picture might not be good, but sports journalism isnt always of great literary or artistic quality, and the plane and a pun was clearly too tempting for them given that the team was about to fly out for the euros, and it was the week of all the talk about who'd be on the plane. I'm not here to justify editors sense of humour.

Good luck tackling racism, we clearly have different approaches.

aaand we're back to hysterics. 'Lewis Hamilton, Ian Wright, reverse racist black people' - you're arguing against an argumet you're making up I'm afraid. From here just refer back to any of my previous posts if you have anything you want to know , though I cant imagine any of those, or any other wasted typing will change anything. You're incapable of sticking to the issue being discussed and clearly hyper-heightened to a broader race discussion that means you see racism at every turn. I see in a post above you're talking about the French empire. Its a perfectly reasonable and well intentioned way to live, though I, and plenty of others, will not descend to a level of sensitivity that means a players picture being used is so triggering.

The explanation of why they used to plane picture might not be good, but sports journalism isnt always of great literary or artistic quality, and the plane and a pun was clearly too tempting for them given that the team was about to fly out for the euros, and it was the week of all the talk about who'd be on the plane. I'm not here to justify editors sense of humour.

Good luck tackling racism, we clearly have different approaches.
@Kwabs obviously has a narrative he wants to push, any argument you present that shows rcsism to be percieved and not actual goes over his head or he chooses to ignore it

@Kwabs obviously has a narrative he wants to push, any argument you present that shows rcsism to be percieved and not actual goes over his head or he chooses to ignore it

i see one of his reference points, the journalist, in todays mirror saying that as an editor both images of saka that were used were striking images, and that the one with the plane was especially good. But I say so, and Im in denial to racism. In fact Lewis' entire justifcation for his tweet is that there are people who might be sensitive to it, rather than it being actually racist. I'm surprised by how poor his opinion piece is, it looks like a guy trying to justify an over reaction that led to plenty of colleagues being called racist.

i see one of his reference points, the journalist, in todays mirror saying that as an editor both images of saka that were used were striking images, and that the one with the plane was especially good. But I say so, and Im in denial to racism. In fact Lewis' entire justifcation for his tweet is that there are people who might be sensitive to it, rather than it being actually racist. I'm surprised by how poor his opinion piece is, it looks like a guy trying to justify an over reaction that led to plenty of colleagues being called racist.
If you look for racism anywhere you will find it.

If you look for racism anywhere you will find it.

it certainly exists in the game, from italy to spain to england, and is sometimes overt and every effort should be made to eradicate it. It wasn't here though, and this stuff undermines things and emboldens actual racists who can use the hysteria to undermine genuine accusations. This behaviour exists across society with all sorts of prejudices from gender to sexual orientation to 'class'.

I remember in the last Euros. Foden was the great hope but dropped after one game, and Harry Kane did nothing until the quarters, and as soon as he got his first goal, it was ‘Kane leading England to glory’ again. Meanwhile, Sterling was the one carrying the England team throughout with goals and assists.

I remember in the last Euros. Foden was the great hope but dropped after one game, and Harry Kane did nothing until the quarters, and as soon as he got his first goal, it was ‘Kane leading England to glory’ again. Meanwhile, Sterling was the one carrying the England team throughout with goals and assists.
Clutching at straws or what, and wrong, Luke haw was top of the England table of assists with three, Grealish had two, and several other player including Sterling were on one. Sterling scored three goals in the competition, Kane scored 4.
As far as I can remember Kane was injured for the first couple of games, so his tally may have been larger.
Also I seem to remember the media making a big thing out of Sterling, his sh!t didn't smell at the time.

The problem, on this topic is that we're all stuck between a rock and a hard place.
There's racism, then there's using racism to bait people into a reaction for clicks and attention.
We all have a responsibility to call out and condemn racist behaviours but at the same time, don't want to make it easy for dickheads to push our buttons by baiting us with anything that could be interpreted as racist.
To me, those newspapers aren't stupid, they know exactly what they're doing. Those headlines from Friday's game were using plausibly deniable racism to bait for a reaction and the truth is, they got it.

Last edited:
Like I said, it went over your head.
Sure it did. As did you arrogantly telling someone else to 'move on' from discussing racism. Something always said by people whom it doesn't actually affect.

How is it my reference point when you brought him up first, bud? I mentioned him in response to your post. Good to see again though that you are convinced that you know more about racism in the media and the sporting world than him. Or Wright. Or Hamilton. Or Kick it Out. Or the Black Footballers Partnership.....

Clutching at straws or what, and wrong, Luke haw was top of the England table of assists with three, Grealish had two, and several other player including Sterling were on one. Sterling scored three goals in the competition, Kane scored 4.
As far as I can remember Kane was injured for the first couple of games, so his tally may have been larger.
Also I seem to remember the media making a big thing out of Sterling, his sh!t didn't smell at the time.

You don't come across very well here. Kane played in every game in the groups and was shit. Sterling scored the 2 goals that won England two games and got them through the groups.

Kane didn't score until Germany (after Sterling had already scored) and then 2 against Ukraine and one penalty against Denmark before stinking the final up again.

You don't come across very well here. Kane played in every game in the groups and was shit. Sterling scored the 2 goals that won England two games and got them through the groups.

Kane didn't score until Germany (after Sterling had already scored) and then 2 against Ukraine and one penalty against Denmark before stinking the final up again.
One of the surprising things I have found is how little have been made about Sterling's fall from grace from an England squad perspective.
He was a top 2 key player in pretty much the last 3/4 tournaments for Southgate. Giving Southgate's propensity to stick with what he knows (until very recently), I find it so strange how suddenly he's dropped Sterling and even stranger than no one talks about it. Maybe the truth will eventually come out, we'll see. My suspicion is that they fell out and there's been a coordinated effort from the media to make it go away quietly.

One of the surprising things I have found is how little have been made about Sterling's fall from grace from an England squad perspective.
He was a top 2 key player in pretty much the last 3/4 tournaments for Southgate. Giving Southgate's propensity to stick with what he knows (until very recently), I find it so strange how suddenly he's dropped Sterling and even stranger than no one talks about it. Maybe the truth will eventually come out, we'll see. My suspicion is that they fell out and there's been a coordinated effort from the media to make it go away quietly.
It's not that surprising is it? He's been dog shit for a couple of years now.

Again more perceied nonsense, maybe it was just becaue of his drop in form for City or better players being bought, then his transfer to Chelsea where he hasn't exactly set the world alight.
No-one is talking about Grealish being dropped, but that's OK.

Black footballerss partnership ?
I'm assuming this excludes white footballers, racism in it's purest form.
I'll bet a pound to a penny that if a white footballers partnership was formed there would be an outcry
:lol:

I'll bet a pound to a penny that if a white footballers partnership was formed there would be an outcry
Whilst I agree this story is overblown nonsense generated by outrage farmers online, you are probably the worst advocate of this position and your posts are teeming with shit and ignorance. Grow up.

Whilst I agree this story is overblown nonsense generated by outrage farmers online, you are probably the worst advocate of this position and your posts are teeming with shit and ignorance. Grow up.
You don't understand irony then.
Put me on ignore, I won't care

Please stop.

Again more perceied nonsense, maybe it was just becaue of his drop in form for City or better players being bought, then his transfer to Chelsea where he hasn't exactly set the world alight.
No-one is talking about Grealish being dropped, but that's OK.
I'm just going to ignore you because clearly you either have full-on or partial comprehension issues.

I just don't really see it. Loads of the media are still bigging up Rashford despite how awful he's been. Harry Maguire has got tonnes of over the top abuse from the media etc.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist but 98% of what happens is nothing to do with race

It's not that surprising is it? He's been dog shit for a couple of years now.
Other players have gone through spells of poor form and Southgate stuck with them.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying this is a race issue. I just think they fell out and because the media favours Gareth, it's largely got brushed over.

Because you're making yourself look very stupid as you clearly don't understand the dynamics of certain situations.
I fully understand the dynamics and the undertones of this thread, and others like it, there is a narrative that I am not willing to follow, a narrative that only a few are willing to speak out against, so we get pilloried and ridiculed for it.
Yet others are allowed without repurcussion to bring Sterling into it, then it goes to Maguire
What's going to happen next, a player gets called out for having a bad game, and someone spots that he has ginger hair?

As I said in a previous post,
The only way to stop racism, is to stop talking about it. Morgan Freeman

I fully understand the dynamics and the undertones of this thread, and others like it, there is a narrative that I am not willing to follow, a narrative that only a few are willing to speak out against, so we get pilloried and ridiculed for it.
Yet others are allowed without repurcussion to bring Sterling into it, then it goes to Maguire
What's going to happen next, a player gets called out for having a bad game, and someone spots that he has ginger hair?

As I said in a previous post,
The only way to stop racism, is to stop talking about it. Morgan Freeman

No, you don't understand and you make that clear with every single post you make.