Enigma VS Downcast - NT Peak Draft

Who would win based on players rated for their listed tournament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enigma_87

You know who
Most of the ground will be well trodden in matches like this one. Very familiar players, very familiar configurations, etc.

Good thing to have new people coming in to comment, as the old timers probably can't be arsed - which is understandable.
I thought that international peak was interesting and commenting more on the actual performances, rather than the players themselves and their abilities. In all time draft and to regular drafters all of them are very familiar and in familiar configurations.

Going through tournaments, performances and judging their usual level in accordance to that is IMO key in a draft like this and why we get to see some new faces and themes like France/Sweden, etc.

Enigma_87

You know who
In that case, Downcast's midfield is getting too congested. Too many cooks in my opinion, which usually suits a counter-attacking opponent. Am I seeing it right?
I tried to make that point in previous pages I think. With Maldini and Amoros we have more natural width coming from the full backs where both Breitner and Andrade tuck in and go central while in possession.

While when they are defending I think both Boniek and Stoichkov will keep them honest and pull them wide, when they are attacking they are more inclined to tuck in.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I didn't get that dig tbh. :confused: He scored 4 and assisted 3 while being top three in terms of end product in the tournament only behind Zico and Rossi.
You should re-read my post because you haven't understood my post :)

Annahnomoss

In that case, Downcast's midfield is getting too congested. Too many cooks in my opinion, which usually suits a counter-attacking opponent. Am I seeing it right?
There is no rights and wrongs! Just opinions and that is a perfecty valid one.;)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I thought that international peak was interesting and commenting more on the actual performances, rather than the players themselves and their abilities. In all time draft and to regular drafters all of them are very familiar and in familiar configurations.

Going through tournaments, performances and judging their usual level in accordance to that is IMO key in a draft like this and why we get to see some new faces and themes like France/Sweden, etc.
Yes, fair point. For some players this will indeed be interesting. Others, though, are pretty much Prime X - and we know those players a little too well.

I found the Puskas discussion interesting, for instance, since it focused mainly on what he did in a particular tournament - rather than on how bloody good he undoubtedly was in general.

Enigma_87

You know who
Great game @Downcast ! It's always tough against your teams as you present your players excellently and you had plenty of nice pairs like Beckenbauer, Netzer, Breitner, Kopa, Fontaine and the likes!

Annahnomoss

Awesome game from both managers. Been great to read the thread, congrats Enigma!

Enigma_87

You know who
Awesome game from both managers. Been great to read the thread, congrats Enigma!
Cheers mate. Enjoyed creating this team so far and some food for thought for the next reinforcement round as I'm not sure of the approach just yet.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Great game @Downcast ! It's always tough against your teams as you present your players excellently and you had plenty of nice pairs like Beckenbauer, Netzer, Breitner, Kopa, Fontaine and the likes!
Thanks.

You made a great job and have great players. Congrats :)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What do you guys think about the wing with Henry vs Amoros and Breitner vs Boniek @Downcast , @Enigma_87 ? Battles on that wing should be key imo.

I've recently started posting in these draft threads and I don't know why more people don't ask about these fine details. The strong links are virtually a deadlock, it's the weak links that should matter more right?
Next step: you should participate in the next draft

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Nothing to do with that. I rarely remember to voters post match and never ever grudge vote.
I admit I always look at the identity of the voters. I can tell you there is one poster who systematically voted against my team in my last 7 games despite my 5 wins :wenger:

Fine. I thought you were upset by the post below because you voted very quickly (a few minutes after the start of the game)

Great game between the Pep Guadiola and Carlo Ancelotti.

As expressed in the previous game of Carlo, I would have built the team around Cruyff :drool:and tried to upgrade if possible players like Rensenbrink and Rep. However, I can understand he likes Seeler who is a great player. I'm happy to see players like Stiles and Collovati. Always refreshing to have a surprising Carlo :D

I've voted for Pep for his efforts, his story but above all his consistency: he chose players like Rijkaard and Voronin instead of big names in the name of his ideology. Moreover, despite appearances, he possesses some GOATs. For example, the Swedish Vieri (Nordahl) is an impressive player :drool: on the air and in terms of physical impact. The wingers, especially the great Hamrin, generally cut inside so I understand why it's necessary to have FB with a lot of freedom.

Despite appearances, the positioning of his players was relatively close to reality: Rijkaard 88 was a RCB who pushed forward.

So, I voted on the following assumptions:

1. Global strategy

2. Voronin goes forward

3. Rijkaard goes forward

Now, it's possible I have understood nothing :D
I would have loved something like that :drool:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I admit I always look at the identity of the voters. I can tell you there is one poster who systematically voted against my team in my last 7 games despite my 5 wins :wenger:

Fine. I thought you were upset by the post below because you voted very quickly (a few minutes after the start of the game)
Lol, @oneniltothearsenal recently made the same claim.... That I always vote against him. :lol:

Once a game is done, it's done. Grudges make for bad drafts..... Unless it's against @Skizzo, where it should be encouraged.

I'm not a fan of 2 CM midfield trio's (other than Xaviesta) per se and need a lot of convincing.

Annahnomoss

That happens to everybody. Nothing to take personal at all. It is just that people who have a similar view on the drafts will vote for each other because they build teams in a certain way. I don't remember who told me I always voted against them and I had never given it a thought. There is no hiding the fact that I like partnerships and themes a lot and if someone builds a team around that then it is something I'm very likely to vote for.

Enigma_87

You know who
That happens to everybody. Nothing to take personal at all. It is just that people who have a similar view on the drafts will vote for each other because they build teams in a certain way. I don't remember who told me I always voted against them and I had never given it a thought. There is no hiding the fact that I like partnerships and themes a lot and if someone builds a team around that then it is something I'm very likely to vote for.
yeah agreed, there are managers than usually vote against me, but they give their reasons in the thread, which is always appreciated, and usually there is because different views on set up, which is perfectly understandable and nothing to hold grudge for.

I always try to be fair as possible when I'm neutral and vote for the team I think will win, but sometimes(think rare cases of course) there are combos/favorite players that probably I overrate a bit, bit can't help it really because everyone has his own favs really.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I'm just curious and try to understand how people view the 'games'

If my goal was to win, I would have picked different players in this draft.

Now, I like when there is a lot of voters because it should mean the 'game' has caught the interest of a large number of people, which is the most important thing.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

If my goal was to win, I wouldn't have picked different players in this draft.

Now, I like when there is a lot of voters because it should mean the 'game' has caught the interest of a large number of people, which is the most important thing.
I think it's just a style thing and sometimes people like your theme and other times people don't get it.

I've loved your teams from other drafts and you're one of my favourite drafters tbh but I don't think I voted for you in this draft because I wasn't sure about some of the combinations of the players I.e. Henry Breitner or Netzer Kopa. I wouldn't take it personally but must admit am curious who you were thinking of haha.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah a surprising route to take but it was a home run. Suddenly more parts of the team really came alive apart from the Kopa/Fontaine angle. Now that suddenly looks at least as intriguing as Kopa/Fontaine thing. I was expecting him to pick up Platini and use him instead of Netzer just for the French themes sake but this was way better.
Aye, I've got to admit that my initial reaction to his reinforcements was 'what the feck is he doing' (mainly because I thought Blanc was a shoo in for the later stages of this draft), but it turned out brilliantly. I ended up sitting out the voting here as I started overhinking it and then couldn't make up my mind. Its been a recurring thing for me this draft, so from here on I think I'll just go with my instinct and vote a bit earlier.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I think it's just a style thing and sometimes people like your theme and other times people don't get it.
Yeah, the way I see it is a game is the choice between 2 stories

I've loved your teams from other drafts and you're one of my favourite drafters tbh but I don't think I voted for you in this draft because I wasn't sure about some of the combinations of the players I.e. Henry Breitner or Netzer Kopa. I wouldn't take it personally but must admit am curious who you were thinking of haha.

Please don't worry, I no longer take these draft personally or seriously !

Do you mean you want to know the poster to whom I was referring?

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

Lol, @oneniltothearsenal recently made the same claim.... That I always vote against him. :lol:

Once a game is done, it's done. Grudges make for bad drafts..... Unless it's against @Skizzo, where it should be encouraged.

I'm not a fan of 2 CM midfield trio's (other than Xaviesta) per se and need a lot of convincing.
I can vouch for you. No matter how much I've gone out of my way to antagonise you, you always be fair in the voting :D.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

If my goal was to win, I would have picked different players in this draft.
When I was new to drafts, I had this overwhelming urge to build a winning team. Lot of heated discussions, spamming match threads etc. But since I've settled down to building something that makes me enjoy and winning has become a secondary priority. I still play to win, but only within the parameters I chose for myself for the draft. More relaxed and fund and losing, doesn't affect you that badly.

Annah :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Annahnomoss

When I was new to drafts, I had this overwhelming urge to build a winning team. Lot of heated discussions, spamming match threads etc. But since I've settled down to building something that makes me enjoy and winning has become a secondary priority. I still play to win, but only within the parameters I chose for myself for the draft. More relaxed and fund and losing, doesn't affect you that badly.

Annah :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I'm not proud of my World Cup draft winning team either, had the same sort of start. Guess everybody does. :D

Skizzo

I've begrudgingly given you a vote in quite a few matches I believe. Can't even blame it on alcohol.

One of these upcoming drafts @Pat_Mustard and I will have to get the band back together and give you a royal hiding that you're long overdue for ;)

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

I would have loved something like that :drool:

That's not Beckenbauer 66.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He did, but he operated as an extremely mobile central midfielder who contributed a great deal offensively - whereas he looks more like a pure DM/holder in the illustration above.

He spent the final shadowing Charlton, but other than that '66 Beckenbauer was an all-action, b2b type. More suited to the Neeskens role (in the same formation/illustration), in fact.

Pat_Mustard

I've begrudgingly given you a vote in quite a few matches I believe. Can't even blame it on alcohol.

One of these upcoming drafts @Pat_Mustard and I will have to get the band back together and give you a royal hiding that you're long overdue for ;)
:lol: Aye, it's long overdue. What's the running total? 5-0 to us I think? :angel:

:lol: From what I know only you and @Chesterlestreet appreciate the value of good alcohol induced drafting...kindred spirits! Viva la Alcohol!
I've definitely been boozing during most of my best match thread performances

I also woke up one Sunday morning during the Eastern Europe draft to discover I had Czibor and Sarosi in my team, so drunk picking can work out quite well too :D

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He did, but he operated as an extremely mobile central midfielder who contributed a great deal offensively - whereas he looks more like a pure DM/holder in the illustration above.

He spent the final shadowing Charlton, but other than that '66 Beckenbauer was an all-action, b2b type. More suited to the Neeskens role (in the same formation/illustration), in fact.
Thanks for the info.

So, it confirms a midfield davids-beckenbauer 66-neeskens would be great :drool:

Pat_Mustard

@Joga Bonito I've seen the videos of Netzer but still not clear on his best positions. Like Scholes, would he shine in a 4231.

............ #10..........
.... Netzer.... DM.....

How about a Pirlo'esque role?

Or is his best fit in a midfield trio in 433 similar to Xaviesta with a DM behind?
I've only had him once I think but I've always fancied picking him again, probably in a Pirlo-ish starting position but with the more dynamic role that reflects his playing style. So something like:

Able to start moves from deep but with complete licence to move up the pitch, and flanked by two mobile box to box types who can drop in to cover when he's upfield.

EDIT: That should be Davids in the LCM position. fecking sharemytactics!