Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

Although Fernandez started and starred for Argentina's team as they beat France in the World Cup final, while Camavinga was on the France bench.

Genuine question for everyone out there - who, if anyone, seems a better prospect in central midfield out there right now than Fernandez?

Even more so, are there any top drawer young CMs who aren't yet already at a big club that won't sell a la Barca or Real?

One mentioned might be Caicedo, though Fernandez currently seems a better prospect than him. Are there any other possibilities a bit younger e.g. just making their debuts?

If Chelsea get Enzo and Barca won't sell FDJ, who can Utd get to replace /support Eriksen or Casemiro in the next season or two? And please not Rice.
Nobody on this forum had heard of Enzo Fernandez two or three years ago. In two or 3 years there will be another highly rated crop of midfielders all the top clubs will be chasing. That's the thing with football, the talent doesn't stop coming. Assembling some of it under a manager who can knit it together into a winning team is the hard part.

Unless one of these guys becomes the midfield version of Messi or Ronaldo then I'm not sure it's worth getting that upset about missing out on them. We're going to miss out on a lot of no young players that'll turn good, but we'll sign plenty too.

Hopefully for a lot less than £100m...there's no way that can be good, long term.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Crazy money but this is one where he's a top, top talent unfortunately IMO. Wonder how big they go in future windows. Hope it all crashes spectacularly

BerryBerryShrew

Why is he so keen to go there? Don’t get it at all. Small club with no wide exposure. Go to a real club in the summer and be an actual star.
Where though? If we consider ourselves, Liverpool, Arsenal, Barca, Real, and Bayern to be the only viable (ie. no impoverished Italian giants) "proper" (ie. no oil) big clubs:
  • Real are stacked in midfield
  • Barca are a financial basket case and they have other quality young midfielders anyway
  • Liverpool are collapsing and need an overhaul; they can't spend €120m on one player
  • Arsenal are having their first good season in decades
  • Bayern have a strong midfield that he would struggle to break into
  • We have limited transfer funds which we will presumably be using to prioritise a CF and even if we have enough left over for a midfielder, we have a manager who has a raging hard on for FdJ.
In addition to the above, Bellingham will be available for a similar fee as Enzo in the summer and all of the above clubs would take him over Fernández.

I can see why he'd sign with Chelsea tbh.

The Purley King

What is Chelsea's spending at now? Since Boehly came in? They have a couple of players coming in the summer as well haven't they?
This is genuinely insane, but in a weird way, quite addictive to watch!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Their spending is just ridiculous. I don’t care if they’ve got around FFP. It’s just a joke.
They're spending now and hurting their future ability to spend, but also they have sold incredibly well in past years.... and at the same time will be a bit fecked with FFP if they don't start making the CL regularly. This year is gone pretty much, but things start to get dicey if they don't figure it out next season as well I think.

romufc

Nobody on this forum had heard of Enzo Fernandez two or three years ago. In two or 3 years there will be another highly rated crop of midfielders all the top clubs will be chasing. That's the thing with football, the talent doesn't stop coming. Assembling some of it under a manager who can knit it together into a winning team is the hard part.

Unless one of these guys becomes the midfield version of Messi or Ronaldo then I'm not sure it's worth getting that upset about missing out on them. We're going to miss out on a lot of no young players that'll turn good, but we'll sign plenty too.

Hopefully for a lot less than £100m...there's no way that can be good, long term.
This. I think in recent years its becoming a theme where there is a breakout player and he is the "one", recency bias, twitter clips and stats.

What you also learn is, there will be a new one coming through next year and the year after.

It wasn't long when De Ligt was dubbed the next big CB, captain, WC player.
Sancho, generational etc... - although he had a few good seasons
Rice was the next one but he didn't go and now you see 2 years later a lack of interest
Cammavinga was the next big thing.

Players get hyped up too quickly after a few months of form, then they supposedly become the answer to every clubs issue.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Somebody said 700M including Nkunku in summer
If Transfermarkt is to be believed, we're at €628.5m on purchases (inclusive of Fernandez and Nkunku). Then €14m in loan fees for Felix and Zakaria, and then something like €50m in potential add-ons for Mudryk, Cucurella, Madueke, and Chukwuemeka.

footballbite

Bellingham might be the only option for Manchester United from those midfielders and that is not going to be easy. Although if Chelsea buy Enzo, would they still try and get Bellingham? It is Chelsea so they might... you would think it would be one less contender for Bellingham though.
Bellingham has already rejected Utd before.

Plus Utd's track record with buying players from Dortmund is truly abysmal. I'd be a bit wary tbh.

In addition to the above, Bellingham will be available for a similar fee as Enzo in the summer and all of the above clubs would take him over Fernández.
Would Utd though? Both for my two points above, plus Fernandez seems a bit more of a Ten Hag style player with his more careful use of the ball (and given he's already so fond of his Argentinian team-mate Martinez).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ah feck. I really like the look of him both technically and mentally. Chelsea and Arsenal are going for it this window and we are waiting for the Glazers to feck off.

amolbhatia50k

Where though? If we consider ourselves, Liverpool, Arsenal, Barca, Real, and Bayern to be the only viable (ie. no impoverished Italian giants) "proper" (ie. no oil) big clubs:
  • Real are stacked in midfield
  • Barca are a financial basket case and they have other quality young midfielders anyway
  • Liverpool are collapsing and need an overhaul; they can't spend €120m on one player
  • Arsenal are having their first good season in decades
  • Bayern have a strong midfield that he would struggle to break into
  • We have limited transfer funds which we will presumably be using to prioritise a CF and even if we have enough left over for a midfielder, we have a manager who has a raging hard on for FdJ.

I can see why he'd sign with Chelsea tbh.
Enzo looks more like what we need. Ditto Chelsea.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ah feck. I really like the look of him both technically and mentally. Chelsea and Arsenal are going for it this window and we are waiting for the Glazers to feck off.
Your new owners will go on their own spending spree in the summer just in time for the Bellingham sweepstakes. You'll be fine.

IFC 1905

Benfica deciding if they accept the offer or not. This time, Chelsea are closer. It will be defined in the next few hours.

amolbhatia50k

Your new owners will go on their own spending spree in the summer just in time for the Bellingham sweepstakes. You'll be fine.
Sure I guess. I do like Enzo a lot though. Was superb at the WC and a very complete skill set.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How can Chelsea spend all this money?
FFP relaxation due to COVID, making use of big length contracts to spread the fee across multiple years.

A new billionaire owner with cash to burn.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Why do you think Chelsea are a small club..do you really think that. Around the world they are a massive club,I would say.
Small time compared to Real, Barca, Utd and Liverpool. They do not move the needle like other clubs.

Lee565

It is easy to laugh at the craziness of Chelsea since boehly has taken over but damn I wish our american owners would have shown half of his ambition to be the best, even the supposed awful owners at arsenal are miles better than our lot, we really did draw the short straw with the greedy gits at our club

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
No one has ever spend so much in a so short time.
You know why?
Because we usually say that 4 new players (starters) in a team is the maximum that you can manage. Otherwise it can have the opposite effect you search.
Players need to understand each other, develop a partnership. It takes time. You cannot become close friend with 12 new people in one year. But you can with one or two new people each year.
They will fail because money cannot buy trust between people.

Idxomer

Sure I guess. I do like Enzo a lot though. Was superb at the WC and a very complete skill set.
He's potentially great but I wouldn't say he has a complete skill set. He can't dribble and looks a bit slow carrying the ball forward which are two essential aspects missing from our midfield.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Small time compared to Real, Barca, Utd and Liverpool. They do not move the needle like other clubs.
Chelsea has a huge following in the U.S. Boehly will look to make it even bigger. The U.S. market is really starting to blow up for Club Football. Perhaps domestically they do not have the history of some clubs, but that really does not matter much in the market they are looking to grow the brand. Clearlake is betting on the U.S. market in particular.

TheReligion

Abusive
Chelsea has a huge following in the U.S. Boehly will look to make it even bigger. The U.S. market is really starting to blow up for Club Football. Perhaps domestically they do not have the history of some clubs, but that really does not matter much in the market they are looking to grow the brand. Clearlake is betting on the U.S. market in particular.
No bigger than any of the top clubs.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Mudryk and possibly Enzo.

I hope Benfica decline so more clubs can be in for Enzo in the summer.

If its his buyout clause they can't really say no though.

Redfrog

he has played 1 season in a top European league. What's all this "best players in his position" predictions all about?
Didn’t he play 6 months ?

This Boehly guy is a joker. I am waiting to see if the « project » doesn’t work in a year or two how it will go.
I am not worried as there is nothing coherent about any of this.

RopersReturn

Oh man £105m, it’s an obscene amount to shell out for someone who’ll probably just be used as a squad player. Boehly’s seriously lost the plot.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Didn’t he play 6 months ?

This Boehly guy is a joker. I am waiting to see if the « project » doesn’t work in a year or two how it will go.
I am not worried as there is nothing coherent about any of this.
He is but the spending he's doing will be across the board they'll be a top club they've bought top players they just need coaching and time imo.

Surely they're hitting the cap of what they can spend now though.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
They are considered a top club in the U.S. I would say that is debatable in the England and parts of Europe.
If Chelsea aren't considered a top club in England or Europe now then they never will be

Status
Not open for further replies.