Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara Charles

For the love of pickled beets
I think the issue with the 8 year contracts is the losses that will be incurred in 3 or 4 years time when you want to get rid of a flop.

An example would be Pulisic. Bought for £60m on a 5 year deal. After 4 years he’s not set the world alight and its time to let him move on and bring fresh blood in.

His amortised value on the books is £12m so. Selling him for £20m books an £8m profit for FFP.

On an 8 year deal, his amortised value is £30m so selling him for £20m is a £10m loss. Not a huge problem on one player, but soon adds up if done repeatedly.

The problem would then be compounded by the new FFP rules which puts a cap on transfers/wages/amortisation at 70% of revenues. You don’t want to sell players at a loss but keeping them on the books at a slower rate of amortisation limits spending on new signings.

So yeah you’ve halved your amortised payments but you’ve also slowed the speed at which it becomes profitable to sell anyone that doesnt work out. If chelsea had a better hit rate in terms of successful signings vs failures or if they just bought a few players then its not a huge concern. But doing this for this many signings in such a short space when you could argue the summer signings have already flopped rings some alarm bells.
Excellent analysis.

LM7

Supports
chelsea
I think they've brought forward some of their summer plans in order to spread the cost over the ridiculous contract lengths before UEFA's FFP rule changes state that fees must be paid within 5 years. Mudryk's £100m fee is being amortised across the 9 year contract.
It's 62 million pounds excluding bonuses. If you add all bonuses, it will be 88 million pounds.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think the issue with the 8 year contracts is the losses that will be incurred in 3 or 4 years time when you want to get rid of a flop.

An example would be Pulisic. Bought for £60m on a 5 year deal. After 4 years he’s not set the world alight and its time to let him move on and bring fresh blood in.

His amortised value on the books is £12m so. Selling him for £20m books an £8m profit for FFP.

On an 8 year deal, his amortised value is £30m so selling him for £20m is a £10m loss. Not a huge problem on one player, but soon adds up if done repeatedly.

The problem would then be compounded by the new FFP rules which puts a cap on transfers/wages/amortisation at 70% of revenues. You don’t want to sell players at a loss but keeping them on the books at a slower rate of amortisation limits spending on new signings.

So yeah you’ve halved your amortised payments but you’ve also slowed the speed at which it becomes profitable to sell anyone that doesnt work out. If chelsea had a better hit rate in terms of successful signings vs failures or if they just bought a few players then its not a huge concern. But doing this for this many signings in such a short space when you could argue the summer signings have already flopped rings some alarm bells.
How many signings have been given more than 6 year deals. Everyone we signed last summer were on the usual 5 year deals, some 6. Koulibaly on 4 years I think.

That leaves Mudryk, Madueke, Gusto, Badiashile that have been signed for significant fees (though the latter two were quite modest fees considering) and potentially Enzo now. That’s 5 players. Hardly a crazy number of players. Your post made it seem like every fecker coming through the door under this ownership is on an 8 year deal.

C'est Moi Cantona

I've said it before, but the United forum has almost three times as many post as the Chelsea forum about a player we're not even buying!

They're either spoilt, don't really care, or there isn't that many of them. If we were getting him then this thread would be at least five times the size by now.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I've said it before, but the United forum has almost three times as many post as the Chelsea forum about a player we're not even buying!

They're either spoilt, don't really care, or there isn't that many of them. If we were getting him then this thread would be at least five times the size by now.
They have no fans mate.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

RedCafe probably has 100 times the traffic as the ShedEnd, if that's the one you're referring to, which is probably why.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

It's almost as though Man United have a lot more fans and this website has more than 10X as many active users.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's almost as though Man United have a lot more fans and this website has more than 10X as many active users.
I am personally surprised that even when you are about to smash the British transfer record, for a player most teams would kill to get, you can barely muster a 1000 posts on what i assume is the main Chelsea fan forum.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I am personally surprised that even when you are about to smash the British transfer record, for a player most teams would kill to get, you can barely muster a 1000 posts on what i assume is the main Chelsea fan forum.
Chelsea fans are too smart to waste their time on an internet forum.

:nervous:

mu4c_20le

Crap forums or not, it feels like your biggest ones aren't even as active as the spurs arse ones. Not having a dig but genuinely disappointed

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
There is no main chelsea forum. I post on a small one. It seems a lot of Chelsea fans post on Twitter and I belong to a couple twitter groups that we can share tweets and discuss Chelsea without it going out to the general twitter community.

C'est Moi Cantona

There is no main chelsea forum. I post on a small one. It seems a lot of Chelsea fans post on Twitter and I belong to a couple twitter groups that we can share tweets and discuss Chelsea without it going out to the general twitter community.
What's 'The Shed End' then? Genuine question.

galcianuk

Most Chelsea fans I know use Reddit and Twitter. Not this old school forum malarkey.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Why are these players attracted to Chelsea so much? When we were in a shitty position and out of the CL with a poor manager, we struggled to sign players more often than not.
Not really. Most of our high-profile signings occurred when we were out of CL. Di Maria, Falcao, Shaw (was highly regarded talent at that time), Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Fernandes, Casemiro, Antony... Lack of CL football can be issue if you miss it out regularly for about 4 or 5 seasons, but it won't be a problem otherwise because the player will think it will be just for a season and naturally they will be drawn to the money. And not only his own. Same as people around here question Chelsea's will to spend 120 million on him, Enzo will be impressed with their desire to fork such amount on him. Lastly, Chelsea do have CL this season and are in Round 16 having won CL just 2 seasons ago. That doesn't look bad at all.

Mind you, I do think Enzo could get even more attractive propositions in the summer (and would be better placed to negotiate), but if no one is is talking to him atm his willingness to sign for Chelsea is understandable.
The players are a bit thick also, just 20 days ago he pulled "am staying" kind of celebration banging with his hand on Benfica crest only to not show up for training today. That's just a side note here and something slightly annoying to me personally. If there is a potential transfer they would all be better if they just shut the feck up.

Kovacic, anyone?
Hear, hear. His contract is up in 2024 (apparently he didn't want to sign a new deal before WC and there is no sign of a new contract). So, with only a year left we could probably get him on pretty reasonable money. If we can't get de Jong, Kovacic would be such a good cheaper option to go for. It is not only about Kovacic individual quality, it is more about how good he fits along with Casemiro being that press resistant and ball carrying midfielder we need in the team.
We should be a bit shrewder in the transfer market and this kind of madness from Chelsea could open up possibilities like this one. And we also need to build around Casemiro now and use him while he is in his peak years.

The Purley King

Not really. Most of our high-profile signings occurred when we were out of CL. Di Maria, Falcao, Shaw (was highly regarded talent at that time), Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Fernandes, Casemiro, Antony... Lack of CL football can be issue if you miss it out regularly for about 4 or 5 seasons, but it won't be a problem otherwise because the player will think it will be just for a season and naturally they will be drawn to the money. And not only his own. Same as people around here question Chelsea's will to spend 120 million on him, Enzo will be impressed with their desire to fork such amount on him. Lastly, Chelsea do have CL this season and are in Round 16 having won CL just 2 seasons ago. That doesn't look bad at all.

Mind you, I do think Enzo could get even more attractive propositions in the summer (and would be better placed to negotiate), but if no one is is talking to him atm his willingness to sign for Chelsea is understandable.
The players are a bit thick also, just 20 days ago he pulled "am staying" kind of celebration banging with his hand on Benfica crest only to not show up for training today. That's just a side note here and something slightly annoying to me personally. If there is a potential transfer they would all be better if they just shut the feck up.

Hear, hear. His contract is up in 2024 (apparently he didn't want to sign a new deal before WC and there is no sign of a new contract). So, with only a year left we could probably get him on pretty reasonable money. If we can't get de Jong, Kovacic would be such a good cheaper option to go for. It is not only about Kovacic individual quality, it is more about how good he fits along with Casemiro being that press resistant and ball carrying midfielder we need in the team.
We should be a bit shrewder in the transfer market and this kind of madness from Chelsea could open up possibilities like this one. And we also need to build around Casemiro now and use him while he is in his peak years.
I’d take kovacic for sure.
Chelsea will have to ditch some player shortly and he’d be top of my list.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I’d take kovacic for sure.
Chelsea will have to ditch some player shortly and he’d be top of my list.
He'd be a great fit for you especially next to Casemiro but he's also pretty clearly the best and most natural partner for Enzo in our squad (assuming Kante remains crocked).

I'd be surprised if we moved him on - the plan presumably is to transition from him to Andrey Santos and/or Casadei but that'll take at minimum 2-3 seasons in all likelihood.

Redfrog

He is but the spending he's doing will be across the board they'll be a top club they've bought top players they just need coaching and time imo.

Surely they're hitting the cap of what they can spend now though.
We should be the proof that it’s not a given. Time is nice but only if the coaching is any good.
By the way they bought a lot of young players at a very high cost. There will be a lot of pressure to perform. If they keep Potter no matter what it can become very ugly.

Redfrog

Everyone’s so focused on the “they might flop” scenario. The same can be applied to a player on a 5 year contract. The same could be applied to a World Class player on a 3 year contract. It’s so simplistic to look at that 1 aspect and say it’s bad.

A 300,000 p/w contract for 3 years is £46,800,000

A £200,000 p/w contract for 3 years is £31,200,000.

A £80,000 p/w contract over 8 years is £33,280,000.

No bonuses included (providing they’re flops). Base contract for a World Class player is more lucrative than a young player on a 8 year contract.
So you are saying that a WC player can flop as much as a young player. It can happen but it’s very unlikely, much more unlikely than a young player floping, otherwise he won’t be a WC player.
So it’s only normal to pay big fees for WC players as they are almost a sure thing.

In conclusion you are speaking nonsense.

Jim Beam

He'd be a great fit for you especially next to Casemiro but he's also pretty clearly the best and most natural partner for Enzo in our squad (assuming Kante remains crocked).

I'd be surprised if we moved him on - the plan presumably is to transition from him to Andrey Santos and/or Casadei but that'll take at minimum 2-3 seasons in all likelihood.
Yeah, am also a bit doubtful Chelsea would move him on (and if they do, they will probably prefer its not to us). However, the fact that you are piling on players and he hasn't sign a contract is worth looking into imo. That's it, if new contract isn't signed by summer. Also, I don't see any harm in trying. Worse case scenario we make Chelsea offer him more money on the contract then they are willing to if we muddy the waters a bit.

De Jong is probably our primary transfer target for the summer (again) and I would be delighted if we could pull that one. But, it is still a very complicated transfer and we should definitely have some alternative options.

No serious links or reports, so all of this is my wishful thinking with us in a need of such player and his current contract situation in Chelsea.

Baneofthegame

How many signings have been given more than 6 year deals. Everyone we signed last summer were on the usual 5 year deals, some 6. Koulibaly on 4 years I think.

That leaves Mudryk, Madueke, Gusto, Badiashile that have been signed for significant fees (though the latter two were quite modest fees considering) and potentially Enzo now. That’s 5 players. Hardly a crazy number of players. Your post made it seem like every fecker coming through the door under this ownership is on an 8 year deal.
Players on 6 or above signed since summer:

Slonina (6)
Chukwuemeka (6)
W.Fofana (7)
Cucarella (6)
Madueke (7)
BB (7)
Mudryk (8)
Gusto (7)
D.Fofana (7)
Casadei (6)
Santos (7)

Aubameyang, KK are both 30 plus, Sterling probably wasn't going to get a 7 year deal at his age either. So I guess you could say half if you want to include the 6 years as normal.

Not that I know what's better either way, I just appreciated the other posters breakdown about length of contract and how it might affect a clubs future.

jesperjaap

Never liked CHelsea long before the oil money, only team Ive genuinely disliked with nothing to do with rivalry. But the current thing is a joke, sure I read they have spent more than the other major leagues combined or something. £600m and got around things with the installments.

But there whole ethos is if it isnt winning everything fix it, sack replace, sell replace. Cant argue they have singed a few top young players, woudl have loved Fofana, Gusto and Enzo Fernandes here, prices they are paying are ridiculous Cucurella£60m, ENzo Fernandes over £100m? They have made on paper a few great deals like hukuwumeka and Gusto....for the club...personally think two great young players are almsot throwing away good years moving there and Gallagher should have left last summer too.

So many good players wasting years there and in all honesty, no doubt will have missed a few but Kante and SIlva for me are the only true quality signings they have made in years that have lived up to expectations, soul less club

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, am also a bit doubtful Chelsea would move him on (and if they do, they will probably prefer its not to us). However, the fact that you are piling on players and he hasn't sign a contract is worth looking into imo. That's it, if new contract isn't signed by summer. Also, I don't see any harm in trying. Worse case scenario we make Chelsea offer him more money on the contract then they are willing to if we muddy the waters a bit.

De Jong is probably our primary transfer target for the summer (again) and I would be delighted if we could pull that one. But, it is still a very complicated transfer and we should definitely have some alternative options.

No serious links or reports, so all of this is my wishful thinking with us in a need of such player and his current contract situation in Chelsea.
Oh I completely agree mate - wasn't intending to rain on your parade or anything. Would be a very shrewd signing if you can pull it off; personally I think he's underrated because most of the time for us he's having to either babysit Jorginho or limit his ability to drive with the ball if he's playing next to Kante.

Genuinely can't believe we went an entire season with him splitting time with fecking Ross Barkley of all people. That he's been as good as he has for Chelsea despite being shoehorned into the side as much as he has is a testament to his quality.

mu4c_20le

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Players on 6 or above signed since summer:

Slonina (6)
Chukwuemeka (6)
W.Fofana (7)
Cucarella (6)
Madueke (7)
BB (7)
Mudryk (8)
Gusto (7)
D.Fofana (7)
Casadei (6)
Santos (7)

Aubameyang, KK are both 30 plus, Sterling probably wasn't going to get a 7 year deal at his age either. So I guess you could say half if you want to include the 6 years as normal.

Not that I know what's better either way, I just appreciated the other posters breakdown about length of contract and how it might affect a clubs future.
I omitted the 6 year deals because, well it’s just an extra year and lots of teams have 5 + 1 contracts and UEFA wouldn’t have cracked down on this if we were handing everyone 6 year deals.

It was a good breakdown, I enjoyed reading it but as I said the post made it seem like every player Boehly has signed is on a 8 year contract, when actually it’s just Mudryk and no one else.

I also omitted cheap punts like David Fofana and Santos because there’s no chance they’ll be difficult to shift if they end up being nothing players. They’re on very low wages and signed for £10m each. That leaves us with about 5 players on 7 or 8 year deals (I forgot the other Fofana earlier so thanks for that). Still hardly the disaster it’s been made to seem like if one or two of these don’t work out.

Baneofthegame

I omitted the 6 year deals because, well it’s just an extra year and lots of teams have 5 + 1 contracts and UEFA wouldn’t have cracked down on this if we were handing everyone 6 year deals.

It was a good breakdown, I enjoyed reading it but as I said the post made it seem like every player Boehly has signed is on a 8 year contract, when actually it’s just Mudryk and no one else.

I also omitted cheap punts like David Fofana and Santos because there’s no chance they’ll be difficult to shift if they end up being nothing players. They’re on very low wages and signed for £10m each. That leaves us with about 5 players on 7 or 8 year deals (I forgot the other Fofana earlier so thanks for that). Still hardly the disaster it’s been made to seem like if one or two of these don’t work out.
Like I said, I don't know if it's a disaster or not, was just interested in the general implications for teams going forward.

Jim Beam

Oh I completely agree mate - wasn't intending to rain on your parade or anything. Would be a very shrewd signing if you can pull it off; personally I think he's underrated because most of the time for us he's having to either babysit Jorginho or limit his ability to drive with the ball if he's playing next to Kante.

Genuinely can't believe we went an entire season with him splitting time with fecking Ross Barkley of all people. That he's been as good as he has for Chelsea despite being shoehorned into the side as much as he has is a testament to his quality.
Yep, all true. His ability to do everything on such a good level (defending, passing, ball carrying) has ironically impacted him a bit in his career. And it manifested in him trying to fill the holes in that Chelsea midfield which occurred when he was paired with either Jorginho or Kante. Both combos are lacking in balance and it still functioned on an extremely high level at times. I was actually impressed with the shape of the whole team at times under Tuchel. But, Kovacic's biggest strength was always breaking the lines/driving forward with the ball and that aspect was never used to full potential in Chelsea.

If Chelsea keep him, his potential partnership with Enzo will be interesting. There is a lot going on at your club atm and it is pretty hard to figure out how will you lined up next season.

Loon

:lol:
You do look at Potter with all these players coming in and think, "It's only a matter of time, son."

Status
Not open for further replies.