Eric Bailly | BBC say signing is imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

OohAahMartial

Duncan Castles is suggesting that he will be one of two defensive purchases, which surprises me as we had a very good defence last year. If this is true though, then maybe he is a new right back as some are suggesting, because we still need a ball playing CD to replace Blind. I'd rather two centre mids (eg. Pjanic and Gomes) - but it makes one wonder just how many players we are signing! Add Zlatan and a right winger, and you get 6 signings!

Devil may care

Duncan Castles is suggesting that he will be one of two defensive purchases, which surprises me as we had a very good defence last year. If this is true though, then maybe he is a new right back as some are suggesting, because we still need a ball playing CD to replace Blind. I'd rather two centre mids (eg. Pjanic and Gomes) - but it makes one wonder just how many players we are signing! Add Zlatan and a right winger, and you get 6 signings!
I think our defensive record was enhanced by how negatively we played and the fact we always fielded two DM's. Maybe Jose wants a more robust back 4 so he can play a more creative CM with a holding player like he did at Chelsea and Real.

3KDré

I think our defensive record was enhanced by how negatively we played and the fact we always fielded two DM's. Maybe Jose wants a more robust back 4 so he can play a more creative CM with a holding player like he did at Chelsea and Real.
And De Beast.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't recall much African footballers at United in the last 15 years... do you recall anyone?
The past has little to do with the present and future.
I'm sure nobody would turn down signing the players I listed because they'd miss a maximum of 6 games every two years.
And if Bailly is good enough, then we shouldn't turn him down either. That's the point.

LLMU

If he is identified by Mourinho, there is definitely something about Bailly that caught his eye. The Ivanovic MKII?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
35 posts and promoted. Nice one

SoCross

I've never watched him play. Can someone more educated compare him to an EPL defender - current/retired - playing style-wise, physical and technical aspects included?

WPMUFC

Sparky Rhiwabon

Did anyone actually mention this guy as a possible CB solution before we started being linked with him? Seems a fairly random sort of signing. Would he be first choice or just more reliable cover?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
But the media were making out all these other clubs were in the mix? Did they.....lieee? Wow, i'm stunned.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Id say Renato was LVGs call too, LVG thought he had a job up until the day after FA cup the poor old git.
Apparently not. It's been reported that this decision was made higher up in the knowledge that LVG was getting his cards.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Did anyone actually mention this guy as a possible CB solution before we started being linked with him? Seems a fairly random sort of signing. Would he be first choice or just more reliable cover?
I don't think many of us, if any.. reguarly watch Villarreal to give an insightful answer.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Nah I didn't see anyone on here point him out.
I did think he was very good when Villarreal played Liverpool, and on my FM game as Villarreal he stands out as their best defender - that's all the scouting knowledge I have on him, and youtube videos of course.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don't think many of us, if any.. reguarly watch Villarreal to give an insightful answer.
Nah I didn't see anyone on here point him out.
I did think he was very good when Villarreal played Liverpool, and on my FM game as Villarreal he stands out as their best defender - that's all the scouting knowledge I have on him, and youtube videos of course.
Just that after all the talk about players like Ramos, Laporte, Hummels, Varane, etc he would seem a bit underwhelming unless he's just coming in as cover / one for the future.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I follow Villarreal because of Caf Soccermanager (shameless plug) where I used to own Bailly, Marin and Castillejo. Watch them on Sky Sports when they're on.

Didn't think anyone would go for Bailly this season given he's only really had 2 seasons of top flight experience. Reminds me of the time we took Smalling quickly off Fulham before everyone else got interested. I guess it's a situation where he's probably not up to the standard of the players the Caf were mentioning (he still makes mistakes and very rash at times) but he's also got a high ceiling and he's improved significantly since I watched him last season. He's perfect for the PL though and a proper Jose player. Athletic, fast, young, strong in challenge and has a never say die type of attitude.

Revan

Assumptionman
Considering the price tag, I guess that he would be a first choice. If we sign however an another CB, who knows what will happen. Personally, I hope that we sign an another CB, send Jones and Rojo to Jupiter, and leave the 4CBs compete with each other.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Just that after all the talk about players like Ramos, Laporte, Hummels, Varane, etc he would seem a bit underwhelming unless he's just coming in as cover / one for the future.
Out of all the "in" players being listed by the Caf. The only obtainable one we could have gone for was Laporte imo. Marquinhos will be Barcelona bound (if he leaves), Hummels already at Bayern. Ramos won't leave Real, Real won't sell Varane. So who else is there?

Sparky Rhiwabon

I follow Villarreal because of Caf Soccermanager (shameless plug) where I used to own Bailly, Marin and Castillejo. Watch them on Sky Sports when they're on.

Didn't think anyone would go for Bailly this season given he's only really had 2 seasons of top flight experience. Reminds me of the time we took Smalling quickly off Fulham before everyone else got interested. I guess it's a situation where he's probably not up to the standard of the players the Caf were mentioning (he still makes mistakes and very rash at times) but he's also got a high ceiling and he's improved significantly since I watched him last season. He's perfect for the PL though and a proper Jose player. Athletic, fast, young, strong in challenge and has a never say die type of attitude.
Our Zouma!

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Sometimes the clubs ideology changes the way you play as a footballer.

For instance, playing in a Leicester squad, a Basque based club like Bilbao you are used to being a hard-working team unit.

Villareal let's not forget are 4th in the league after the trio of teams which you already know.

Strangely for Villareal they have a 9 goal difference this year, not great but it perhaps show as a team they have a really balanced style, we can assume at United he'd be better protected as a CB and he's the aggressive type it looks like, as Vida was (not saying he's in the same bracket though).

Revan

Assumptionman

From your description he looks like an another Mangala.

If someone can fix his concentration problems, then it is Jose. However, it would be risky playing him with Smalling (or Blind) considering that all have an error on them. Not even going to talk about the prospect of playing anyone with Rojo or Jones.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Tbh those are unattainable players, especially without CL.
I could be wrong but I don't think there was much evidence of us looking at Laporte, just seemed like a 'Caf wish.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Cheers RS. From the description, he sounds exactly like Fosu Mensah.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We did not have a good defence, we defended with our entire line up plus we kept the ball for 75% of the game so that the opposition could not get anything (neither did we but van Gaal loved it, see his post-game view on Swansea at home where he loved inept knocking the ball about performance from the first 45 minutes but attacking football in second gave him 'twitchy arse').

Martial_Law

Sometimes the clubs ideology changes the way you play as a footballer.

Strangely for Villareal they have a 9 goal difference this year, not great but it perhaps show as a team they have a really balanced style.
Pretty sure they had one of the best defenses in La Liga, something like 17 clean sheets (but that could be in all comps)? I could be wrong, but the only time these lot took a real battering was the second league of the Europa against the bin dippers, Bailly didnt play - i, like 90% of most hadn't heard of this chap so it would be pointless offering any insight to whether this is a good/bad acquisition. However if this is true, then i guess we have to roll with Jose's judgement and see what develops..

Reactions: jojojo

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Cheers RS. From the description, he sounds exactly like Fosu Mensah.
I haven't seen Fosu at CB yet so hard to judge the two tbf. Bailly when at his best is an absolute beast at CB though, he's had some terrific games and he's also had a few games where he's been lucky to still be on the pitch. Granted I've seen him play for Villarreal at most 10 times. He will quickly become a first teamer for us imo probably won't play every game, but can certainly see Jose using him like he did with Zouma.

Norris

Well it was the same with Vidic in some games. Rafael was similar as well. Think we could do with some muscle and grit in our backline. They get bullied too easily.
Rafael I don't think was really Red Card prone. He never made wild lunging tackles which gave the ref little choice . Vida's red's usually used to be pretty blatant as well. I agree we definitely need someone with some grit in defense and I would be glad to have him, just worried about his discipline. I mean, unless Mourinho brings in another CB or he gives the likes of TFM, Tuanzebe or Williams a chance, how many games can we expect a Smalling-Bailly partnership? Granted it sounds brilliant on paper though.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Rafael I don't think was really Red Card prone. He never made wild lunging tackles which gave the ref little choice . Vida's red's usually used to be pretty blatant as well. I agree we definitely need someone with some grit in defense and I would be glad to have him, just worried about his discipline. I mean, unless Mourinho brings in another CB or he gives the likes of TFM, Tuanzebe or Williams a chance, how many games can we expect a Smalling-Bailly partnership? Granted it sounds brilliant on paper though.
Rafael did make wild tackles when he first started out to be fair. You got to remember that Bailly has only really had a season and a half of consistent playing time. He wasn't used all that much at Espanyol.

I still think we'll bring in another CB and we'll probably use Tuanzebe/Williams as 5th choice.

Smalling, Bailly, ???, Jones (lol), Tuanzebe/Williams

Rojo and Blind both going probably.

Norris

Rafael did make wild tackles when he first started out to be fair. You got to remember that Bailly has only really had a season and a half of consistent playing time. He wasn't used all that much at Espanyol.

I still think we'll bring in another CB and we'll probably use Tuanzebe/Williams as 5th choice.

Smalling, Bailly, ???, Jones (lol), Tuanzebe/Williams

Rojo and Blind both going probably.
Squad's already pretty thin as it is, so I don't think both Rojo and Blind will leave atleast not for another year. He's more likely to keep Rojo I guess since physicality is a big part of Mourinho's style.

And Jones...(lol), he might as well start his coaching badges now! :D.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Squad's already pretty thin as it is, so I don't think both Rojo and Blind will leave atleast not for another year. He's more likely to keep Rojo I guess since physicality is a big part of Mourinho's style.

And Jones...(lol), he might as well start his coaching badges now! :D.
Perhaps he'll keep Rojo. Think theres been too many rumours about him leaving in the past few months, no smoke without fire and all that.

JohnyBuckets

Smalling, Bailly, Jones, TFM for the center back spots looks pretty thin... I would be surprised if Blind was sold; he is so versatile and can play CB, CM, LB. I know he doesnt have the physical attributes to be world class in the PL (especially under Mou) but he is the ideal squad player.

Reactions: Sultan

Coxy

None of those players are attainable.

Anyway on subject I signed him on FIFA ages ago - the guy is a beast! Let's hope for you that real world mirrors virtual reality ;)

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
If only he didn't play in buy out clause Spain. In addition to why would anyone up their own bid, whe there's no rival? So maybe not as obvious as you seem to think.
You do know that some of those clauses are set ridiculously high and players are routinely sold without reaching that figure yes? He was linked with other clubs so there could well be rivals, but if we're willing to give Villarreal 8 times the price they paid for Bailly 18 months ago, then I can't see anyone else being able to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.