Eric Bailly - English players were favoured

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Not Totally true. When Maquire was 30 % fit and Bailly 100 %, Ole picked Maquire
Yeah because he didn't trust Bailly. Both his successors also quickly decided they couldn't trust him.

Rolaholic

Yeah because he didn't trust Bailly. Both his successors also quickly decided they couldn't trust him.
Ten Hag wanted him to stay and played him all through preseason, he chose to leave.

He also commended ETH's character and believes he'll change that issue of favoritism

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ten Hag wanted him to stay and played him all through preseason, he chose to leave.

He also commended ETH's character and believes he'll change that issue of favoritism
I don’t think that’s accurate tbh. Ten Hag played him initially in pre-season, and he was very impressive, and then he never played him again.

stevoc

Bailly didn't start a game in pre-season and didn't a play minute once the season started. Now he's left the club and it's very unlikely he'll be back. So it's safe to say Ten Hag didn't see him as a big part of his plans and didn't trust him enough to build a defence around him.

redmanx

Stay fit and don't be a liability babe xx
Since when was Lindelof English? Sour grapes is what this is, Baily was unreliable, mostly unfit and a liability, thats why he didnt play too many matches.

redmanx

Bailly didn't start a game in pre-season and didn't a play minute once the season started. Now he's left the club and it's very unlikely he'll be back. So it's safe to say Ten Hag didn't see him as a big part of his plans and didn't trust him enough to build a defence around him.
"Bai eee!

liman

Yes probably. But between him and malacia, I think ETH might use him this season, depending on how we develop. ETH might back himself to improve Shaw. He has all the attributes to be the best in the league in my book.
Wonder what's your book is because in my book , Shaw is finished, he isn't going to get any younger , fitter , faster or smarter. The only thing he will be getting is body fat, even in his best season we conceded like +40 goals in the league, he remains defensively suspect due to lack of footballing IQ confirmed by Jose Mourinho. 190p/w benchwarmer is nonsense, no more chance should be given for him , we should look to sell him in January.

Last edited:

championo

Top Stalker
I knew Harry had issues but when seen like this, makes you wonder what we saw to buy him. He does not know how to do the job of defending.

Greck

His fitness issued have nothing to do with the validity of the statement. Not even shocked some have already been dropped from the first team under ETH. They were never undisputed starters by merit but we still treated them like a core. Rotation options at best. I support the british core idea, just not this one.

Footyislife

Both his successors were also unqualified for their jobs. Maguire after Greece incident had no business starting, but club was in denial.

OmarUnited4ever

Sadly, he is just bitter for not being given chances, and you can't blame managers who overlooked him, his multiple injuries didn't help him at all, but, he was never overlooked because he wasn't British/English, he was overlooked because he was not trusted, Ole preferred Maguire to him in that fateful game against Leicester, which shows that Bailly was not trusted over an injured and out of form Maguire.

One thing he is right about though is that there was a culture of no accountability before Ten Hag's arrival, players kept on being selected despite poor performance after poor performance, but now, it is obvious that big players are dropped, Ronaldo, Maguire & Shaw didn't start a game since that Brentford debacle, Fred was dropped too since then, McTominay was dropped against Brentford, Elanga was dropped against Arsenal, De Gea, Rashford, Bruno & Sancho survived despite their poor performances in the first 2 games purely due to lack of options, now players know that Ten Hag will drop them from the first eleven if they do not perform.

A-man

I think it was clear he was fifth choice. Most coaches show some kind of favouritism but in the case of Maguire it went far and beyond reason.

In the end it is kind of funny. Varane, Maguire, Martinez and Lindelof are playing EL and fifth choice Bailly is playing in the CL.

One thing he is right about though is that there was a culture of no accountability before Ten Hag's arrival, players kept on being selected despite poor performance after poor performance, but now, it is obvious that big players are dropped, Ronaldo, Maguire & Shaw didn't start a game since that Brentford debacle, Fred was dropped too since then, McTominay was dropped against Brentford, Elanga was dropped against Arsenal, De Gea, Rashford, Bruno & Sancho survived despite their poor performances in the first 2 games purely due to lack of options, now players know that Ten Hag will drop them from the first eleven if they do not perform.
We don’t know that yet. Could be that he is having other favourites, like his boys from Ajax. Time will tell.

OmarUnited4ever

I think it was clear he was fifth choice. Most coaches show some kind of favouritism but in the case of Maguire it went far and beyond reason.

In the end it is kind of funny. Varane, Maguire, Martinez and Lindelof are playing EL and fifth choice Bailly is playing in the CL.

We don’t know that yet. Could be that he is having other favourites, like his boys from Ajax. Time will tell.
His boys know him better, they know they have no choice but to perform, a club captain and a legend were dropped, his boys (Martinez & Antony) are nobodies, they know he can drop them anytime.

Once Martial is fit and Casemiro & Antony get into a rhythm and are used to PL, then the likes of Bruno, Sancho & Rashford will be also subject to dropping once their forms dip.

A-man

His boys know him better, they know they have no choice but to perform, a club captain and a legend were dropped, his boys (Martinez & Antony) are nobodies, they know he can drop them anytime.

Once Martial is fit and Casemiro & Antony get into a rhythm and are used to PL, then the likes of Bruno, Sancho & Rashford will be also subject to dropping once their forms dip.
I hope so, but I have almost never seen a manager who doesn't have his favourites. Sometimes I think it is just that the manager has a plan in his head, where a certain player is an important piece of the puzzle, and then the manager can't let go of that idea even though it clearly doesn't work out.

Dropping Ronaldo was probably a hard thing to do, although it should be said he lacked match fitness plus nobody knew if he would stay. And now after six games and not creating much from the CF position, maybe Ronaldo deserves a chance.

OmarUnited4ever

I hope so, but I have almost never seen a manager who doesn't have his favourites. Sometimes I think it is just that the manager has a plan in his head, where a certain player is an important piece of the puzzle, and then the manager can't let go of that idea even though it clearly doesn't work out.

Dropping Ronaldo was probably a hard thing to do, although it should be said he lacked match fitness plus nobody knew if he would stay. And now after six games and not creating much from the CF position, maybe Ronaldo deserves a chance.
of course it is normal for a manager to prefer a player over another for various reasons, from fitting into a tactical plan, to personality/attitude, etc..

But as of now, he is showing he is ready to drop anyone, which sends a message, we can't have players feeling they will be guaranteed to start no matter what, simple as that.

A-man

of course it is normal for a manager to prefer a player over another for various reasons, from fitting into a tactical plan, to personality/attitude, etc..

But as of now, he is showing he is ready to drop anyone, which sends a message, we can't have players feeling they will be guaranteed to start no matter what, simple as that.
Agree and also letting McT continue to play, despite Casemiro coming in, because he played really well, that sends the signal that performance is put first, not the name. I think the big test in this regard comes when one of his Ajax boys has a string of matches with poor performances.

Crashoutcassius

Wonder what's your book is because in my book , Shaw is finished, he isn't going to get any younger , fitter , faster or smarter. The only thing he will be getting is body fat, even in his best season we conceded like +40 goals in the league, he remains defensively suspect due to lack of footballing IQ confirmed by Jose Mourinho. 190p/w benchwarmer is nonsense, no more chance should be given for him , we should look to sell him in January.
If you think players can't be coached to improve because they aren't 20 years old, they can

chb23

Love Bailly, would play him over Maguire any day of the week.

He has mistakes galore in him but he's such a personality. An entertainer really.

Maguire is just comical - not in a good entertainer way....

studs

He is only saying what most of us new already.

whitbyviking

Maguire had a lot more credit built up than Bailly. Plus they seemed to be giving him a chance to play himself back into form, which is laudable if true.

Not clear how performances were in training either. Bailly could have been tossing it off, when/if he trained.

This “Disgruntled ex employee” seems a lot more common with the recent crop of our players vs those from the more successful times early PL.

stevoc

Both his successors were also unqualified for their jobs. Maguire after Greece incident had no business starting, but club was in denial.
Ten Hag is unqualified for his job. Interesting opinion.

stevoc

In fairness, Carrick was in charge for a couple of games. 100% win record.
Also in fairness though I obviously wasn't referring to Carrick as one of Solskjaer's successors.

I don't think 3 games is enough games to determine whether or not a manager trusts a particular player.

jackal&hyde

Don't agree with him. He had a massive issue with injuries and it's normal managers would lose trust of playing him and building a defensive partnership only to see him out for 2 months after 3 games. Maguire is mister available and that counts for a lot.

Who else is there? Shaw had no real competition until Malacia. Rashford was crap for 12-18 months but also a player capable of 20+ goals a season and with little competition. AWB was very good for a lower block defense as compared to Dalot but, as we've changed philosophies he is as good as gone.

United can be accused of a lot of things but a Brexit club it is not. Sure the media will look to protect the English players from criticism while going full force on the others but, that is not the club's doing.

Lyng

Interesting to hear Simon Jordans take here. I very rarely agree with him, but he is spot on here in my opinon. (The link will start at the point in the clip where they talk about the comments from Bailly)

wangyu

If what he says is true then it only reinforces the poor management we have. In Europe nobody ever really rates those English players, banking on them is setting us up for failure.
There are only 2 English players who play for the current best teams and those are Foden and TAA. Add to that Kane and that’s it. It’s a very poor return for the most football crazy country in the world ( no other country has more pro clubs and players than England)

jackal&hyde

Interesting to hear Simon Jordans take here. I very rarely agree with him, but he is spot on here in my opinon. (The link will start at the point in the clip where they talk about the comments from Bailly)

He's talking rubbish. Maguire played with Lindelof. So why not target him them? In that time United has sold Smalling and gave no feck about Tuanzebe. The issue that Bailly brings, of United having a fetish for English nationals, is wrong, has nothing to do with English players. Maybe Maguire has been given too much credit but, it's not because of nationality as Smalling, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, the signing of Varane and Martinez show. If Maguire had to much faith and special treatment it's because of the money spend on him, not his passport.

jackal&hyde

Thats exactly the point Simon made though
He said the player had a point and then changed it to something else to make it more reasonable. The point Bailly made was about nationality and that is wrong. "The club should avoid favoring English players and give every one a chance". That is wrong; the club is not favoring English players. That Maguire happens to be English is not important or a factor here; it was the price, not the passport.

EDIT: I agree that had Eric said Maguire being favored was a mistake is an issue but, he made it about nationalities and that is BS. Show up Maguire if that is the problem and I would agree but, making it about some sort of nationality bias is very wrong. Maguire is the issue, not the general attitude United has to English players versus other nationalities.

Lyng

He said the player had a point and then changed it to something else to make it more reasonable. The point Bailly made was about nationality and that is wrong. "The club should avoid favoring English players and give every one a chance". That is wrong; the club is not favoring English players. That Maguire happens to be English is not important or a factor here; it was the price, not the passport.
Jordan said that Bailly's point about nationality was silly but that he was clearly talking about Maguire and should have said that straight up. And that he agreed Maguire was played when he should have been on the bench, but that it had something to do with price instead of nationality. Thats the point Jordan made and he is spot on.

jackal&hyde

Jordan said that Bailly's point about nationality was silly but that he was clearly talking about Maguire and should have said that straight up. And that he agreed Maguire was played when he should have been on the bench, but that it had something to do with price instead of nationality. Thats the point Jordan made and he is spot on.
Yes but that is not what the player actually said... Eric made it about nationality and he is wrong. Jordan talks about a scenario that did not actually happen. A football player complains about xenophobia of a club based on passport; that player is fecking wrong. There was a problem with one specific player being played; not with a club being racist or some other dark forces.

Lyng

Yes but that is not what the player actually said... Eric made it about nationality and he is wrong. Jordan talks about a scenario that did not actually happen. A football player complains about xenophobia of a club based on passport; that player is fecking wrong. There was a problem with one specific player being played; not with a club being racist or some other dark forces.
Well Jordan said himself that it was silly?

Status
Not open for further replies.