Eric Cantona appreciation thread

I was thinking last night which foreign nationality of players outside of the rest of Britain and Ireland have had the most impact at the club and France must be number 1 for us almost because of Eric alone. Cantona transformed the club and I remember in 96 OT was full of French flags for his return against Liverpool. We've also had Patrice Evra, Martial, Louis Saha, Blanc, Bartez, Mikel Silvestre.
Yep. With Dutch and Portuguese also popular.

I was at the 3-3 game at Old Trafford v Galatasaray back in 93. We had a quality team even then, but we didn't have the top level european experience yet, our naivety that night was evident. Went 2 up then 3-2 down, Cantona actually scored our 3rd goal, but he barely touched the ball that game. Took us a while to adapt to the european game at that level. I know we'd won the euro cup winners cup 2 years prior to that, but this was a step up and it showed at times.

English clubs had to readapt to European conditions after the ban from 85-90. We had a generation of players who grew up without that two leg, away goals environment. To be honest, I think Fergie’s achievement in winning the ECWC in 1991 is underrated given how poorly English clubs performed until around 97.

The 3 foreigners rule too was especially tough on the English teams given the historical Welsh, Scots and Irish connections throughout the league. We regularly had to leave big players out of ties back then

Doing a big Cantona video and I swear he has one of the greatest collection of almost-scored goals :drool:
Sorry for the vertical video, it's made for YouTube shorts.

I remember exactly where I was the moment I heard the news, just finished a 34-mile race, on the Moors near Hebden Bridge, and sat having a pint with the guy I had just beaten, a Leeds supporter no less.
Saw it on the TV in the pub, I remember saying what a waste of £1.1 million, he said he was glad to see the back of him.

Maybe not the best, but certainly one of the most important signings ever for United, loved watching him play.

Easily among my all-time favourites in the last 57 years as a supporter

Probably the best £1.1 million United ever spent :D

Finished my video by the way. Sorry for the atrocious filters on a few episodes, they're done in order to avoid copyright.

Finished my video by the way. Sorry for the atrocious filters on a few episodes, they're done in order to avoid copyright.

Jeez forgot just how mesmerising he could be with the ball, a complete player one could say.

He would have easily been a ballon d'or level player in this day and age assuming his work rate scales up to today's game.

There was a journalist at the start of the euros talking about how a player like Jude Bellingham (Tall and great ball control)is sign of progress in football which couldn’t of happened in the 90’s.

Bellingham is 6’1 and Eric is 6’2.

My favourite player that has ever played for United, or ever will do.

It's hard to explain to people who weren't alive , Eric was the key to it at that moment in time . Hindsight makes it easy to think
that the first league win since 67 would've happened anyway .

All I know , is something changed when Eric rocked up , I'll be eternally grateful that he did .

There was a journalist at the start of the euros talking about how a player like Jude Bellingham (Tall and great ball control)is sign of progress in football which couldn’t of happened in the 90’s.

What a weird statement if true considering who Bellingham’s no5 predecessor at Real Madrid is.

Welled up watching that video absolutely idolise the man always remember the sheer emotion pouring out of Old Trafford 1st October 1995

And also did they never saw Zidane or what? (Same height as Jude)

And also did they never saw Zidane or what? (Same height as Jude)
What a weird statement if true considering who Bellingham’s no5 predecessor at Real Madrid is.
Yeah it was really strange comment. It was said on the totally football podcast which is normally pretty good.

Tbh I think there’s a type of nerdy journalist who wants to believe we are currently living in the peak era of football.
"It wasn't a goal, it was a pass". fecking love that movie
“I am not a man I am Cantona” is my favourite line.

Is it fair to say even now if you did a poll of ‘your favourite United player ever‘ with United fans across all age demographics, he’d still come out as number one?

He’s probably the next player to get a statue at Old Trafford. Ideally one of him puffing out the chest after scoring against Sunderland.

Last edited:
Is it fair to say even now if you did a poll of ‘your favourite United player ever‘ with United fans across all age demographics, he’d still come out as number one?

He’s probably the next player to get a statue at Old Trafford. Ideally one of him puffing out the chest after scoring against Sunderland.

I will advocate that strongly until I die. Granted I never witnessed the Holy Trinity, but noone is greater than Eric in my lifetime. And with how boring and generic football has become, I doubt anyone ever will.

Met him on the set of Looking for Eric. What a man.

"It wasn't a goal, it was a pass". fecking love that movie
“I am not a man I am Cantona” is my favourite line.

It has always really annoued me that in that scene, when they’re showing clips of his great goals as potential favourite moments, they very obviously show the wrong clip for the Wimbledon goal.

The script is patently talking about this one from the FA Cup in 94…

..but the film shows a rather bog standard and far less important goal he scored against them in the league opener of ‘97 (the Beckham halfway line game)

I mean jesus Ken, amateur stuff! Nearly ruins the whole film. I hope someone was fired for that

Last edited:
This dude is the reason I became a United fan. Him and United were meant for each other. The swagger, the confidence, the attitude... this dude was/is the king of cool. Great to see how much he still loves the club as well.

Le Roi.

Last edited: