Eric Cantona appreciation thread

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I was thinking last night which foreign nationality of players outside of the rest of Britain and Ireland have had the most impact at the club and France must be number 1 for us almost because of Eric alone. Cantona transformed the club and I remember in 96 OT was full of French flags for his return against Liverpool. We've also had Patrice Evra, Martial, Louis Saha, Blanc, Bartez, Mikel Silvestre.
Yep. With Dutch and Portuguese also popular.

MoskvaRed

I was at the 3-3 game at Old Trafford v Galatasaray back in 93. We had a quality team even then, but we didn't have the top level european experience yet, our naivety that night was evident. Went 2 up then 3-2 down, Cantona actually scored our 3rd goal, but he barely touched the ball that game. Took us a while to adapt to the european game at that level. I know we'd won the euro cup winners cup 2 years prior to that, but this was a step up and it showed at times.
English clubs had to readapt to European conditions after the ban from 85-90. We had a generation of players who grew up without that two leg, away goals environment. To be honest, I think Fergie’s achievement in winning the ECWC in 1991 is underrated given how poorly English clubs performed until around 97.

Red_Aaron

The 3 foreigners rule too was especially tough on the English teams given the historical Welsh, Scots and Irish connections throughout the league. We regularly had to leave big players out of ties back then

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Doing a big Cantona video and I swear he has one of the greatest collection of almost-scored goals :drool:
Sorry for the vertical video, it's made for YouTube shorts.

Red For Ever

I remember exactly where I was the moment I heard the news, just finished a 34-mile race, on the Moors near Hebden Bridge, and sat having a pint with the guy I had just beaten, a Leeds supporter no less.
Saw it on the TV in the pub, I remember saying what a waste of £1.1 million, he said he was glad to see the back of him.

Maybe not the best, but certainly one of the most important signings ever for United, loved watching him play.

Easily among my all-time favourites in the last 57 years as a supporter

Probably the best £1.1 million United ever spent :D

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Finished my video by the way. Sorry for the atrocious filters on a few episodes, they're done in order to avoid copyright.