Eric Dier runs into stand angrily confronting fan, has to be restrained

Robertd0803

Not in any way downplaying Cantona at Selhurst Park but in my mind the fact that Dier has the time to climb however many rows of seats to get to the fan is arguably worse.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not in any way downplaying Cantona at Selhurst Park but in my mind the fact that Dier has the time to climb however many rows of seats to get to the fan is arguably worse.
yep it certainly is a mitigating circumstance. The fact he’s had time, it’s not an instant reaction.

Robertd0803

You are downplaying Cantona and Dier was nowhere near the realms of being worse or even close :nono:
Yeah maybe a little bit re Cantona.

Diers is pretty fecking bad in fairness though.

The difference being Dier after his epic climb didnt physically attack the fan. Can you imagine the trouble he would be in if he threw a punch after having the time during the climb to think "this may not be a good idea". He probably would have been arrested for premeditated assault.

yep it certainly is a mitigating circumstance. The fact he’s had time, it’s not an instant reaction.
Yup.
Why is this random event bumped? ...
The FA charged him a few days ago so it prompts the discussion.

Yeah but you have to offset that with the fact Cantona was the face of Manchester United. He was always going to be made an example of.

The difference being Dier after his epic climb didnt physically attack the fan. Can you imagine the trouble he would be in if he threw a punch after having the time during the climb to think "this may not be a good idea".
On a video I saw it looks like he swung for someone. Being shit and missing is not an excuse.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
On a video I saw it looks like he swung for someone. Being shit and missing is not an excuse.
There’s multiple physical altercations involved with different people. How much of anything regarding his brother could he have known ? I really don’t get the acceptance of that line, unless it was known that his brother had received treatment afterwards, that I’m unaware of? What did he see that could possibly have sparked such a reaction that it would be acceptable for all footballers to do that on a regular basis. If his brother was being physically beaten perhaps fair enough, but a bit of an argument and handbags and it’s ok for players to jump in the crowd.

There’s multiple physical altercations involved with different people. How much of anything regarding his brother could he have known ? I really don’t get the acceptance of that line, unless it was known that his brother had received treatment afterwards, that I’m unaware of? What did he see that could possibly have sparked such a reaction that it would be acceptable for all footballers to do that on a regular basis. If his brother was being physically beaten perhaps fair enough, but a bit of an argument and handbags and it’s ok for players to jump in the crowd.
I dont believe for a second he was genuinely able to hear something about his brother through the crowd all those rows up. Says a lot about Spurs new stadium if he did.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah maybe a little bit re Cantona.

Diers is pretty fecking bad in fairness though.

The difference being Dier after his epic climb didnt physically attack the fan. Can you imagine the trouble he would be in if he threw a punch after having the time during the climb to think "this may not be a good idea". He probably would have been arrested for premeditated assault.
Dier would have been worse if he had gotten to the "fan" and assaulted him, no doubt. But he didn't and we don't even know if he had that intention.

Robertd0803

Dier would have been worse if he had gotten to the "fan" and assaulted him, no doubt. But he didn't and we don't even know if he had that intention.
I agree but if his defence is it wasnt his intention to start a fight/attack someone the first question the FA panel should ask is what the feck was your intention?

Robertd0803

To get his brother out of a situation he didn't like or want him being in, especially not if he was only in the situation because "he's Eric Dier's brother".
Yeah but how he was going to acheive that without at least some form of altercation is beyond me.

Untd55

Depends on what happened, to be fair. Not sure Dier should be banned if someone he knew was being attacked/threatened. Banning him would just say 'you have no right to protect people you know because you are a footballer.'

It is not like he really did anything.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Depends on what happened, to be fair. Not sure Dier should be banned if someone he knew was being attacked/threatened. Banning him would just say 'you have no right to protect people you know because you are a footballer.'

Seems like an unpopular opinion but yeah I don’t think there should be a ban. A warning is enough IMO.

cyberman

But nobody has said this but Spurs themselves. It simply looks as if Dier misread the situation from God knows how far away

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Seems like an unpopular opinion but yeah I don’t think there should be a ban. A warning is enough IMO.
I also think that would be best but I'm expecting a ban because I guess you just can't condone a player entering the stands for any reason.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
They obviously should be banned? It's not rocket science. It also has nothing to do with us playing them next week either, honest.
If anything them being banned works out for Spurs since they're not very good.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If anything them being banned works out for Spurs since they're not very good.
Dier has actually been very good before the lockdown as a centre back - he is hopeless in midfield but he is a pretty decent CB. I also can only laugh at anybody saying Alli is not very good.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I also think that would be best but I'm expecting a ban because I guess you just can't condone a player entering the stands for any reason.
I'm expecting a ban purely because of how the FA are so OTT with anything like this. Rooney swearing comes to mind..

UncleBob

Eh, he charges into the stand to have a go at someone and he has to be held back. It could've pretty easily turned into a fight, there's very little control of the situation.

Sylar

Normally id say Dier shouldnt get a ban, but you know... for one game id condone that as a fair warning :)

padzilla

Hipster
I would imagine they both will be facing a ban until the FA see the next game is against us and then all charges will be dropped.

padzilla

Hipster
FA's spokesperson didn't read the script.

Yep right on cue when I write something the opposite happens. On that note, there is no way Kate Beckinsale is going to knock at my door this evening...

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yep right on cue when I write something the opposite happens. On that note, there is no way Kate Beckinsale is going to knock at my door this evening...
The only way that happens is for her to knock on your door to ask if you know where I live.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well obviously not, she’s social distancing.

AFC NimbleThumb

Thought every time he popped up yesterday with that isolation mohawk, isn’t this guy due disciplinary action for this.

I guess he’s no longer seen as a threat to spectators cause there aren’t any.

Robertd0803

Thought every time he popped up yesterday with that isolation mohawk, isn’t this guy due disciplinary action for this.

I guess he’s no longer seen as a threat to spectators cause there aren’t any.
His isolation mohawk was pretty eyebrow raising. Not only does it look stupid brings the whole question of who did it etc.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Are the FA trying to let this one quietly slip away ? Imagine it was a Wayne Rooney or Paul Pogba.....I’m sorry but they’d have been hit with a long ban immediately due to media pressure (Rooney got a 3 match ban for swearing into a camera) regardless of some very lame excuse about his brother getting abuse 30 rows up in the stands.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Are the FA trying to let this one quietly slip away ? Imagine it was a Wayne Rooney or Paul Pogba.....I’m sorry but they’d have been hit with a long ban immediately due to media pressure (Rooney got a 3 match ban for swearing into a camera) regardless of some very lame excuse about his brother getting abuse 30 rows up in the stands.
Yep agree with this, it shouldn’t even be a conversation, he should be banned for a while.