Eric Dier runs into stand angrily confronting fan, has to be restrained

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm sure some of you matchgoers on here have at one point or another shouted something you wouldn't have if not for context of being at a match. The guy Cantona kung-fued, anyone know how he's doing today? I'm not saying he's not doing fantastic, and being kicked by Cantona even contributed positively to the rest of his life. But celebrities going after random people can have negative consequences for the random person. Of course, for all I know, the random person should be in a mental hospital, or prison. Who knows
You raise a good point by mentioning Cantona because I think how bad the abuse is depends on how personal and close to home (mentally or physically) it is.

The Cantona thing was pretty mental because of the amount of vitriol sent his way by that fan (hooligan). Something about 'being sent back to France' IIRC. Basically racism.

Imagine two scenarios:

- One in which some of the crowd are shouting, 'you wanker, you wanker' in unison. Like when we affectionately talk about the referee.
- Another where one of the crowd is yelling 'you're a fecking useless cnut, you're shit, get the feck out of my team' right to a player who can definitely hear it.

I'm not saying either of these are okay but I think we'd all agree the second is worse because of how much more personal it is. Also the proximity in some cases.

Understandably nobody knows exactly what happened here, but assuming it was personal abuse, I think it happening straight in Dier's brother face puts it firmly in that second territory.

Fans need to be curbed because some of the abuse they give out is way OTT. And some of it is less bad - especially when it's diluted (however you wish to define that).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Something about Dier has always irritated me, but i'm all in favour of idiot fans getting put in their place for their abuse.
It's gone to a level fans think they can shout whatever they want with impunity, oddly in a society that is getting more and more absolutely pansy.

Foxbatt

I am with Dier on this. Fan abusive in all respects is out of control now. It is very different to calling "you are a wanker" to the kind of abuse they give to family and also the players. This is not acceptable at all.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
You raise a good point by mentioning Cantona because I think how bad the abuse is depends on how personal and close to home (mentally or physically) it is.

The Cantona thing was pretty mental because of the amount of vitriol sent his way by that fan (hooligan). Something about 'being sent back to France' IIRC. Basically racism.

Imagine two scenarios:

- One in which some of the crowd are shouting, 'you wanker, you wanker' in unison. Like when we affectionately talk about the referee.
- Another where one of the crowd is yelling 'you're a fecking useless cnut, you're shit, get the feck out of my team' right to a player who can definitely hear it.

I'm not saying either of these are okay but I think we'd all agree the second is worse because of how much more personal it is. Also the proximity in some cases.

Understandably nobody knows exactly what happened here, but assuming it was personal abuse, I think it happening straight in Dier's brother face puts it firmly in that second territory.

Fans need to be curbed because some of the abuse they give out is way OTT. And some of it is less bad - especially when it's diluted (however you wish to define that).
Ye. I'm not trying to excuse dumb behaviour. I want to know who the racist/etc is so I can avoid them if I need to. All walks of life, alcohol, other stuff, mob mentality. Imagine the vilest/dumbest/etc 10% of the population. They'll be in that stadium as well. I don't know how to curb that

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I am with Dier on this. Fan abusive in all respects is out of control now. It is very different to calling "you are a wanker" to the kind of abuse they give to family and also the players. This is not acceptable at all.
Yeah, I'm pretty much with this.

People being in a crowd shouldn't be an excuse to verbally abuse another human being and expect them to just brush it off.

Also, I wouldn't feck about with Eric Dier. I've always thought that he's likely a hard cnut.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Absolutely.

Especially in the case of racism. If you can dish it out you can take it.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Strange thread. If you see someone you love getting abused, are you going to stand back and watch? People forget that footballers are human.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think anyone is saying they can't emphasise with Dier, I mean let's be honest we all thought Cantona was right in walloping that racist, abusive thug Simmons at Palace. Irrespective of that though it has to be punished as not doing so sets a precedent of saying it's okay for players to leave the field of play and get involved in confrontations with fans when they see or hear something they don't approve of. Where would it stop?

Dier completely lost his head and if he hadn't been held back things would have become even more nasty.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I'm looking forward to the day that a footballer loses the plot and absolutely twats some cnut fan

Foxbatt

I don't think anyone is saying they can't emphasise with Dier, I mean let's be honest we all thought Cantona was right in walloping that racist, abusive thug Simmons at Palace. Irrespective of that though it has to be punished as not doing so sets a precedent of saying it's okay for players to leave the field of play and get involved in confrontations with fans when they see or hear something they don't approve of. Where would it stop?

Dier completely lost his head and if he hadn't been held back things would have become even more nasty.
It is high time a footballer thump an abusive fan. I know it is calling for violence but if the stewards of the clubs cannot stop abuse then the clubs should do something about it. I do not care which club the fan supports and what club the player is from. If you cannot take it then do not dish it.

TheReligion

Abusive
It is high time a footballer thump an abusive fan. I know it is calling for violence but if the stewards of the clubs cannot stop abuse then the clubs should do something about it. I do not care which club the fan supports and what club the player is from. If you cannot take it then do not dish it.
Sorry but no. You have to take emotions out of it and remain professional. Something like that could cause mass public disorder and would land the player in alot of trouble.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Climbing over seats in normal shoes is often awkward when you're calm. Imagine doing it enraged, and in studs! On a cold slippy night!
Seat hurdles would be a brilliant sport.

cyberman

Do we know what was said yet or are we still pretending we know it was over the top?

Tarrou

He actually stumbles on the second seat and almost face plants. What a moment that could’ve been, oh well.

Foxbatt

Sorry but no. You have to take emotions out of it and remain professional. Something like that could cause mass public disorder and would land the player in alot of trouble.
Of course it will land the player in trouble but as a society we have to accept that this has got out of hand. Any kind of abuse be it racial or not is not acceptable. Only something drastic like that would force the authorities to find ways to stop this. I do not mean UEFA or the FIFA but the national governmental authorities. I am of the opinion it is high time national governments intervened in some situations in FIFA and the Olympic Committee and World Athletics. For far too long these organisations have been run as a corrupt dictatorships and if any small country intervenes they suspend them. Let them try that on any of the bigger countries in the western world and see how quickly they coming crashing down. With these pathetic fines by either UEFA or FIFA nothing will get done.

Rick88

Playing the devil's advocate here. Shouting abuse to players is fine. But the moment it goes onto their nationality, race, family, etc. it definitely crosses a line and the fan(s) need to be punished for that (by being thrown out of the stadium, not attacked by players jumping over the bleachers). These 'fans' think they are safe courtesy the imaginary line between the pitch and the stadium and that most players let it go and don't want any retrospective action. Try that stunt with anyone outside, you'll be getting your arse handed down to you.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How has he escaped without any suspension?
He didn’t really do anything outside the rules did he? Game was over so he cant be accused of causing a crush like they do for celebrating with fans? He basically went and stood up for his brother.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He didn’t really do anything outside the rules did he? Game was over so he cant be accused of causing a crush like they do for celebrating with fans? He basically went and stood up for his brother.
Exactly. No need for any sort of suspension/punishment.

prateik

I remember players getting suspensions for making shit jokes on twitter..
Rooney got suspended for saying feck..

I'd say getting into a fight in the stadium is worse.. not that I really care.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I remember players getting suspensions for making shit jokes on twitter..
Rooney got suspended for saying feck..

I'd say getting into a fight in the stadium is worse.. not that I really care.
Easy there Curtis, he got into an argument.

acnumber9

I’d say the Premier League have considered it and decided that not banning him is a harsher punishment for Spurs.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's actually been charged with misconduct due to this.

Why the delay?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
cant think of a single reason why non important admin tasks are taking longer than usual at the moment. I’m sure it will come to me.
Are you aware of a TV program called 'The News'?
Even though I thought the incident happened earlier than it did, they had enough time to charge him. Often in these cases the charge will come in a matter of days. They had over a week to charge Diet before football was postponed.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Even though I thought the incident happened earlier than it did, they had enough time to charge him. Often in these cases the charge will come in a matter of days. They had over a week to charge Diet before football was postponed.
That's why then - they've charged the wrong man.

It wasn't really the football section of the aforementioned program i was referring to.

Everything was grinding to a standstill long before the league was suspended.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Haven't you ever acquired a PHD in advanced virology? Get with it chum.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don't get the lack of care here and in the media, or the argument that he was sticking up for his brother? Was his brother being beaten senseless at the time?

To my mind as a professional footballer you can't jump into the stands and climb multiple levels to grapple with some unknown fan. That just can't happen, or it has to be acceptable on a regular basis.

I'm confident that had this been a United player, dare I say had Paul Pogba done this, the media would have been out in force calling for an immediate suspension for the rest of the season and more straight after the game.

I never get reaction and punishment relative to the profile of the club/player rather than the actual incident, which in Diers case was actually shocking.