Erik Lamela

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's a good skill for one footed players. Di Maria does it a lot. And if it came off for him, everyone would be frothing at the mouth. It's fine in moderation, unpredictable and you really can get power and elevation into it, it isn't just a party trick (it mainly is but there are pratical uses).

SteveW

Just admit it Steve, you tried really hard to pull off a rabona during a match but you just fell on your arse.
They aren't difficult. Difficult to score from but easy enough to do generally. Easy and pointless

I know I'm being a miserable auld bollix here. Just can't fathom professional footballers who can't use both feet.

Dante

Average bang
It's a good skill for one footed players. Di Maria does it a lot. And if it came off for him, everyone would be frothing at the mouth. It's fine in moderation, unpredictable and you really can get power and elevation into it, it isn't just a party trick (it mainly is but there are pratical uses).
Not everyone. I found Rojo's rabonas overly extravagant too. Wouldn't want him or anyone else risking one in a United shirt.

Professional players grow up with a football at their feet. Is it that fecking hard to spend a few hours learning how to kick it with your weaker foot?

SteveW

Hate it when he does it too to be honest. He should be able to use his right as well

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
If the player who did this had previously shown the ability to use both feet to a decent standard, would people still find it annoying?

Ibi Dreams

I genuinely don't think he would have done that if he wasn't more confident and comfortable doing so than using his right. He doesn't have a lot of time to think about it, it's fairly instinctual and he's placed it exactly how he wanted to. It's a bit late now saying he should have two good feet, if the fact is that he doesn't and he can rabona that well then I don't see a problem with him doing it

SteveW

Not everyone. I found Rojo's rabonas overly extravagant too. Wouldn't want him or anyone else risking one in a United shirt.

Professional players grow up with a football at their feet. Is it that fecking hard to spend a few hours learning how to kick it with your weaker foot?
This.

SteveW

If the player who did this had previously shown the ability to use both feet to a decent standard, would people still find it annoying?
At 4-nil, no. At 1-nil I'd be asking why

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think it becomes a case of becoming so good with one foot you lose all care for the other, and by the time it comes down to honing the weaker foot, you simply cannot be bothered. For the shitter players, sure, but they're shit anyway, working on being a bit better on your weaker foot wont move mountains for you. But players like Di Maria, Robben, even Messi to an extent all seem to play at the highest levels with one foot.

Cina

Funny the complaints in here. Our best player regularly avoids using his right foot when it's the easier option in favour of more extravagant attempts with his left.

Cina

They were 4 goals up against a shit team. Who cares if he does it? It was fantastic.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Some of the reactions in here are amazing. "feck doing ridiculous things on a football pitch for entertainment's sake. Just pass the ball to the nearest player you wankers!"

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
You boring bastards.

It's a hard skill to pull off, let alone score from outside the box with. Appreciate it for the aesthetics, looked absolutely great.

Imagine telling Ronaldinho to lay off the tricks.

Cina

Some of the reactions in here are amazing. "feck doing ridiculous things on a football pitch for entertainment's sake. Just pass the ball to the nearest player you wankers!"
I guess that explains some posters unwavering love for Valencia then.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, pretty much. Like Nani beating the same bloke 3 or 4 times instead of playing the obvious pass. Yay! Stepovers!

Obviously in this instance there's end product but it's a pointless risk which would be unbelievably irritating if he cocked it up. A free shot from the edge of the box which you'd expect any half decent player to bury, made marginally more difficult for no good reason.

Tricks in football can often serve a purpose and look cool. Rabonas are just daft.

Cina

It was Spurs' 2nd goal actually.
Ah right, thought it was his second.

Well still, they were winning against a shit team and probably dominating the game. Players gain confidence in those situations and are more likely to try extravagant things.

Cina

Yeah, pretty much. Like Nani beating the same bloke 3 or 4 times instead of playing the obvious pass. Yay! Stepovers!

Obviously in this instance there's end product but it's a pointless risk which would be unbelievably irritating if he cocked it up. A free shot from the edge of the box which you'd expect any half decent player to bury, made marginally more difficult for no good reason.

Tricks in football can often serve a purpose and look cool. Rabonas are just daft.
I'm not sure how you could say any half decent player would bury that, especially as he was in front of the ball and it would've been on his much weaker foot and would likely have been very difficult to adjust to hit.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

How to suck the joy out of sport 101. feck it, lets just play chess.

Cina

I'm sure it'll be knocked out of him anyway, just like it was knocked out of players like Ronaldo and Messi to make them more productive.

Cina

There's obviously skill involved but it's pointless, flashy skill. There's an analogy here somewhere about guitar players doing needlessly fussy solos but it's late and I can't be arsed....
You must hate when players score bicycle kicks then.

Cina

Not at all. Functional skill is cool.
Rooney's goal against City was just as difficult and outrageous as that. If he got it wrong he would probably have gotten slaughtered.

Anyway, Di Maria does shit like that in pretty much every game to avoid using his right foot, I don't see much complaints about that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Rooney's goal against City was just as difficult and outrageous as that. If he got it wrong he would probably have gotten slaughtered.

Anyway, Di Maria does shit like that in pretty much every game to avoid using his right foot, I don't see much complaints about that.
I'll await the comments of serial moaners about Valencia's apparent unwillingness to train his weaker foot with interest.

Cina

I'll await the comments of serial moaners about Valencia's apparent unwillingness to train his weaker foot with interest.
What's that got to do with anything?

I doubt anyone would deny that it's better to have two good feet than to be too reliant on your strong one. At least other footballers can compensate for it instead of swivelling 270 degrees.

Dante

Average bang
If you're better at swinging your left foot around your right rather than just kicking it with your bleeding right foot, that's a weakness in your game. It's nothing to be celebrated.

Patchbeard

this is going to be funny! :)
That first assist is probably the best example of how it's actually useful as well as being flashy for all the haters. Enables him to reach around with his other foot and play a pass that otherwise wouldn't be possible.

Re-watching Lamela's goal, the power he got on it was incredible.

Theonas

Scout
Do some people along the way simply forget that football is an entertainment industry? What's with all the moaning about everything needing a purpose and what not.

SteveW

Do some people along the way simply forget that football is an entertainment industry? What's with all the moaning about everything needing a purpose and what not.
Love entertaining football. Just not a fan if rabonas for the reasons already stated. If you enjoyed it good for you. It was a nice piece of skill. Glad you enjoyed it. Pete's dogs walking on hind legs analogy sums it up best for me though. (Not calling you a wanker)