Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

diarm

I think you're on the right track now with ten Hag if you're interested in him. He's a systemic coach that installs a much needed playing philosophy and can turn a individualistic team in a cohesive unit every individual profits from. But I don't think it will suddenly solve all your problems. From the outside it looks like the club needs to be modernized and reformed a lot on all managing levels, not just the coaching.
It does. But it won't be any time soon.

Our organisational structure is about as organised as an u5's rugby match.

Conor

There is no way we are hiring this guy, not sure why anyone is kidding themselves about it. It will be Conte, or some other stop gap that will blow up in our faces in a few years and we'll be back to square one.

Bratt

Have we even been linked with him? I haven't seen anything thus far, can see us going for Conte as the easy option. Ten Hag will end up at Barca in the summer
The Sun (Neil Custis) is the only one who said anything about this as far as I can tell. He said something about an agent had the responsibility to contact four managers including ten Hag to find out what it would take to get them, and what their plans would be.

BorisManUtd

He won't come during the season and we won't wait until summer. Just don't see it happening. He'll go to Barca, Bayern or City in the future and will probably be a success for them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
We clearly don't. Their goalkeeper is good with the feet and capable of getting off his line. .
Come on mate, the only positive about Remko Pasveer is that he's corporeal, so balls at least do not actively pass through him.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Playing out the back and with a high line sounds impossible with De Gea and I have doubts he would find much use for AWB and even Maguire to a lesser extent. Ajax are very reliant on a DM (Alvarez) to snuff out counter attacks as well. All our midfielders are unsuited for that role, even Fred.
Ten Hag isn't tied to specific types for a specific position. Remember the Ajax side of 18/19 had Schone as a DM, a totally different player to Alvarez. Schone was supported more by Frenkie de Jong who had more defensive qualities but also is totally different to Alvarez. It's all about balancing out the whole team. At Utrecht he also had totally different players and performed well with it.

I do agree however that playing a high line does require certain types of players. That's probably where United have the most work to do. Midfield and attack is fine or at least workable, but defense (especially CB) really needs improvement. Maguire and Lindelof are a joke. I wouldn't want them at Ajax, not even if we sell our current options. Simply not suited for a team that wants to play a high line.

RUCK4444

Just throw the money at him already. Make an offer he simply can't refuse.
This. A million times this.

The season is a write off now, might as well use it as a chance to start implementing his style of play ahead of tweaking the squad in Jan and mainly the summer to suit his requirements. That’s how I would present the offer, along with lots of sweaty wads of cash.

Gandalf

We have to get him now if it is going to happen at all. I would imagine he will have a number of options in the summer so picking an interim Manager and waiting for the end of the season seems like a stupid gamble. He may well have Real Madrid, PSG and City knocking on his door and frankly we are not going to look that attractive compared to the opposition. Right now everyone else is set and we have a clear run, just keep jacking up the money on offer until he and Ajax say yes.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If ten hag comes to utd he'll win us a dozen trophies.

But then again we have accountants making footballing decisions, no wonder they have been shitting the bed since the past decade.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
We’re gonna seriously regret not going for him.
Could not agree more. That trio, with him and VDS/Overmars will be snapped up in due course. I'm sure of it.

tomaldinho1

If ten hag comes to utd he'll win us a dozen trophies.

But then again we have accountants making footballing decisions, no wonder they have shit the bed in the past decade.
That's quite a lot. I'm in

Acquire Me

We have to get him now if it is going to happen at all. I would imagine he will have a number of options in the summer so picking an interim Manager and waiting for the end of the season seems like a stupid gamble. He may well have Real Madrid, PSG and City knocking on his door and frankly we are not going to look that attractive compared to the opposition. Right now everyone else is set and we have a clear run, just keep jacking up the money on offer until he and Ajax say yes.
I am thinking that everyone got a price. We could make this happen.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Some of the comments on him when this thread was originally made on page one are fantastic :D

OverratedOpinion

If he does not want to be here more than he wants to be at those clubs then it is a bit pointless anyway no?

He is not going to be blind to the fact that he may well have the chance at multiple other huge clubs going forward.

Last edited:

croadyman

The oracle on Dutch football said he's going nowhere until the end of the season whatever happens in champions league

KGBhoy

Surely if PSG will take 10m for Poch, Ajax will take as much for Ten Hag. I really think he's our guy.

arthurka

Poch can go back to Argentina for all I care. That Dutch bald, stubby footballing genius that's the guy we should be all over.

croadyman

Surely if PSG will take 10m for Poch, Ajax will take as much for Ten Hag. I really think he's our guy.
Unfortunately he doesn't have Pochettino's urgency to leave his current club which is a real shame for us

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Could not agree more. That trio, with him and VDS/Overmars will be snapped up in due course. I'm sure of it.
I think they’ve all got futures that could be elsewhere (especially Ten Hag) but I don’t think their future moves are interlinked.

VdS (and family) seem to be loving life there at the minute.. may well be one or two go, but to different clubs. VdS clearly has an affection for United but doubt we’d give him the chief exec role. And Murtough and Fletcher between them cover players which is Overmars role?

I don’t know anywhere near enough about Ten Hag to know if he’s a potential United manager but if the club think he is, hope they try and get him in asap.. has chance to work out players, styles, who stays/who goes (rather than July).

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Unfortunately he doesn't have Pochettino's urgency to leave his current club which is a real shame for us
By not waiting 6 months we'd screw up 3 years or more.

Get into an agreement with ten hag now which states he'll join after this season, get an interim till then. We had an interim manager for 3 years, we can wait another 6 months.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's about what they want too.

Poch (if the stories are true) isn't exactly in love with PSG. It's a difficult club to manage, there are reports of difficulties with Leonardo, his family are still living in the UK, etc.

Whereas Ten Hag actually enjoys being at his current club, is surrounded by people he trusts and feels some loyalty towards and is managing a team he helped build over several years. And he knows if he doesn't end up at United he will likely still get a shot at a different elite club at some point in the future. So hardly the same impetus to leave mid-season.

Acquire Me

Get into an agreement with ten hag now which states he'll join after this season, get an interim till then. We had an interim manager for 3 years, we can wait another 6 months.
That is my take as well. We can get an interim for 6 months and be in a much better position for a long term signing.

croadyman

I wish the club agreed with us but with Pochettino seemingly available we have got a dose of impatience now