Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Peter Freedom

Everybody is saying let’s get rid of ole and get ten Haag, anybody stopped to think why would ten Haag want to come here ?

dinostar77

He'll probably end up being very successful with Bayern or Barcelona.

£25mil release fee from current contract with ajax is expensive. Whether that figure is true I'm not sure.

He'd be an interesting appointment but not without risk. It's one thing to dominate in holland with Ajax. It's another to take that template elsewhere to a top league.

Also with our dressing room is he a name players will respect?

BorisManUtd

He'd be smart choice probably but I don't think it's going to happen, for different reasons that were already mentioned here. And I can imagine him ending at Barca in the summer.

Kaos

He'll probably end up being very successful with Bayern or Barcelona.

£25mil release fee from current contract with ajax is expensive. Whether that figure is true I'm not sure.

He'd be an interesting appointment but not without risk. It's one thing to dominate in holland with Ajax. It's another to take that template elsewhere to a top league.

Also with our dressing room is he a name players will respect?
I hear this concern all the time, namely his ability to 'control big players'.

Ultimately, I think the players respect a good coach who gets the team winning games and enjoying their football and one who isn't some toxic bully ala Mourinho. I'm sure they've all aware of the good work ETH has done at Ajax, so I don't see the likes of Ronaldo turning their noses up at him in the dressing room.

Dinghy

He's one of the best options, but he won't get the time to implement his style successfully here. Most of our "stars" are not a good fit for the style of football Ajax play. People want sexy football, a solid defensive structure and throphies straight away. Good luck getting that with this group of players.

Gfooty

He's not even the best bald manager in the Eredivisie :wenger:
Arne Slot has achieved practically nothing. He also got fired from his last job AZ for getting to cosy with his future employee Feyenoord whilst still on the job.

You know this of course, but the people here don't.

DickDastardly

He's one of the best options, but he won't get the time to implement his style successfully here. Most of our "stars" are not a good fit for the style of football Ajax play. People want sexy football, a solid defensive structure and throphies straight away. Good luck getting that with this group of players.
Why is that?
We already have one of the best Ajax players rotting on the bench.

Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood can't play the way Ajax play?
Varane? Shaw?

Get him on the first plane here. Even if he has a release clause set at 25 millions, that's peanuts considering Ole won't be able to get this team in the CL again.

hungrywing

Arnold Woodward: How much time would you need? Could you compete straight away? Do we have the players you need? Do we have too many superstars?
Erik Ten Hag: Are you kidding? Actually, the fact that you don't know enough about football to know the answer to that question creeps me out. That's like having one of the fastest cars in the world and asking a driver if- You know what, I can't do this. Jurgen and Louis were right about you guys. Goodbye.
Arnold Woodward: What did I say?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Arnold Woodward: How much time would you need? Could you compete straight away? Do we have the players you need? Do we have too many superstars?
Erik Ten Hag: Are you kidding? Actually, the fact that you don't know enough about football to know the answer to that question creeps me out. That's like having one of the fastest cars in the world and asking a driver if- You know what, I can't do this. Jurgen and Louis were right about you guys. Goodbye.
Arnold Woodward: What did I say?
You are over estimating the man's eloquence by a factor infinity.

Dinghy

Why is that?

Varane? Shaw?

Get him on the first plane here. Even if he has a release clause set at 25 millions, that's peanuts considering Ole won't be able to get this team in the CL again.
Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno will all "have to" play, just can't see how we balance that with the other attacking players we've got who's all rather rubbish defensively. The Ajax wingers are excellent 1 on 1 as well as they are intelligent on the ball, constantly looking to bring others into play. Sancho could do that but that's not the strength of Rashford or Greenwood's game to anywhere near the same extent. And that's before we've taken Fred, McT, Maguire and AWB into consideration who all would look out of place in a system like that. Ten Hag will need short term results, whilst thinking long term and try implementing the new system along the way. Just think there'll be too many changes that needs to be done for it too work, and you don't just bench players like Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno, no matter if they're a good fit or not. Much easier for the board going for the two steps forward three steps back solution in Conte.

DickDastardly

Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno will all "have to" play, just can't see how we balance that with the other attacking players we've got who's all rather rubbish defensively. The Ajax wingers are excellent 1 on 1 as well as they are intelligent on the ball, constantly looking to bring others into play. Sancho could do that but that's not the strength of Rashford or Greenwood's game to anywhere near the same extent. And that's before we've taken Fred, McT, Maguire and AWB into consideration who all would look out of place in a system like that. Ten Hag will need short term results, whilst thinking long term and try implementing the new system along the way. Just think there'll be too many changes that needs to be done for it too work, and you don't just bench players like Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno, no matter if they're a good fit or not. Much easier for the board going for the two steps forward three steps back solution in Conte.
Pogba doesn't "have to" play. He hasnt started for Ole in the last two games, let alone a new manager.
Especially since his contract is under question as is.

Bruno, well, he truly is the best player we have, so i'm sure Ten Hag would find a place for him to play.
Besides, he played for Sporting not a year ago, its not like he's some sort of primadonna.

As for Ronaldo, im sure any coach would relish the chance of coaching one of the greatest players alive.

I agree with your assesments on Harry, AWB, Mctominay and some of the other players who could be in trouble.

But Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Bruno, VDB, Varane, Shaw and to some extent Fred, Ronaldo and Cavani would without a doubt play in that system.

That's more then enough.

Pay his 25 million clause, add another 25 on top of that for a signing fee and another 25 if he wins a trophy in the next 24 months.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Arne Slot has achieved practically nothing. He also got fired from his last job AZ for getting to cosy with his future employee Feyenoord whilst still on the job.

You know this of course, but the people here don't.
AZ sacking him was such a petulant move though.

And Ten Hag might be more successful than Slot, but if I cared about winning I would've supported Ajax like all the other kids in first grade.

sparx99

Why is that?

Varane? Shaw?

If Dusan Tadic, Seb Haller and Daley Blind can manage I’m sure our crop will be fine.

Graveyard

If Dusan Tadic, Seb Haller and Daley Blind can manage I’m sure our crop will be fine.
Definitely. Our crop is amazing.

So you think De Boer and Bosz are top managers, on the same level as Ten Hag?

None of them had the level of success that Ten Hag has had at Ajax. Dutch league success and Champions League success, with great football like they want to see at Ajax. Full support from everyone involved with the club.

Ajax can't just easily replace someone like Ten Hag with someone of his level. At best they can get someone who might do as good a job as him.
Those two were certainly successful Ajax managers. So three successful managers in 2 years. It appears they are easily able to replace their manager. Probably because they have their structure in order.

RooneyLegend

If there's one thing our managers are almost guaranteed to get is time. If another big club had, had the results we've had in the past 8 seasons they'd be on 8 managers by now.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He's not even the best bald manager in the Eredivisie :wenger:
As if you want people to take a serious interest in Arne Slot and start looking at ways in which he might want to leave Feyenoord. :D

EtH

Is there even the faintest rumor about him yet ?

Caesar2290

Everybody is saying let’s get rid of ole and get ten Haag, anybody stopped to think why would ten Haag want to come here ?
More money, chance to win bigger trophies consistently, manage better players, create a legacy. Sounds good to me

Loon

:lol:
I know nothing about this guy other than wikipedia, yet the notion of getting him appeals more than Conte or Zidane. Go figure...

Jacob

Ten Haag would require some surgery with the squad. Conte would deliver right off the bat.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why would he? We literally have the perfect squad for Ten Hag.
A team that is not particularly good at moving the ball around, not good at pressing and doesn't have a balanced midfield is far from perfect for Ten Hag or any manager that relies on possession and high press.

Caesar2290

Do we really have a squad resembling Ajax's in terms of qualities by position?
Ajax have had their squad raided for their best players almost every year. Ten Hag's biggest strength is his adaptability. He changes his tactics to suit the players he has.

A team that is not particularly good at moving the ball around, not good at pressing and doesn't have a balanced midfield is far from perfect for Ten Hag or any manager that relies on possession and high press.
These are coachable issues. They're on Ole and the coaching staff more than the players the whole moments FC and individual brilliance malarkey.

This man made Haller CL top scorer. He scored in every CL match so far. DVB was a monster under him. Look at him now. It's all about the coaching.

hungrywing

Also probably not a good idea to presume he can only set up a team the way he's currently set up Ajax.

A good chef isn't just whatever she has on the menu at that particular restaurant.

Caesar2290

Barely any noise on us going for him, which is unfortunately very predictable.
As I mentioned in the other thread, very sad state of affairs really. I think the rumored 25 mil release clause might play a huge facto in this.

Hopefully VDS can nudge our board in the right direction.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Do we really have a squad resembling Ajax's in terms of qualities by position?
We clearly don't. Their goalkeeper is good with the feet and capable of getting off his line. Their right backs is capable of of playing every position on the pitch (and frequently interchanges with others during the game), their other 3 defenders are midgets capable of playing out the back. For the attacking and midfield positions, I don't see much of an issue and I think they could be all coached, just like Tadic/Haller/Berghuis/Antony have (none of them Ajax graduates). We don't have a Alvarez style DM, but we knew that already.
I know nothing about this guy other than wikipedia, yet the notion of getting him appeals more than Conte or Zidane. Go figure...
You'd have to watch them clobber their CL group opponents and PSV to understand. It's based on style of play and the fact that he's overachieving with fairly average players (many of whom flopped in the PL), while having rebuild the squad after losing key players from the side that made the semis 2 years ago.
Ajax have had their squad raided for their best players almost every year. Ten Hag's biggest strength is his adaptability. He changes his tactics to suit the players he has.

These are coachable issues. They're on Ole and the coaching staff more than the players the whole moments FC and individual brilliance malarkey.

This man made Haller CL top scorer. He scored in every CL match so far. DVB was a monster under him. Look at him now. It's all about the coaching.
Coach whatever you want. Maguire can't tie Blind's boots when it comes to playing out the back or Timber wiggling himself out of the press. The best coaching in the world isn't going to be able to make AWB comfortable in midfield, etc. I mentioned some of the players ETH successfully integrated, but they were all carefully selected.

sparx99

We clearly don't. Their goalkeeper is good with the feet and capable of getting off his line. Their right backs is capable of of playing every position on the pitch (and frequently interchanges with others during the game), their other 3 defenders are midgets capable of playing out the back. For the attacking and midfield positions, I don't see much of an issue and I think they could be all coached, just like Tadic/Haller/Berghuis/Antony have (none of them Ajax graduates). We don't have a Alvarez style DM, but we knew that already.

You'd have to watch them clobber their CL group opponents and PSV to understand. It's based on style of play and the fact that he's overachieving with fairly average players (many of whom flopped in the PL), while having rebuild the squad after losing key players from the side that made the semis 2 years ago.

Coach whatever you want. Maguire can't tie Blind's boots when it comes to playing out the back or Timber wiggling himself out of the press. The best coaching in the world isn't going to be able to make AWB comfortable in midfield, etc. I mentioned some of the players ETH successfully integrated, but they were all carefully selected.
Pretty sure ETH would rather have Maguire, Varane and Lindelof to choose from over Timber and Blind. Their job is made easier when the positioning and movement in front of them is set up to receive the pass.

Watch the TIFO feature on YouTube about how McTominay blocks himself by moving behind a pressing forward rather than making himself available.

Our players aren’t suddenly all shit. The coaching is.

Kaos

As I mentioned in the other thread, very sad state of affairs really. I think the rumored 25 mil release clause might play a huge facto in this.

Hopefully VDS can nudge our board in the right direction.
Why would he? He's Ajax's CEO not United's. He's not going to encourage another club to prize away one of his club's biggest assets.

pascell

Have we even been linked with him? I haven't seen anything thus far, can see us going for Conte as the easy option. Ten Hag will end up at Barca in the summer

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think you're on the right track now with ten Hag if you're interested in him. He's a systemic coach that installs a much needed playing philosophy and can turn a individualistic team in a cohesive unit every individual profits from. But I don't think it will suddenly solve all your problems. From the outside it looks like the club needs to be modernized and reformed a lot on all managing levels, not just the coaching.