Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would Ten Hag not want to assemble his own backroom staff, as what tends to happens when a new manager arrives, rather than have the board give him one?
I think they are based off the interview rounds, ie they know what ETH preferences are for a 2.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Players are suppose to be professional. The coach shouldn't need to "baby" them. If I am bad at my job, my boss will give me notice to buck up and get out. We treat these players like normal employee, we expect a certain standard and effort. If you don't meet standards, the club should inform the agent to look for the next club. The problem with footballers, they are classify as asset. I think football needs to be revamp, players are paid on performance and appearance. If you don't perform, then you are paid a minimum wage. Clubs shouldn't be held ransom with such players.

L1nk

Would Ten Hag not want to assemble his own backroom staff, as what tends to happens when a new manager arrives, rather than have the board give him one?
It’s already been speculated Mitchell Van de Gaag will come with, as well as Schoenmaker the fitness coach. I would assume this was just something discussed between them during interviews, getting in a coach that knows United and the league but also someone who he can communicate effectively with, so they’ve probably both sounded out these candidates for that role, i wouldn’t worry he will bring the staff he wants, i can’t imagine he will sign if he has all his staff forced on him

Crick

This is the same person who wrote Ten Hag FC Utrecht review
Really interesting. Thanks for posting.

1. Moving players maybe the best option in the first year as he won't be able to get everyone out quickly. Bruno? EtH will probably want to control his wandering as he is constantly changing his zone on the pitch so he may become a left winger in the Tadic role with chalk on his boots. Matic as a LCB if he stays? McT maybe as an inverted right back drifting into midfield? Or staying back to create a back three and freeing up the left back. Shaw to left centre back? He has a decent passing range and height won't matter to EtH. DVB as a false 9, if we don't have enough strikers. It will be interesting to see what happens.

2. Obvious. The media love to hate us and remaining moaning players will give them lots of stories. The fact that he doesn't want to speak to the media could actually be used positively to create a siege mentality in the first year. The club and the matchday fans will protect him. We have our own issues with the biased media against us.

However, I don't think his accent will be a problem. We are more concerned about vocabulary than accent. I'm not trying to upset Dutch people but it's hard to tell the difference between any Dutch speaker's accent in any way that matters. Having listened to him speak a little English in press conferences, I can't hear any issue that will matter here. Can he make a coherent argument in English to explain what he's trying to say? If not use a translator. This is more important and is all about the vocabulary he uses. If he just uses stock football phrases in English that will start to be a problem within a few months. If he can explain what he means and wants clearly, he will be fine. He will have about 6 months to show the media before they start getting on his back. They will expect progress in his English month by month. We are a weird country with English and how we respond. The press had a go at Pellegrini and Poch for their lack of English within 6 months but love Bielsa with his translator after 4 years. Good football and results on the pitch will help.

Does anyone know if he he spoke German when at Bayern? How good was it and did it improve? Or Perhaps RR can can help him if he needs it. Ralf is an excellent communicator and never has a problem with the media. Would RR be happy as the deputy DOF working between EtH and Murtaugh in a similar way we have seen Fletcher in a link role for Ralf. Ten Hag has spoken about how he likes a hands on DOF who is always available to him to work closely with like Overmars. That isn't Murtaugh, who we never see. A link betwen the two would help and Ralf could be perfect if English and or the media are a problem for EtH.

3. This will be his hardest task. Our players have a pipeline to the media and the board. The next year will be moan, moan, moan. If he isn't showing progress on the pitch the upper levels and matchday fans will have to protect him.

4. Actually looking forward to players shifting positions depending on opposition tactics, in game management, recognising what's going on and doing something about it. We haven't done this for years.

We have loads of players already who play and are consistently average. They get new contracts and testimonials after 10 years, so they will fit right in.

5. Depends who they are. Antony, Mazraoui, Timber, De Ligt, FDJ, Ziyech, Hojberg, Gravenberch, Alvarez, Martinez, Rensch, Blind or even Tadic or Haller. I don't think people will complain. The bar is really low here. We have loads of money, that's been spent badly for so long. 1 billion pounds in the last 10 years. I would be shocked if we had a higher than 50% hit rate on signings in the next 3 years. Some money will be wasted. So long as we start to get in some key first 11 players right, we will improve. If it's players from Twente, Utrecht or Go Ahead Eagles, it will be fun. This summers tour will be great for the media trying to work out who they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

mctrials23

Players are suppose to be professional. The coach shouldn't need to "baby" them. If I am bad at my job, my boss will give me notice to buck up and get out. We treat these players like normal employee, we expect a certain standard and effort. If you don't meet standards, the club should inform the agent to look for the next club. The problem with footballers, they are classify as asset. I think football needs to be revamp, players are paid on performance and appearance. If you don't perform, then you are paid a minimum wage. Clubs shouldn't be held ransom with such players.
Imagine if you were bad at your job and couldn't be bothered but your boss couldn't sack you. Imagine if he tells you to buck your ideas up and you just say "no" and explain to him that you have a contract with 3 more years on it and you are happy to sit out the rest of that contract on full pay in the reserves.

There is a reason a lot of top sides are struggling with player power and motivating these overpaid pricks. The players have so much power and you might have £500m worth of players in your squad and a manager you can replace for £10m and hope that the new one motivates the players. Its an easy decision.

There is a reason United have been going through managers so quickly. The players know who holds the power.

Lets be honest, it had to get really bad before they sacked Ole and I don't think the players disliked him, I think they just couldn't be bothered. Things weren't working out and the easiest thing was just to let the normal scenario play out. Low effort levels -> poor results -> new manager -> decide if we want to work for him -> rinse and repeat.

AshRK

He has to be given absolute backing otherwise it will not end good. He seems to be a demanding character which is good and what we need. Hope we work as a football club for a change than just a commercial club.

Conor

How can someone that has previously paid literal millions into the exchequer not be able to get a work permit at the drop of a hat? Crazy.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I thought Van Persie had already been ruled out due to personal stuff? Also a bit hesitant about McClaren tbh. It’s been 15 years since he was sacked by England and over 10 since he’s done anything noteworthy in the game.

Crick

Why does it always have to be someone with a United link? Why can't it just be the best coach(es) available? We need a reset with fresh ideas, not more of the same.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I just want us to stop this bollocks about hiring people who “know the club”. It’s a roundabout way of saying “worked with Fergie”. Fergie isn’t the manager anymore and the game has moved on in the last decade.

We need a modern approach with new people bringing new ideas.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If ETH can get a tune out of Maguire, Pogba and Rashford and adds a couple of good additions like Rice and Winks, as well as get squad fitness levels up, he could have United back to being competitive and even challenging. McClaren was on our coaching staff for the Treble season.

I think success next season under Ten Hag would be 2nd or 1st in the league, FA or League cup, and europa final/win. Possible especially if Varane stays fit.

Thinks are looking up.
Asking for way to much there… just getting a tune out of all the underperformers will be a success in itself. Don’t think we’ll come top 2… the realistic aim should be top 4, decent runs in the cups, possibly winning 1 but obviously we all know in the final anything can happen just like when Solskjær got us to one. A recognisable style of play and consistency and then we should build from there.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Why does it always have to be someone with a United link? Why can't it just be the best coach available? We need a reset with fresh ideas, not more of the same.
I just want us to stop this bollocks about hiring people who “know the club”. It’s a roundabout way of saying “worked with Fergie”. Fergie isn’t the manager anymore and the game has moved on in the last decade.

My thoughts exactly. Doesn’t bode well if this is imposed by the club.

Dolf

Mark Ogden knows nothing. Van Persie already turned us down. Ogden is just using the usual journalist tweets that anybody can write. "thinking about", "potentially", "lining up". Tired of these so called journalists with their "sources".

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Mark Ogden knows nothing. Van Persie already turned us down. Ogden is just using the usual journalist tweets that anybody can write. "thinking about", "potentially", "lining up". Tired of these so called journalists with their "sources".
I may have missed it, is there a source for this?

Red00012

Correct , which is why talks of Rene and Steve McClaren returning bothers me.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Not a fan of this whole former players in coaching positions to be honest and of course whatever Fletch does.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Correct , which is why talks of Rene and Steve McClaren returning bothers me.
Yeah. I’m not sure it’s a great idea either. Why is Rene not coaching at one of the top teams if he’s still a top coach? How come McLaren is back at Derby County, for the fourth time, with less responsibility than ever? They used to be good and am not saying they’d definitely be bad now, but I’m pretty sure there must be good modern coaches who move around the top-end Champions League clubs now and then who probably offer more. I’ve stopped following things like that over the years, but there must be a few around each summer.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Bizarre that Robin van Persie might not get a work permit - absolutely ludicrous.

Crick

It's not that hard. Surely Ten Hag knows coaches he can work with who are good.

croadyman

If ETH can get a tune out of Maguire, Pogba and Rashford and adds a couple of good additions like Rice and Winks, as well as get squad fitness levels up, he could have United back to being competitive and even challenging. McClaren was on our coaching staff for the Treble season.

I think success next season under Ten Hag would be 2nd or 1st in the league, FA or League cup, and europa final/win. Possible especially if Varane stays fit.

Thinks are looking up.
Wake up toxic Paul is a goner and couldn't care less about losing the other two either who have been shown to care very little

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
McClaren is actually a good assistant and knows Ten Hag too
A very, very long time ago. He would have been in his late 30’s then. He’s now in his 60’s and at the end of a series of flops. He might be useful to Ten Hag, but it’s fair to have some doubts. When was the last time he managed or assisted on a Champions League game?

Red00012

McClaren is actually a good assistant and knows Ten Hag too
They are 2 nobody’s currently, they were relevant 15-20 years ago. We need to move on from Fergie to modern day football. It’s changed