Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The possession obsession shared by Dutch managers has never translated well in the PL in all honesty. LVG bored us to death with it for instance. Ten Hag will have to achieve something non of his compratiots has on these shores
Who other than LVG? Possession is possession. It can fail as can any other stule depending on the implementation. Pep is as obsessed with it as anyone.

I feel LVGs reason for failure had more to do with his/the club's signings than anything else. His imprint on the team was impressive (in how quick we could see it) and althoght it can be argued that at his age his system was easily to nullify, the players he signed were just so poor.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Does any of thr Ajax fans know if Ten Hag has had a history of good transfers for the club?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The possession obsession shared by Dutch managers has never translated well in the PL in all honesty. LVG bored us to death with it for instance. Ten Hag will have to achieve something non of his compratiots has on these shores
I think Ten Hag is not just Dutch Possesion - considering he has been under Pep too I think he could be a mix of Dutch vs Spanish possesion football.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
On a more positive note, Ralf has said multiple times it's better to have hungry players than big names but have nothing else to prove. In fact that's how he did it in other club, where he advised and did the same thing. On top of that Ralf has seen it firsthand the state of our players. This could be helpful for ETH and if he agrees to it and do the same approach, we might finally change the direction of the club. British core and United way be damned. Let's move on and start a new, modern United. A clear out is imminent. I'd rather watch players that cost 10-30m (with a good age that can still develop) pouring their hearts out to make a name for themselves than expensive players that play like a bunch of retired legends. My expectation for the first season is very modest, make us watchable again and look like a proper team. Feck CL, feck top 4, feck trophies. We can talk about them after the 1st season. No more decent results papering over the cracks.

Blood Mage

The part about nutrition is key. It's obvious our players have largely been allowed to eat what they want for too long now and that simply has to change. Nutrition is an essential aspect of player conditioning. Let's hope he can whip Shaw's fat arse into shape.

In Rainbows

LVG bored us to death, not because of possession, but because his teams lacked verticality (movement, pressing, incisive passing, timidness). LVG's football was largely thought of as boring prior to United. The opposite of Ten Hag.

gajender

LVG bored us to death, not because of possession, but because his teams lacked verticality (movement, pressing, incisive passing, timidness). LVG's football was largely thought of as boring prior to United. The opposite of Ten Hag.
Thankyou infact if remember correctly Several Bayern fans actually warned about it and his world cup exploits was highly exaggerated when the actual football was quite dull and uninspiring to say the least .

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Anyone think Ten Hag will have a u turn? He’ll obviously have offers from other European clubs. I don’t think we’re as far behind as some think. Conte as showed that a world class manager can transform any team… we’ve got a better squad then spurs by a mile but it’s the coaching that’s the difference. Spurs are taking over us and arsenal and it’s down to 1 thing only… them having a world class manager and us not.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
LVG style of play is completely different to ten hags… he tried implementing a 3 at the back formation for starters with lingard RWB. Ten Hag will be using a formation we’re similar to but he’ll be focusing on movement and passing as well as trying to dominate every game we play.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Fridge chutney

If ETH can get a tune out of Maguire, Pogba and Rashford and adds a couple of good additions like Rice and Winks, as well as get squad fitness levels up, he could have United back to being competitive and even challenging. McClaren was on our coaching staff for the Treble season.

I think success next season under Ten Hag would be 2nd or 1st in the league, FA or League cup, and europa final/win. Possible especially if Varane stays fit.

Thinks are looking up.

Joseunited

If ETH can get a tune out of Maguire, Pogba and Rashford and adds a couple of good additions like Rice and Winks, as well as get squad fitness levels up, he could have United back to being competitive and even challenging. McClaren was on our coaching staff for the Treble season.

I think success next season under Ten Hag would be 2nd or 1st in the league, FA or League cup, and europa final/win. Possible especially if Varane stays fit.

Thinks are looking up.
You really think we'll qualify for Europe?

C3Pique

Thinks are looking up.
Why do people keep talking about how Pogba will play? He's gone in 7 games' time. To be honest after giving an interview saying the season is 'dead' he shouldn't play again this season - why are we relying on a player who is lazy and lackadaisical who now also has nothing to play for other than avoiding injury?

Also Winks? Not even good enough to start for Spurs.

AndySmith1990

Thinks are looking up.
This is the same unimaginative drivel we've had to endure for the last 9 years. "if rubbish player X can become a good player..." "if rubbish player Y can become a good player..." "if we buy obvious player X to plug this hole..."

I'm hoping ETH has grander plans and is more creative in his methods to transform this sorry shower of shite we call a team.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

Thinks are looking up.
Honestly, I think 1st/2nd is out of the question for a good few years. I think consecutive Champions League qualifications, an FA Cup or two and good style/performances, with decent wins in the Champions League would be a very good next 2-3 years and would make United look credible again. It would be a big improvement on the last 9 years, wouldn’t it?

Flexdegea

Ajax have looked nervous against Sparta Rotterdam today to be honest.

I like what I was seeing here watching my first ever Ajax match under Hag.

Dominated the game but now closing it out like champions.

So many takeaways tonight.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

This is the same person who wrote Ten Hag FC Utrecht review
Reading that I have some severe doubts about this. Not because he’s not an impressive candidate (the Forrest Gump jibe is meaningless IMO), but his entire approach would seem firmly at odds with the current composition and culture of our squad. That would be a good thing if he is given the time and resources to implement a complete overhaul, but I can’t shake the feeling that he’s been picked as he’s the fans’ favorite. Are the board really prepared for the scale of change required?

gajender

Honestly, I think 1st/2nd is out of the question for a good few years. I think consecutive Champions League qualifications, an FA Cup or two and good style/performances, with decent wins in the Champions League would be a very good next 2-3 years and would make United look credible again. It would be a big improvement on the last 9 years, wouldn’t it?
No it's not with United resources under Right manager Club is always within three proper transfer windows of Challenging for the titles if they can sign the right players .

Tarrou

Thinks are looking up.
this is a wind-up right? :lol:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Reading that I have some severe doubts about this. Not because he’s not an impressive candidate (the Forrest Gump jibe is meaningless IMO), but his entire approach would seem firmly at odds with the current composition and culture of our squad. That would be a good thing if he is given the time and resources to implement a complete overhaul, but I can’t shake the feeling that he’s been picked as he’s the fans’ favorite. Are the board really prepared for the scale of change required?
It would be difficult at the beginning but if he is given time, this lot can be replaced. Enough pandering to these overpaid lazy fecks.

Flexdegea

Oh dear, if only he survives for even an year then. No chance our humble peasants will work hard in training multiple times a day for a week forget one season. And no chance our board gives ten hag the full power to oust anyone. We ain’t never gonna see his football. It will be ole ball after few months into the 2nd season before we sack him and these players survive again at this club which won’t surprise me because this lot can survive even a nuclear apocalypse. We are doomed till eternity.

That's the spirit lad.

AngliaRed

I would to think he’s got an idea on who he wants to keep. Who he can sell and who he has no choice but to keep.

The ones who I think he needs to sell are:

Jones
Bailly
Shaw
Lingard
Martial (wants to go)
Pogba (going anyway)

Just these 6 going will literally save us millions in wages. We could sign a CB & CM and still be fine because bar Pogba and sometimes Shaw the above mentioned 6 never play anyway.

ManRed

I would to think he’s got an idea on who he wants to keep. Who he can sell and who he has no choice but to keep.

The ones who I think he needs to sell are:

Jones
Bailly
Shaw
Lingard
Martial (wants to go)
Pogba (going anyway)

Just these 6 going will literally save us millions in wages. We could sign a CB & CM and still be fine because bar Pogba and sometimes Shaw the above mentioned 6 never play anyway.
Add mata, cavani and possibly Ronaldo to that list.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
No it's not with United resources under Right manager Club is always within three proper transfer windows of Challenging for the titles if they can sign the right players .
If every star aligns and City and Liverpool both start messing up then that could be true.

But realistically, if over the next two season ETH gets you Champions League, big wins there, good performances, and a couple of cups then I think he’s done a great job.

It’s not just about “resources” because the league is strong and has arguably the world’s 4 best coaches. Ideas and organization and a willingness to shift out deadwood are more of a priority.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

This is the same person who wrote Ten Hag FC Utrecht review
Concerning. Particularly around lack of charisma and media handling. The media here will hound him out soon enough but we also need someone that is going to inspire these players, is he it?

AndySmith1990

No. 3 worries me, the players will quickly throw him under the bus
Why would anyone tolerate that though? If we all believe Ten Hag is absolutely the right man to lead the club, we can't allow players to sabotage everything and throw him under the bus.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It shouldn't worry you. That applies to at least the likes of Pochettino, Conte, Klopp, Allegri or Guardiola. There is no escape from it for players and it's the easiest way to spot who should jettisoned or ostracized.

Flexdegea

Why would anyone tolerate that though? If we all believe Ten Hag is absolutely the right man to lead the club, we can't allow players to sabotage everything and throw him under the bus.

Exactly if the same players are throwing him under the bus as everyone is claiming then he needs as much time as he can get to get rid of them all and bring in players that suits

Why would it worry anyone, that's what we are hoping to happen he shifts most them on, it's a win if you ask me.

Also couldn't care less about the media theyve been writing total shit about for I don't know how many years now, why any one be worried they not like hag. Hopefully he's a wanker to them, no one should be listening to any of it. But we got a fickle fanbase, lot of people base their opinions on what nonsense they are saying so you prob right there could be a issue for our own base.

C'est Moi Cantona

I've watched his interview in English and I don't see that many concerns with the way he talks, or holds himself from that.

Pep is hardly fantastic, in the rare times things have been going badly for him, he comes accross really poory imo, full of childish sarcasm, with much face touching and nose pulling, but because he has been so successful we don't see it very often. I thnk he'll be fine just as long as we're going the right way, ulitmately all managers struggle a bit with the media when things are going wrong.

The other points can only be positive, the players need this, as they clearly can't perform the way they're been treated just now, some will hopefully lap it up and improve, whilst some won't, but unless the board are literally only hiring him becase they're scared of the fan backlash if they don't, then they'll be ready for this, and be quite happy for ETH to get rid of these players asap.

Conor

The bit about retraining players into different positions is interesting. Wonder how someone like McTominay would actually fare as a CB.
McTominay couldn't pass his way out of a paper bag, so I'm not sure he'll be retraining as anything.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Then that will be where Ralf comes in and I bet the board are now well aware who will put the effort in. Get rid of the ones who won't or are too old to and bring in ones that fit. The thing we should have done years ago.

pjaya

feck the players.

The crowd let them away with this shit housing week in week out.
Agreed, probably not going well with some poster here, the fans at OT need to tell the players the way they have been playing is not acceptable at all by booing them instead of clapping

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He needs to get rid of the players who are only here to firstly further their 'brand'. The club need to stop using it as a way to get players to join. The honour should be playing for Manchester United, not what money you can make out of it. The actual playing has become a side event. Like a bunch of footballing celebrities playing in a Soccer Aid game.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He will not and cannot succeed here unless he guts the entire squad.

Come matchday its the players on the pitch afterall, they're shite with a bad attitude and need to be shown the door.

Gutting the squad is only solving half the problem though, the other half is a competent manager and structure in place to assist the said competent manager in recruiting and discipline.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
feck the players.

The crowd let them away with this shit housing week in week out.
Some fans are still blaming the manager here on the caf. Granted rangnick is not sweeping everyone off with his brilliant tactics but we aren't dropping points against relegation fodder because the opponent had superior tactics but because the opposition players wanted it more and put in a fecking shift. The vast majority of points we've dropped is because of the players.