Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Infra-red

Would be delighted to have Meulensteen back. One of the club's best ever coaches.
According to himself, that is
I recall that RVP was a big fan of René, too. Praised him for his coaching while both were at United. I'd be quite happy having the both of them return together.

Edit found the quotes from Van Persie:

"The way he [Meulensteen] trains is refreshing. He is truly one of the best coaches in the world. I've had a lot of good trainers, but it's the way he prepares our team for games. Every match is different so every training session in build-up is unique. We know exactly what to expect. He wins points for us through his training."

"We've won a lot of games by the odd goal - they are point winners. Consider the game against Chelsea. I scored after a low cross from Antonio Valencia on the right. It might seem like a fluke, but the whole week before the game was spent working on that move. Another example is my goal against Wigan when I cut the ball inside and shot with my right foot - again this was a situation we trained on."

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/191858.html

United in sin

The only movement Scott makes off the ball is hiding behind an opponent
That and needlessly barging into opponents

Some interesting points for me.
The last part is the most interesting for me because Ten Hag is notorious for sticking with his starting 11 and is adverse to rotation. I didn't think it was worth pointing out that he comes from a wealthy family and assuming money isn't a motivation for him

Velvet Revolver

I recall that RVP was a big fan of René, too. Praised him for his coaching while both were at United. I'd be quite happy having the both of them return together.

"The way he [Meulensteen] trains is refreshing. He is truly one of the best coaches in the world. I've had a lot of good trainers, but it's the way he prepares our team for games. Every match is different so every training session in build-up is unique. We know exactly what to expect. He wins points for us through his training."

"We've won a lot of games by the odd goal - they are point winners. Consider the game against Chelsea. I scored after a low cross from Antonio Valencia on the right. It might seem like a fluke, but the whole week before the game was spent working on that move. Another example is my goal against Wigan when I cut the ball inside and shot with my right foot - again this was a situation we trained on."

interesting BTS info. Goes to say that training is far more important than we think it is. It also shows how we are not a well trained team in the past few seasons.

L1nk

So you're fine with Jaap Stam?
I didn't say I was fine with any of them, just seems to be wildly reported that someone who is Dutch and used to be at the club is more than likely going to be part of ETH's setup if they take the role, ruling out Rene now as well as RVN, that leaves at least one of those 3 being considered. As it happens i would probably not want Stam, but then again he might be a good coach just not a great manager

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I didn't say I was fine with any of them, just seems to be wildly reported that someone who is Dutch and used to be at the club is more than likely going to be part of ETH's setup if they take the role, ruling out Rene now as well as RVN, that leaves at least one of those 3 being considered. As it happens i would probably not want Stam, but then again he might be a good coach just not a great manager
Rene isn’t ruled out though.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
no but in that video he says ten ha without a g
No, he does say the g; you're just not hearing it. That's common for people that aren't used to Dutch, cause it can be a fairly subtle sound, a lot like the ch in 'loch' (but a bit softer).

Actually, the g is pronounced in two ways in the Netherlands: the soft version mostly in the south, a harsher, raspier version (a bit like you're clearing your throat) in the most of the rest of the country, especially in the west. That raspy version is a sound Dutch tends to be known for, but this guy is using the softer version. That's my g as well (possibly a little softer still), and my wife and kids (who are learning Dutch as their native language alongside French) have trouble hearing it sometimes as well here in Canada. (For example, they don't always hear the difference between 'groot' and 'rood'.)

Anyway, from an English point of view, his name is thus pronounced more like 'ten huch', with 'ten' just like English 'ten' (the number), the 'u' like in 'fun' (there's that stupid English vowel shift again :) ), and the 'ch' like in Scottish 'loch'.

Sviken

The United players will love Ten Hag's demands for off the ball running. Unfortunately for Ten Hag the players understanding of off the ball movement is running as far away as they can and hiding from the player who has the ball.
I don't think many of the current batch of players are going to survive for too long.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Our current lot will ask what are the credentials of meulensteen and tell him to feck off and do one i.e. assuming he was one the coaches here.

L1nk

Rene isn’t ruled out though.
Oh I read it wrong as he was asked to become Assistant at United! Now I reread and it says Ajax :lol: my bad, well that's good. Would love him here then

romufc

It tells you all you need to know about the Caf and United fans.

Cry about Carrick, McKenna as coaches of United and not having experience etc.. but want RVP as a coach with ETH.

ShinjiNinja26

Cry about Carrick, McKenna as coaches of United and not having experience etc.. but want RVP as a coach with ETH.
I think if Carrick and McKenna were working under ETH it wouldn’t have been an issue. It was more the fact they were both novice coaches working under Ole who was out his depth himself. Plus RVP wouldn’t be assistant manager that would be someone very experienced like Rene or McClaren by the sounds of it.

CraftySoAndSo

That and needlessly barging into opponents

The last part is the most interesting for me because Ten Hag is notorious for sticking with his starting 11 and is adverse to rotation. I didn't think it was worth pointing out that he comes from a wealthy family and assuming money isn't a motivation for him
I agree the point about the money wasn't really necessary but in the article it peaked my interest. It just said that while some managers if not doing well might cave on some of their principles to try and remain in the job. Whereas that might not be a concern for Ten Hag since his family is loaded that he can afford to try and implement a long term project so doesn't need to worry about keeping his job for a consistent pay check.

But of course there are a few problems with that notion. One is that top level managers get a very good salary and probably don't have money worries for the future unlike players potentially. Because players are earning huge amounts that will likely finish in their 30's while managers are getting paid millions in their 50's so are better set up for retirement. And two if they do a crap job they will still get millions in compensation and probably another well paying job within a couple of years.

So as i said interesting point, but now i look at it a bit of an irrelevant one.

L1nk

Or perhaps there is context and nuance to a situation? Like most things in life it isn't so clean cut.

I would have not wanted RVP under Ole for example because Ole was way out of his depth himself making for a very inexperienced coaching setup. So having Carrick and McKenna, who didn't have much if any experience, under Ole made for a very underwhelming coaching staff.

Carrick and McKenna under ETH and his assistant MVG who have proven themselves at Ajax is a very different combination that I think most people would have approved of.

romufc

I think if Carrick and McKenna were working under ETH it wouldn’t have been an issue. It was more the fact they were both novice coaches working under Ole who was out his depth himself. Plus RVP wouldn’t be assistant manager that would be someone very experienced like Rene or McClaren by the sounds of it.
Yes, but the problem alot pf people said was the coaches too. Jobs for boys was it they said?

We need to make sure we get these appointments right now.

United in sin

I agree the point about the money wasn't really necessary but in the article it peaked my interest. It just said that while some managers if not doing well might cave on some of their principles to try and remain in the job. Whereas that might not be a concern for Ten Hag since his family is loaded that he can afford to try and implement a long term project so doesn't need to worry about keeping his job for a consistent pay check.

But of course there are a few problems with that notion. One is that top level managers get a very good salary and probably don't have money worries for the future unlike players potentially. Because players are earning huge amounts that will likely finish in their 30's while managers are getting paid millions in their 50's so are better set up for retirement. And two if they do a crap job they will still get millions in compensation and probably another well paying job within a couple of years.

So as i said interesting point, but now i look at it a bit of an irrelevant one.
I do find his background a topic of general interest. My response was a direct reference to the reporter's assumption about Hag’s monetary ambitions

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The issue would be around consistency and results. Dropping Ronaldo/Fernandes but starting with Maguire, for example, is going to create issues. Leaving Ronaldo on the bench when we haven't scored in 4 games is going to create issues. Conceding 3 goals three times in a row and starting with Maguire is going to create issues.
Fair enough but I think we would have to ensure some pain in terms of results and inefficiencies if we want to reshape our play style

Swedish_Plumber

I'm thinking if he's employed further up the pitch. He's generally poor but much better in attack than he is in defense.
Agree with you there. Don’t think he’s technically good enough for Ten hag though. Better to move him on when we are in a position of strength.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Agree with you there. Don’t think he’s technically good enough for Ten hag though. Better to move him on when we are in a position of strength.
I think he might well be retrained as a CB and can see us selling Maguire :lol:.

A very random prediction I know but I wouldn't mind to see it happen. Especially if we bring in Timber anyway and get some value from Maguire.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Fair enough but I think we would have to ensure some pain in terms of results and inefficiencies if we want to reshape our play style
Completely agree but like I said it's all about whether he'll be consistent. I didn't have any issues with Pogba, Sancho, Rashford etc. being dropped but seeing Maguire's name on the teamsheet was really pissing me off. Play the kids if you have to but apply the same rules to all players if they're out of form, not just the easy targets.

That's what I'll be looking for with Ten Hag if he gets the gig.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Completely agree but like I said it's all about whether he'll be consistent. I didn't have any issues with Pogba, Sancho, Rashford etc. being dropped but seeing Maguire's name on the teamsheet was really pissing me off. Play the kids if you have to but apply the same rules to all players if they're out of form, not just the easy targets.

IF ETH can get Maguire to his best, his ability to bring the ball out from the back may suit his system. It may not of course and he could struggle with his lack of mobility but it's hard to predict these things. My point is it may be done as it fits the system rather individuals being easy targets.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

The caf was unanimously excited about McKenna becoming a coach, and from way back when he was reserve manager he was being waxed lyrically about. I recall many posters even calling for him to be considered for the first-team manager job at the time.

Unsurprisingly, people will post differently after the fact if they are unimpressed, just as they will with RVP if he joined and we played poor, unsuccessful football.

romufc

It would be worse than that. It will confirm we are toxic and any manager coming in is second choice at best and has to face these players with that hanging over him.
So what if he doesn't turn us down? Would it mean we are not a toxic club?

SATA

Why would people think he’s turning us down :confused:

This is a genuine opportunity to bring a sleeping giant back to life if he has ambition, and from the recent tweets, he seems to want to come and do this

Loon

:lol:

This is a genuine opportunity to bring a sleeping giant back to life if he has ambition, and from the recent tweets, he seems to want to come and do this
I think it is all the Neville rants, the “demands” and the suggestion Dortmund and Leipzig are hovering, but the real job is United. I think he would regret it if he did not have a go.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I doubt we’re his only option though

TheReligion

Abusive

I’m not sure why you’re putting Sancho in that bracket

leon24

We see ourselves as sleeping giants, others see us as a club that’s way past our heyday, with history as the only thing we can possibly be proud of.

We are now the Liverpool of the 90s.

RiqCantona

Is anybody else expecting anything other than the narrative of "he's never done it at a big club. Manchester United are a huge club, he's not used to that kind of pressure" from the media when he gets the job?

"Pep and Klopp had won leagues, and we're talking proper leagues here. Frank de Boer won the league with Ajax and look what happened when he came here. I can't believe they've gone for somebody so inexperienced when you had proven quality in Poch available"

I'm expecting that, or something similar, from Merson and the like as soon as he's appointed. And then if he doesn't get off to a flyer, then a narrative will be set. It's what happened with Ole really, and yes he had flaws, but because a narrative had been set, then he never received praise even when things were good.
Yea... that narrative is quite redundant and extremely generalised. Its like saying, because Pep is Spanish all Spanish managers are great. Each manager is different, they have certain pros and cons, as well as having different pedigrees. Its not as simple as that. E.g. de Boer won the league but then failed at Palace but has been successful with the dutch team, Villas-Boas followed the same path as Mourinho, but then failed at Chelsea.

There would always be examples of both narratives. It doesn't make sense to site examples whichever way people see fit.

romufc

I doubt we’re his only option though
We are probably his best option currently.

Whilst there are many reasons not to join United there are more reasons to join.

Any manager who believes in himself will want this opportunity to bring Manutd back to winning trophies.

Its also a very good job if you think about it:

- Terrible last few years
- Will get time to implement his philosophy
- Will get money to spend
- Will get a very good wage

RiqCantona

Question time.

If ETH comes in and sidelines some of your favourite players, due to being a bad fit for his philosophy whether it is DDGs passing, Bruno's ball retention or Ronaldos pressing (or anyone else you like) in favour is lesser names, would you whole heartedly support that?
As long as he wins games, he can play the U-23 team for all I care.

United in sin

The caf was unanimously excited about McKenna becoming a coach, and from way back when he was reserve manager he was being waxed lyrically about. I recall many posters even calling for him to be considered for the first-team manager job at the time.

Unsurprisingly, people will post differently after the fact if they are unimpressed, just as they will with RVP if he joined and we played poor, unsuccessful football.
I don't get what they were impressed with to begin with. All we had to work with was endorsements from his former colleagues, press hype and his short career in coaching youth where his biggest achievement was guiding Spurs U-18 to an FA youth Cup semifinal.

The things said about him at the time made it seem like we had unearthed the next Nagelsmann.

romufc

Question time.

If ETH comes in and sidelines some of your favourite players, due to being a bad fit for his philosophy whether it is DDGs passing, Bruno's ball retention or Ronaldos pressing (or anyone else you like) in favour is lesser names, would you whole heartedly support that?
After the way the season has gone, I actually dont care which player is sold / sidelined as long as we play better and win football matches.

No player has really shown me anything this season, no class, no leadership, no fight, nothing.

I am at a point where I have no favourites, back the manager and sell the players he does not fancy. I don't care if that includes Bruno.

Swedish_Plumber

I think he might well be retrained as a CB and can see us selling Maguire :lol:.

A very random prediction I know but I wouldn't mind to see it happen. Especially if we bring in Timber anyway and get some value from Maguire.
Hey it’s not as random as you think! He plays there for Scotland and has done more good than harm in that position!

Still don’t think it’s a wise thing to to do, mind:lol:

OrcaFat

Question time.

Quite a few of our players are below standard regardless of the formation or philosophy.

Some will come back to the form they are capable of. Some just have to be cut loose on quality grounds alone.

There might be a few players in the third category - decent players who won’t be at their best under ETH - I wouldn’t know who they’re going to be yet but I’m quite happy for any manager to decide which players he wants and which he doesn’t and I wish to God our board and owners would stay the feck out of it.

United in sin

I think it is all the Neville rants, the “demands” and the suggestion Dortmund and Leipzig are hovering, but the real job is United. I think he would regret it if he did not have a go.
Dortmund are not in the question and Liepzig's offer seems legitimate

ForeverRed1

No, he does say the g; you're just not hearing it. That's common for people that aren't used to Dutch, cause it can be a fairly subtle sound, a lot like the ch in 'loch' (but a bit softer).

Actually, the g is pronounced in two ways in the Netherlands: the soft version mostly in the south, a harsher, raspier version (a bit like you're clearing your throat) in the most of the rest of the country, especially in the west. That raspy version is a sound Dutch tends to be known for, but this guy is using the softer version. That's my g as well (possibly a little softer still), and my wife and kids (who are learning Dutch as their native language alongside French) have trouble hearing it sometimes as well here in Canada. (For example, they don't always hear the difference between 'groot' and 'rood'.)

Anyway, from an English point of view, his name is thus pronounced more like 'ten huch', with 'ten' just like English 'ten' (the number), the 'u' like in 'fun' (there's that stupid English vowel shift again :) ), and the 'ch' like in Scottish 'loch'.
ok, I think I got it now, thanks:houllier:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Like what I’m hearing about him…. He makes every single person in the squad feel important no matter if your a star player or the 20th squad member he’ll spend hours and hours trying to improve every single player. I feel the players are going to love working under him and there going to enjoy playing football again once he sets his style and implements it. A new era starts next season. Goals galore at old Trafford. He loves to attack and wants more goals even at 3/4 goals up he’ll demand more. This is the type of character we want to over see a rebuild and take us back to the top.