Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Kaos

Romano has an athletic sub.
Of course he does. He's a tap-in merchant and glorified aggregator who's conned the footballing world into thinking he's a tier 1 oracle. He's probably already got his "here we go" tweet ready to fire the second The Athletic confirm it.

TheReligion

Abusive
With United it's become a case of waiting to see how it goes. I thought Van Gaal and Mourinho would get United firing again and it ended in tears.

A lot of work needs to be done on that squad. If he's given two or three years to develop things then he'll be a good appointment. United fans shouldn't expect miracles straight away though. I'd expect at least two summer windows are needed to get things where he wants them to be.
I think this feels like a much different appointment as it is. He’s very highly sought after and plays modern progressive football.

I also think it represents a huge change in the club direction in general. The background set up is fresh and being modernised which is something ten Hag was seeking assurances over before hand by all accounts.

He’ll have some big earners off the books in summer, two transfer window budgets to play with, his own coaching staff and Rangnick in his advisory role.

looks quite positive to me

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Why would we build the team around VDB?
To shut Goldbridge up for a week?
With United it's become a case of waiting to see how it goes. I thought Van Gaal and Mourinho would get United firing again and it ended in tears.

A lot of work needs to be done on that squad. If he's given two or three years to develop things then he'll be a good appointment. United fans shouldn't expect miracles straight away though. I'd expect at least two summer windows are needed to get things where he wants them to be.
Agreed. Year one is about developing the foundation and identity. Next summer hopefully adding two players on top to take us up a level. Unfortunately yourselves and City are managed by top managers and have top squads so ETH could be very good and we could make 6 great signings and still not win anything until those two sod off. Chelsea have spent fortunes, are managed by a very good manager and are still miles off.

Kaos

Put it this way, if we fail with him then its safe to say we'll probably never return to the footballing elite until our ownership changes. This is the Glazer's last chance saloon I think.

AndySmith1990

First manager we've hired that is worth getting excited about. I'll be 100% behind him while he works on clearing out the mishmash of shite we've accumulated over the years and replacing it with a functional team

MUFC OK

Can’t wait for his first signings and for him to get a full pre-season.. plenty of reasons to be positive looking forward :devil:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think this feels like a much different appointment as it is. He’s very highly sought after and plays modern progressive football.

I also think it represents a huge change in the club direction in general. The background set up is fresh and being modernised which is something ten Hag was seeking assurances over before hand by all accounts.

He’ll have some big earners off the books in summer, two transfer window budgets to play with, his own coaching staff and Rangnick in his advisory role.

looks quite positive to me
Yeah but we've been here before with United. There was positivity surrounding Van Gaal and Mourinho, then a tonne of positivity before this season started as well.

If he's given the tools and the time then he seems like he'll be a success. He's more modern with his approach than Van Gaal and Mourinho, and tactically far more astute than Ole ever was. There is a lot of work to be done with your squad though. Seems like you need at least one striker, a midfielder or two, new full backs and CB's. If anything what he needs most is the time to work and build. If he gets that then maybe he will get United competing again.

Caesar2290

Despite all of the "he lacks charisma" reports, this man knows how to handle the media. Not only doesn't he bite on their bullshit, but he also bans them.

Let's hope the SAF times of banning jurnos is back!:drool:

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah but we've been here before with United. There was positivity surrounding Van Gaal and Mourinho, then a tonne of positivity before this season started as well.

If he's given the tools and the time then he seems like he'll be a success. He's more modern with his approach than Van Gaal and Mourinho, and tactically far more astute than Ole ever was. There is a lot of work to be done with your squad though. Seems like you need at least one striker, a midfielder or two, new full backs and CB's. If anything what he needs most is the time to work and build. If he gets that then maybe he will get United competing again.
Thus spoke Klopper.

TheReligion

Abusive

Have we been here before though? This style of modern, fresh, highly rated coach? I don’t think so. Moyes, Mourinho, LvG and Ole didn’t fall into that bracket.

Add that to the change in structure and Woodward moving on I can’t say it’s the same tbh

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I’m intrigued to see what he does with the squad.
I'm hoping that our transfer activity starts really early this summer - for me that'll be the signal that we're starting to do things properly. I'd rather have a lot of new faces who play in a disjointed manner for the first season than the alledged "cohesive" team you'd expect from our players that have been together for a few years.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
There bound to keep mivering him until it’s officially confirmed. And even when it does get confirmed the media will still be asking about us next season haha. Let the guy finish his current season on a high with Ajax. Ask him all the questions in the world once the season finishes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How patient are you willing to be? Could take 3 or 4 years for us to be competing at the top.
Minimum. Regardless of who is manager.

Main thing is we see a proper footballing style and improvement in quality of play. Back the guy, monitor the progress and if we're making strides, then be patient.

SAFMUTD

How patient are you willing to be? Could take 3 or 4 years for us to be competing at the top.
As long as there's progress I don't care. We've been miserable for years, the only time I thought we made progress was with that second place under Mourinho.

If Ten Hag has us playing remotely close to what his Ajax currently plays I don't mind spending 1-2 years without a trophy.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

Pretty much agree with your post. I feel that next season will be a transitional one, so our expectations shouldn't be too high with regards to winning the Prem, but hopefully we can be there or thereabouts as to top four, but realistically it could be four seasons before we're able to compete for the top prizes I feel.
No one knows whether any of our highly regarded youngsters will make the grade, but I have high hopes for at least five of them coming through in the next 18 months or so, so we can actually look like a team, which is something that is sadly lacking in our first team at the moment.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Have we been here before though? This style of modern, fresh, highly rated coach? I don’t think so. Moyes, Mourinho, LvG and Ole didn’t fall into that bracket.

Add that to the change in structure and Woodward moving on I can’t say it’s the same tbh
I mean with the positivity around a new manager for whatever the reason is at the time. The expectation at the start of this season was a title challenge.

I do like ETH though and his Ajax side play some lovely football. I think for a lot of you if you were off the pace a bit next season but playing some good football and enjoying watching the side then that'd be enough for now. Seems like you're all fed up with the lack of entertainment and direction on the pitch more than anything.

USREDEVIL

Great that it looks fully done now save some signings and paperwork. Time to focus on getting rid of a lot of players. The big hurdle is that big bloke in center of defense. Maggy.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm hoping that our transfer activity starts really early this summer - for me that'll be the signal that we're starting to do things properly. I'd rather have a lot of new faces who play in a disjointed manner for the first season than the alledged "cohesive" team you'd expect from our players that have been together for a few years.
Yeah, agreed.

This is the first manager where I can’t even try and fathom what he’ll do or what approach he’ll adopt as he comes through the door. As you say, whatever he wants to do, it would be great to see it hit the ground running.

Zoo

Great that it looks fully done now save some signings and paperwork. Time to focus on getting rid of a lot of players. The big hurdle is that big bloke in center of defense. Maggy.
Is it? Just a scapegoat. We have so much other dross.

ManRed

Don't expect any early transfer activity as he will want to assess the squad himself. Need to give him time and let him make changes over the next 3 transfer windows.

slored1

As said before, he needs time. 2-3 years and ship out anyone he doesn't want.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Don't expect any early transfer activity as he will want to assess the squad himself. Need to give him time and let him make changes over the next 3 transfer windows.
You're probably right but I guess I'm just eager to find out if things have really changed behind the scenes.

Idxomer

I mean with the positivity around a new manager for whatever the reason is at the time. The expectation at the start of this season was a title challenge.

I do like ETH though and his Ajax side play some lovely football. I think for a lot of you if you were off the pace a bit next season but playing some good football and enjoying watching the side then that'd be enough for now. Seems like you're all fed up with the lack of entertainment and direction on the pitch more than anything.
But that was based on the money spent and a superficial outlook of the squad. Most of the people here who weren't part of a certain **** never believed that we have the manager to challenge for a title.

I'm more optimistic with Ten Hag but again there are still some decisions from the club that leave me perplexed like the new contract for Bruno and the negotiations to renew Rashford and Shaw.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Poor bastard. He has no idea what he's letting himself in for. Unless he's given carte blanche to bin anyone he sees fit I fear we'll the same nonsense again from this lot if they get asked to run about too much.

TheReligion

Abusive

I think they’ll always be excitement and intrigue with a new coach. But this appointment is very different than the past set and does seem very future focused.

i think most opposition fans would have preferred were brought in Poch