Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Chief123

No matter what you think of Ralf, he has some brass to say that about his players publicly :lol:
I think more and more in his recent interviews, he’s at the point where he really doesn’t give a shit what the players think anymore. He’s getting closer and closer to directly digging them out for being shit. Even today you could tell he wanted to be really direct about how poor some of them were.

Superunknown

So 3-4 weeks into the job and he called Oles' 3 year rebuild a failure? No wonder the current lot despise him :lol:
They've done nothing to prove him wrong. All they've done is proven him right, given that they've all increased their chances of being moved on due to their poor performances.

Think he's right to say what he's saying, and the media and fans seem to be on his side. There's very little support for many of these players, or at least the ones deemed most culpable.

USREDEVIL

I think more and more in his recent interviews, he’s at the point where he really doesn’t give a shit what the players think anymore. He’s getting closer and closer to directly digging them out for being shit. Even today you could tell he wanted to be really direct about how poor some of them were.
You beat me to it. He may not be the solution but he’s definitely spotted the problem.

BlueHaze

I'll say it again and I'm 100% certain of this, if he comes in and has the majority of these players to work with he'll ruin his own career and become a new De Boer. If he is to succeed half this squad needs to be binned and he will need to find whatever players he thinks suits best to his system. Any manager working with this set of rank rotten players is certain to fail.

croadyman

I'll say it again and I'm 100% certain of this, if he comes in and has the majority of these players to work with he'll ruin his own career and become a new De Boer. If he is to succeed half this squad needs to be binned and he will need to find whatever players he thinks suits best to his system. Any manager working with this set of rank rotten players is certain to fail.
Yeah a Guardiola/Klopp style clearout is needed

Sanchez7

In fairness, and a thing people seem to willingly forget, is that an appraisal of the situation was part of Ralf's remit.
Also Jose was massively backed by the club. In his first season, we signed - Baily(failure), Pogba(in Jose's words: virus), Miki(Failure) and Zlatan(success) and this was all without having qualified for UCL the season before.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He must need his head checking coming here. He's on a hiding to nothing. The league title is realistically out of reach now for 3-4 years minimum so he's basically putting his neck on the line to maybe win a cup and get top 4.

I honestly don't get it unless it's just about the payday.

RuudTom83

Teh Hag will probably have to build 2 teams at this rate.

A few older/experienced players will be needed short term.

You can’t just buy young players, when the club is lacking leaders.

What a mess!

Zoo

He must need his head checking coming here. He's on a hiding to nothing. The league title is realistically out of reach now for 3-4 years minimum so he's basically putting his neck on the line to maybe win a cup and get top 4.

He’s 52 and has done all he can at Ajax. The PL is the place to be right now.

BlueHaze

We are for sure abyssmal but I think any competitive and ambitious manager would be relishing the opportunity to leave Ajax for Man Utd. It's still one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Loon

:lol:
Conte went to Spurs and Liverpool were far from golden when Klopp went there, yet people find it odd ten Hag is going to United.

Robindinho

No matter what you think of Ralf, he has some brass to say that about his players publicly :lol:
Why not though? Nothing to lose now and you can see, he's just thought 'feck it' :lol:

Bet he realised after his first game. Our lazy slackers pressed for a half and that was that. He had to change his high pressing philosophy, rather than waste his time.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Zoo

It’s the place to be but the club not so much
With Ten Hag a current top level coach plus people new to their roles in the club there’s scope for some optimism you’d like to think.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It’s the place to be but the club not so much
Yes there's some truth to that. But a lot of the players who are more than likely problems will be moved on in the summer. He will get money to spend to make this squad his own and bring his own staff in.

Its a huge club and the club will be relatively patient with him.

KeanoMagicHat

I agree to an extent but we do also have the problem of being Man Utd. As soon as we become interested in a player, the price goes up 30% because other clubs know we have the revenue and we spend big. Luis Diaz for Liverpool is looking like an absolute bargain, but if we were to try and get him I just don’t see us ever getting him for that price.
You're right but I get the impression United don't even try to though, like the time they apparently scouted 500 right backs and then decided to get the England under 21 right back for £50m who everyone knew about anyway.

Loon

:lol:
I don't think either of them gives a shit about the other now. The players want the season over and will see how they stand with the new manager. I don't think they're even listening to Rangnick. Hopefully the new manager listens to him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You're right but I get the impression United don't even try to though, like the time they apparently scouted 500 right backs and then decided to get the England under 21 right back for £50m who everyone knew about anyway.
808 right backs

Chief123

I’m sure someone like Ten Haag who is known to be incredibly astute when it comes to attention to detail will no doubt have done plenty of research on our current situation and our current squad.

I would imagine his discussions with the board would have addressed the concerns he has and his desire on how to resolve those problems which would no doubt require significant investment. If he wasn’t given those assurances that investment will be backed, then I don’t see why he would accept the job. Now the board just need to back it up.

AdNani

Conte went to Spurs and Liverpool were far from golden when Klopp went there, yet people find it odd ten Hag is going to United.
Weren't in great shape before Fergie came either, People at that level back themselves to be the one to turn it round. If he didn't believe in himself, he wouldn't be the right man anyway...

TheReligion

Abusive

I’m baffled you don’t get it to be honest

James Peril

Nah. We are overly bloated. A summer of 3 starters (CF/RW/DM) with 1 squad player (RB/CB like Timber) would be a very good summer. All you need is 2 players per position and some space for some youth and a 3rd GK to round out the 25. Just needs to be the right signings.
Hopeless post, what planet are you living on. Your above assumptions mean you’re content with starting Shaw, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka every game and that’s just lunacy. We sorely need better players on LB, CB and RB. All modern teams have modern full-backs, we have an overweight Shaw and a Wan-Bissaka who could pose as Ali Dia when it comes to technical ability.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There needs to be a change of culture in the types of players we buy too, not commercial, high wage, big PR players. Avoid 100m players. If it's to be 70-80m, it has to be worth it. Don't be afraid of smart 20-30m qualified punts. You see clubs all over the league pick these players up, but United just seem to wait to see if they're 'proven' before buying them, which adds 50m to their price tag.
Agree with this 100%.

If you look how Liverpool have rebuilt, they've rarely spent north of £50m on a player as above that it becomes much harder to justify the transfer fee relative to cheaper alternatives. Most of their key signings fell in the £30-40m range.

Applying that to players we've been linked to, the likes of Declan Rice are obvious examples of players who should simply be dimsissed out of hand as there's no way he can justify that extra expenditure over all the other DMs across Europe who are available for more reasonable prices.

But even with someone like Darwin Nunez, I wince at the 70-80m price being cited for him. We know for a fact based on his underlying data that he's returned at an unsustainable rate this season. And his price has increased off the back of those usustainable returns. So even if we completely accept that he's still a good player, we'd be willfully buying him at a certainly inflated price. Exactly the sort of signing Liverpool didn't make.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He will need to develop a young squad into next season because the experience players and a lot of the top players in football will be underwhelmed by him. He will fail if he doesn't make lots of changes to the squad and sign the right player. Nunez, Antony, touchamani, de ligt and players that has played for him or has high potential should be his targets for next season. Watching our players play under Ralf, it is inevitable that they would be more underwhelmed by ETH than they are with Ralf. If he follows that formula and stick with his philosophy, he will succeed next season

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I’m baffled you don’t get it to be honest
I'm delighted he's coming and he was my first choice but he's putting a lot on the line with a very good chance of failure is my point.

The club is a basket case. City Liverpool and maybe Chelsea all few seasons ahead of us now with top managers.

Take off your Utd blinkers like I have. This job isn't a good one to have anymore. It's becoming the impossible job really.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm delighted he's coming and he was my first choice but he's putting a lot on the line with a very good chance of failure is my point.

The club is a basket case. City Liverpool and maybe Chelsea all few seasons ahead of us now with top managers.

Take off your Utd blinkers like I have. This job isn't a good one to have anymore. It's becoming the impossible job really.
possibly you just aren’t that kind of person who thrives on a challenge

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

You've heard of Manchester United right?

BlueHaze

He will need to develop a young squad into next season because the experience players and a lot of the top players in football will be underwhelmed by him. He will fail if he doesn't make lots of changes to the squad and sign the right player. Nunez, Antony, touchamani, de ligt and players that has played for him or has high potential should be his targets for next season. Watching our players play under Ralf, it is inevitable that they would be more underwhelmed by ETH than they are with Ralf. If he follows that formula and stick with his philosophy, he will succeed next season
Agree, all we can do is hope they get the recruitment right.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Many are asking why ETH would accept the job. Well, if he does turn our club around even with a cup win within the next couple of seasons, he’d achieve instant legendary status. Sometimes gambles pay off.

AshRK

If he is smart he should really be ruthless and no bs of giving some of the turds chance again. Just be ruthless in your approach and bin players you don't want. Also, please for love of humanity strip maguire of the captaincy and tell him you shall be dropped if you don't improve.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

If the board restore the managers authority then ten hag will succeed.

AgentP

Feel bad for Ten Hag already. He has so much to do and I fear the club won't back him in the market to the level that is necessary.