Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Looking at the most successful coaches in the world (Pep, Klopp, Simeone, Conte and Zidane) they are big/strong personalities. Very charismatic. Do you have to be or has it just helped them reach the top? Not sure.

But it is the biggest question mark relating to Ten Hag. It has been said that talks between Ten Hag and Spurs broke down due issues with communication/language barriers. Even in Holland there has been criticism over him being less «charismatic» or even a bit weird. I think he is just a bit geeky.

I think it could be wise of him to do what Bielsa and Pochettino did; hire an interpreter. I consider myself to be quite decent in English, but I often experience feeling a bit inferior in meetings with people who has english as their first language. Especially if there has been a while since I last spoke. I think I just come across as a bit less intelligent or slow. For a coach, that could undermine his authority.
@Judas won't be happy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looking at the most successful coaches in the world (Pep, Klopp, Simeone, Conte and Zidane) they are big/strong personalities. Very charismatic. Do you have to be or has it just helped them reach the top? Not sure.

But it is the biggest question mark relating to Ten Hag. It has been said that talks between Ten Hag and Spurs broke down due issues with communication/language barriers. Even in Holland there has been criticism over him being less «charismatic» or even a bit weird. I think he is just a bit geeky.

Maybe it could be wise of him to do what Bielsa and Pochettino did; hire an interpreter. I consider myself to be quite decent in English, but I often experience feeling a bit inferior in meetings with people who has english as their first language. Especially if there has been a while since I last spoke. I think I just come across as a bit less intelligent or slow. For a coach, that could undermine his authority.
Personality is one of those managerial qualities that gets judged in retrospect.

If you fail you're geek and weird. If you succeed you're intelligent and detail orientated.

Wenger being a classic example. Imagine the criticism that would have been levelled at him if he had failed. People would have inevitably said he had the wrong personality for the club/PL. But when he succeeded, he was Le Professor. In reality it didn't matter either way, because he was a quality manager. That personality just dicated his style of management.

Basically, don't trust charisma.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Personality is one of those managerial qualities that gets judged in retrospect.

If you fail you're geek and weird. If you succeed you're intelligent and detail orientated.

Wenger being a classic example. Imagine the criticism that would have been levelled at him if he had failed. People would have inevitably said he had the wrong personality for the club/PL. But when he succeeded, he was Le Professor.

Basically, don't trust charisma.
Really not sure if that is correct. Plenty of examples of the opposite. Players and media will rather question their methods due to failing to come across as convincing. That is the benefit of someone like Klopp, there is a huge buy in. Same with Ferguson. He could have Phelan as the coach because the players believed in the message and method that came from the Boss.

ETH right now is a huge success, but still not considered to be very charismatic.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
It's this narrative that he is the young up and coming next generation manager that worries me

I've seen posts on Twitter saying we should forget Poch as he is too old now and past his best so we should go for ten hag.

Forgetting Poch is younger and vastly more experienced at better leagues and bigger teams.

People get suckered into band wagon movements far to easy only to regret it once they get it.

Ten Hag for me just doesn't have the experience for a club like United nor the premiership and my feeling if he was good enough to cope with it he should have made the step up some time ago

Dan_F

Maybe it could be wise of him to do what Bielsa and Pochettino did; hire an interpreter. I consider myself to be quite decent in English, but I often experience feeling a bit inferior in meetings with people who has english as their first language. Especially if there has been a while since I last spoke. I think I just come across as a bit less intelligent or slow. For a coach, that could undermine his authority.
I agree. This dressing room will eat him alive, I’m pretty convinced of that, but can only hope that I’m wrong.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's this narrative that he is the young up and coming next generation manager that worries me

I've seen posts on Twitter saying we should forget Poch as he is too old now and past his best so we should go for ten hag.

Forgetting Poch is younger and vastly more experienced at better leagues and bigger teams.

People get suckered into band wagon movements far to easy only to regret it once they get it.

Ten Hag for me just doesn't have the experience for a club like United nor the premiership and my feeling if he was good enough to cope with it he should have made the step up some time ago
Poch's time at PSG is hugely worrying though and even the end of his time at Spurs is concerning. His lack of silverware also doesn't bode well for him.

Kaos

And Poch does? The man has an impressive track record of bottling. At least with Ten Hag there's the exciting risk of his ceiling being very high at a club with United's resources.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It would finally look like a clear direction from the top if we were to get this guy in and I would hope we'd give him plenty of time and authority to make the changes he wants to, even if it means getting rid of club heroes like Ronaldo or Rashford. I don't think it necessarily would, I just mean that we have to lay down the law to the players and make it clear we believe he's a great manager and we're backing him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Poch's time at PSG is hugely worrying though and even the end of his time at Spurs is concerning. His lack of silverware also doesn't bode well for him.
He’s about to win the league in France to be fair, and I imagine he’d have won the league annually if he coached Ajax. I’m also doubtful that Ten Hag would have been collecting trophies as Spurs manager either, and silverware aside even - he’d have done very well to have even matched what Poch did there.

croadyman

Utd make the stupid decision of listening to the players and not Ralf on this then we deserve him to go elsewhere and hurt us

lsd

The Oracle
And Poch does? The man has an impressive track record of bottling. At least with Ten Hag there's the exciting risk of his ceiling being very high at a club with United's resources.

That's what worries me. People saying we don't know how good he is when they forget we also don't know how bad he is either.

I just think we need a proven manager who won't crack under the pressure and Ten Hag is not proven at all

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s about to win the league in France to be fair, and I imagine he’d have won the league annually if he coached Ajax. I’m also doubtful that Ten Hag would have been collecting trophies as Spurs manager either, and silverware aside even - he’d have done very well to have even matched what Poch did there.
But ten Haag would of made spurs more competitive I think and he’d of built a decent young team with them. Time will tell wether ten Haag can adapt to the premier league because he’s never had the chance to but I really do think he’ll get us playing like city do under guardiola. He’ll build a young team with us that we can develop for years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But ten Haag would of made spurs more competitive I think and he’d of built a decent young team with them. Time will tell wether ten Haag can adapt to the premier league because he’s never had the chance to but I really do think he’ll get us playing like city do under guardiola. He’ll build a young team with us that we can develop for years.
More competitive than Spurs would mean he’d have won the league pretty much. What Poch did at Spurs was unprecedented, he took them u to title races with a zero net spend. Ten Hag has shown little to be making statements such as he’d have done a better job at Spurs.

BerryBerryShrew

More competitive than Spurs would mean he’d have won the league pretty much. What Poch did at Spurs was unprecedented, he took them u to title races with a zero net spend. Ten Hag has shown little to be making statements such as he’d have done a better job at Spurs.
I mean, Ranieri took a team of relegation contenders to Premiership champions in the same time frame that Poch was failing to win any silverware with a strong Spurs side. So "unprecedented" is fairly underwhelming in that context.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
that is why poch is our first choice and is being scouted by many big clubs. It is possible that ten hag may achieve something as great or even greater, but until he goes to a top league and showcase that he can implement his philosophy and get the right result, then there will be more uncertainty. what we are seeing with Ralf is what I expect we will see we will see with ETh. Improvement in performance, but unless we change the whole dynamics of our squad, (which after being labeled Europe biggest spenders, I cant see us making such a drastic change), I can’t see ETh being a significant improvement over Ralf. we need a manager that can transform average players into good team players, have a dynamic, attractive philosophy and have good rapport with the players.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
that is why poch is our first choice and is being scouted by many big clubs. It is possible that ten hag may achieve something as great or even greater, but until he goes to a top league and showcase that he can implement his philosophy and get the right result, then there will be more uncertainty. what we are seeing with Ralf is what I expect we will see we will see with ETh. Improvement in performance, but unless we change the whole dynamics of our squad, (which after being labeled Europe biggest spenders, I cant see us making such a drastic change), I can’t see ETh being a significant improvement over Ralf. we need a manager that can transform average players into good team players, have a dynamic, attractive philosophy and have good rapport with the players.
To be fair to Ralf, I think he’s doing a good job personally. He came mid-season, and has improved our performances. There are actually games now where Manchester United ‘play well’, which, irrespective of the result - has been a rarity for years. It is not his fault that the players he inherited are struggling to finish, and it’s also not his fault that he lost a £100m forward to help with that.

I’m not saying ETH will fail, and I’d be happy of we got him, but he is not ‘objectively’ proven as some sort of better fit than Poch, and much of what he promises is just that, promise. Poch would win the league with Ajax too.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The Ten Hag doubts are understandable but the prospect of us dominating lesser teams and going toe to toe fearlessly with stronger teams like he has Ajax doing is really enticing for me to care about if he would flop here. Its a risk but the reward is quite high.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
To be fair to Ralf, I think he’s doing a good job personally. He came mid-season, and has improved our performances. There are actually games now where Manchester United ‘play well’, which, irrespective of the result - has been a rarity for years. It is not his fault that the players he inherited are struggling to finish, and it’s also not his fault that he lost a £100m forward to help with that.

I’m not saying ETH will fail, and I’d be happy of we got him, but he is not ‘objectively’ proven as some sort of better fit than Poch, and much of what he promises is just that, promise. Poch would win the league with Ajax too.
I also think Ralf of doing a good job In regards to making us play the right way. But, I wouldn’t say that he is crushing expectations here either. he has had very easy fixtures and his result has been poor. If those results continue against the bigger club, i feel like there will be more Vocal opposition about if he knows what he is doing. But, if he has us playing well and set up like a functional team against the big boys then there shouldnt be that much criticism. His first test is against Manchester city or perhaps second..he somewhat failed against Aletico.

Yea, I don’t see how anyone that is being objective would say ETh is more proven than poch, when poch is handling big ego at psg, has crushed expectations is the premier league, and even getting amazing result against big team and walking the league at psg when he is not limited financally like he was at spurs

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
There’s always gonna be disagreements as to who would be better poch or ten Haag… poch as obviously been in the prem and did well with spurs so he’s looking the favourites but he’s only about to win his first trophies because he took an easy option by going to psg where your guaranteed a trophies or 2..: if he wins the champions league then it’s a different story but even then I don’t think psg will let him go if he won the champions league. Ten Haag on the other hand would be a risk but a risk worth taking… he’s never had the chance to manage a big team but what he’s done with Ajax is unbelievable, yes it’s an easier league then the prem but he’s showing that he can do it on the champions league stage and with a young squad aswell. He definitely deserves a chance to manage a big team and show what he can do in the prem. ten Haag would be 1st choice for me. I don’t think pochettino will take us to the next level.

Telsim

"Unprecedent"! Sometimes the way people talk about Tottenham and Poch you would think he took Burnley to a PL title! :lol: It's not like Spurs were some bottom-tier side before that. Regular 5th and 6th place before Poch came in. Sure, he moved them up a notch, but still failed to win anything. His team wasn't as bad as some of you make it out to be. And when he crashed, he crashed. Spurs were hovering just above the relegation zone when he was sacked.

JustinC00

he has had very easy fixtures and his result has been poor.
Saw something that United have created the most chances in the league since he has became manager. Can't put shite finishing by the players on him. Maybe if he had 1 more proper fit, in-form , in-his-prime forward and not past his prime Ronaldo, an unfit Cavani and a woefully out of form Rashford it would be different. Sancho has hit a good form since he's been here while he was struggling in OGS's "system"

AFC NimbleThumb

The Ten Hag doubts are understandable but the prospect of us dominating lesser teams and going toe to toe fearlessly with stronger teams like he has Ajax doing is really enticing for me to care about if he would flop here. Its a risk but the reward is quite high.
My thoughts exactly. Knowing how we’d want to play in every game & being able to judge the team/successes by a standard would be nice.

lsd

The Oracle

Trouble is anything risky has a high reward. Not really a reason to take the risk though

croadyman

My thoughts exactly. Knowing how we’d want to play in every game & being able to judge the team/successes by a standard would be nice.
Yeah and hopefully that penny drops with the majority of our board and that bunch of players who seem very much Pochettino in by the sounds of things

croadyman

I want a proven manager who is not past his best. They are out there
I just worry about Pochettino's ability to get over that line when it matters, there is just something about Ten Hag which strikes the right chord with me

Valencia Shin Crosses

That's what worries me. People saying we don't know how good he is when they forget we also don't know how bad he is either.

I just think we need a proven manager who won't crack under the pressure and Ten Hag is not proven at all
Managers are unproven until they are not though. Klopp famously lost a ton of finals for years until he didn’t. Tuchel bottled at PSG and then won with Chelsea.

Stop looking for the magic manager, he doesn’t exist. And prem experience is a joke and doesn’t matter, the best managers all had 0 prem experience before being hired.

Hester_manc

I'm skeptical of Erik ten Hag. Ajax are praised for their talent work. But they also buy many, many young players, and there are an incredible number of them, they just give up developing because they have so many young players. They bought e.g. Mohammed Daramy from FC Copenhagen last summer, and they bought him quite expensive compared to the fact that he is only 19 years old. Erik ten Hag gave him 9 games, of which he was a substitute in most, and since Daramy was not an immediate success, he just ended up on the bench with no chances as he plays the same position as their captain. Erik ten Hag does not even let him play for Jong Ajax, but just lets him rot on the bench. That kind of disposition makes me skeptical of Erik ten Hag's patience with young players if they are not successful right away.

manutdnigerian

I don't watch the dutch league cos it is not shown in my country so I don't know much about Ten Hag but from what I have heard I think he is a good coach. I feel it's between him and pochettino for the job. We need to make the right choice this time around.

Mwooyo

I'm skeptical of Erik ten Hag. Ajax are praised for their talent work. But they also buy many, many young players, and there are an incredible number of them, they just give up developing because they have so many young players. They bought e.g. Mohammed Daramy from FC Copenhagen last summer, and they bought him quite expensive compared to the fact that he is only 19 years old. Erik ten Hag gave him 9 games, of which he was a substitute in most, and since Daramy was not an immediate success, he just ended up on the bench with no chances as he plays the same position as their captain. Erik ten Hag does not even let him play for Jong Ajax, but just lets him rot on the bench. That kind of disposition makes me skeptical of Erik ten Hag's patience with young players if they are not successful right away.
I think this is weird reasoning...Just so we are clear...You are judging his ability to play young kids based on the few he didn't play rather than the many others he did play. This is like saying Ferguson didn't promote youth because he didnt give ravel morrison many games...or gabriel obertan who we also signed for some good amount of money

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
"Unprecedent"! Sometimes the way people talk about Tottenham and Poch you would think he took Burnley to a PL title! :lol: It's not like Spurs were some bottom-tier side before that. Regular 5th and 6th place before Poch came in. Sure, he moved them up a notch, but still failed to win anything. His team wasn't as bad as some of you make it out to be. And when he crashed, he crashed. Spurs were hovering just above the relegation zone when he was sacked.
Yes, it is unprecedented to stay in the top 4 for around 4 or 5 years, mounting title challenges, in a league with financial doping competitors with a zero net spend.