Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Castia

The players need to be sacked, not the manager. Bring someone else in an the new cycle starts again. What's the point? About 80 percent of the team are not good enough.

But most of them are his players. He’s had a nightmare in the transfer market which will ultimately cost him his job and cost us untold damage in the coming years

3KDré

Today our press was better because the fullbacks were instructed to back it up (ie when the ball moves to the opposite side our fullback presses theirs). I have no idea why we don't do this with regularity.

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
The cycle starts again if you sack all the players :lol:

How do people come out with this stuff again and again
But that cycle has to start again as if you get a new manager in, these same players will just throw him under the bus in another 2 years time.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Who knew that setting up more defensive and compact wasnt an utterly chaotic and suicidal way to approach a game?
He's on Sky Sports right now basically saying that there wasn't a deviation in his tactics just they the players had the correct attitude today and chose the correct moments to press etc.

I want ETH out really badly but he was ok tactically today. We should be playing like this all the time while dealing with multiple injuries.

Just obvious that we don’t coach attacking plays and patterns at all.

Irwin99

A lot has been made of the defence but when your attack is three forwards who are 21 years old or younger against the best defence in the league, it kind of showed another aspect in our team today that we've been lacking and actually have lacked all all season. It's been poor planning by the club/manager regardless of the injury crisis.

A big criticism i have of him is that he could have used the team shape he had today to make us more compact in some of the other games we've played this season and maybe we'd have more points. He said he didn't want to do this because it's regressive and a step back and I understand this, but i don't see why he couldn't compromise for a short period of time.

NK86

He's on Sky Sports right now basically saying that there wasn't a deviation in his tactics just they the players had the correct attitude today and chose the correct moments to press etc.
He must think the rest of the world is blind if he wants us to believe that there were no change in tactics.

hobbers

But that cycle has to start again as if you get a new manager in, these same players will just throw him under the bus in another 2 years time.
Rubbish. The cycle is starting again regardless because we're getting a director of football that should dictate how the squad develops. Ineos also put all the players in the shop window, not ETH.

The players are not throwing ETH under the bus, he's thrown himself under the bus through rank incompetence.

Ineos and Ashworth will not want to play this ugly, pathetic brand of football that ETH is building towards and he's not their man. So why would you keep him?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Significant sums of money have been spent; presumably on players he wanted
I don't share that presumption. I think he got what he could and made the best of it. Good players don't want to come to the graveyard so we have to throw money at mediocre ones, callow ones, past their prime ones. Now the money isn't there even to do that with FFP.

There's many people to blame, ETH is one of them. Shite owners or not, being 9th, 82 goals conceded in all competitions, -4 goal difference and with less goals than the likes of Bournemouth is tragic.
Of course. And he will get sacked, you can rest assured. But the next manager will have the same problems and probably won't even be as good. The direction of travel is towards another Ole style corporate yes man - Southgate perhaps.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
Sack Ten Hag. Get Mourinho.

United need a tough guy to rebuild. No one better than Mourinho.

mu4c_20le

I want ETH out really badly but he was ok tactically today. We should be playing like this all the time while dealing with multiple injuries.

Just obvious that we don’t coach attacking plays and patterns at all.
Today there were very few choices due to team selection. But for the last few weeks when things clearly aren't working, and Hojlund looking invisible, I wonder why he didn't try 442 like Newcastle are doing. Hojlund Rashford up front playing off each other, Amad Garnacho on the wings. The way he sticks to the same thing week in week out even when its not working, is mental. If we weren't so big we coudl easily become Everton with him.

soapythecat

Massive injury crisis, young players are regulars and young fringe reserves getting subbed on due to injuries.
This isn’t just about today - it’s been about all the football we’ve played since winning the League Cup. The hammerings we’ve had when his team took the field. Why would you want more of this as a United fan?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Hate how friendly he was with arteta after the ft whistle. You just lost, have some pride and shame not to be a **** straightaway.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
:lol:

Merson has just said ten Hag has the power of the Men In Black reset pen the way he dupes so many after each shocking game we play.

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
But most of them are his players. He’s had a nightmare in the transfer market which will ultimately cost him his job and cost us untold damage in the coming years
Ollie was interviewed and he said he didn't have much of a say in the transfers. He had a veto but that was about it. So, you are just trying to find someone to blame.

Abhinav

Gotta say, this is the most despondent I have felt as a fan since Sir Alex retired, and that is saying something after going through the dark days under Moyes, LVG, Rangnick et al.
I can’t believe we have not sacked this guy yet. The team looks clueless on the pitch and the manager appears to be clueless off the pitch and in the interviews.
Not sure why we are giving him the chance to lead us into the final. Yes, given where we are, it is unlikely we win even if we brought prime SAF to manage this one game, but at least give the players and supporters some hope. Under this guy, you know exactly how its going to play out and that is some soul sucking shit.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Merson has just said ten Hag has the power of the Men In Black reset pen the way he dupes so many after each shocking game we play.
Damn, that's a fine line. He must have had one of those 100-year-old vintages.

imanshole

Supports
Chelsea Fc
Arteta has him and his team completely figured out by this point. He has learned his lesson well after the first game. Arsenal went naively into that one and got punished. Ever since then, he knows we are completely useless with the ball and the only danger we ever pose is on the break. No need to press high and expose themselves when it's just a matter of time before the ball is given back to them. And that is what they have been doing in the following three games, probably to a fault in regards to the scoreline.

Yet after every game you have the same type of people who think that we have "looked good" on our own merits, despite never looking even close to anything at any point during the match. Today is no different. Arsenal looked in control for the vast majority of the game. Another day and they score 3 or more. And that day always arrives, like against Crystal Palace.

He has another 2 games to do something, just anything to prevent a total disaster of a season. Finishing behind that Chelsea team... that alone should be grounds for immediate termination.
But this Chelsea team have been better than united have been all year. Since game week 19 Chelsea are 4th and since game week 10 they are 5th. This chelsea team have always created chances but have been terrible at converting them to goals. And they also have had more injuries than United, but still manage to produce a game plan that only failes because they squander chances.

Castia

Ollie was interviewed and he said he didn't have much of a say in the transfers. He had a veto but that was about it. So, you are just trying to find someone to blame.

He’s signed multiple players he’s managed in the past from his former club come off it :lol:

The way he went after Mount in the summer and started the season with this bizarre open tactic of 2 number 10’s with Bruno and Mount is just fecking madness, he’s banked a whole summer window and then abandoned it after 3 games when he realised it wouldn’t even work in league 1 never mind the PL.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If we had played with this structure all season long or at least after the first two games, after looking like frankensteins ugly cousin, we’d comfortably be top 4.

Rista

I don't share that presumption. I think he got what he could and made the best of it. Good players don't want to come to the graveyard so we have to throw money at mediocre ones, callow ones, past their prime ones. Now the money isn't there even to do that with FFP.

Of course. And he will get sacked, you can rest assured. But the next manager will have the same problems and probably won't even be as good. The direction of travel is towards another Ole style corporate yes man - Southgate perhaps.
:lol: What he's gonna do, finish 15th? It's fascinating to me how highly some people still rate him.

MoskvaRed

Won’t even be as good? We are not talking about Carlo or Klopp. Ten Hag has won the Dutch league and the English league cup. Same as McLaren although Schteeve achieved it with lesser clubs. We can do a lot, lot better than Ten Hag.

hobbers

Rooney also spot on about United players hiding from first team football because they simply dont want to play in this shitshow until the FA cup and Euros.

lsd

The Oracle

These same players? This nonsense again. So how many United managers have these players thrown under the bus then as the vast majority have only been here under Ten Hag

Why do people keep believing this nonsense about " these same players"

Bobski

Sometimes a person with no filter is needed.

The midfield set up should have earned him the sack. Beyond all the excuses, all the rationalization of terrible results, I just can't trust a manager who persists with that midfield shape he has been fixated on this season. No sign that it could possibly work, some games win, some games lose, a system that creates chaos.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Funny but he’s used that line before. It was about John Stones or Martinez or someone like that during the Everton days

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
It's quite common for Mark Goldbridge to say things like "These players will throw the next manager under the bus too" so I'm assuming there are a couple more influencers who say the same.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
These same players? This nonsense again. So how many United managers have these players thrown under the bus then as the vast majority have only been here under Ten Hag

It’s fecking ridiculous. Half of the squad he has signed, or brought through. About 10-15% of the remaining players he has made key players, extended contracts, or improved their status in the side.

They’ve all been falling his abysmal tactics all season, and even to now I don’t think they’ve “stopped playing for the manager”. It does my fecking nut in.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If we had played with this structure all season long or at least after the first two games, after looking like frankensteins ugly cousin, we’d comfortably be top 4.
Actually agree with this, which is why I am far, far harsher with the manager - and have been for months - than most.

He's sabotaged us with his pride and ego for little to no reason.