Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
In this half alone Amad has shown 20 times more usefulness than the fidget spinner from Brazil.
It only took 50 games for Eric Ten Genius to finally give him some sort of chance...

FortunaUtd

In this half alone Amad has shown 20 times more usefulness than the fidget spinner from Brazil.
It only took 50 games for Eric Ten Genius to finally give him some sort of chance...
Amad was injured for half of the season though wasn't he? A serious injury as well, who knows how long it took him to be up to speed. But yes, it's about time he got a chance.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Should be sacked for playing his boy over Amad alone
Shocker, one of the best young players in the Championship that Sunderland fans raved about is pretty good!

Was fecking obvious after about a month after Antony signed that Amad was the better talent and player, yet it’s taken almost 2 years for him to get a couple of starts to show it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I hope people understand, watching this half what we should have looked like all season if set up correctly, and that even with the injuries and less than stellar backline, there's more to this team than the awful football and setup seen throughout most of the season.

cj_sparky

I hope people understand, watching this half what we should have looked like all season if set up correctly, and that even with the injuries and less than stellar backline, there's more to this team than the awful football and setup seen throughout most of the season.
This is the annoyance, we have been crying out for more protection and a structure in our midfield. But ten Hag kept it too open.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Sensibly introduced Amad slowly following his injuries.
What?!?! He barely played him before we had nothing to play for, with Rashford and Antony starting ahead of him on each occasion after the FA cup win over the scousers.

Not to mention the rumours of sending him out on loan in Jan and Diallo saying 'No, thanks'.

Such shameless rewriting of history, honestly.

hobbers

Exactly. It took a 4-0 thumping at Palace and the 19th defeat of the season for Ten Hag to finally put out a compact system today and against Arsenal.

Now we're back to Oleball, which we already know works to an extent with the likes of Bruno and Amad around.

Having a measurable threat on the right also makes an enormous difference.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Took until our last 4 games to play Amrabat and Mainoo behind Bruno alongside Amad on the right. We do it, and we don't look like amateurs against two of the better teams in the league (although Bruno missed Arsenal). Who'd have thunk.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You mean actually controlling play and making midfielders stay in the midfield is good?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
It's so frustrating. He just had to be pragmatic this season and we wouldn't be in such a shite position now. Too little too late as far as I'm concerned.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Exactly. It took a 4-0 thumping at Palace and the 19th defeat of the season for Ten Hag to finally put out a compact system today and against Arsenal.

Now we're back to Oleball, which we already know works to an extent with the likes of Bruno and Amad around.
This is basically how we played/setup last year, shocker it’s more effective than suicide basketball!

Irwin99

We would never have been floundering around in a nonsense position if we'd been set up correctly all season.
In his argument, not saying he’s right, he has explained that he doesn’t want the team to fall back into the pragmatic football that has seen us never really go any further than a top 4 finish. He said he doesn’t want the players falling into “bad habits” again which is weird to me but I guess I can understand.

Again not saying he’s right, I think he should have realised that he doesn’t have the players to play this system he wants, but it’s his argument. A bad one!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah to all of the above. It's infuriating to me because even with holes in it via the injuries, we suddenly look like a team and a unit you're going to have to do something to get by, whilst also holding a threat of our own the other way.

This thing of not playing Amad too... it's all things that could have been rectified months ago.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah, we are clearly not a bad team, just held back by bad tactical decisions. We are even worse than we’ve been all season injury wise yet playing fine because we are set up correctly.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Took until our last 4 games to play Amrabat and Mainoo behind Bruno alongside Amad on the right. We do it, and we don't look like amateurs against two of the better teams in the league (although Bruno missed Arsenal). Who'd have thunk.
The worst part is I think he’s fallen into these out of sheer necessity more than anything else. He will revert to type when he has first choices all readily available. I have no faith in this guy now at all.

chris123

Whether or not it's the right decision, I do think there's a chance he is given one more year to see out his contract/prove himself. Injuries, whether we agree or not, are something that the owners can probably talk themselves into as a reasonable excuse, and the other options out there are hardly inspiring.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
In his argument, not saying he’s right, he has explained that he doesn’t want the team to fall back into the pragmatic football that has seen us never really go any further than a top 4 finish. He said he doesn’t want the players falling into “bad habits” again which is weird to me but I guess I can understand.

Again not saying he’s right, I think he should have realised that he doesn’t have the players to play this system he wants, but it’s his argument. A bad one!
But it's a nonsense, especially when the alternative is a laughable style of play that even Championship sides can play through with their eyes closed.

Besides which, if he wants to implement an expansive style with more risk, he has/had to do it from a base of assured football. Our weaknesses and flaws in personnel are so much better masked like this. Instead of when their sprinting around headless and in a panic. His argument just does not stand up to scrutiny.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The worst part is I think he’s fallen into these out of sheer necessity more than anything else. He will revert to type when he has first choices all readily available. I have no faith in this guy now at all.
I'm almost certain that Amrabat gets dropped as soon as another CB (likely Martinez now) is ready to start.

Naively, I think Amad will keep his place until the end of the season.

Irwin99

But it's a nonsense, especially when the alternative is a laughable style of play that even Championship sides can play through with their eyes closed.

Besides which, if he wants to implement an expansive style with more risk, he has/had to do it from a base of assured football. Our weaknesses and flaws in personnel are so much better masked like this. Instead of when their sprinting around headless and in a panic. His argument just does not stand up to scrutiny.
I agree, I applaud the idea to move us away from that but the foundation isn’t good enough. The players too (some of which he bought and has to take responsibility for).

chris123

Amad proving perhaps ETH's biggest kryptonite and probably the reason why he'll get sacked... Can't identify talent for shit, dreadful transfer policy and playing favourites over people that even the fans can tell have genuine talent and deserve a chance.

MAYBE he could thrive in a head coach position, but I'm not sure he deserves the chance with how disastrous it was when he was handed too much power.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Win or lose, this is a game of football, not basketball.

And it's absolutely insane that Amad was ever benched for Antony.

SungSam7

ETH needs to be sacked, win lose or draw. Amad showing this clown his ego or knowledge is a huge problem for United.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Win or lose, this is a game of football, not basketball.

And it's absolutely insane that Amad was ever benched for Antony.
A lot of people defended that decision. They defended Forson starting over him, too.

binary bot
A lot of people defended that decision. They defended Forson starting over him, too.
Most things in football you give people at this level the benefit of the doubt on. We complain about things but know those at the top level probably know something that we don’t.

Ten Hag is the first manager that makes me struggle with this.