Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skills

Snitch
Another thing I love about him is that he may or may not rate certain players. But he's not throwing anyone under the bus or let the outside world know.

Should help us negotiate better prices when we're trying to sell

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You mean calling them all shit and needing replaced for the final 3 months of last season Isn’t optimal?
Still can’t get over how fans actually cheered that on
Difference here is yeah he called them out - but he also called himself out and by running himself showed that he is part of the collective. Unlike Ragnick who just blamed every fecker but himself. Ferguson’s us against them mentality was the world against United - Ragnick’s was management against the players.

Robertd0803

A 14k can’t be hard for professional athletes unless it’s a sprint? I do that regularly and I would die if I had to last 10 minutes at the pace of a professional football game.
I suppose if you look at any player in a match other than Ji Sung Park no player runs 14km non stop, a lot of it is short sharp intense bursts with lots of standing around/jogging and conserving energy when the balls not in play. 14km non stop sounds like hell even if your fit as a fiddle when you arent used to it (or not expecting it).

Fair play to EtH though doing the run with them, as others have said hopefully its the Disney moment we nèeded.

Robbie Boy

there is a book called “stand up straight” which is written by a British army officer about how to lead people effectively and eth going on the run as well could be straight from that book.
Lead by example, never ask anyone to do something you aren’t prepared to do yourself.
Very promising from eth, anyone who is a people manager should read this book, all simple and common sense things but make a huge difference
That's great to hear!

As it happens, I've started line-managing staff very recently, so I might give this a look if I get some free time.

Blood Mage

He told the team to play more direct against Brentford to avoid their press too, but the players ignored his instructions in that game for some reason.

RedDevilQuebecois

there is a book called “stand up straight” which is written by a British army officer about how to lead people effectively and eth going on the run as well could be straight from that book.
Lead by example, never ask anyone to do something you aren’t prepared to do yourself.
Very promising from eth, anyone who is a people manager should read this book, all simple and common sense things but make a huge difference
Now that is a really good thing to know.

Since yesterday, everything that emerged about Ten Hag, especially the part where he took part to the run alongside the players on the day after the Brentford game, has been pleasant surprise after pleasant surprise. May they continue.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils

MY MANAGER!
If true he's here to stay for many years, i remember a quote during Zidane's first season at Real as a manager, in a training session CR7 was on free-kicks using the knuckle technique on the arc of the penalty box, Zidane came in tried telling CR7 the technique best suited from that area, but i think CR7 was too much in his ego, Zidane tried a couple and scored, instantly the rest of the players gave a bravo gesture. It's possible that pave the way for everyone to listen and took his ideas more seriously.

Dread Devil

He told the team to play more direct against Brentford to avoid their press too, but the players ignored his instructions in that game for some reason.
I am a little worried that his English may not be good enough for direct instructions to non English speaking players…for De Gea to make those passes in the game against Brentford when the game plan was supposed to be different needs to be rectified…

Blood Mage

I am a little worried that his English may not be good enough for direct instructions to non English speaking players…for De Gea to make those passes in the game against Brentford when the game plan was supposed to be different needs to be rectified…
Well it was rectified against Pool. The way we played last night was the way we should have played against Brentford too, I'm not sure what changed.

croadyman

Well it was rectified against Pool. The way we played last night was the way we should have played against Brentford too, I'm not sure what changed.
Clearly the Brighton defeat wasn't a big enough wake up call but the Brentford one definitely did

wolvored

I remember having 76% possession under LVG and having 2 shots all game
An old quote 'Sir Alex Arsenal had 65% possession ' - ' Aye and we won 4-2'. Its all in the context. Possession and lose isnt any good at all

Dread Devil

He definitely made his point in between…..we were a totally different team…I think McClaren needs to make sure everyone knows exactly what Erik wants….there seems to have been some misunderstanding in the second game….

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I love that. Nips any resentment in the bud immediately, breeds respect and gets the players on side. All in one morning. Genius.

The Purley King

That's great to hear!

As it happens, I've started line-managing staff very recently, so I might give this a look if I get some free time.
if you are managing a team of people it’s an essential must read in my opinion.
They are all things that when you read them you think “well that is fecking obvious” but should you employ these very basic principles then everything else falls into place easily.
Eth going on the run himself immediately puts him in the same boat as the team. Being a soldier is clearly different from being a footballer or any other office based job but the underlying principles are the same.
If you, who are the decision maker, cannot bring your team along with you for decisions that you make you are fecked and this book gives you a very straightforward and very easy set of rules to ensure they will follow you and trust you.
It’s hard work mind you , you have to follow through on things !!

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
If true he's here to stay for many years, i remember a quote during Zidane's first season at Real as a manager, in a training session CR7 was on free-kicks using the knuckle technique on the arc of the penalty box, Zidane came in tried telling CR7 the technique best suited from that area, but i think CR7 was too much in his ego, Zidane tried a couple and scored, instantly the rest of the players gave a bravo gesture. It's possible that pave the way for everyone to listen and took his ideas more seriously.
God why is Ronnie such a cock?

cyril C

First of all, DDG and the back 4 played play more direct passing, long kick if necessary. So there was little worrying moment at the back, at least 1st half.

Secondly how many KM did Rashford contribute? Almost twice as C7 I believe.

Thirdly, the other 2 young kids did what they were instructed, instead of sleepwalking.

Fourthly, McTom suddenly showed up, if you compared him with the Brighton game, elevating from U13 to U23 level.

Finally, how many blocks did Martinez do compared with Maguire's usual? VVD became Liverpool's Maguire, if you want to look at it that way.

Boondog

It is crazy that his first win with this team was over a rival that we hadn't beaten in four years. Talk about an epic beginning.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The more you hear him talk the weirder he sounds. Try to put on a headset and repeat his speech 3 times. Its Alien-ish.

pogbasformerbarber

Motivating players sometimes means pissing them off and challenging them. Thats why the nice guy managers will run into issues when adversity strikes. ETH is already proving, to me at least, he will challenge these guys to be better...and thats half the battle. Really impressed with the last week of coaching. Hoping this is a trend as it feels much different that the last decade.

As a bonus, this is my favorite coaching story on motivation...exactly the type of leadership style we need right now.

"Everyone has a Bill Belichick story – here’s the best one I’ve ever heard. Tony Gonzalez told me this a few years ago over a home-cooked dinner. The story took him about 20 glorious minutes to tell. We’ll condense it.

Gonzalez played in 14 Pro Bowls – he loved playing when it was in Hawaii. Things were always so relaxing there, so fun. One year, Belichick was his coach, and Gonzalez was curious what made this guy so good. Great players are as bedazzled by Bill Belichick’s magic as anyone else. They have all played for good coaches. They have heard all the inspirational stories, all been screamed at for not doing something right, all been shown something on tape that perfectly foreshadowed what they would see in the game. What’s so different about this guy?

On the opening kickoff, Gonzalez was out on special teams – there are no backup players at the Pro Bowl, so the stars have to do some menial things – and he went through the motions and didn’t block anybody. Gonzalez jogged happily to the sidelines.

“Why don’t you (bleeping) block somebody Gonzalez,” Belichick grumbled as Gonzalez jogged by.

What? Did he just say that? Gonzalez turned and Belichick was just glaring at him, “like I was a piece of dirt.”

Gonzalez felt himself fuming. This was how the great Bill Belichick treated people? They were at the Pro Bowl, for crying out loud. This was Hawaii, for crying out loud. It was a beautiful day, blue sky, blue water, this was supposed to be a reward, a way to honor Gonzalez for working absurdly hard and having another extraordinary season. And this was what he gets? To have the game’s most famous coach swear at him for not blocking on special teams in an exhibition game?

Oh, yes, he was mad – who did this guy think he was? Gonzalez played football the right way. He didn’t deserve this. He stewed on the sideline, furious. And then it was time to go back on the field for another kickoff, another special teams moment, and the ball was kicked. Gonzalez locked in on a guy running down the field. “Why don’t you (bleeping) block somebody?” Sure, he heard it again. OK coach, fine, check out this block.

And Gonzalez absolutely mashed the defender, took him completely out of the play.

Then Gonzalez walked over to the sideline, and you better believe he walked right by Belichick, wanted to see the grimace wiped right off the man’s face. But Belichick showed no signs of even noticing him. He was looking out on the field, seemingly oblivious to Gonzalez’s presence. So Gonzalez kept walking. And as he was a few steps away, he heard Bill Belichick say this:

“Nice block, Gonzalez.”

He looked back, and there was no hint of a smile on Belichick’s face. Bill Belichick just kept looking at the field, and in that moment Tony Gonzalez understood. The man had coached him into blocking on special teams in the Pro Bowl."

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes and Klopp has been managing them for 7 years.
Bingo.

We aren't going to out possesion City or Liverpool over the next few years. Our aim should be to dominate smaller teams and then just try to get a result in anyway possible against the big ones.

SmallCaine

Happened a lot. If we had better players and a more patient board Louis would gave won a few more trophies.
What lvg needed the most was a good dof, someone who could have helped sign good players and forced lvg to walk back on his own stupid decisions like saying no to kroos.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Motivating players sometimes means pissing them off and challenging them. Thats why the nice guy managers will run into issues when adversity strikes. ETH is already proving, to me at least, he will challenge these guys to be better...and thats half the battle. Really impressed with the last week of coaching. Hoping this is a trend as it feels much different that the last decade.

As a bonus, this is my favorite coaching story on motivation...exactly the type of leadership style we need right now.

"Everyone has a Bill Belichick story – here’s the best one I’ve ever heard. Tony Gonzalez told me this a few years ago over a home-cooked dinner. The story took him about 20 glorious minutes to tell. We’ll condense it.

Gonzalez played in 14 Pro Bowls – he loved playing when it was in Hawaii. Things were always so relaxing there, so fun. One year, Belichick was his coach, and Gonzalez was curious what made this guy so good. Great players are as bedazzled by Bill Belichick’s magic as anyone else. They have all played for good coaches. They have heard all the inspirational stories, all been screamed at for not doing something right, all been shown something on tape that perfectly foreshadowed what they would see in the game. What’s so different about this guy?

On the opening kickoff, Gonzalez was out on special teams – there are no backup players at the Pro Bowl, so the stars have to do some menial things – and he went through the motions and didn’t block anybody. Gonzalez jogged happily to the sidelines.

“Why don’t you (bleeping) block somebody Gonzalez,” Belichick grumbled as Gonzalez jogged by.

What? Did he just say that? Gonzalez turned and Belichick was just glaring at him, “like I was a piece of dirt.”

Gonzalez felt himself fuming. This was how the great Bill Belichick treated people? They were at the Pro Bowl, for crying out loud. This was Hawaii, for crying out loud. It was a beautiful day, blue sky, blue water, this was supposed to be a reward, a way to honor Gonzalez for working absurdly hard and having another extraordinary season. And this was what he gets? To have the game’s most famous coach swear at him for not blocking on special teams in an exhibition game?

Oh, yes, he was mad – who did this guy think he was? Gonzalez played football the right way. He didn’t deserve this. He stewed on the sideline, furious. And then it was time to go back on the field for another kickoff, another special teams moment, and the ball was kicked. Gonzalez locked in on a guy running down the field. “Why don’t you (bleeping) block somebody?” Sure, he heard it again. OK coach, fine, check out this block.

And Gonzalez absolutely mashed the defender, took him completely out of the play.

Then Gonzalez walked over to the sideline, and you better believe he walked right by Belichick, wanted to see the grimace wiped right off the man’s face. But Belichick showed no signs of even noticing him. He was looking out on the field, seemingly oblivious to Gonzalez’s presence. So Gonzalez kept walking. And as he was a few steps away, he heard Bill Belichick say this:

“Nice block, Gonzalez.”

He looked back, and there was no hint of a smile on Belichick’s face. Bill Belichick just kept looking at the field, and in that moment Tony Gonzalez understood. The man had coached him into blocking on special teams in the Pro Bowl."
Or this:

Real Name

The feckin' players better buck up. They cant be having a 52y.o man run with them, especially at a pro-athlete's pace. We don't need ETH the first manager to die on the job in the PL.
Maybe he just ran the kilometres, but in slower pace.