Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

croadyman

He’s going to be totally fecking screwed over if a striker is not bought/loaned in January.

Lack of goals will likely see us finish outside the top 4 again this season. I just hope that fans stick by ETH and lay the blame squarely at the feet of the incompetent board.
Incompetence FC since 2013

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s going to be totally fecking screwed over if a striker is not bought/loaned in January.

Lack of goals will likely see us finish outside the top 4 again this season. I just hope that fans stick by ETH and lay the blame squarely at the feet of the incompetent board.
I think the majority of the fans will blame the board. They’ve always blamed the board under all the managers. The difference with Ten Hag though is that we can see progress and a clear style of play which is what we have lacked for years. Fans are enjoying watching us again which can’t be said under previous managers.

el3mel

Yeah this is good. I like what I have been saying. Clear playing patterns that shows actual coaching. Players seem to understand each other more than before. Looks like we're really on the right track.

Irwin99

A good win and two very winnable league games coming up in Wolves and Bournemouth.

Really really think our season hinges on getting another good squad option up front though. Hope the board back him with at least one signing in January (even if it's Depay or a signing like that).

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He's taking it calm, one match after another as the form steadily rising. Experiments with Cas and Shaw at CB so far flawless. :lol:

Make our attack deadly and he could outdone himself in his first season here.

Vapor trail

Interesting comments regarding Gakpo sounds like the club indeed were interested but the finances weren't there. He said the team need numbers in the attack so everyone screaming United have x amount of wingers aren't taking the context of a compiled fixture list with a competitive manager.

Hope the club get some smart business done over winter. The biggest loss with Gakpo is that he's relatively cheap for the modern day forward.

cyberman

Interesting comments regarding Gakpo sounds like the club indeed were interested but the finances weren't there. He said the team need numbers in the attack so everyone screaming United have x amount of wingers aren't taking the context of a compiled fixture list with a competitive manager.

Hope the club get some smart business done over winter. The biggest loss with Gakpo is that he's relatively cheap for the modern day forward.
He literally said he wouldn’t talk about individual players?

Flexdegea

Then he proceeds to give context, read between the lines.

There was nothing mentioned about Geskpo at all, context or between the lines.

I've no doubt everyone will run with the story we got beat out for him when we didn't.

Even seen shearer claim it

croadyman

A good win and two very winnable league games coming up in Wolves and Bournemouth.

Really really think our season hinges on getting another good squad option up front though. Hope the board back him with at least one signing in January (even if it's Depay or a signing like that).
Yeah you "might" be leaving shortly but come on leeches at least give him someone on loan who can play CF until May

Last edited:

croadyman

He's taking it calm, one match after another as the form steadily rising. Experiments with Cas and Shaw at CB so far flawless. :lol:

Make our attack deadly and he could outdone himself in his first season here.
Who could realistically come in next month in order to make it deadly

TsuWave

Up and up we go

kloop took 5 years at Liverpool, i hope are rejuvenation is quicker.. sale of the club will be a big factor
Eh, people always say this as if Klopp was just at Liverpool for 5 years not doing much until winning the league. They were reaching european finals and playing eye catching stuff in the meantime.

croadyman

Pleading with new ownership (god knows when) to take leaf out of geordies book and keep current manager in charge

norm87cro

Didnt watch the game yesterday but I was taken aback when I saw the defence line up. We literally had one CB and three backs. I know he doesnt rate Maguire (despite obviously playing better for England than us but so does Shaw) but he also has Lindelof (who didnt play the WC and is a CB despite my low opinion about him). Having three short men at the back doesnt seem like a good idea but we were playing Forest so how did we look? Forest had a goal ruled off so we obviously were not bullet proof

Posh Red

Didnt watch the game yesterday but I was taken aback when I saw the defence line up. We literally had one CB and three backs. I know he doesnt rate Maguire (despite obviously playing better for England than us but so does Shaw) but he also has Lindelof (who didnt play the WC and is a CB despite my low opinion about him). Having three short men at the back doesnt seem like a good idea but we were playing Forest so how did we look? Forest had a goal ruled off so we obviously were not bullet proof
Google has Shaw at 6ft1. Does anyone know how tall he actually is?

Judas

Open to offers
Pleading with new ownership (god knows when) to take leaf out of geordies book and keep current manager in charge
Why do you keep pushing this nonsense self created narrative that the first act of the owners will be to bin off the manager who is (hopefully) the best we've had since Fergie?

norm87cro

Yeah it says 1,85 m which is ok I guess (he is not short but not imposing either). It just rubs me the wrong way when the manager plays someone out of position rather than playing one of two actual CBs at his disposal.

Last edited:

Tarrou

the new owners are not gonna sack him

he’s one of the most promising managers around and he’s doing great for us - the players like him and I’m sure the guys who hired him are all happy too

norm87cro

Neither of those CBs is left-footed. Dare i say Shaw looked better than each od them.
He is the better player no doubt but he can be sloppy and thats not his natural position. Whatever ETH plans to do (or can do) on the market I just hope this is a temporary thing and he plans to play actual CBs on that position.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yeah it says 1,85 m which is ok I guess (he is not short but not imposing either). It just rubs me the wrong way when the manager plays someone out of position rather than playing one of two actual CBs at his disposal.
About 178 cm (or 5'10"). Phil Jones is legitimately 6'1" and Shaw is noticeably shorter than him.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maguire was sick (and is shit) The only other CB was a kid. Made much more sense to play an experienced defender in there instead. That’s what all top managers do when there’s an injury crisis. Fergie played Carrick in central defence more than once. Pep has played Fernandinho. Klopp has played Fabinho.

Steve 007

Damn leeches.
In fairness that has worked out well for them. Bruce is a stay in the division type manager, they wanted a good football manager.

What we have is a very driven manager, one of the most highly rated up and coming managers. He’s slowly stamping his authority and getting us nearer to where we need to be, they’ll back him not sack him. Just heard we’ve the best home defensive record with just 4 conceded, apart from 3 terrible games, and a lack of goals, everything he’s doing feels right. AWB, VDB, Fred all looked great last night. Rashford, Varane, Shaw All back to near their best. Most of his signings are superb (Anthony just had a stinking game) he’ll get there. If he can continue this and get Sancho where we want him, we are in a different place.

Lights Out

It was really comfortable, the only frustration is that we should have won by more.

I just think back to the last few months under Ole and every team we played, no matter how poor they were, looked like scoring every time they went forward against us.

The difference now, even with a makeshift defence, is remarkable.

Reactions: Cheimoon

norm87cro

About 178 cm (or 5'10"). Phil Jones is legitimately 6'1" and Shaw is noticeably shorter than him.

I knew it. F... Google lying like that. Anyway Shaw is quality (thanks LVG) and I really hope he is our starting LB for years to come. In all honesty the guy survived a potentially career ending injury that looked even worse than the 08 Eduardo one. Dudu was never the same player after that but Shaw recovered just fine. I guess it helps being a bit bulky sometimes. But this is a ETH thread and to top it off this is clearly the second time he is experimenting. I said he kind of has "shades" of LVG and was pretty much attacked around here (when he played both Shaw and Malacia who are both left footed and natural LBs on two back positions). Now he has put Shaw in a position where he has to play against players like Heskey. ETH obviously doesnt think height is a thing in this league but it is and sooner or later its gonna bite us in the ass.

Before I get crucified around here I do know its his first season and he is working with players he doesnt want or rate so this season I am giving the benefit of the doubt.

nickm

Keep it open, you never know what happens. Don’t say 4th place is a wonderful achievement when it is not. The fans may be pessimistic but don’t put it into the players heads that they are only as good as 4th place.
Nobody expected liverpool to be below utd after 15 games. Keep some fighting spirit and don’t tell the journalist to expect liverpool to finish above utd. Just aim high, the sky is the limit, our squad is as expensive as any other squad. Our midfield is very experienced, same goes for out defence and we have options up front. Why should we just bow down and let liverpool get passed us.

I would think the progress made by arsenal and especially newcastle would inspire Ten Hag.

It is such a difference with Van Gaal who literally said Holland would win the world cup. He almost made the players believe they could do it.
Sigh, how many times does one need to say it. This is a transitory season. Of course it is not limit of our ambition but it is the right start point when you are rebuilding step by step. Comparing the approach you need to rebuild a squad and a club over a couple of seasons to getting players hyped up for several knock out games, is ridiculous.

Frankly CL qualification would be a wonderful achievement given I thought there was a betting chance of us being relegated this season, especially at the start.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He needs to call Kloppo and get some inhalers because we'll need our players to absolutely run marathons in 2023.

Let's hope het gets lucky because he's doing a stellar job organising and stabilising this team by bringing some much needed quality and polishing some of the dusted talent in the team.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
the new owners are not gonna sack him

he’s one of the most promising managers around and he’s doing great for us - the players like him and I’m sure the guys who hired him are all happy too
Of course not. He is brilliant, the fans love him, and obviously he is doing a wonderful job. He will remain in charge for years to come