Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

AFC NimbleThumb

£75Million Sancho, 86 million Antony, boy wonder Rashford, boy wonder Garnacho, Bruno, Martial ( 27 apps) elanga (previous manager also had to use him),
As comparison Jesus only played 31 apps, so Arsenal had to use a Nketiah as their main and mounted a title challenge.
Arteta has been there how long again? I’d expect them to be a more cohesive team, no?

Considering how people put Top4 on a pedestal & it’s taken multiple seasons for him to achieve this it’s not particularly a slight on EtH. Upwards next year I hope.

cyberman

A really weird season. As at January it seemed unanimous that he was the one. But since then he has given big LVG vibes.

That isn't to say LVG was bad but he just never got to grips with what was needed to win the league. The summer targets and decisions with squad memebers will tell us a lot about if EtH has learnt anything from this season.

By getting top 4 he has achieved his target and with a cup you could say he's surpassed expectations. From next season though the demands will be greater, we'll need to see our team passing improve considerably and get closer to to mounting a PL challenge.

Very good first season but the jury is still out for me.
Of course the Jury will forever be out if you just focus on whatever the next seasons objectives are? Unless he has a Time Machine?

edcunited1878

You can see what he wants to do and where we need to strengthen for it to happen. He praises Sancho because he and Antony keep the ball high up the pitch, we are able to peg teams back. Give us Kane and thus someone to play off through the middle and we will see how important and advantageous that is.
There's been zero focal point at the heart of the attacking line. Wout has been a warm body and sometimes when you're in the deepest of winters, that warm body does a thankless job and nothing else but it keeps you alive, barely.

The overall composition of the attacking line and how they function moving forward will be interesting because it's still a mismatch of players who don't really compliment each other.

cyberman

There's been zero focal point at the heart of the attacking line. Wout has been a warm body and sometimes when you're in the deepest of winters, that warm body does a thankless job and nothing else but it keeps you alive, barely.

The overall composition of the attacking line and how they function moving forward will be interesting because it's still a mismatch of players who don't really compliment each other.
It’s going to be an odd fit attacking wise because Sancho really should be our third choice Lw if we do get a striker but we would still only have Antony on the right.
I can see Sancho on the right behind Antony simply because playing a right footed player on the left is done mainly for their ability to cut in and get shots off on goal. Sancho doesn’t do that but maybe on the right he won’t cut back as much if he can ping it across to a Kane on his right foot.

DownRiver

wait….didn’t he say we score enough goals in his press conference?? Has he changed his mind 2 days?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
£75Million Sancho, 86 million Antony, boy wonder Rashford, boy wonder Garnacho, Bruno, Martial ( 27 apps) elanga (previous manager also had to use him),
As comparison Jesus only played 31 apps, so Arsenal had to use a Nketiah as their main and mounted a title challenge.
Rashford and Garnacho are good but Garnacho is 18 and same position as Rashford.

Who cares about price, the reality is what these players are. Antony is good but first season in the prem and young and doesn't have end product. Martial was injured for the majority of the season and can't play 90 minutes and his own level is seriously compromised by injuries. Sancho is a wide creator who is too scared to create. Again the problem aren't our wingers anyway, it's a lack of a center forward which I should've clarified. The wingers are inconsistent but would improve with a proper CF. It's the most important position in football and there are 20 other forwards in the Premier league alone, if not more, who would improve us and start regularly.

Also, Nketiah would start for us. Also, a title challenge where they threw away all cup competitions, had by far the least amount of lineup changes of anyone this season, and a "title challenge" where they will end the season closer to both 3rd and 4th place then they will to 1st place. Some title challenge.

Abraxas

Job very nearly done in the league. Maybe it was the minimum expectation, but it was also a fairly difficult one in view of our situation before the season started where we were a complete mess. It's a pretty tough job when your minimum expectation is as difficult to reach as top 4 is for this particular squad.

Wrap this one up with professionalism and full preperation for the cup final. We're going to need it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Don't forget the Maguire situation.. it's not easy to manage a squad where the experienced captain is demoted to a 4th choice CB. Has had to deal with a ton of issues this season. Crazy fixture congestion for a squad not prepared for it, not having time to actually train properly all season, having bottom half level players to pick from for cf... Getting top 4 comfortably and our cup success is a phenomenal outcome.
The Maguire situation means nothing TBH, Maguire has been professional, he hasn't thrown his toys out of the pram unlike a certain someone, if nothing else Maguire should get credit for that

bosnian_red

Do you just doubt for the sake of it?
He didn't say we scored enough goals did we? Scored plenty of goals doesn't mean he is happy with how many we scored. He says in that quote that we create plenty and we have to be more clinical. Do you misread for the sake of it?

Amir

Yep, I definitely think that is something that a lot of people underestimate. With two games a week almost every week this season, we've had very little time for true training sessions.
Yeah, I agree. I think a lot of the work Ten Hag needed to do was about instilling 'good habits' in our players, in order for them to play his football automatically. We've seen that happening for a while, but when things got too difficult in terms of match overload, injuries, etc, players inevitably returned to their old 'bad habits' because they are used to them too much. It just required more time on the training pitch.

bosnian_red

The Maguire situation means nothing TBH, Maguire has been professional, he hasn't thrown his toys out of the pram unlike a certain someone, if nothing else Maguire should get credit for that
For sure, but it's still a situation that needed handling. Many managers would feel pressured into playing him.

DownRiver

He didn't say we scored enough goals did we? Scored plenty of goals doesn't mean he is happy with how many we scored. He says in that quote that we create plenty and we have to be more clinical. Do you misread for the sake of it?
Stop playing semantics.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
For sure, but it's still a situation that needed handling. Many managers would feel pressured into playing him.
Maybe, but if some managers feel pressured in to playing someone then they're in the wrong job IMO

bosnian_red

Stop playing semantics.
I'm not. He never said he is happy with it. He said he feels we need to be more clinical. Today he said it's a theme that we don't score enough from the chances we create. Which is a fact. We're about 10 below our xG just from the past 10 games alone.

edcunited1878

Arteta has been there how long again? I’d expect them to be a more cohesive team, no?

Considering how people put Top4 on a pedestal & it’s taken multiple seasons for him to achieve this it’s not particularly a slight on EtH. Upwards next year I hope.
Lego Pep has inherited and bought Saka (academy) and Martinelli (cheap) and Odegaard (cheap). They all can score, assist/playmake.

They were able to tear it down and move out everyone who was a negative vibe/professional...Aboomerang, Pepe, Leno, etc

EtH hasn't had the full opportunity to breakdown this United squad, but it started w Ronaldo, Henderson, Bailly, benching of Maguire, he shall who not be named, etc.

Getting the right players out is so so important

Seveneric

I'm not. He never said he is happy with it. He said he feels we need to be more clinical. Today he said it's a theme that we don't score enough from the chances we create. Which is a fact. We're about 10 below our xG just from the past 10 games alone.
What is the interpretation of "I don't think it's a problem" other than he doesn't think goal scoring is a problem? (which it is)

Mindhunter

A really weird season. As at January it seemed unanimous that he was the one. But since then he has given big LVG vibes.

That isn't to say LVG was bad but he just never got to grips with what was needed to win the league. The summer targets and decisions with squad memebers will tell us a lot about if EtH has learnt anything from this season.

By getting top 4 he has achieved his target and with a cup you could say he's surpassed expectations. From next season though the demands will be greater, we'll need to see our team passing improve considerably and get closer to to mounting a PL challenge.

Very good first season but the jury is still out for me.
He is excellent and has done exceedingly well. We also have to realize that he is learning himself. It is his first season in the EPL. For comparison, see Klopp's or Guardiola's first season.

While we still had a level playing field with the others, we competed well. Only when the fixture congestion and injuries took the wind out of our sails did he seem to lose his bearings a bit. The bloke had to make do with signings like Wout and Sabitzer, players who can't make the playing 11 of their parent clubs.

The only improvement I would like to see from him is better squad management. He won't get away without that skill (unlike in the Dutch league). Very quickly he needs to learn how to make the most out of his squad. Also, his over reliance on Bruno needs to end fast.

Otherwise, he is the best manager that we can realistically get so it will make no sense to end his stint.

bosnian_red

What is the interpretation of "I don't think it's a problem" other than he doesn't think goal scoring is a problem? (which it is)
That we create plenty of chances (which we do), and I mean the amount of goals we score isn't a "big" problem as we've clearly still achieved all our objectives despite it, but he has repeatedly said that we need to be more clinical and score more goals from the chances we create, so I don't see why anyone is trying to pretend like he is ignoring it.

Matt851

Rashford and Garnacho are good but Garnacho is 18 and same position as Rashford.

Who cares about price, the reality is what these players are. Antony is good but first season in the prem and young and doesn't have end product. Martial was injured for the majority of the season and can't play 90 minutes and his own level is seriously compromised by injuries. Sancho is a wide creator who is too scared to create. Again the problem aren't our wingers anyway, it's a lack of a center forward which I should've clarified. The wingers are inconsistent but would improve with a proper CF. It's the most important position in football and there are 20 other forwards in the Premier league alone, if not more, who would improve us and start regularly.

Also, Nketiah would start for us. Also, a title challenge where they threw away all cup competitions, had by far the least amount of lineup changes of anyone this season, and a "title challenge" where they will end the season closer to both 3rd and 4th place then they will to 1st place. Some title challenge.
I care about price. If we are ever to become a top team again we can't keep massively overpaying for players. Also, if we sign average players on massive fees, we end up being stuck with them for many years. There is also the ffp factor to consider

The fact is we could have signed someone at least as good as Antony for half the price, and then we could have bought a striker as well

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That we create plenty of chances (which we do), and I mean the amount of goals we score isn't a "big" problem as we've clearly still achieved all our objectives despite it, but he has repeatedly said that we need to be more clinical and score more goals from the chances we create, so I don't see why anyone is trying to pretend like he is ignoring it.
They are playing semantics, poorly.

Yorke to Cole

Lego Pep has inherited and bought Saka (academy) and Martinelli (cheap) and Odegaard (cheap). They all can score, assist/playmake.

They were able to tear it down and move out everyone who was a negative vibe/professional...Aboomerang, Pepe, Leno, etc

EtH hasn't had the full opportunity to breakdown this United squad, but it started w Ronaldo, Henderson, Bailly, benching of Maguire, he shall who not be named, etc.

Getting the right players out is so so important
They have never encountered each other. It is nothing to do with Ten Hag. However, I bet he would like to have a player with that leve. Someone, that can use both feet when in possession of the ball.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It’s not though. The attack is diabolical. We’d have won that 4-0 with an attack that was firing / good. The caf loves to moan about everything.

After the hopeless 21/22 he’s got us top4, released the virus and won our first trophy in 6, and people here are still in depression.
Yep, apart from our front 6, everyone was amazing. That only leaves 60% of the outfield team to sort out.

bosnian_red

I care about price. If we are ever to become a top team again we can't keep massively overpaying for players. Also, if we sign average players on massive fees, we end up being stuck with them for many years. There is also the ffp factor to consider

The fact is we could have signed someone at least as good as Antony for half the price, and then we could have bought a striker as well
This is entirely irrelevant for anything in this conversation though. We are talking about what has Ten Hag achieved with what is at his disposal. You can't say player A was expensive therefore player A must be world class. The reality is that we have a very young, and a very mediocre attacking group. We have bottom half level strikers to pick from all season. Ten Hag has got top 4 and won a trophy and in another cup final despite barely premier league level strikers to pick from, and a bottom half PL goalkeeper as well (IMO).

The recruitment yes it should improve, it needs to improve. The amount we pay, wages and all that, has nothing to do with Ten Hag. Even the recruitment itself he shouldn't be more than "a part of it", rather than the person who takes on all of the pros and cons of it. His job is to coach the players he has, and advise what he needs, what type of player to achieve targets.

Yorke to Cole

How much do you think we could get if we sell him this Summer? He is under contract after all.
There seems to be momentum to him going out on loan. United will not be able to sell a player that has not played in what will approximately 18 months by the time next season comes around. I would be surprised if United dismissed him given how long they taken to make a decision (they initially said the process would only be a few weeks). So Arnold and others have changed their mind on that.

In legal terms, he has right to continue his career and go forward in his life as he has not been convicted of anything. He and his partner are also expecting a child. I am not sure what Ten Hag would personally like to do, I don't think it will be in his hands.

edcunited1878

It’s going to be an odd fit attacking wise because Sancho really should be our third choice Lw if we do get a striker but we would still only have Antony on the right.
I can see Sancho on the right behind Antony simply because playing a right footed player on the left is done mainly for their ability to cut in and get shots off on goal. Sancho doesn’t do that but maybe on the right he won’t cut back as much if he can ping it across to a Kane on his right foot.
Sancho is a very good team player, but because his direct outcomes as in goals and assists aren't seen compared to Marcus, he's deemed a poor player.

EtH is going to have to try and get the best out of Sancho because if they do via a formation change, position change, and Sancho clicks...it's a different ballgame. But the physical doubts and lack of explosiveness from Sancho may stop him for this team at this level.

With the addition of 2 CFs, the forward line is set due to the issues of ins and outs. There's a lack of quality depth behind Bruno, RW/RF, and CF/striker.

How EtH deals w Sancho in the next year or two will be important for the club. Antony I think has something about him and how it helps the team. Amad is showing a lot of promise for the next year or 2.

Jam

There seems to be momentum to him going out on loan. United will not be able to sell a player that has not played in what will approximately 18 months by the time next season comes around. I would be surprised if United dismissed him given how long they taken to make a decision (they initially said the process would only be a few weeks). So Arnold and others have changed their mind on that.

In legal terms, he has right to continue his career and go forward in his life as he has not been convicted of anything. He and his partner are also expecting a child. I am not sure what Ten Hag would personally like to do, I don't think it will be in his hands.
I mean it’s partially in his hands, if he doesn’t want him in the squad or at club facilities.

What will the board do? Force everyone to accommodate his presence and risk uproar?

And what then, if the club does manage to force everyone to accept Greenwood at training, and around the club, but ETH doesn’t include him in match day squads or the tactical training? The board going to issue an ultimatum, play Greenwood or be sacked?

Fine, sack ETH. Then tell any prospective new manager Greenwood HAS to be a contributing member of match day squads?

It really isn’t as simple as “the board” deem he stays and that’s that. There’s a massive element of other staff at the club even being willing to engage with or accommodate his presence. Let alone the coaching team and the players.

The Ferociousness

I'm not sold on the football, at the moment it's glorified ole ball but with better players, soak up pressure and hit teams on the break regardless how superior we our to the opposition along with questionable subs.

He's done a solid job securing top 4 and CC trophy, but needs big improvement next season in the market and performance to make me beliieve he can challenge with the likes pep for titles.

edcunited1878

They have never encountered each other. It is nothing to do with Ten Hag. However, I bet he would like to have a player with that leve. Someone, that can use both feet when in possession of the ball.
That player still has to be addressed formally and it's left United short of a talented player who happened to have an eye/talent for goals, but wasn't a positive person for the club.

Many times where neither him nor Marcus wanted to pass the ball to each other or just shoot at will.

Matt851

This is entirely irrelevant for anything in this conversation though. We are talking about what has Ten Hag achieved with what is at his disposal. You can't say player A was expensive therefore player A must be world class. The reality is that we have a very young, and a very mediocre attacking group. We have bottom half level strikers to pick from all season. Ten Hag has got top 4 and won a trophy and in another cup final despite barely premier league level strikers to pick from, and a bottom half PL goalkeeper as well (IMO).

The recruitment yes it should improve, it needs to improve. The amount we pay, wages and all that, has nothing to do with Ten Hag. Even the recruitment itself he shouldn't be more than "a part of it", rather than the person who takes on all of the pros and cons of it. His job is to coach the players he has, and advise what he needs, what type of player to achieve targets.
The amount we paid for Antony did have a lot to do with ten hag though, and it's ridiculous to say it didn't. We had offers in the region of 40-50m rejected and then went back for him late in the window because ten hag pushed for it. Given he also signed off on not getting gakpo because of the increased fee its simply not believable he didn't have any say on the final fee, even if he wasn't negotiating it.

I agree he should only be part of the recruitment process but he seemed to direct a lot of our activity last summer

Clearly, ten hags decision to focus so much of our funds on an average player in Antony had a big impact on the ineffectiveness of our front line

talking robot

Think he’s done really well given the shit show he inhereted, lack of talent and killer instinct throughout the squad, the ronaldo saga, and lack of support from the board in january (where it was obvious we need to recruit a striker). With a trophy in the bag, likely top four finish, and the FA final to come, he’s taken the team past what anyone could have expected this year. I just hope now he is utterly ruthless in clearing the decks, including players like maguire, sancho, and mctominay in the outgoings and not just the obvious choices like tuanzebe.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This.
Many United fans have forgotten that managers need time to build anything, everybody just wants instant success, but even the mighty pep guardiola with unlimited funds didn’t get that overnight. It takes time
How does not wanting to see Wout play significant minutes equals to wanting instant success ???

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ffs our "star" striker threw his toys out of the pram mid season and Ten Hag took a punt on one of the only strikers he had knowledge on who was available in January because funds are tight, and our scouting team have proven to be woefully unproductive so they probably didn't have anyone who would fit Ten Hag's style lined up of their own. It shouldn't be a manager's job, let alone in their first season outside of their home nation, to have to pick their squad but that's where we are right now. Blaming him for the poor and archaic structure at the club is getting really annoying.

Martial breaks if played too much, someone has to come on. For all of WW's flaws at least there isn't the risk that he'll panic like a youth player getting his debut in the men's first team, like some folk seem to be advocating. The whole "play the youth" thing barely pans out, and who is going to risk their first season, and miss out on CL, to do it?

Was WW the wrong choice in January? Definitely, but it's practically Ten Hag's only option other than Martial right now. He has no choice but to play him.

Anyway, back to discussing literally anything other than WW...
I don't agree. You always a choice of not playing the worst striker in the PL. Nothing forces him to do so. Playing with a false 9 would be better