g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik Ten Hag: Press Conference in Bangkok

Remember the geese

So he had a very good talk with Ronaldo and then Ronaldo quit? Not so good a talk was it then?

I dont like the I've only been here two weeks excuse for everything. Thats why you watch videos, speak to the people around the club no? Its basically saying give me a year just to assess what to do. Just say you are still deciding or something. For example - 'What position is best for Martial and Rashford? 'I dunno. I've only seen them 2 weeks.' Sounds ridiculous. Just say 'From what I have seen they are great players and their positions will be decided as I finalize the structure of the team in the coming weeks'
I tell you what, next time we should just stick you out there instead of ten Hag :houllier:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So he had a very good talk with Ronaldo and then Ronaldo quit? Not so good a talk was it then?

I dont like the I've only been here two weeks excuse for everything. Thats why you watch videos, speak to the people around the club no? Its basically saying give me a year just to assess what to do. Just say you are still deciding or something. For example - 'What position is best for Martial and Rashford? 'I dunno. I've only seen them 2 weeks.' Sounds ridiculous. Just say 'From what I have seen they are great players and their positions will be decided as I finalize the structure of the team in the coming weeks'
:lol:. I love how some fans take the answers as though its literall witness stand stuff

Infra-red

I don’t want to start judging ETH before we’ve kicked a ball but I’m gonna 100% judge him for he’s choice of captain. I think Maguire can be decent but with a massive price tag and captain of Manchester United tag puts pressure on him. ETH had the opportunity to give it to someone else. Not changing it has now got people questioning his logic and if he’s just another Glazer puppet…!
Who do you give it to? It's slim pickings. The main contenders are either injury prone, have doubts about their long term place in the team or have publicly declared that they wish to leave the club.

It's not the worst idea to leave it where it is and focus on the areas of change that really matter, like training the players to pass to a team mate this season.

UpWithRivers

You're thinking too much and making a too much of deal out of press conference.
You're talking about talking bollocks like he said I dont know what and then propose generic answers which dont answer absolutely anything.
Yeah positions of players take time. What should he do, know after 2 weeks exactly everything and say so. That's what preseason is for.
I dont remember him saying we cant sign anyone. Again, what should have he answered, we're working on 6 deals and we'll sign all 6.
Harry Maguire has achieved a lot is bollocks. Factually bollocks.
I've only been here two weeks I dont know anything about Rashford and Martial positions is bollocks. Either he is incompetent or talking shit. I could walk into Arsenal or any of the top clubs tomorrow and tell you where the players positions are. And if I didnt know I would ask the coaches.
Having a really good talk with Ronaldo is bollocks - Ronaldo quit the next day! Said he didnt believe that Man Utd wants to achieve the goals that he does.
I can go on and on.

Now as you say its just a press conference and in the big grand scheme of things I don't really care. But this thread is to give feedback on the press conference and therefore I call bollocks. Lets see him walk to walk because he cant talk the talk as far as I am concerned. But that's my opinion on a thread for opinions.

Will Singh

Yet another poster who thinks anyone that does not support their narrative, he is a glazer puppet.

So you would question a coach who has years of experience logic because he chose a captain that you dont like?
Did you even read what I wrote? When did I say I don’t like Maguire? When did I say I think ETH’s a puppet?? I said Maguire is decent you muppet, also I said people are now questioning he’s logic due to his choice of captaincy. This has now bought more pressure to the situation. Maybe before replying read and digest what’s been said…

OverratedOpinion

Not the most charismatic is he. But hopefully it won't matter if he entertains with his football.
I think that is part of his charm.

We have had Mourinho and Van Gal who could both do a 2 hour 1 man show and be great value. Ten Hag is not a **** of personality, he is a professional, respectable leader who is by all accounts incredible at modern football coaching.

It feels nice to be a little bit more low maintenance for once. The only concern I had was that the size of the job would overwhelm him but I actually think on reflection it did that more to someone like Mourinho because he is so invested in his own personality and ego.

JB7

I think you have got this wrong. Flex goes to home and away games, in the last 5 weeks he has been very balanced in his views, if you are comparing him to Goldbridge, you clearly making things up because he has not been negative or slating the club.
Why have you ignored the "years ago" and directly then pointed to "in the last 5 weeks"? I've got very little idea what he's said, similar to Goldbridge. Those channels aren't my cup of tea.

If others want to that's their choice and that's absolutely not the point I initially commented on which was that disliking someone off fan channels meant you were automatically racist because that is absolutely ridiculous.

Mickson

I've only been here two weeks I dont know anything about Rashford and Martial positions is bollocks. Either he is incompetent or talking shit. I could walk into Arsenal or any of the top clubs tomorrow and tell you where the players positions are. And if I didnt know I would ask the coaches.
Having a really good talk with Ronaldo is bollocks - Ronaldo quit the next day! Said he didnt believe that Man Utd wants to achieve the goals that he does.
I can go on and on.

Now as you say its just a press conference and in the big grand scheme of things I don't really care. But this thread is to give feedback on the press conference and therefore I call bollocks. Lets see him walk to walk because he cant talk the talk as far as I am concerned. But that's my opinion on a thread for opinions.
I think you're reading too much into it. He probably finds it very difficult to articulate himself clearly.

UpWithRivers

:lol:. I love how some fans take the answers as though its literall witness stand stuff
So you are allowed to read between the lines only if its positive? So if he says Maguire Captain you can make up that he is only saying that because he has no other choice and he needs morale and blah blah blah. And that's ok. But if you say he talking bollocks and he is forced to keep Maguire as Captain or he thinks Maguire is great then you cant do that because you are taking him literally? You cant have it both ways. No one is taking him literally. We are reading between the lines both negatively and positively

UpWithRivers

I think you're reading too much into it. He probably finds it very difficult to articulate himself clearly.
I dont want to go around and burn his house down. Im making a judgement on what he said like everyone.Failing to articulate etc is just another excuse. Maybe he is. Doesnt change the fact what he said was not exactly...Ill put this nicely....'good stuff'

Real Name

I can go on and on.

I'm not sure, do you think things he said today are bollocks?

GueRed

Maguire captain is a good and common sense choice.

The only other option for me was Bruno..

Will Singh

Who do you give it to? It's slim pickings. The main contenders are either injury prone, have doubts about their long term place in the team or have publicly declared that they wish to leave the club.

It's not the worst idea to leave it where it is and focus on the areas of change that really matter, like training the players to pass to a team mate this season.
I’d like De Gea to have it, he’s been here a long time, knows the club and the culture. He’s the only player who if was given the armband wouldn’t raise as much questions then giving it to Ronaldo who like you say we don’t know if he’s staying or going.

Keefy18

You're thinking too much and making a too much of deal out of press conference.
You're talking about talking bollocks like he said I dont know what and then propose generic answers which dont answer absolutely anything.
Yeah positions of players take time. What should he do, know after 2 weeks exactly everything and say so. That's what preseason is for.
I dont remember him saying we cant sign anyone. Again, what should have he answered, we're working on 6 deals and we'll sign all 6.
This is how the United manager job is though, he should know this coming into the role.

The two issues for me from the presser are

1) Harry and Success - Rewind 2 months ago Harry himself said something quite similar about keeping his role in the team because he was so good and he was rightly slaughtered for it. ETH, new or not shouldn't get a free pass.

2) The squad is good enough - It isn't. I appreciate that you can create a drilled system to cover 2-3 players in a well drilled system, but I reckon whatever line up he goes for in the season ahead he's still looking at probably 6 players that simply aren't good enough. AWB, Dalot, Shaw, Maguire (practically the whole defence), McFred and we've huge, huge questions marks over Rashford and Martial still and a whole bunch of untested young players.

These 2 sentiments are very Moyes / Ole-esque.

We've bold sold a fresh start with a hard nosed, no nonsense modern day manager and it very much feels all very nicey, nice so far and meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

OverratedOpinion

De Gea should have been our captain the moment Ashley Young left.

One of our only consistently top class players, has been here for longer than most, actually won a league with us and is a strong voice in the changing room by all accounts.

Mainoldo

Why does it have a racial undertone? Does it have a racial undertone for disliking Goldbridge for doing the exact same thing?

Flex & his company was pulled apart on Twitter years ago, if you must set yourself up as a "fancam" to make money off slating the club 24/7 then being an actual United fan would be a good start for your credibility - which is also why him & Goldbridge etc are "frauds". I don't like the fancams and the concept of them, never have, but I guess my relative ambivalence towards McKola because at least he's a genuine United fan must be rooted in racial undertones too?
Sorry I didn’t wake up with my dictionary today. Do you Or don’t you like Adam Mckola.

Keefy18

Bruno is most definitely not captain material! Far, far too soft!

We don't have natural leaders, at best DDG should be it as a short term fix.

Real Name

This is how the United manager job is though, he should know this coming into the role.

1) Harry and Success - Rewind 2 months ago Harry himself said something quite similar about keeping his role in the team because he was so good and he was rightly slaughtered for it. ETH, new or not shouldn't get a free pass.

2) The squad is good enough - It isn't. I appreciate that you can create a drilled system to cover 2-3 players in a well drilled system, but I reckon whatever line up he goes for in the season ahead he's still looking at probably 6 players that simply aren't good enough. AWB, Dalot, Shaw, Maguire (practically the whole defence), McFred and we've huge, huge questions marks over Rashford and Martial still and a whole bunch of untested young players.

We've bold sold a fresh start with a hard nosed, no nonsense modern day manager and it very much feels all very nicey, nice so far and meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Did he say the squad is strong enough?
Even if he did what did you expect him to say, squad is terrible, I dont know how to work with it.
You're taking too much of a deal of a presser and answers in it.
Cant believe you concluded its Moyes, Olesque from that answers.. Whats with patience and some of our fans.. We havent played a single game and yet you're here criticizing the guy for absolutely nothing.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I don’t want to start judging ETH before we’ve kicked a ball but I’m gonna 100% judge him for he’s choice of captain. I think Maguire can be decent but with a massive price tag and captain of Manchester United tag puts pressure on him. ETH had the opportunity to give it to someone else. Not changing it has now got people questioning his logic and if he’s just another Glazer puppet…!
Oh he doesn't agree with your opinion so he must be a Glazer puppet. Bore off.

JB7

Sorry I didn’t wake up with my dictionary today. Do you Or don’t you like Adam Mckola.
Don't mind him. Don't overly like what he does in terms of the fancam stuff but he tends to come across alright on the Overlap. So am I racist or not? :rolleyes:

UpWithRivers

The Maguire that had the worst season of his life. Captained the worst side in United's history. Captained a side that downed tools. Failed to take press conferences. Lost us games continuously with fk ups. Did the whole fingers in ears nonsense. Part of dressing room disruptions which as a captain is his job to control. Just recently did a fk up liking the tweet about Ronaldo taking a pay cut and then had to apologize. This guy? Sure give him another chance. Why not. Thats what Sir Alex would have done.

JB7

Even if he did what did you expect him to say, squad is terrible, I dont know how to work with it.
Cant believe you concluded its Moyes, Olesque from that answers.. Whats with patience and some of our fans.. We havent played a single game and yet you're here criticizing the guy for absolutely nothing.
Don't bother, honestly he's the type that would have been on here at 21:45 on 26 May 1999 saying we shouldn't be happy because the performance was shite.

Keefy18

He threw in a comment about the squad quality I believe at the back end of an answer about midfield signings.

These questions are not easy to answer, he can say a number of players have great qualities but they are not using them to their best ability last season, I expect much more from them as we go into the start of a new season.

Honestly, any manager saying our squad is quality and Harry a success after our recent history is gonna come out of it looking bad.

Real Name

He threw in a comment about the squad quality I believe at the back end of an answer about midfield signings.

These questions are not easy to answer, he can say a number of players have great qualities but they are not using them to their best ability last season, I expect much more from them as we go into the start of a new season.

Honestly, any manager saying our squad is quality and Harry a success after our recent history is gonna come out of it looking bad.
As I said to the other posters you're thinking too much about answers in a presser.

Keefy18

As I said to the other posters you're thinking too much about answers in a presser.
Not at all,

Again... If Ole said Harry has been a success in that presser after the season he's had, you'd lose your mind over it!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And somehow fans thinks EtH has obligation to speak truth or his mind with media :lol:

cyberman

But he might genuinely think the squad is good enough. The players might not have been suited to previous managers and sub par coaching and it’s almost a certainty that there will be players who will we all think is shite will surprise us.
As an example, United pushing up and pressing gives Fred less space to cover and allows for more intensive sprints. As we sit here we may think give us more midfielders but Ten Hag may think he can get something out of Fred we haven’t seen before.
I do t like what I’m typing but I can see why Ten Hag could look at this squad and may think there’s more for him to work with than we think

AFC NimbleThumb

Considering how shit he was last season, he should take a good look at himself before blaming others.
Exactly what I’ve been saying, he’s the human embodiment of teflon. The guy has had nothing short of an underwhelming 8 year spell yet at every point it’s someone else’s fault. Considering how many players get labelled as [enter problem here], the way this guy evades similar is astonishing. Always so vocal about what’s gone wrong when invariably his poor performances have been part of the issue.

Mainoldo

Don't mind him. Don't overly like what he does in terms of the fancam stuff but he tends to come across alright on the Overlap. So am I racist or not? :rolleyes:
I just don’t see how you like Adam but not Flex. They both come across as nice normal guys doing the same thing.

Maybe take the Goldbridge stigma away from Flex and watch some of his content. You might like it… he’s nothing like Goldbridge and Howson.

I didn’t call you a racist by the way. You took it upon yourself to take it personally.

Keefy18

But he might genuinely think the squad is good enough. The players might not have been suited to previous managers and sub par coaching and it’s almost a certainty that there will be players who will we all think is shite will surprise us.
As an example, United pushing up and pressing gives Fred less space to cover and allows for more intensive sprints. As we sit here we may think give us more midfielders but Ten Hag may think he can get something out of Fred we haven’t seen before.
I do t like what I’m typing but I can see why Ten Hag could look at this squad and may think there’s more for him to work with than we think
If he genuinely thinks that, we're fecked. Period!

This squad of players will not, under any circumstances compete with City and Liverpool. It's absolutely mind boggling to think that. Klopp and Pep would not work with the majority of these players thinking they can win leagues with them and I'm absolutely certain of it!

Will some players improve, sure. That's a given. Others will drop off.

As I said above, just give a middling answer about there are lot of qualities within the squad, sadly that was not shown last season, I expect much more going forward.

Real Name

Ah OK so you think he had a successful season then.
If that's the standard you set for United fair enough.
Who, Ole?
How do you make these kind of conclusions. :lol:
Just cause I wouldnt go crazy about those kind of answers doednt mean he had a successful season. Chill.

dubplate warrior

They kept asking about Ronaldo because while he is mostly giving a straight bat on a couple of occasions he did drop a tiny bit more information, nothing overly interesting but I'd say enough for them to believe they might get a proper quote if they kept at it. However he handles himself well, he's clear and concise and I particularly enjoyed his calmness when they were pushing the issue.

Disliking one of the frauds off a shite fan channel makes you a racist?
What exactly makes him a fraud? He asked one of the few non Ronaldo related questions out of the whole bunch.

Flexdegea

The few statements I've seen from this presser are embarrassing.

Maguire and success in the same statement?

Oof!

So much for being a tough nut and a fresh start.

Your constant negative posting about every single topic club related is getting embarrassing :lol:

Chill out, why you expecting him to throwing petrol bomb in front of the media onto the team we are left with especially when they at
their lowest.

Makes no sense, he going to have to use Maguire etc rest of season,

JB7

I just don’t see how you like Adam but not Flex. They both come across as nice normal guys doing the same thing.

Maybe take the Goldbridge stigma away from Flex and watch some of his content. You might like it… he’s nothing like Goldbridge and Howson.

I didn’t call you a racist by the way. You took it upon yourself to take it personally.
Like I say, the issue with Flex was him and Rants being outed a long time ago as not United fans. If that was incorrect then that's on me. I've never been keen on the product put out by any of the YouTubers, be it ones I definitely don't like such as Goldbridge or ones I don't care either way for like McKola. They obviously have a place because they make money out of it, but it's not content for me.

And you said that Flex being there and asking a question would only annoy racists, so yeah I did take issue with that.