Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

the_cliff

Based on the comments he's made, Sancho seems to be under the impression that performances don't matter because the manager has favourites like Antony that he will stick with regardless of performance. Can't say I disagree with Sancho on this point, considering how many poor performances certain players have gotten away with without losing their spot in the first 11.
And what of Sancho's incredible performances ?

He's acting as if he's been better than Antony when he hasn't. Antony for all his faults at least looks like he can be bothered to run.

Sancho can't be arsed to put in effort nevermind perform well. Sancho is in his third season here now, Antony last season was miles better than Sancho's first or even second season, that's how shite he's been.

HookedOnAPhelan

You don't know Sancho in person and whether you like him or not you don't have any right to say he isn't suffering from depression or mental issues. You and nobody else on here knows anything about it.
No, but Ten Hag and the club presumably have a pretty good idea, and they don't seem to be acting as if he does, so I think it's reasonable to assume this has nothing to do with mental health, and everything to do with Sancho simply being petulant, immature and unprofessional. There's certainly nothing that suggests otherwise, especially given Sancho's history.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I'd say there is a worse outcome: ETH bends and then training across the squad gets poorer. Other players have strops. Quality falls.

That's why ETH can't back down. It's not just about Sancho, it's about precedent.
I do kind of agree - it's why ten Hag's hands are tied, but maybe there's a lesson for him there on how NOT to get into this situation in the first place.

But I have to say, if Utd have players (currently training well and being picked for the first team), who are watching this develop and will start to drop their standards if/when JS is reintegrated, then I think they are the wrong players to be playing for a club with the expectations you have. I think at some point he'll have to trust his players to train and play properly, regardless of what happens to Sancho, and I think he'll have to rely on their own personal character/motivation.

KjaAnd

This just feels like a dick swinging contest now. Any apology would be absolutely contrived, and largely meaningless, so it’s just a game of chicken.
I don’t think it is. It’s not about the apology per se but whether Sancho is committed enough to the project to take a hard look at himself and accept responsibility for the situation. If he won’t, he sure as hell won’t take responsibility on the pitch (which he basically confirms every time he plays).

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Based on the comments he's made, Sancho seems to be under the impression that performances don't matter because the manager has favourites like Antony that he will stick with regardless of performance. Can't say I disagree with Sancho on this point, considering how many poor performances certain players have gotten away with without losing their spot in the first 11.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I just find this insane - I'm shocked there's people defending a player who is allegedly not bothering turning up to training and playing video games until the early morning like a 13 year old.

Ten Hag is the manager ffs! If a manager prefers another player in your position then maybe you should look at your own performances and application. You can debate all you like about who has been better out of Antony / Sancho but the one thing you can't fault Antony for is effort and commitment. I have never seen Sancho "fight for the badge" as per his tweet - he is one of the most placid players I have ever seen, the odd nice touch and flick but fullbacks must love playing against him - just show a bit of aggression/strength and Sancho will go hiding.

You're saying he will be a success and have motivation to prove people wrong after this if he moves- what is this fantasy based on? You'd have thought he'd have motivation when he got the move to United that he wanted - but we've barely seen him break a sweat both under Ole, Rangnick and ten Hag. He is destined for Saudi - easily life and pick up your pay cheque

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He obviously isn't. There's no way Ten Hag and the club would've been so tough with him if he was depressed or had other issues, they would've done everything to protect him instead.
Mate, this is an absolutely awful take. I can only assume you really don't have much experience of mental health and the responses of big organisations to it. Don't take it personally, but honestly, try to find a way to understand this issue better.

Dazzmondo

He's acting as if he's been better than Antony when he hasn't. Antony for all his faults at least looks like he can be bothered to run.

Sancho can't be arsed to put in effort nevermind perform well. Sancho is in his third season here now, Antony last season was miles better than Sancho's first or even second season, that's how shite he's been.
Sancho was pretty good in pre-season tbf and never really got his chance to show he could deliver once the actual season began. I agree that his performances for the most part have been very poor though. Still, so have Antony's and many other players. It's good that Antony presses, but that alone doesn't justify starting repeatedly. You need to deliver end product too. You could get loads of cheap crap players who run if that was enough. Dan James would still be a starter with this mindset. Sancho did still outscore Antony last season while also producing more chances and assists in less minutes despite being poor himself.

Jeffthered

Sancho was pretty good in pre-season tbf and never really got his chance to show he could deliver once the actual season began. I agree that his performances for the most part have been very poor though. Still, so have Antony's and many other players. It's good that Antony presses, but that alone doesn't justify starting repeatedly. You need to deliver end product too. You could get loads of cheap crap players who run if that was enough. Dan James would still be a starter with this mindset. Sancho did still outscore Antony last season while also producing more chances and assists in less minutes despite being poor himself.
Both of these players are not what we want at the club. We'll be fine, perfectly fine this season without the both of them.

Just leave them.

Jev

There's absolutely no denying that Antony has gotten a longer leash and been allowed more poor performances than Sancho (and several others). That's why this situation is a bit more complex than it's being portrayed by some; in accusing ten Hag of favouritism, Sancho absolutely has a point.

HookedOnAPhelan

Mate, this is an absolutely awful take. I can only assume you really don't have much experience of mental health and the responses of big organisations to it. Don't take it personally, but honestly, try to find a way to understand this issue better.
Again, ridiculously cynical. You must think Ten Hag is a complete dickhead then. And this also assumes that the rest of the squad would be fine with their team mate being treated like this while struggling with his mental health.

It doesn't even make sense from an economic standpoint to treat him like this if he had mental health issues, which is what you seem to insinuate.

Last edited:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He must have some chip on his shoulder then because he could just motivate himself to play here.
Seems rational, the vast majority of people could. So how do you respond to it if he genuinely can't? Do you just choose to not understand it? Or do you wonder if there's something going on that you maybe don't understand, but could if you tried?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Again, ridiculously cynical. You must think Ten Hag is a complete dickhead then. And this also assumes that the rest of the squad would be fine with their team mate being treated like this while struggling with his mental health.
It wouldn't even take a huge amount of effort for you to understand how you may have got this badly wrong. Please don't be one of those people who feels they have to double down on an already ignorant stance. Hell, it's not even a criticism of you personally, you are doing what half the country does. As a nation we're grossly under-informed about things like this, and repeatedly make the same mistakes and assumptions that you just have.

Judas

Open to offers
There's absolutely no denying that Antony has gotten a longer leash and been allowed more poor performances than Sancho (and several others). That's why this situation is a bit more complex than it's being portrayed by some; in accusing ten Hag of favouritism, Sancho absolutely has a point.
But even Antony at his least productive worse, he’s delivered more of what Ten Hag clearly wants. The two aren’t even competing for the same position anyway as it seems Sancho doesn’t want to play on the right anyway.

Dazzmondo

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I just find this insane - I'm shocked there's people defending a player who is allegedly not bothering turning up to training and playing video games until the early morning like a 13 year old.

Ten Hag is the manager ffs! If a manager prefers another player in your position then maybe you should look at your own performances and application. You can debate all you like about who has been better out of Antony / Sancho but the one thing you can't fault Antony for is effort and commitment. I have never seen Sancho "fight for the badge" as per his tweet - he is one of the most placid players I have ever seen, the odd nice touch and flick but fullbacks must love playing against him - just show a bit of aggression/strength and Sancho will go hiding.

You're saying he will be a success and have motivation to prove people wrong after this if he moves- what is this fantasy based on? You'd have thought he'd have motivation when he got the move to United that he wanted - but we've barely seen him break a sweat both under Ole, Rangnick and ten Hag. He is destined for Saudi - easily life and pick up your pay cheque
Not saying Sancho hasn't been wrong in this also. Obviously he should be turning up for training on time (the rest of what he does in his spare time I don't care, plenty of Utd legends went out partying all the time, so I don't see why playing computer games is worse).

Sancho seems to believe he has been applying himself and delivering good performances in training. None of us really know whether his training performances have been good or not because we don't see them. It could be a case that they've always been bad, or it could be a case that they were good, but the quality dropped over time as Sancho felt his levels didn't actually matter because he still wasn't getting his chance in the team. Considering Sancho has claimed to have mental health problems, this would also have a massive impact, as it's not easy to just forget all that stuff and continue like nothing's happened. We saw something similar happen with Rashford the season before last. This will always impact performances and motivation, even if just subconsciously.

My thoughts that he could do well at another club are based on the fact that he's already done well for another club in the past. He was the 2nd best player in the Bundesliga when we signed him. Sometimes players and clubs aren't a fit for whatever reason. I doubt he suddenly thinks "it didn't work out at Utd, oh well might as well give up on this football career thing". I'm sure he'll find another club that isn't in Saudi. Dortmund are already heavily linked.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Well, when I was depressed I used to stay up deep into the night and would play videogames. Whatever it took in order to avoid having to try to sleep, really. So mental health issues could very much be the cause to this. Not saying it is. But it would make sense.

HookedOnAPhelan

It wouldn't even take a huge amount of effort for you to understand how you may have got this badly wrong. Please don't be one of those people who feels they have to double down on an already ignorant stance. Hell, it's not even a criticism of you personally, you are doing what half the country does. As a nation we're grossly under-informed about things like this, and repeatedly make the same mistakes and assumptions that you just have.
You couldn't be more condescending if you tried.

But let me get this straight: Your theory is that Ten Hag and the club know that Sancho is dealing with mental health issues, and instead of taking him out of the firing line and getting him help (which would not only be the decent thing to do, but also economically smart), they've decided to tank his value by painting him as unprofessional and kicking him off the team? And the rest of the team have tacitly accepted this treatment of a team mate? Yep, that makes sense.

I'll concede that it's possible that Sancho is having mental health struggles, and that the club is simply unaware of it, but again I think it's natural to assume that the club has considered that possibility before taking these steps.

Last edited:

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
There doesn't appear to be a winner in a situation like this.
Manchester are without his services and his resale value is being de-valued.
Sancho is looking like a spoilt kid who is impacting his own future in the game.

AdNani

He didn’t though? Antony scored 7 goals last year. Not great, but Sancho also got 7 and has scored 10 goals in all competitions in 2 full seasons. If/When Antony is back in the squad he’ll be more productive than Sancho whilst putting 150% more effort.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is nonsense. The club and manager don't get to decide whether someone is suffering from depression/mental issues or not, and in general mental health has never been a high priority for clubs in the past. They just treat them as financial assets that either deliver or don't, and if they don't deliver, they're not worth anything.
Sure, but at the same time... what can they actually do? They should support the player and help them through it of course while they're employed by you. As we did last season for whatever happened. But it doesn't mean you get a free pass at showing up late or playing like shit or training like shit. The bar for professionalism doesn't change if someone has mental health issues. They still need to keep up the same level as others if they want to play the same as others. How they are handled outside the pitch is a different matter.

In this instance... ten hag simply said others did better in training so others were in the squad over him. Sancho then made his social media post and caused this whole thing. You just can't use mental health as an excuse for those actions. Maybe mental health is the reason he isn't training well, but then simply accept you aren't going to be pick for as long as you are like that.

Dazzmondo

He didn’t though? Antony scored 7 goals last year. Not great, but Sancho also got 7 and has scored 10 goals in all competitions in 2 full seasons. If/When Antony is back in the squad he’ll be more productive than Sancho whilst putting 150% more effort.
I was just counting the PL because it's easier to track mins (and Antony played for Ajax last season which makes it harder to use fbref). In the PL, Sancho got 6 goals and 3 assists, with an expected goal involvement of 0.45 per 90, while Antony got 4 goals and 2 assists with an expected goal involvement of 0.40 per 90. I can see that for all competitions, even including Antony's Ajax games, Sancho still has a higher expected goal involvement per 90.

Artimities

If the stories are true about certain members of the team having a chat with him... well good for the team is all I can say. Mental health is a serious issue, but no one player... and I mean NO one player is bigger than the team. He has to use maturity to get to a better place. Blaming the manager is not the way and honestly is tarnishing his worth.

If he truly is having issues, then lashing out at the coach and leaving your teammates behind is not how you handle it. Maybe he needs better people around him?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Even if he is suffering from mental health problems, or which there is no evidence, that doesn't stop him from being a total dickhead and took the huff when the manager told him to work harder in training.

There's a limit to what is suitable in a professional environment. He's responsible for his absence in the squad, he's making his team mates pick up the slack, he's had preferential treatment in the past and it looks like none of it has ever made a damn bit of difference. Then he's staying up late playing games or flying to parties in New York? Nah, feck that for a laugh. And, again, that's even assuming that he's even struggling with anything personal.

Rolaholic

If those players perform well in training and are out there giving 100% effort on the pitch as well then it's hard to displace them unless other players are doing the same along with outplayed them on the pitch.

Sancho hasn't come close to the latter while reportedly not being much of a training warriors either so it's ridiculous to expect a place in the XI without earning one even when others are struggling.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
You couldn't be more condescending if you tried.

But let me get this straight: Your theory is that Ten Hag and the club know that Sancho is dealing with mental health issues, and instead of taking him out of the firing line and getting him help (which would not only be the decent thing to do, but also economically smart), they've decided to tank his value by painting him as unprofessional and kicking him off the team? And the rest of the team have tacitly accepted this treatment of a team mate? Yep, that makes sense.

I'll concede that it's possible that Sancho is having mental health struggles, and that the club is simply unaware of it, but again I think it's natural to assume that the club has considered that possibility before taking these steps.
Apologies, my aim is not to be condescending.

I don't have a theory, because I don't think it's possible to come to any kind of conclusion unless you are both a) qualified to make a mental health diagnosis, and b) you have direct access to the people concerned. Remember, it's not me who is the one making assumptions based on limited knowledge and zero interaction with anyone involved. The majority of your post seems to be a creation to allow you to then attack a stance that I've never taken.

It's great that you now acknowledge that he may be suffering from a mental health condition which may not have been diagnosed either from inside or outside the club.

caid

It sounds like he does based on his comments. Whether it's true or not, his comments seem to indicate pretty obviously to me at least that he believes ETH has his favourites and treats them differently than others. Because of this, in Sancho's mind, if a favourite underperforms they're going to be given significantly more leeway than if a non-favourite has 30 mins and underperforms (or maybe even outperforms a favourite).
I'm a bit wary of this argument. Why wouldn't the manager have favourites? Hes going to rate some players more than others.
Whatever about Antony's talent, his mentality on the pitch is generally an asset. If we need to sub off a winger and one is the top scorer with 30 goals and the other is you on 8 or so - guess who's going off. I dont think Ten Hag always loves Rashford but he still starts him every match. Certainly didn't love Wan Bisakka but hes in pretty regular use these days and people, rightly, seem a lot more positive about him nowadays.
The manager doesn't need to love every player and Sancho has never made much of a case for playing more than he does.

HookedOnAPhelan

Apologies, my aim is not to be condescending.

I don't have a theory, because I don't think it's possible to come to any kind of conclusion unless you are both a) qualified to make a mental health diagnosis, and b) you have direct access to the people concerned. Remember, it's not me who is the one making assumptions based on limited knowledge and zero interaction with anyone involved. The majority of your post seems to be a creation to allow you to then attack a stance that I've never taken.

It's great that you now acknowledge that he may be suffering from a mental health condition which may not have been diagnosed either from inside or outside the club.
Well that's true of absolutely everyone. But if there's no evidence of it, why speculate? Especially when there's a mountain of evidence pointing to him simply being immature and unprofessional.

Artimities

Like a poster stated above.
Last year, ETH allowed Sancho to leave the team and handle his business for 3 months. Three months while we are trying to get the squad in order from one of our worst finishes in the Premier League. The team fans and ETH needed Sancho then, and he wasnt there.

a year later and its potentially the same shit. He is having issues and is upset with playing time. If anybody knows his work ethic, its the manager and I dont blame him for taking a harder stance this season.

Sancho is letting his team mates down, the fans and the coach. Its hard to give him a pass when you look at the bigger picture.

Dazzmondo

Sure, but at the same time... what can they actually do? They should support the player and help them through it of course while they're employed by you. As we did last season for whatever happened. But it doesn't mean you get a free pass at showing up late or playing like shit or training like shit. The bar for professionalism doesn't change if someone has mental health issues. They still need to keep up the same level as others if they want to play the same as others. How they are handled outside the pitch is a different matter.

In this instance... ten hag simply said others did better in training so others were in the squad over him. Sancho then made his social media post and caused this whole thing. You just can't use mental health as an excuse for those actions. Maybe mental health is the reason he isn't training well, but then simply accept you aren't going to be pick for as long as you are like that.
I still stand by what I said when ETH first made those comments in the press conference, don't say that shit in public. It doesn't help things and it caused this circus. Keep the criticism behind closed doors. It's not like we had a strong bench that game, it was clearly done to send a message. Sancho undoubtedly made his social media post in response to all the angry messages and abuse he was getting on social media following ETH's comments. Wrong thing to do, but in the moment, I get why he did it, especially when he feels like he isn't being treated the same way others are (whether that's reality or not).

While you'd like to think players will remain professional and work hard in training all the time, that's not reality. Scholes is generally considered a top professional, but he refused to train and play a game after not being selected against Arsenal. Sometimes it happens. I don't know how long these training performances have actually been an issue. If I remember correctly, Rangnick actually said Sancho was great in training, but then on the pitch didn't replicate it. If it's down to him being annoyed at not getting selected when he believes he should on previous training performances, I can see why his performances might have dropped, even if unintentionally. This could also be related to something he said to ETH instead of his actual training performances (again, very normal for players to get angry and frustrated and say things that could annoy the manager).

We're relying on he-said she-said for the most part. We don't know the full story right now.

RuudTom83

It's hard to take the mental health card serious in this case...just comes across as a very convenient excuse, even more so when you look at the lads history.

But I fully expect the media to lap it up and hammer the club for it...it's all fuel to keep the circus rolling.

Cantonagotmehere

I was just counting the PL because it's easier to track mins (and Antony played for Ajax last season which makes it harder to use fbref). In the PL, Sancho got 6 goals and 3 assists, with an expected goal involvement of 0.45 per 90, while Antony got 4 goals and 2 assists with an expected goal involvement of 0.40 per 90. I can see that for all competitions, even including Antony's Ajax games, Sancho still has a higher expected goal involvement per 90.
I think we have to include work rate, tracking back etc... too. I guess depends how much that matters to the manager/fans.

Dazzmondo

If those players perform well in training and are out there giving 100% effort on the pitch as well then it's hard to displace them unless other players are doing the same along with outplayed them on the pitch.

Sancho hasn't come close to the latter while reportedly not being much of a training warriors either so it's ridiculous to expect a place in the XI without earning one even when others are struggling.
We don't know how good these players' levels are in training. Maybe Antony's great in training. He also might not be. He certainly hasn't been good when he's played for the most part. ETH ultimately insisted on this signing being made, and it cost the club massive money. He has other motives to play Antony than just performances and effort. In many ways, it reflects badly on him to waste so much money on a player that then isn't good enough to play. Sancho in comparison wasn't signed by him, so isn't a reflection on ETH if he doesn't play.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
They are saying (Twitter folks) , Sancho deactivated his Instagram page because he wasn't invited for the barbecue night by ETH :D

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Well that's true of absolutely everyone. But if there's no evidence of it, why speculate? Especially when there's a mountain of evidence pointing to him simply being immature and unprofessional.
Because your original post said

"He obviously isn't. There's no way Ten Hag and the club would've been so tough with him if he was depressed or had other issues"

You made a point of actively denying it, and you did that from a position of having no experience to diagnose, and no knowledge of the individual. That's what I was responding to. The fact that you've since changed your point of view is great, but let's not dress this up - that's what you initially said.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It's hard to take the mental health card serious in this case...just comes across as a very convenient excuse, even more so when you look at the lads history.

But I fully expect the media to lap it up and hammer the club for it...it's all fuel to keep the circus rolling.
Him having mental health issues wouldn’t mean he’s not in the wrong. You can have bad mental health and still be in the wrong about stuff.
We don’t know what his reasons are. He’s not communicating them to us. But to suggest that mental health issues are just an excuse is not ok. That’s something that should only be suggested when there are very convincing reasons to think so. And I don’t believe we’re there yet with Sancho. On the contrary. His behaviour is very consistent with depression and other illnesses. The long nights, the way he alienates people and his drop off in work performance are actually extremely common symptoms of many mental health issues.
Again, I’m not absolving him of any wrongdoing here. But I really believe you should rethink your stance and the way you voice it. The stigma on mental health issues is still too big to be so carefree with allegations like these. There can be valid criticism voiced about Sancho without portraying possible mental health issues as an excuse.

Polar

Both are offended by the others comments in media. ETH wants an apology from Sancho and visa versa. Poor handling from both of them, but I expect more from a leader.

Proudness, the idea about setting an example and demanding an apology has resulted in a stalemate which remind me about the Bale situation in Real Madrid.

Letting £70 millions or a person rot away is neither a very cleaver business strategy nor a good way to threat an employee. When that’s said United isn’t best in class to creat win-win in these kind of situations.

Dazzmondo

I think we have to include work rate, tracking back etc... too. I guess depends how much that matters to the manager/fans.
Ya, work rate is still important for sure. Don't think either option has offered enough really to be a starter for Utd. I do think Antony's been given too much game time considering his performances though. If anything, I'd like to see Mount there instead of the cm role he was bought for. I could see him working much better on the right. Pellistri hasn't been given as many chances to prove himself as he should imo, and I'd say the same for Garnacho this season. So even if we ignore Sancho, these are other players that similarly haven't been given the same chances as Antony. I suspect it will be a similar situation with Diallo when he's back fit also.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Both are offended by the others comments in media. ETH wants an apology from Sancho and visa versa. Poor handling from both of them, but I expect more from a leader.

Proudness, the idea about setting an example and demanding an apology has resulted in a stalemate which remind me about the Bale situation in Real Madrid.

Letting £70 millions or a person rot away is neither a very cleaver business strategy nor a good way to threat an employee. When that’s said United isn’t best in class to creat win-win in these kind of situations.
Ten Hag - "Do better in training."
Sancho - "How dare you."
Ten Hag - "Ok, my mistake. Please carry on being shit."

Something like that?

RedDevil@84

Let the guy who is paid more call the shots then. Player wins almost every time.

mintyred

Only Rashford and Bruno scored more than him last season in the PL, and I think (might be wrong) that even Bruno wouldn’t be ahead if it wasn’t for penalties. And I’m sure he played way less minutes than those two to get there. There’s 101 questions about all aspects of his game, attitude, and general health. But it definitely feels like people are now trying to represent him as having done absolutely nothing, no contribution whatsoever, when that’s not really the case.
He hasn't done anything for the club, not one thing. If Sancho is classed as having done something for the club then our standards have dropped off a cliff. Scoring 6 goals last season isn't anything to rave about when you come with the reputation he has. His contribution to the club or lack of has been embarrassing.

the_cliff

He was bang average in pre season. The problem with people is Sancho does a couple nice touches in a game and start acting as if he's become Wayne Rooney in his prime. I can count Sancho's good games for us that he's started in on one hand.

And when you're trying to become a pressing team it does justify starting repeatedly. Now whether you agree that we should become a pressing team or not is an entirely different subject but when wanting to become a pressing team you will always choose the player that can actually press over the one that can't. Even if the one that can't is easier on the eye. Sancho may be a lot better than Antony technically but if he thinks he's too good to press and carry out his managers instructions he won't play. end of.

When he wants to press like Antony he'd start every bloody game but he won't so he'll feck off in Jan and go play for a team that will never be serious about winning anything. Football has changed, he's not Messi where he thinks he can be in a top team and not work off the ball, no one is having it anymore.