Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Real Name

Ten Hag comes across as a 'big fish in a small pond' manager. He could probably win the Eredivisie 20+ times if he just stayed at Ajax but he's not got the deft man-management skills needed in a club outside his comfort zone.

His way of relating to the players is probably exactly the same as it was at Ajax, where you can probably be a little dictatorial and get away with it. He's sticking to his principles rigidly but he's also got to figure out that the footballing culture here is a different kettle of fish.
This dictatorship stuff is so silly and completely made up. He made a comment about him not putting up a performance in training and you made conclusion about a fekin dictatorship out of it. Its Sancho who's in the wrong and ETH dealt with it. Your suggestion would probably be to let him be, take the money and make the piss out of the club.

gregor

Despite the team's poor performances, we hardly miss him. That says a lot...

SambaBoy

He has to go in January. What a weak mentality from him. The fact he's thinks he's a scapegoat is laughable, he's been given numerous chances. Is he really going home from games thinking 'Yeah I've done well there'. He's been nothing sort of shocking apart from a few games and rather than prove himself and turn it round he's just thrown in the towel.

And who's advising him - to basically go on strike and put out that statement? Are they not sitting him down saying 'You cost the club £70m, they've put a lot of faith in you, allowed you time off etc but you haven't really performed, you need to do better'.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Part of the manager's role is to get the best out of his players when things aren't going perfectly. Some players deserve a rollicking, others need an arm round. Fergie was a master at this. He knew which buttons to press with each player.

Surely, ETH's public ridiculing of Sancho was intended to get the best out of the player. It clearly failed spectacularly.

I think if the manager had his time again, he'd refrain from slating Sancho to the media.

Sancho's questionable attitude aside, ETH has failed to get the best out of his player on the training pitch or on the field. That can't be denied. He then loses his composure and slates his player publicly and the relationship is unsalvageable.

Horrendous man-management.
“on his performance in training we didn't select him." is hardly publicly ridiculing him

Its not like the gaffer had him in the middle of the pitch at Old Trafford singing “You're sh*t and you know you are…” at him over the PA

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
“on his performance in training we didn't select him." is hardly publicly ridiculing him

Its not like the gaffer had him in the middle of the pitch at Old Trafford singing “You're sh*t and you know you are…” at him over the PA
I'd pay to see that.

Pronewbie

Peep
Ten Hag comes across as a 'big fish in a small pond' manager. He could probably win the Eredivisie 20+ times if he just stayed at Ajax but he's not got the deft man-management skills needed in a club outside his comfort zone.

His way of relating to the players is probably exactly the same as it was at Ajax, where you can probably be a little dictatorial and get away with it. He's sticking to his principles rigidly but he's also got to figure out that the footballing culture here is a different kettle of fish.
Pretty sure Pep and SAF are more dictatorial too. It's called setting standards. You can add plenty of other top leaders to the list.

talking robot

I back Ten Hag here. Sancho should just respond to the criticism by putting in a higher level of performance in training and in matches. If he can't do that, then everyone's better off with him leaving. We're pretty well stocked in the position(s) he plays in anyway.

astracrazy

Part of the manager's role is to get the best out of his players when things aren't going perfectly. Some players deserve a rollicking, others need an arm round. Fergie was a master at this. He knew which buttons to press with each player.

Surely, ETH's public ridiculing of Sancho was intended to get the best out of the player. It clearly failed spectacularly.

I think if the manager had his time again, he'd refrain from slating Sancho to the media.

Sancho's questionable attitude aside, ETH has failed to get the best out of his player on the training pitch or on the field. That can't be denied. He then loses his composure and slates his player publicly and the relationship is unsalvageable.

Is that you Sancho? :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He has to go in January. What a weak mentality from him. The fact he's thinks he's a scapegoat is laughable, he's been given numerous chances. Is he really going home from games thinking 'Yeah I've done well there'. He's been nothing sort of shocking apart from a few games and rather than prove himself and turn it round he's just thrown in the towel.

And who's advising him - to basically go on strike and put out that statement? Are they not sitting him down saying 'You cost the club £70m, they've put a lot of faith in you, allowed you time off etc but you haven't really performed, you need to do better'.
If he was well advised, he would never have joined the club. It's best for all parties to just end this chapter I guess. United was stupid to sign him and Sancho was stupid to join United.

Baneofthegame

Quick reminder

A humiliation indeed.

Infra-red

Sancho vs Manchester United is more apt. He's been shite since he arrived and should be embarrassed about his performances but somehow has the gall to publicly undermine the manager and then refuse to apologise? Get rid asap.

RuudTom83

I can't say I have any faith that the board will be able to shift Jadon in January. They had all summer to move players on and only managed to get Fred out of the door with 1 year remaining on his contract.

Good luck getting a half decent fee for Sancho when he has 3 years remaining and a very fat wage.

Gavinb33

The post about humiliation/ridicule and even Sancho's response is part of a wider thing that's been happening in and around the workplace for the last few years the younger generation have no emotional resilience, when something like this happens the thing to do in my mind would be to prove the person wrong not go complain about it on the Internet or in the case of a few posters on here make claims about humiliation

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The post about humiliation/ridicule and even Sancho's response is part of a wider thing that's been happening in and around the workplace for the last few years the younger generation have no emotional resilience, when something like this happens the thing to do in my mind would be to prove the person wrong not go complain about it on the Internet or in the case of a few posters on here make claims about humiliation
Yeah, the young people who come into my company are just, well, useless.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Looking back at this, ETH said nothing controversial, Sancho bit on it, probably when surrounded by his mates on his massive house, trying to show off and now we are where we are.

Get rid, he's useless anyway and will amount to very little.

Crimson King

Doesn't get more petulant and immature than the reply from Sancho over this, sabotaged his United career needlessly.
I think you could say he sabotaged it on purpose to make it easier to get out.

I really think this is nothing else but an excuse from him and his agent to try and make would be suitors forget Sancho's performances for the last 2 years.

bazza3727

I'd say Sancho is massively at fault. But he's not the only one at fault. Players having a cr@p attitude under ETH is becoming a problem. He seems to struggle to prevent players from downing tools when it gets tough.
Like they did against Brentford? Get real.

talking robot

I said it the day this began - this ends with one of them leaving. However, January is still months away, and it remains to be seen who it will be.

Unless it's both.
we’re lucky if we get 60 million for him. i dont think he’s actually worth anywhere near that much.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's so incredibly benign.

Sancho is an idiot, and it's very telling that nobody is missing him, despite the fact that the team is struggling to score goals.
It really was. Basically any other player not selected in the squad for any game is in the same situation (performance not good enough).

The only difference is it has been said publically rather than his non selection hidden behind an 'illness' or 'injury'. His ego can't handle the embarrassment.

Remember the geese

Too much is being made out of ten Hag's comments. They were just the tip of the iceberg as far as Sancho was concerned. His real issue with ten Hag is over his constant selection of Antony.

Maticmaker

That's what ten Hag did with Wout
Exactly, that lad wanted to play for United, it definitely was his dream come true at OT. I remember a few good assists and 'balls around the corner' to set others away, but he was otherwise hopeless and out of his depth as a striker. However he charged around the opposition penalty area like a 'beserker' when they were trying to play out and often forced a final bad ball out of touch, but he filled a gap for a short time, and that was all ETH had wanted, he was... a 'stop-gap'.

redcucumber

If he was well advised, he would never have joined the club. It's best for all parties to just end this chapter I guess. United was stupid to sign him and Sancho was stupid to join United.
Loads of big clubs across Europe were interested in him a few years ago. On paper it made reasonable sense. United are the biggest club in England, can pay big money, had just finished 2nd, also signed Varane and Ronaldo that summer, and were in need of a wide forward. Sancho just can't handle English football. Far too fast and physical for him.

fps

So where does Sancho fit in our worst signings of all time? Above or below Sanchez?

Eplel

So where does Sancho fit in our worst signings of all time? Above or below Sanchez?

He's by far the worst. Having a meltdown because the team expects you to do the bare minimum is worse than anything Pogba, Maguire or Sanchez ever did.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Too much is being made out of ten Hag's comments. They were just the tip of the iceberg as far as Sancho was concerned. His real issue with ten Hag is over his constant selection of Antony.
He got more game time and I am sure he would have replaced Antony by now. He is an idiot for messing that up

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm not buying this, this is the same player who refused to play RW for Ole

Taribo's Gap

This is something managers across the workforce are having to grapple with and adjust to. Like them, ETH will need to adjust for this a bit as well or screen for going forward, because it's not like there is a pipeline of resilient, thick-skinned hardmen coming through after Sancho's generation. Jadon does seem especially soft, but ETH does come across bit rigid as well.

Rolaholic

So you’re unable to separate yourself from a guy you think is so much worse than you and then expect sympathy from anyone? C'mon :lol:

Someone of his supposed caliber would've been expected to outplay and outgraft those in the way of a starting spot instead of throwing in the towel and crying to the press...

nazanto

Sancho is in idiot and wrong in this whole shtick. But what he said about Antony being ETH golden child is true as well. Antony has been largely shite which is similar to Sancho but you'll bet your house on it if Antony available he'll get picked ahead of everyone. Shite overpaid player and alleged woman beater too but hey ho he'll help the defensive shape.

mk7

Maybe he can be in the starting line up of our eSports team? He sure seems to put in a hell of a lot effort in training ...