Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

InfiniteBoredom

Although I first and foremost blame Sancho for this mess, I also find this "say sorry" thing a bit childish. It's kindergarten stuff. "Say sorry that you threw sand in poor Bertha's face". Who cares if he says sorry or not. Instead, Sancho should say "I'll never be late to a team meeting again and do my best in training". I don't really get whyTen Hag insist on Sancho humiliating himself.
It’s an old school concept of discipline, I played truant a fair bit once, my father demanded that I apologised to my classmates when I came back to school, which nobody else demanded. For some people you lack of effort in a team setting is a fault that affects others, I can easily see EtH perceiving Sancho’s training performance as having a deleterious effect on the general mood/performance of his teammates. Heavy handed, sure, but not petty or all that uncommon.

Judas

Open to offers
I just massively struggle to find Ten Hag's handling bad, maybe it's partly because Sancho has been utterly horrid for us. Maybe I'd feel different if it was a player I'd actually you know miss seeing playing for us or has delivered?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Where's the white text?

Don't get some of you lot. Strong management bad, player power good?
Strong management is ‘you’re out’.

‘Say sorry and you can come back, if not you’re out’, is weird and petty.

It’s essentially saying he’s good enough for your squad but I only want him if he says sorry.

It’s bizarre :lol:

Like I said, get rid of him by all means - he’s not suited to the PL.

Unam333

It’s difficult to send a message about training performance when there are multiple members of this squad who down tools in games yet get picked again the next week. Sancho, is hardly the epitome of the player power status quo at Manchester United.

Personally I’ve worked in enough teams to know that not every team member performs to 100% every day. Sancho worded it terribly, for this forum anyway, but his main issue was feeling singled out. He obviously feels his performances in training weren’t that far below others.

People are getting riled about him not apologising but we don’t really know exactly what he’s being asked to apologise for. I’m good either way, sell the whole squad for all I care at this point but EtH chose to replace the carrot with the stick & here we are.
There's absolutely no proof of that.

Dve

How is apologizing a humiliation? AFAIK Sancho is not being asked to wet himself in front of his teammates or anything like that.
Apology in public and in front of the squad. Sounds pretty humiliating to me. Especially if it doesn't come from yourself, but you are forced by others.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

It’s essentially saying he’s good enough for your squad but I only want him if he says sorry.

Maybe he's good enough to play for the team if he shows the right attitude and for Ten Hag saying sorry is an indicator that he's willing to show the right attitude for the team? You think Fergie wouldn't give a young, talented player a second chance of he said sorry and tried harder?

el3mel

If I were him I would go on loan in Jan rather than leaving completely. By the time he returns Ten Hag would be sacked and he could start again under the next manager. Doesn't make sense for him to sacrifice his United salary and prestige as it will only go down hill from him here if he's sold as no other club of the same level will be interested in him, and at the same time I don't think United will be fine throwing another investment in the mud. Loan for now makes perfect sense for all parties.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
It’s petty and small time from ETH.

Fine he wants Sancho out, no problem at all with that.

His handling of it though is that of a petty man.
I'm curious, how do your work environment functions regularly?

Apology in public and in front of the squad. Sounds pretty humiliating to me. Especially if it doesn't come from yourself, but you are forced by others.
What's the source of this?

Dve

yes famously only children say sorry?
Of course not. However, while I do remember I was told to say sorry in school - meaning it or not - I can't recall having been demanded by others to say sorry as an adult. Of course adults say sorry, but by own choice - not because you are told to. That would be pretty humiliating, wouldn't it.

AFC NimbleThumb

Are there any quotes from Ten Hag saying that he’s “demanding” an apology? Or is it just journalistic speculation?

I agree that the whole apology thing sounds rather drama-queeny; something that I wouldn’t associate Ten Hag with.
It’s been well reported that in order to rejoin the first team he’ll need to make compence. I’m not doing this with you mate, if there was no need for some form of apology he’d be back with the squad.

Moving on. . .

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
If someone’s crap at their job I don’t ask them to publicly apologise if that’s what you’re weakly trying to insinuate.

How about yours?

Would your boss give an ultimatum of ‘say sorry or your sacked’?
He isn’t dropped from the senior squad for being crap at his job, he’s dropped because he publicly insulted the his manager by calling him a liar and publishing it on social media.
If you insult someone in public, you apologise in public. It’s not complicated.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He isn’t dropped from the senior squad for being crap at his job, he’s dropped because he publicly insulted the his manager by calling him a liar and publishing it on social media.
Nope, he was dropped for ‘not training well enough’, which is his job - hence he was dropped for being crap at his job.

ETH then chose to announce this publicly to the World - which, again, is fine, but then he didn’t like it when Sancho responded publicly.

If ETH hadn’t publicly put Sancho down, Sancho obviously wouldn’t have responded publicly (as there wouldn’t have been anything to respond to).

As I said multiple times, feck Sancho off, I couldn’t care. But the way ETH has handled this doesn’t give off the aura of a confident hard ass, it gives off the aura of a petty man.

If he can’t handle public response, then don’t dig players out individually publicly - in the present day and age, they will respond.

alexthelion

I understand Sancho in this situation. ETH went out public and critized Sancho for not training well, and ETH then expects Sancho to apologize for claiming that ETH is wrong, and that Sancho is doing his best in training. ETH was wrong to critize him in public.
Oh, boo hoo, poor little Jadon has been asked to work harder. How monstrous of ETH.

Perhaps if Sancho grew up none of this would have needed to happen.

Dve

He didn't use such words, and it's a matter of interpretation if it was a "He's lying", or an "I disagree" - if it is of any importance. Whatever it was, I think we all agree he'd do better to keep quiet.

calcio

He was asked to privately apologize for his instagram post to the manager. Why are we making up things at this point. I am really confused on this thread since the clubs problem is player power and as much has been said from Ragnick and previous managers. This is the same player who has been ousted from country callups for the same immaturity. And Pep as well.

Mercurial

So consensus of this thread is that Sancho is the clown/funnyman of the roster, he is that boombox guy that pester others with playlists, he is the onfield lazy guy afraid to engage despite being a streetballer, he is lazy in training, he overreacts, he likes to stay awake to very late to play games. He is a top earner in the roster, he is petulant, he is pigheaded, he loves to party like it's 2023, he refuses to admit a mistake.

Thank God he is world class and produces win after win for us to compensate some of his flaws.

Pickle85

If someone’s crap at their job I don’t ask them to publicly apologise if that’s what you’re weakly trying to insinuate.

How about yours?

Would your boss give an ultimatum of ‘say sorry or your sacked’?
But he's not being asked to apologise for being crap at his job, is he? Also, I must have missed the part where ETH said that Sancho would be sacked if he didn't apologise. You've a wonderful habit of drawing these ludicrous false equivalences

MrBrightside1989

I assume the apology wouldn't be as simple as saying "sorry gaffer," but would have to come with huge changes in attitude, lifestyle, timekeeping, work rate etc...

People are making it out that ETH is being petty for wanting an apology, I like to think that it may be a change in Sancho's character he wanted most. However, the way Sancho reacted has left the club with no option but to get rid. He should have realised what a great, privileged position he has (350k a week, playing for Man United...) and immediately 'apologised' and worked his ass off to get back in the team.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
People who side with Sancho are delusional. It is not just about an apology, it is about conduct, being a team player and a professional

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I assume the apology wouldn't be as simple as saying "sorry gaffer," but would have to come with huge changes in attitude, lifestyle, timekeeping, work rate etc...

People are making it out that ETH is being petty for wanting an apology, I like to think that it may be a change in Sancho's character he wanted most. However, the way Sancho reacted has left the club with no option but to get rid. He should have realised what a great, privileged position he has (350k a week, playing for Man United...) and immediately 'apologised' and worked his ass off to get back in the team.
Exactly. Every strong manager is about discipline. Pep or SAF would have handled that the same way. This is 100% on Sancho but I guess he is not willing to change his lifestyle and start fighting for his place. How stupid was it anyhow to get upset that Antony is picked and in that moment cant start anymore.

AneRu

He slacked off in training and then publicly called the manager a liar who is scapegoating him effectively undermining the same manager who went above and beyond for him during a difficult period last season. Being asked to apologise, whether publicly or not, is the least any of us could do and we'd be grateful for such leniency in our work environments that pay much, much less in a year than he earns in a week.

He is a sunk cost but we should be making an example of him - no concessionary loans where we pay part of his salary, no pay off if he moves to auch smaller team that can't afford his wages. We should offer no quarter, if he can't reform and fight his way back we should make sure it costs him either in his career or financially when he moves. Throw the kitchen sink at him, don't even allow him to train with the U18s.

McTerminator

Don’t be ridiculous.

Nothing petty about it. You don’t teach your kids to apologise because you’re on a power trip ffs.

It’s about respect and discipline. Something football has been losing for decades.

OmarUnited4ever

I am still opposed to those who think EtH comments are egregious in any way.

In a post match interview, a journalist asked why Sancho was omitted from the match day squad, he answered honestly and said "On his performance on training, we didn't select him. You have to reach the level every day at Manchester United. You can make choices in the front line so in this game he wasn't selected"

Pretty benine comments, and if in another week Sancho is selected to start and performs well (which never happened so far ) Ten Hag would praise him too, this is not something to take issue with and even if it was an issue, Sancho could've talked to Ten Hag privately, posting on Social Media is wrong and shows lack of respect and total disregard to the club, manager, and his teammates, and it is fair that Ten Hag and the club would banish him, but Ten Hag still kept the door open for Sancho to apologize, that's pretty lenient, other managers will just let him go without the chance to come back and apologize, other managers would not even tolerate what Ten Hag tolerates.

gotuna

I think people tend to forget what was said on Sancho after the game against Arsenal. From his post match interview:

Meanwhile, midfielder Scott McTominay and winger Jadon Sancho were absent from the matchday squad altogether.

When asked at the press conference if they were also injured, Ten Hag replied: "No, Scott is ill.

"And Jadon, on his performance in training, was not selected. You have to reach a level at Manchester United every day and we can make choices in the front line. So for this game he was not selected."
"For this game he was not selected."

He's not saying he will be left out of the squad forever. Just until he performs well enough to be in the team again. That is a perfectly normal thing to say and this discussion has been getting out of proportions.

ColvaleGoa

The twit could have watched Beckham's Documentary and see what he went through when Capello banished him. That is what someone with a spine would have done.

Hester_manc

Oh, boo hoo, poor little Jadon has been asked to work harder. How monstrous of ETH.

Perhaps if Sancho grew up none of this would have needed to happen.

It's a bit of a paradox that you make fun of a person's immaturity when you answer this way yourself.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
ETH should not have spoken publicly about it. When asked he should have just said the reasons for his exclusion are between him and Jadon and not for public comment.

As manager he has final decision on who is selected for match day squads and who isn’t.

Turning the whole thing into a public battle looks badly on both sides.

garelo

Scholes apologized, Rooney apologized, why is it such big thing for Sancho to apologize especially when his manager barely criticized him? I think Sancho is just using ETH as spacegoat for his terrible form, blaming him for his own poor attitude, he's acting like a spoilt kid which is maybe he trully is considering he's got everything in his way so far.

mk7

ETH should not have spoken publicly about it. When asked he should have just said the reasons for his exclusion are between him and Jadon and not for public comment.

As manager he has final decision on who is selected for match day squads and who isn’t.

Turning the whole thing into a public battle looks badly on both sides.
How someone can still spin this so that ten Hag shares the blame …

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
Nope, he was dropped for ‘not training well enough’, which is his job - hence he was dropped for being crap at his job.

ETH then chose to announce this publicly to the World - which, again, is fine, but then he didn’t like it when Sancho responded publicly.

If ETH hadn’t publicly put Sancho down, Sancho obviously wouldn’t have responded publicly (as there wouldn’t have been anything to respond to).

As I said multiple times, feck Sancho off, I couldn’t care. But the way ETH has handled this doesn’t give off the aura of a confident hard ass, it gives off the aura of a petty man.

If he can’t handle public response, then don’t dig players out individually publicly - in the present day and age, they will respond.
You didn’t read what I wrote RA.

Read it again and you’ll see that I said that “he was dropped from the senior squad for saying that his manager was a liar and because he published it on social media”.

He was initially dropped from the ‘match day squad’ (first 11 + match day substitutes) for not training well enough, but he was then dropped from the senior squad and now trains with the juniors for, in effect, calling TH a liar and doing so directly into the public domain.

As we both know, and as all right minded decent people know, if you insult someone in front of others then you show contrition by apologising in front of those you paraded your insult in front of. Ergo, if you insult someone publicly you have a moral duty to apologise publicly . .

And TH didn’t dig Sancho out, he didn’t insult him at all, he was just straight as a dye in saying quite honestly that Sancho wasn’t training well enough to be included in the match day squad. No big deal about that, TH was speaking as a grown man to grown men and grown men are straight up aren’t they?
And then Sancho, being the child that he is, acted like a slapped kid, had a tantrum and threw his toys out of his pram.

What was TH he supposed to do, make himself a liar by saying Sancho was injured to hide Sancho’s shit attitude or something?
No way man, and even if TH had been the kind of shit bag to lower himself to lie for a lazy arse then a dink like Sancho would likely have gone on social media to deny it and say that he was fully fit (though not in the head obviously).

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
When we were kids, and had a bad grade at school, parents would blame us and make us study to improve it.

Nowadays when kids get a bad grade, parents blame the teacher and say their kid is special and misunderstood.

Kinda explains why some peole would think Sancho is right. Generation of entitlement, people growing up feeling absolved of any blame or responsibility whatsoever.