Erling Håland | signs for RB Salzburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
Probably in the sense you shouldn't hype up any 15 year old as much as the media did.
In fairness - what he did in the Norwegian top-division, noone has been close to doing before or after. At the age of 15 he totally dominated matches - but in retrospect - should he have signed for Real ? Probably not.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
In fairness - what he did in the Norwegian top-division, noone has been close to doing before or after. At the age of 15 he totally dominated matches - but in retrospect - should he have signed for Real ? Probably not.
Not even in retrospect - many at the time didn't think that Real was the right move for a player of his profile at such an early stage in his career.

As for Håland, good quick feet for the first assist, and good pace for his second goal.

It sounds like his greatest desire is to win the Premier League (albeit with Leeds), so I'd wager United would still get him over Juventus should both be interested, but Arsenal might be a bit more problematic. Hopefully the Ole connection, him having been born in the north of England (Leeds), and United standing more chance of winning the league again would swing it in United's favour.

I don't know what more the United scouts were expecting to see after his game the previous week though - if there's strong interest they should have just snapped him up after that before waiting another week for more of the vultures start circling.

Reactions: Penna

Ventura

He said he wants to go to a club that would take care of him and let him play and develop. I'd like to say that sounds like us, but it kinda doesn't. He'll go somewhere else if he leaves.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He said he wants to go to a club that would take care of him and let him play and develop. I'd like to say that sounds like us, but it kinda doesn't. He'll go somewhere else if he leaves.
Not many English clubs will give a 17/18 year old a chance in the first team, especially as a striker. Best to head off to France/Germany first and develop there.

Acquire Me

Not many English clubs will give a 17/18 year old a chance in the first team, especially as a striker. Best to head off to France/Germany first and develop there.
Rashford says hi.

We do give youngsters a chance, its our dna. Mourinho has been ok in that regard tbf. That said, we could give him a loan.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Rashford says hi.

We do give youngsters a chance, its our dna. Mourinho has been ok in that regard tbf. That said, we could give him a loan.
Rashford was given a chance (different Manager) when our club was in disarray and we had an aging Rooney plodding around the park. There is no way he would be used as a Striker in rotation with Lukaku, he'd be pushed to become a wide forward. Rashford is already struggling to get game time at United let alone any of our other 'wonder' kids in our youth system.

England is shit for teenage development. Very few get senior game time, we're one of the lowest in Europe for giving teenagers game time. Has been the case for years.

Acquire Me

Rashford was given a chance (different Manager) when our club was in disarray and we had an aging Rooney plodding around the park. There is no way he would be used as a Striker in rotation with Lukaku, he'd be pushed to become a wide forward. Rashford is already struggling to get game time at United let alone any of our other 'wonder' kids in our youth system.

England is shit for teenage development. Very few get senior game time, we're one of the lowest in Europe for giving teenagers game time. Has been the case for years.
I cant argue that if true. I thought we were okay. Do you have some stats? Just curious, I do believe you mate.

lysglimt

Scout
If I am being honest here - and ignore the fact that I am a United-fan - I would probably recommend that he goes to a club outside of the Premier League. Holland is generally a good place to start. He will get a lot of minutes on the pitch - and if he performs, he will be sold to the Premier League in a couple of seasons.

lysglimt

Scout
The amount of money combined with the high quality makes it almost impossible to give youngsters a chance. If you look at clubs in Holland like PSV or Ajax - they can afford to give 2-3 youngsters a chance in every single game - and still win games easily.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If I am being honest here - and ignore the fact that I am a United-fan - I would probably recommend that he goes to a club outside of the Premier League. Holland is generally a good place to start. He will get a lot of minutes on the pitch - and if he performs, he will be sold to the Premier League in a couple of seasons.
Agreed, kids need to be smarter these days and actually play football instead of chasing the money early.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I cant argue that if true. I thought we were okay. Do you have some stats? Just curious, I do believe you mate.
U20 Mins

Taking me a while to input them, but you get the point.

The amount of money combined with the high quality makes it almost impossible to give youngsters a chance. If you look at clubs in Holland like PSV or Ajax - they can afford to give 2-3 youngsters a chance in every single game - and still win games easily.
I'm not disagreeing. But the point still stands, we're shit at developing young players in England.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Imagine the unbearable puns if Håland goes to Holland.

Is the Eredivisie really all that these days? Ajax not even making the EL last season on the expense of Rosenborg. The two top scorers in the league last season were a bloke from Iran and a guy from Norway, the latter doesn't even make the first XI for the national team which says a lot. And Netherlands failing to qualify for the last two tournaments has probably something to do with the quality of their league. Obviously a step up from Norway but I'm not convinced Netherlands is the stepping stone it was 8-10 years ago.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Is the Eredivisie really all that these days? Ajax not even making the EL last season on the expense of Rosenborg. The two top scorers in the league last season were a bloke from Iran and a guy from Norway, the latter doesn't even make the first XI for the national team which says a lot. And Netherlands failing to qualify for the last two tournaments has probably something to do with the quality of their league. Obviously a step up from Norway but I'm not convinced Netherlands is the stepping stone it was 8-10 years ago.
No it isn't. It's bloody awful at the moment. I have a method of ranking leagues in Europe and as of 1st July its as follows:
  1. Spain - 185.4
  2. England - 165.4
  3. Italy - 158.7
  4. Germany - 152.7
  5. France - 141.4
  6. Ukraine - 120.4
  7. Russia - 118.7
  8. Portugal - 118.1
  9. Denmark - 112.1
  10. Turkey - 111.5
  11. Switzerland - 90.5
  12. Greece - 77.8
  13. Netherlands - 77.7
  14. Belgium - 70.9
I've been recording data every month since August 2016 and that's the lowest value Netherlands has had so far.

izec

He shouldnt go to a top club. He wont make it anyway immediately. Take the next step and then go to a bigger club

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
No it isn't. It's bloody awful at the moment. I have a method of ranking leagues in Europe and as of 1st July its as follows:
  1. Spain - 185.4
  2. England - 165.4
  3. Italy - 158.7
  4. Germany - 152.7
  5. France - 141.4
  6. Ukraine - 120.4
  7. Russia - 118.7
  8. Portugal - 118.1
  9. Denmark - 112.1
  10. Turkey - 111.5
  11. Switzerland - 90.5
  12. Greece - 77.8
  13. Netherlands - 77.7
  14. Belgium - 70.9
I've been recording data every month since August 2016 and that's the lowest value Netherlands has had so far.
Genuinely intrigued, what criteria do you use?

Could be worthy of its own thread.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He shouldnt go to a top club. He wont make it anyway immediately. Take the next step and then go to a bigger club
A big club could buy him, then loan him out to a smaller club (something we should've done with Shaw), then, if/when he is ready, he can start bench warming and getting some minutes on the pitch for the big club.

Sign him, loan him to Ajax.
I'd be happy with that.

niohdogman

1. Spain - 185.4
  2. England - 165.4
  3. Italy - 158.7
  4. Germany - 152.7
  5. France - 141.4
  6. Ukraine - 120.4
  7. Russia - 118.7
  8. Portugal - 118.1
  9. Denmark - 112.1
  10. Turkey - 111.5
  11. Switzerland - 90.5
  12. Greece - 77.8
  13. Netherlands - 77.7
  14. Belgium - 70.9
Why not just simply use https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html ? Apparently last season England were the best league according to UEFA.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Genuinely intrigued, what criteria do you use?

Could be worthy of its own thread.
Spoiler below:

Point Scoring:

CL/EU Win = 3pts, Draw = 1pts, Loss = 0pts
CL Qualifier/EU Qualifier Win = 1.5pts, Draw = 0.5pts, Loss = 0pts

I record the previous 3 seasons worth of data for every club in each league using the above.

I then use the following formula:

*note that the first brackets calculates the average points for each league, makes it fairer for leagues with less slots.

( ( Total CL Pts / CL Games ) * 81.25) + ( ( Total EU Pts / EU Games ) * 20.00)

That then gives me a value for the league, I repeat the above for every league. The majority of the points come from CL games but Europa still does count and helps boost up the score.

As I update it every month it gradually removes the older fixtures and replaces with the most current ones. By using 3 years of data it doesn't mean Leagues will rise/fall sharply. But if clubs from a league do poorly in Europe in a season it will have a knock on effect for the foreseeable future. It took me a while to strike a good balance for the point system but also make it fair. I actually then use this league system to calculate club rank as well.

Anyway this is way, way offtopic. :p

Feel free to PM me for more information if you like.

lysglimt

Scout

I agree that Bjørn Maars Johnsen isn't a superstriker - but what do you mean that he doesn't make the first XI ? There are 4 strikers battling it out for the positions - he is 2/3 behind King

BiggusD

Supports
Molde FK
To those who think that Håland would be cheap and a nice addition to the youth/reserves team, Molde is unlikely to accept anything less than £10m for him. He and his father are going to choose a club which see him as at least a squad rotation player, except if there is a loan-back deal.

The record fee for a player from the Norwegian league is £7m for John Carew from Rosenborg to Valencia in 2000. The expectation of the fans is that this record is broken thoroughly, especially if Premier League clubs are involved.

The highest fee for a Norwegian player was Tore André Flo to Rangers for £12m, also in 2000, until Mohamed Elyounoussi signed for Southampton from Basel this summer for a reported £16m. Molde is a smaller club than Basel, but given his age and the demand for home-grown players for Champions League, the fans expect even this record to break when Erling Braut Håland leaves Norway for a club like Manchester United.

Of course, £20m is probably cheap for you guys ;)

Reactions: Penna

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I agree that Bjørn Maars Johnsen isn't a superstriker - but what do you mean that he doesn't make the first XI ? There are 4 strikers battling it out for the positions - he is 2/3 behind King
When everyone's fit I'm expecting King and Sørloth to start. Maars, Tarik and Kamara are second string imo.

Stadjer

Think he couldn't even break in Heerenven and was benched at some point? I know he's young and all, but there are lads at his age that caught up with the initial hype and even surpassed him.
Nah he wasnt bad for Heerenveen. I dont follow Heerenveen that closely but he did alright. He showed he has talent but he hasnt really showed that with goals/assists (yet).

Stadjer

Our league is so bad that i can hardly watch it but i think it is still a good place to develop. You wont be dropped after a bad game and you can show yourself to big clubs... there are still loads of scouts coming to our little country.

Two years ago Ajax signed Sanchez and he got sold a year later for big money and holds his own in the Premier League now. Last year PSV signed Lozano and he did fine at the World Cup and scored against the world champion (he could have been topscorer in the Eredividie if he didnt get suspended multiple times).

The current Eredivisie problem is that all the young players with slightly above average talent get snatched by (mostly) English clubs and will not get that Eredivisie experience but instead play for under 21's in England or sold/loaned to clubs without a clear plan for that talent. Dutch clubs also try to sign foreign talent at a very young age but usually with the intention to actually give them a chance since no Dutch club can afford to hoard young players like some English clubs do.

If United would sign this kid loaning hin for 1/2 seasons to a Dutch club wouldnt be the worst idea... we are basically becoming a 'loanie league' anyway with Chelsea/Vitesse and City/NAC for example. Loaning to a well run club which gives young players a chance is still not a bad idea in my opinion.

lysglimt

Scout
Molde apparently want €5 million - and Juventus have made an offer in that region. News came in one of Norways biggest tv-channels (TV2) after an interview with an italian journalist from il Tempo. I take this as very credible.

If we want him - we better act quickly.

BiggusD

Supports
Molde FK
The rumor is that Juventus has offered €5m, not that Molde has accepted the bid.

lysglimt

Scout
The rumor is that Juventus has offered €5m, not that Molde has accepted the bid.
Nah the rumour was that Molde wanted about €5 million and that Juventus has made an offer in that region. But I never said that Molde had accepted the bid - but they will.

"Juventus skal være trygge på å få budet godkjent. Moldes krav var på rundt fem millioner euro – som tilsvarer cirka 48 millioner kroner – og den regjerende Serie A-mesteren skal være klare for å fullføre handelen"

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Watched some of his highlight reels earlier. Has one of the strangest running styles I've seen.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
I'm not disagreeing. But the point still stands, we're shit at developing young players in England.
World Cup Semi-Finalists say "Hello!!".

Look at the technical ability of lots of the current England team who have spent much of their early years learning their trade in the lower leagues and it's clear that your view is outdated nonsense.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
World Cup Semi-Finalists say "Hello!!".

Look at the technical ability of lots of the current England team who have spent much of their early years learning their trade in the lower leagues and it's clear that your view is outdated nonsense.
Yeah England is doing brilliantly at youth level at the moment, not sure we should really be slagged off about that certain department.
We're off topic. Post in a relevant thread.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
No "we're" not off topic: you said that "we're shit at developing young players in England" as a reason why Håland might consider signing for a club in a different country instead. However, the ability of current young English players (and in addition one could point to young players from abroad who have developed mostly in England, e.g. Lukaku), it's pretty clear that actually England is a very good place for a young player to develop.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
:lol:

1. Make a statement

2. Get highlighted why said statement is incorrect

3. "We're off topic. Post in a relevant thread"

In any case, Juve are moving pretty quickly on the lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.