Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I’m sorry but you can’t just have one foot as a striker and number 9 at the top club, especially in EPL. He doesn’t leave opponents guessing and would be figured by the defenders pretty quickly around here imo as he always turns to his left with his back to the goal in this video. You can have a preference but not to this extent and not a single quality finish with his right foot is rather concerning. We would be mad to pay 60m for this very young lad at this stage.
Longstaff would have cost us 50m if we are interested, young players are expensive these days.

romufc

Yes sure there is a risk in it, but do you think many hottest young forwards are willing to choose us over other top European clubs, and sign for low fee? Maybe we can get another James for cheap, but its not that easy. Once we have a chance to sign someone with real talents, and the price is affordable, why not.
And if Martial is out injured again, our season is totally fecked.
Agreed, we do need another striker but I doubt we will sign him in January.

If we sign him, it would be worth then Greenwood going on loan somewhere for a season.

izec

He was born in Leeds, his Dad played for them for a few years and I'm guessing they are the team his Dad enjoyed playing for most. Just be glad he didn't bring him up as a City fan...
Yeah right thanks, forgot that his dad is that guy who clashed with Keane

Schneckerl

If I am not wrong, our main striker is Martial.
I don't know how that implies that we shouldn't sign a RW. Martial played around 1600 mins on average for the past 3 league seasons, so you can't count on him being a reliable starter - whether it's main striker or whatever - anyways.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So we should spend £60m on a19 year old striker when we have a 24 year old and 18 year old coming through? Shall we sell Greenwood without giving him a chance?

I am not saying he is not a good player but not what we need right now, adding more kids to a inexperienced forward line is not going to help anyone.
Personally, I don't see Greenwood's long term position as a striker. I think he will alternate between left and right forward/wing...

romufc

I don't know how that implies that we shouldn't sign a RW. Martial played around 1600 mins on average for the past 3 league seasons, so you can't count on him being a reliable starter - whether it's main striker or whatever - anyways.
I guess you need to put things into context first.

Martial was never given the chance to play CF by Jose - he was left out of the team more often than not.

If you check how many games he has missed through injury then, it will give you a better indication.

romufc

Personally, I don't see Greenwood's long term position as a striker. I think he will alternate between left and right forward/wing...
Fair enough, more of a Rashford but the opposite side. I would like to see him sent on loan if we sign another young striker tbh then, whatever position he ends up at.

Handré1990

So we should spend £60m on a19 year old striker when we have a 24 year old and 18 year old coming through? Shall we sell Greenwood without giving him a chance?

I am not saying he is not a good player but not what we need right now, adding more kids to a inexperienced forward line is not going to help anyone.
This mentality that we shouldn’t buy a first rate talent because we have a potential player in Greenwood, and Martial (really the only viable option at ST position right now) there now, I really struggle to understand. Competition is a good thing. Greenwood has already played full games this season, delivering the match winning goal in a couple, and is in and around the first team. If we are sincere in our wish to fight for the top prizes we shouldn’t think like that, at all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I watched him in only 1 game and I was fully impressed with his game. We should sign him, looks like a complete player.

troylocker

There is allways a risk to buy young players, but this guy has the endproduct already and he would start scoring from the start. We need a top striker, and Haaland looks the part already at 19. Bigger talent than any in our squad, including Pogba in my opinion. No 19 year old has ever put up the numbers he is putting up this season, no 25 year old either for that sake. A goal every 45 minutes (Europe/cup/league/National teams) and a team player with monster physique and speed, is insane even if he plays in the 12th best league in Europe. I've seen all his games since the 4 goal match against Brann last year, and he looks a potential legend/generational talent to me, with his own unique skillset and physical attributes. We'd be totally crazy if we didn't get this guy because he might stand in the way of our present lesser talents. If we don't get him now, he will be out of our reach for ever.

troylocker

I am on the hype-train, yes, but I think with good reason. I have seriously not seen a 19 year old striker stand out like him since R9 in PSV.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I am on the hype-train, yes, but I think with good reason. I have seriously not seen a 19 year old striker stand out like him since R9 in PSV.
Eh, someone was pissed when I wrote that McTominay’s potential/ceiling could be something similar to Keane.

But saying thay Haaland «stands out more» than Mbappe, Rooney, Owen, Anelka, Raul, Torres etc is a stretch on another level.

troylocker

Eh, someone was pissed when I wrote that McTominay’s potential/ceiling could be something similar to Keane.

But saying thay Haaland «stands out more» than Mbappe, Rooney, Owen, Anelka, Raul, Torres etc is a stretch on another level.
They were all fantastic talents, already playing in better leagues, yes. Here are their numbers for the season starting the year they all turned 19:

Torres: 21 goals in 3191 minutes in La liga and Copa del rey
Owen: 18 goals in 2526 minutes in Premier league.
Rooney: 14 goals in 2713 minutes in Premier league and CL
Raul: 22 goals in 47 matches in La liga and Copa del rey
Anelka: 17 goals in 2807 minutes in PL
Mbappe: 21 goals in 3300 minutes in L1, cup and CL

Haaland so far this season: 22 goals in 1070 minutes in ABL, cup and CL

It will be very interesting to see what Haaland can do in a better league for a top club.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

In my opinion Haaland is on another level compared to McTominay.
With a top manager in a better league he might become the next Lewandowski. Of course there is no guarantee.

Steamboat Willy

It’s a no brainer really fo 60m. Either we get our future no. 1 striker for a decade. If he fails to take the step up, we pass him on in 3 years time for about 50-55 due to the inflation in transferfees.

Last edited:

Handré1990

In my opinion Haaland is on another level compared to McTominay.
With a top manager in a better league he might become the next Lewandowski. Of course there is no guarantee.
Different positions, but of course he is. Top teams have always paid top dollar for goalscorers, which is what he really excels at.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Seems like a lot of money for an Austrian league striker. His compilations aren't even that impressive. But I suppose we have to trust this new process.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Seems like a lot of money for an Austrian league striker. His compilations aren't even that impressive. But I suppose we have to trust this new process.
Don't watch a lot of CL?

redshaw

The bits I've seen show him dribbling/driving past players, holding the ball and turning to shoot. I don't see him as just a poacher that's been said on here.

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
Judging solely from his YouTube highlights, he has similarities to a young (but taller) Rooney. He is fast, he is aggressive and appears to be ruthless in front of the goal. Of course, his goalscoring record right now seems phenomenal, but we have to keep in mind that (1) he is playing in Austria and (2) it is way to soon to conclude that he can keep this up. We all remember players like Michu in that amazing Swansea stint or Cissé when he couldn't stop scoring for Newcastle for a couple of months.

We should forget about his amazing goalscoring record for a bit and really look at his skills. As I said: He does seem fast and he does seem physical. He seems to prefer his left foot quite a bit. His dribbling and his first touch seem (slightly) above average, but I assume that his highlights on YouTube just omit technical errors as opposed to there not being any.

What I'm saying is: It's ludicrous for anyone who hasn't really watched him - me included - to be happy to spend 60M on him. That's what has gotten us in this mess: grossly overspending on players.
Does he look like a generational talent in his videos: I say no. He looks like a good young player with an amazing physique on an amazing run of form. I might be wrong - again I also haven't really watched him. But if I'm not even overly impressed (meaning that he is worth 60M, not meaning he isn't a good young player) by his highlights, I highly doubt that.

Seven Seas Sardines

Judging solely from his YouTube highlights, he has similarities to a young (but taller) Rooney. He is fast, he is aggressive and appears to be ruthless in front of the goal. Of course, his goalscoring record right now seems phenomenal, but we have to keep in mind that (1) he is playing in Austria and (2) it is way to soon to conclude that he can keep this up. We all remember players like Michu in that amazing Swansea stint or Cissé when he couldn't stop scoring for Newcastle for a couple of months.

We should forget about his amazing goalscoring record for a bit and really look at his skills. As I said: He does seem fast and he does seem physical. He seems to prefer his left foot quite a bit. His dribbling and his first touch seem (slightly) above average, but I assume that his highlights on YouTube just omit technical errors as opposed to there not being any.

What I'm saying is: It's ludicrous for anyone who hasn't really watched him - me included - to be happy to spend 60M on him. That's what has gotten us in this mess: grossly overspending on players.
Does he look like a generational talent in his videos: I say no. He looks like a good young player with an amazing physique on an amazing run of form. I might be wrong - again I also haven't really watched him. But if I'm not even overly impressed (meaning that he is worth 60M, not meaning he isn't a good young player) by his highlights, I highly doubt that.
The only one who'd decide to spend the money is his former manager who probably knows a great deal about him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
60m For a player from Austrian league . :rolleyes:

Who would be better - Werner or Him ?

Werner would be cheaper I guess.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I prefer Hwang Hee-Chan, personally, but I can't blame us for going for this lad.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
20 clubs watching it but you're concerned because he's from the Austrian league? :confused:
"Watching" is a relative word though. All clubs watch talented players.

We sold Lukaku for 75m and getting this guy for 60m. So this deal would make sense only if the potential is as good as Lukaku.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
"Watching" is a relative word though. All clubs watch talented players.

We sold Lukaku for 75m and getting this guy for 60m. So this deal would make sense only if the potential is as good as Lukaku.
So then what's the issue? You don't generate this kind of interest, from the biggest clubs in the world, unless you've already demonstrated an incredible aptitude for the game.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
My first thought when I saw the 60 million headline was. "Is that it?" Honestly thought they'd be asking near twice that much tbh.

fps

Hahahaahaha the hype on here and you've all barely seen him play. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.